NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:47 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:21 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

From what I understand about the LIU-Brooklyn/LIU-Post situation they are either going to merge the programs or LIU-Post is going to upgrade to DI FCS. If they upgrade but don't merge, the more prominent Brooklyn campus could conceivably move to the more prestigious AEC and the satellite campus out in the suburbs, LIU-Post could assume Brooklyn's old spot in the NEC. I say AEC and not the MAAC because as large as LIU-Brooklyn's enrollment is I think they could hand with the public schools. LIU-Brooklyn departing might be somewhat dicey and political though--the NEC might give the ultimatum: both LIU's or none.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:28 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

dbackjon wrote:
Quinn wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
What is the benefit of moving from NEC to MAAC for a school like Monmouth, Robert Morris or Bryant? All three have football. MAAC does not like it's schools to have football.

Prestige for one. The MAAC might not be a huge step up from the NEC, but it's still a way to climb. You won't see many NEC schools move to the Patriot or CAA, but you will see MAAC schools make that jump...maybe even direct MAAC to A10 depending on the circumstances (Siena was a strong A10 candiate in years past). Also, so if a school moves to the MAAC, does that mean they wouldn't be able to remain as a football-only NEC member?

How is the MAAC better? From my West Coast perch, I can't really tell them apart, and always have to look up who is in which conference. Am actually more familair with the NEC since they sponsor football, which IMO puts them ahead of the MAAC.

To answer that question, its really all about basketball schools when it comes to these smaller northeastern schools. The MAAC is almost entirely Catholic, (I believe Rider is the lone exception), and has traditionally been the stronger basketball conference. The NEC on the other hand is a mix of schools and doesn't have the same cohesiveness and common identity and has traditionally been weaker and more of a feeder conference. With a few notable exceptions, most of the NEC schools have smaller enrollments than the MAAC schools.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

dgreco wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
It seems to me that the MAAC will look to replace Loyola with a non-football school from the NEC so that would mean we're probably choosing from Quinnipiac, Farleigh Dickinson, St Francis (NY), Long Island, Mt Saint Mary's. If I had to take a stab in the dark I'd guess maybe Quinnipiac.

Take out LIU, it's public and if LIU-Post merges, then LIU would then have fb. I also have Quinnipiac in my what could happen the next 3 years thread on the FCS board,

If the Patriot takes a fb only I'd put my money on Bryant, but wouldn't they need to wait 3 or 4 year when they get up to 45 schollies if it means 15 per year add until they hit 60.

LIU is private, but I think you are right on your assessment and I would love for Bryant to move to the MAAC if it meant PL football.

Whoa, w/ a name LIU-Anything makes it sound public. It's using a name like CSU-Fullerton, yet it's private. Learn something new every day. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:59 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
It seems to me that the MAAC will look to replace Loyola with a non-football school from the NEC so that would mean we're probably choosing from Quinnipiac, Farleigh Dickinson, St Francis (NY), Long Island, Mt Saint Mary's. If I had to take a stab in the dark I'd guess maybe Quinnipiac.

That is probably the MAAC's list of replacements

LIU is private and but not Catholic and would dwarf all the others in enrollment

St Francis NY is private and Catholic but has a smaller enrollment compared to all other MAAC Schools, about 500 less than Seina, the MAAC's current smallest enrollment school

Wagner is not Catholic and is even smaller than St Francis.

Mt. St. Mary's is Catholic but is not geographically friendly and is smaller than St Francis

Sacred Heart is private and Catholic but has a bigger enrollment than all current MAAC schools and is in the same town as current MAAC member Farfield

Quinnipiac is private but not Catholic. They would also become the biggest MAAC school if admitted

Same with Farleigh Dickinson and Momouth

Othe NEC schools like Bryant, Robert Morris, St Francis PA are not geographically friendly

No standout candidate that makes perfect sense. St Francis NY is probably the closest to the current MAAC profile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Bridgeport with comments from Fairfield AD regarding Loyola and the future MAAC realignment situation at http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Lo ... 825731.php

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Staten Island discussing possibility of Wagner joining the MAAC at http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/go ... ege_c.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Who had Wagner? anyone? They play NEC football, they gonna go to the Pioneer or drop it? Will the NEC let them stay since if they and CCSU leave they'd have what, the min 6?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

This blog about Wagner just sounds like the idle musings of some guy.

He doesn't seem to offer anything to indicate that Wagner is being considered.

Well, maybe they are ! But if so, it would seem he should be mentioning "informed sources..."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:39 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

tute79 wrote:
This blog about Wagner just sounds like the idle musings of some guy."

That is kind of funny - most of the posts here are the idle musings of some guy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:05 am 
All-Star
All-Star

civilrat wrote:
tute79 wrote:
This blog about Wagner just sounds like the idle musings of some guy."

That is kind of funny - most of the posts here are the idle musings of some guy.

yup, that's why I like to run w/ any little thing, so we can discuss. CCSU as a full member to the CAA if the SoCon says no, this, ND all but fb in the ACC etc..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Well, we all do our idle musings but none of us take it too seriously and we make idle remarks about "yeah... just move that over to the "Dream Conference" thread.
I don't take myself too seriously and readily admit I can generate a ton of crap !

My point is that more than a few of these posts (and I'm NOt suggesting that we don't post them) involve "bloggers" who sort of frame their musings
as "pseudo-journalism" on web-sites that contain actual stories that have meaningful sources named (sources being people in the know, or actual decision-makers).
So it becomes difficult at times to sort out an author who goes out and states actual quotes and information from reliable sources
vs. an author who basically starts typing up nonsense as it pops into his head.

I do not want to discourage the latter type of author, just identify his writings as "non-journalism".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Well, we all do our idle musings but none of us take it too seriously and we make idle remarks about "yeah... just move that over to the "Dream Conference" thread.
I don't take myself too seriously and readily admit I can generate a ton of crap !

My point is that more than a few of these posts (and I'm NOt suggesting that we don't post them) involve "bloggers" who sort of frame their musings
as "pseudo-journalism" on web-sites that contain actual stories that have meaningful sources named (sources being people in the know, or actual decision-makers).
So it becomes difficult at times to sort out an author who goes out and states actual quotes and information from reliable sources
vs. an author who basically starts typing up nonsense as it pops into his head.

I do not want to discourage the latter type of author, just identify his writings as "non-journalism".

We're guestimating.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:04 pm 
Junior
Junior

http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/ms ... 0914nizj3s

Bryant's men's swimming & diving will be an associate member in the MAAC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Per @wspaxton (Fairfield beat writer)

Source: Quinnipiac, Monmouth reportedly to join MAAC.

Why 11, the MAAC always has 10, is someone else leaving? Is this guy full of sh*t?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Perhaps something tied in with NJIT (finding a conference), Central Connecticut State (to CAA or AE/CAA FB), LIU-Post (moving up from D-2) ???

I'm just throwing stuff out there...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next