NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:16 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Bangor with comments from UMaine AD regarding future AE realignment at http://bangordailynews.com/2012/06/27/s ... -expansion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:55 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

AE pulls a CAA and takes it out on BU's kids. Keepin' it classy, AE!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:24 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:

Good for the America East. I wish all conferences did that - might keep some schools from hopping beds so frequently.

America East owes BU nothing. If a school left my conference, I'd prefer them not to be a part of any championship.

Look at it this way - if a student transfer from one DI school to another, he has to sit out a year. Why should a school have to do the same?

BU is leaving the AE voluntarily. America East is just protecting the LOYAL members, not the traitors.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:29 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

dbackjon wrote:
Look at it this way - if a student transfer from one DI school to another, he has to sit out a year. Why should a school have to do the same?

I can't look at it that way, because they didn't necessarily come into BU knowing they would be the victim of this. The rule isn't that hopping means automatic disqualification. The rule is just setting a date for disqualification. For each sponsored sport.

The student athlete is screwed either by another college's president or by the NCAA's transfer policies. In one of those scenarios, the student knew what they were in for. That can't be said about the other.

I will say that I don't think highly of BU the athletic department. These guys were such tight screws on AE matters, and the way BU handled its departure from AE, then making a sucker-punch statement about stability as a catalyst for the conference change; I can't say I'm tickled pink by AE doing this, but I am happy BU is on the receiving end of a cheap-shot after giving so many.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The only reason I like it, is it gives the AEC schools who have never been to the Tourney a much better shot. BU has cock blocked SBU before. I wish Vermont would go to another conf too, they're cockblockers.

I was so happy when Valpo finally got the f*ck out of the Summit, look at all the different schools that have made it since they left.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:28 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
sec03 wrote:
The MWC may have expectations that within a few years Boise State may come running back to them. This even further diminishes the possibility that the MWC would embrace Idaho. Also doubt the MWC would be interested in NMSU, particularly with UNM as a MWC staple.

As to WAC Commish Hurd, I expect he has made a lot of phone calls to any school that could be considered a reasonable prospect. He's probably gotten multiple, flat "NOs'", and others saying "only if this school and/or that school also joins, etc.". If Hurd has little to nothing to offer enticements, he would have to be a miracle worker to save the WAC.

I think he got 5 yes' and a maybe. UVU, CSUB, UTPA, Chicago St., GCU. Maybe NJIT waiting to see the dominoes from CAA seeing if NEC or AEC gives them a home.

WAC should be concerned w/ Denver going to the Summit. I'm not sure if Fullerton really wants 2 more WAC members or if he's bsing.

You've posted often about NJIT and the AEast, as if it is something that is highly possible. But as a guy from northern Jersey and well aware of the NJIT facilities and reputation in the region, I'm not so sure that is such a high possibility. I think the AE has much better options, like various NEC schools that have privately expressed interest. I think you'd also find the AE look at a few possible D2 upgrades before NJIT. It's not to say NJIT wouldn't be an AE option...it's just that I think it would require a few "not interested" responses from NEC and maybe even 1-2 D2 schools before NJIT skyrockets to the top of the list.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:17 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Just out of curiosity, Quinn, who are those top DII schools that America East might be looking at? I'm a Midwesterner and am not really privy to the pecking order up in the Northeast.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:07 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Just out of curiosity, Quinn, who are those top DII schools that America East might be looking at? I'm a Midwesterner and am not really privy to the pecking order up in the Northeast.

He doesn't know he's just throwing out there to show how low they are, he relies on me for his D-II info. LIU-Post as of today is interested in either moving D-I or merging w/ LIU-Brooklyn and having them take Post's fb or stay D-II and play in the NE-10 for fb and stay in the ECC for all other sports. The only other school in the NE that was interested in D-I was LeMoyne, 5 years ago, they have since said it's not an option.

So all of those D-II schools are 1 that might merge w/ a D-I school or join the NEC.

I put the NEC first when talking about NJIT and a conf. If the AEC plans on snagging a NEC school it would need to be one w/o fb. If they land C.Conn St., it would mean CCSU fb only in the CAA. AEC is already down to 8, you never know what or who the CAA takes or if the Patriot takes another school from the AEC to go to 10. At what point does the NEC look better than the AEC, having fb already helps. The Big South and A-Sun were basically the same, schools even left the Big South for the A-Sun, Big South started fb, now they have become the better conf and they have taken back from the A-Sun and let the A-Sun take the D-II move ups. That's where I throw in the AEC. As long as the AEC is stronger than the NEC then NJIT will not get in. If it falls below the NEC where no one would move then it's very likely.

You put too much into the name AEC, the point is, is that after the dominoes fall there's a damn good chance NJIT ends up in an eastern conf. and doesn't join or have to stay too long in a all across america wac.

How likely was A&M to the SEC in your mind? you banned SJSU for a week for posting about it. I agreed w/ you that I thought politics wouldn't allow it. We were wrong. So think of me putting both eastern conf. names w/ NJIT as a way of me covering my bases.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:44 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

He doesn't know he's just throwing out there to show how low they are, he relies on me for his D-II info. LIU-Post as of today is interested in either moving D-I or merging w/ LIU-Brooklyn and having them take Post's fb or stay D-II and play in the NE-10 for fb and stay in the ECC for all other sports. The only other school in the NE that was interested in D-I was LeMoyne, 5 years ago, they have since said it's not an option.

So all of those D-II schools are 1 that might merge w/ a D-I school or join the NEC.

I put the NEC first when talking about NJIT and a conf. If the AEC plans on snagging a NEC school it would need to be one w/o fb. If they land C.Conn St., it would mean CCSU fb only in the CAA. AEC is already down to 8, you never know what or who the CAA takes or if the Patriot takes another school from the AEC to go to 10. At what point does the NEC look better than the AEC, having fb already helps. The Big South and A-Sun were basically the same, schools even left the Big South for the A-Sun, Big South started fb, now they have become the better conf and they have taken back from the A-Sun and let the A-Sun take the D-II move ups. That's where I throw in the AEC. As long as the AEC is stronger than the NEC then NJIT will not get in. If it falls below the NEC where no one would move then it's very likely.

You put too much into the name AEC, the point is, is that after the dominoes fall there's a damn good chance NJIT ends up in an eastern conf. and doesn't join or have to stay too long in a all across america wac.

How likely was A&M to the SEC in your mind? you banned SJSU for a week for posting about it. I agreed w/ you that I thought politics wouldn't allow it. We were wrong. So think of me putting both eastern conf. names w/ NJIT as a way of me covering my bases.

Alrighty. At no point did I claim anything about any D2 schools actively looking to get into the America East. But as we know, as we've seen quite recently, when a conference has an interest in a D2 school, it tends to get the ball rolling on an upgrade. With my knowledge of NJIT...being that the school is just miles from where I've spent the majority fo my life, that simply having a location in a region will not be any type of golden ticket to be in a position where they aren't just getting an invite from the NEC but from the AE, a conference that will be more difficult to get into.

As for the NEC, if there are provisions in the NEC membership guidelines that say that a school cannot be a member of one conference while participating in the NEC for football, and that being the reason for your comments about CCSU "needing" to join the CAA for football. Because the NEC football arrangement seems to have worked out quite well for non-NEC member Duquesne (A10) as well as departing school Albany (AE)...and even URI is still an option, pending any last minute return to the CAA.

You're right about the current status...as long as the AE has options from the NEC based on the pecking order, NJIT will likely be out in the cold. And yes, that could change...since the loss of BU will have an effect on the AE. But we're still talking larger state universities that make up a good portion of the AE, and that is an advantage.

The point of my post was simply to help determine why in many posts you make mentions of NJIT and the AE without any NEC qualifiers, when it comes across as if you feel that in the AE pecking order, that you feel that NJIT is more likely to join than an NEC school. Sure, it could happen, but it does seem much more likely that multiple NEC schools would need to reject the AE before NJIT is contacted, as that has been the general consensus.

As for things that have nothing to do with this thread, any issues with SJSU had to do with the HOW not the WHAT. We have unofficial code of conduct here including things like trolling, personal attacks, unacceptable tones, etc. SJSU has been an ideal member here with his contributions and take on many realignment issues. Of the most significance, there have not been any complaints by other site users about SJSU, which is something we all should strive for here to make sure this is a tolerant, engaging and fun community for all us members.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Alrighty. At no point did I claim anything about any D2 schools actively looking to get into the America East. But as we know, as we've seen quite recently, when a conference has an interest in a D2 school, it tends to get the ball rolling on an upgrade. With my knowledge of NJIT...being that the school is just miles from where I've spent the majority fo my life, that simply having a location in a region will not be any type of golden ticket to be in a position where they aren't just getting an invite from the NEC but from the AE, a conference that will be more difficult to get into.

As for the NEC, if there are provisions in the NEC membership guidelines that say that a school cannot be a member of one conference while participating in the NEC for football, and that being the reason for your comments about CCSU "needing" to join the CAA for football. Because the NEC football arrangement seems to have worked out quite well for non-NEC member Duquesne (A10) as well as departing school Albany (AE)...and even URI is still an option, pending any last minute return to the CAA.

You're right about the current status...as long as the AE has options from the NEC based on the pecking order, NJIT will likely be out in the cold. And yes, that could change...since the loss of BU will have an effect on the AE. But we're still talking larger state universities that make up a good portion of the AE, and that is an advantage.

The point of my post was simply to help determine why in many posts you make mentions of NJIT and the AE without any NEC qualifiers, when it comes across as if you feel that in the AE pecking order, that you feel that NJIT is more likely to join than an NEC school. Sure, it could happen, but it does seem much more likely that multiple NEC schools would need to reject the AE before NJIT is contacted, as that has been the general consensus.

As for things that have nothing to do with this thread, any issues with SJSU had to do with the HOW not the WHAT. We have unofficial code of conduct here including things like trolling, personal attacks, unacceptable tones, etc. SJSU has been an ideal member here with his contributions and take on many realignment issues. Of the most significance, there have not been any complaints by other site users about SJSU, which is something we all should strive for here to make sure this is a tolerant, engaging and fun community for all us members.

You said they'd look at D-II schools, muskie asked which ones. So what do you mean you didn't?

Duquesne is an affiliate, CCSU isn't, they won't be allowed to have their cake and eat it too according to what I've read.

NJIT wouldn't be the smallest school in the AEC if that happened. Hartford would.

W/O NEC qualifiers? When I mention NJIT I always put both NEC and AEC. If you mean how come I don't mention NEC moving to AEC. I did when I said if CCSU gets fb only in the CAA. I've also brought up LIU-Brooklyn, on the fcs board I've talked about Delaware St.(MEAC) and Quinnipiac as options. The reason NJIT gets brought up is they are in a (Not a conf) conf of 4 teams. The others aren't in emergency mode.

How much have you read that NMSU should replace AFA if/when they go to the BE? How much have you seen Texas St. as the option(better I might add)? NMSU gets all the talk because they're in the bad spot while Texas St. is in the safe spot. I'm one of the few that throws Texas St. name first but I don't bitch about NMSU getting all the message board headlines for being a replacement, this is even after Craig Thompson told them to go ahead w/ plan b.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:01 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Just going to throw out a random idea out there. Since it seems the CAA cannot make its mind up who they want (or have yet to convince their target schools to come on board) what if the America got aggressive and went after some CAA schools? Just throwing some schools out there but what if they took Northeastern, Hofstra, Drexel, Delaware, and George Mason and the Central Connecticut St from the MAAC (these wouldn't necessarily have to be the ones; I'm just throwing at names. Feel free to offer op alternatives or why school X has no reason to be included.)

The schools I mention would give nice convenient travel pairs:

Upper New England--Maine & Vermont
Eastern New England--New Hampshire & Northeastern
Connecticut--Central Connecticut St & Hartford
Upstate NY--Binghampton & Albany
Long Island--Stony Brook & Hofstra
Delaware Valley--Drexel & Delaware
D.C. Area--UMBC & George Mason

The Patriot League could then come in and take what they wanted and the leftovers would be left exploring whatever options are available such as the Big South and SoCon.

Last edited by fighting muskie on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:25 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

fighting muskie wrote:
Just going to throw out a random idea out there. Since it seems the CAA cannot make its mind up who they want (or have yet to convince their target schools to come on board) what if the America got aggressive and went after some CAA schools? Just throwing some schools out there but what if they took Northeastern, Hofstra, Drexel, Delaware, and George Mason and the Central Connecticut St from the MAAC (these wouldn't necessarily have to be the ones; I'm just throwing at names. Feel free to offer op alternatives or why school X has no reason to be included.)

The schools I mention would give nice convenient travel pairs:

Upper New England--Maine & Vermont
Eastern New England--New Hampshire & Northeastern
Connecticut--Central Connecticut St & New Haven
Upstate NY--Binghampton & Albany
Long Island--Stony Brook & Hofstra
Delaware Valley--Drexel & Delaware
D.C. Area--UMBC & George Mason

The Patriot League could then come in and take what they wanted and the leftovers would be left exploring whatever options are available such as the Big South and SoCon.

Northeastern was in the AEC until around 2003, and the CAA is an improvement for them. Central Connecticut State would have to find a new football home if they joined, and because of the NEC only allowing 38 football scholarships (the NCAA sets the FCS maximum at 63) they would either have to add scholarships or get rid of them. Stony Brook is probably about to go to the CAA, and Hofstra was also an AEC member until they joined the CAA. Drexel and Delaware aren't downgrading to AEC, and neither is George Mason. New Haven would also rather join the NEC since they're a private school, or at least I would guess that. CAA uses AEC as a crop for its replacements, and that's just how it will be until the current AEC schools improve to the level of current CAA schools.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:21 am 
Senior
Senior

NJIT is working on a major expansion of its on-campus arena and athletic facilities.This seems to indicate a move to a conference like the America East rather than to the NEC.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:17 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

ctx48c wrote:
NJIT is working on a major expansion of its on-campus arena and athletic facilities.This seems to indicate a move to a conference like the America East rather than to the NEC.

As Jersey born and bred with friends who went to NJIT, we can only hope the expansions are enough to get them in over NEC schools.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Star Ledger article(previously posted in another thread)discussing(scroll down) "possibility" of NJIT getting future invite to either NEC or America East.Link at http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/in ... rence.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next