NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:40 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:32 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

nomorespinsports wrote:
I would assume Holy Cross is fairly comfortable in the Patriot League. They are in a conference with like-minded schools with which one could argue they have rivalries with. I would be very surprised if Holy Cross up and left

You're probably right. They passed being involved in the original Big East formation...wonder if they regret that.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:34 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Blog article out of Albany(previously posted on another thread) with comments from MAAC Commish who would like to add La Salle,Holy Cross,and Fordham to the MAAC but none of these schools has shown any interest.Therefore,he doesn't believe that there will be any MAAC moves in the near future.Link at http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesport ... -maac/3965

I've always felt that the MAAC was a better place for LaSalle (as an A10 fan). Same with St. Bonaventure and Duquesne. It's amazing the parity in the A10 while there are perfect homes for schools like those above and Fordham in the Patriot.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I keep thinking that the Patriot will add Marist, especially if Fordham leaves PL football.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of Allentown reporting that MAAC member Loyola of Maryland will be leaving for the Patriot League for 2013-2014.Link at http://blogs.mcall.com/varsity/2012/08/ ... ember.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

BB blog article discussing Loyola leaving the MAAC and possibility of the MAAC trying to add a school "like" Bryant in the future,Link at http://www.midmajormadness.com/2012/8/2 ... eague-maac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:04 am 
Senior
Senior

If I had to take a guess, I'd look at Hartford as the only (after this season) private school of the A-East to move to the MAAC. Just as I look at C Connecticut State to leave the NEC as the only remaining public school. At 7,000+ Hartford is the smallest member of the A-East by about 4,000 students. They would however be the largest member of the MAAC by about 1,000 students.

That would put the NEC at 11 and the A-East at 7 (or back to 8 if C Conn does join A-East non football)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:53 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
If I had to take a guess, I'd look at Hartford as the only (after this season) private school of the A-East to move to the MAAC. Just as I look at C Connecticut State to leave the NEC as the only remaining public school. At 7,000+ Hartford is the smallest member of the A-East by about 4,000 students. They would however be the largest member of the MAAC by about 1,000 students.

That would put the NEC at 11 and the A-East at 7 (or back to 8 if C Conn does join A-East non football)

I'm with ya, I think Hartford would be a good fit for the MAAC. They'd give the conference a 2nd CT school and one in the largest city in the state.

There is also the opportunity to push into new markets like Robert Morris (Pittsburgh), push further north with schools like Bryant, or even lock down the NY/NJ region at their tier with a school like Monmouth. Good thing is that the MAAC has a god number of options...any NEC school as well as schools like Hartford, which would be a great addition.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:42 pm 
Senior
Senior

What is the benefit of moving from NEC to MAAC for a school like Monmouth, Robert Morris or Bryant? All three have football. MAAC does not like it's schools to have football.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:53 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

dbackjon wrote:
What is the benefit of moving from NEC to MAAC for a school like Monmouth, Robert Morris or Bryant? All three have football. MAAC does not like it's schools to have football.

Prestige for one. The MAAC might not be a huge step up from the NEC, but it's still a way to climb. You won't see many NEC schools move to the Patriot or CAA, but you will see MAAC schools make that jump...maybe even direct MAAC to A10 depending on the circumstances (Siena was a strong A10 candiate in years past). Also, so if a school moves to the MAAC, does that mean they wouldn't be able to remain as a football-only NEC member?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Prestige for one. The MAAC might not be a huge step up from the NEC, but it's still a way to climb. You won't see many NEC schools move to the Patriot or CAA, but you will see MAAC schools make that jump...maybe even direct MAAC to A10 depending on the circumstances (Siena was a strong A10 candiate in years past). Also, so if a school moves to the MAAC, does that mean they wouldn't be able to remain as a football-only NEC member?

Why would the NEC toss the one trump card it has, football? I read somewhere where they won't let NEC full members leave and still have fb. I don't know if it's a fact but it makes a lot of sense.

Is it worth it for Robert Morris, Bryant, or Monmouth to go Indy and eventually drop fb like all the other MAAC schools did, for the "prestige" of the MAAC and its 1 bid play-in game having league that the NEC also is.

I know the MAAC schools names are a little more recognizable but is it worth dumping fb? No

Last edited by Fresno St. Alum on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:25 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Quinn wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Why would the NEC toss the one trump card it has, football? I read somewhere where they won't let NEC full members leave and still have fb. I don't know if it's a fact but it makes a lot of sense.

Is it worth it for Robert Morris, Bryant, or Monmouth to go Indy and eventually drop fb like all the other MAAC schools did, for the "prestige" of the MAAC and its 1 bid play-in game having leave that the NEC also is.

I know the MAAC schools names are a little more recognizable but is it worth dumping fb? No

Of course, the Patriot might be a football only option for a school that moves. I don't know what the scholarship situation with these two conferences is but it could be an option.

"Starting with the 2013 academic year, each school will be allowed no more than the equivalent of 15 scholarships to incoming football players, according to the release. The total number of scholarships can’t exceed 60 in any season. "

Not sure I understand what that means. Are they allowed 15 per year and then after four years they can never exceed 60? Or are they allowed to give 60 quarter scholarships?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:39 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

It seems to me that the MAAC will look to replace Loyola with a non-football school from the NEC so that would mean we're probably choosing from Quinnipiac, Farleigh Dickinson, St Francis (NY), Long Island, Mt Saint Mary's. If I had to take a stab in the dark I'd guess maybe Quinnipiac.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
It seems to me that the MAAC will look to replace Loyola with a non-football school from the NEC so that would mean we're probably choosing from Quinnipiac, Farleigh Dickinson, St Francis (NY), Long Island, Mt Saint Mary's. If I had to take a stab in the dark I'd guess maybe Quinnipiac.

Take out LIU, it's public and if LIU-Post merges, then LIU would then have fb. I also have Quinnipiac in my what could happen the next 3 years thread on the FCS board,

If the Patriot takes a fb only I'd put my money on Bryant, but wouldn't they need to wait 3 or 4 year when they get up to 45 schollies if it means 15 per year add until they hit 60.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:44 pm 
Junior
Junior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Take out LIU, it's public and if LIU-Post merges, then LIU would then have fb. I also have Quinnipiac in my what could happen the next 3 years thread on the FCS board,

If the Patriot takes a fb only I'd put my money on Bryant, but wouldn't they need to wait 3 or 4 year when they get up to 45 schollies if it means 15 per year add until they hit 60.

LIU is private, but I think you are right on your assessment and I would love for Bryant to move to the MAAC if it meant PL football.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:17 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

How is the MAAC better? From my West Coast perch, I can't really tell them apart, and always have to look up who is in which conference. Am actually more familair with the NEC since they sponsor football, which IMO puts them ahead of the MAAC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next