NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:50 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: SoCon Expansion
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Savannah discussing SoCon realignment and today's SoCon media day at http://savannahnow.com/share/blog-post/ ... conference

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Burlington with comments from SoCon Commish regarding league realignment at http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/sout ... opics.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

C of C considering starting football?

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12271864

Edit:This article is over TWO years old.

Thanks
Freaked

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Chattanooga discussing possible future SoCon realignment at http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012 ... eakingnews

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Charleston(previously posted in another thread)with comments from Socon Commish regarding Davidson deciding to stay in the Socon at http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2 ... y-in-socon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Andy Katz report(previously posted in another thread)that the College of Charleston BOT is expected to approve and announce it will be joining the CAA on Saturday.Link at http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ssociation

Post subject: Re: SoCon Realignment
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Alright veteran realignment analyzers, who is most likely to get C of C's slot in the SoCon if they do indeed leave as Andy Katz has reported? I think the only real contenders are Jacksonville St and Coastal Carolina. Who do you give the edge to? Am I leaving anyone out?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Alright veteran realignment analyzers, who is most likely to get C of C's slot in the SoCon if they do indeed leave as Andy Katz has reported? I think the only real contenders are Jacksonville St and Coastal Carolina. Who do you give the edge to? Am I leaving anyone out?

Well if they want to replace a bball school w/ another, you have to look at bringing ETSU back. CCU, Kennesaw St. and JSU would be the top 3 in my mind. If the privates win out then Gardner-Webb has a shot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:38 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I think with CofC being the school leaving (public) and GA Southern and App St (publics) being the FBS flight risks...and with Davidson (private) staying, I'd think long term stability will be key in the next addition. And if the SoCon were to feel that adding a like minded private school as a replacement, I'd support that...would make a ton of sense.

Coastal Carolina has seemed like the likely addition, but GW might be a better fit.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

We keep hearing that North Alabama & West Georgia want to move up to D-1 FCS FB.
They seem to be in the SoCon footprint.
Would they be likely replacements for Appalachian State & Georgia Southern ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:01 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tute79 wrote:
We keep hearing that North Alabama & West Georgia want to move up to D-1 FCS FB.
They seem to be in the SoCon footprint.
Would they be likely replacements for Appalachian State & Georgia Southern ?

I really see North Alabama as an OVC school but I imagine the folks in Florence will take whatever DI offer comes there way. It's hard to be picky now that an upgrade requires an invitation. I don't know that much about Western Georgia but I am figuring they are in the same boat as N Alabama.

The thing about the SoCon replacing members is that as a very established conference they are really looking for pedigree when they are evaluating their membership candidates. I think a new member must either A) bring an excellent FCS football program and/or B) be an elite, private, southern institution. I'm going to guess the likes of Davidson and the Citadel and others are going to frown upon taking DII schools especially ones that are are former state teacher's colleges. These southern private schools are a bit snobby.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

North Alabama was hoping to be invited to the OVC, but was turned down.
West Georgia isn't as far along, but they might accelerate their plans if an opportunity presented itself.

I hear what you ae saying about the SoCon. It is a mixture of public and private. Pretty sure UNCW and Appalachian State are public.
But their last expansion was Samford, so that's a good indicator of their "type" of candidate.

However, to keep SoCon football a a tier above Big South, wouldn't the SoCon want to take in some larger schools that may have a better chance of success ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
North Alabama was hoping to be invited to the OVC, but was turned down.
West Georgia isn't as far along, but they might accelerate their plans if an opportunity presented itself.

I hear what you ae saying about the SoCon. It is a mixture of public and private. Pretty sure UNCW and Appalachian State are public.
But their last expansion was Samford, so that's a good indicator of their "type" of candidate.

However, to keep SoCon football a a tier above Big South, wouldn't the SoCon want to take in some larger schools that may have a better chance of success ?

Elon was the last one, Samford just before them, I think. Both private.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:09 pm 
Senior
Senior

Since the SoCon has said they prefer a 9-team football conference I would expect them to go after a non-football school.

ETSU is the obvious candidate (previous SoCon member).

I would not be surprised if High Point got some consideration. It would not add a new market (High Point is close to UNCG and Elon) but the school has lots of $$ and is throwing a lot of that money into it's sports programs. They are becoming a top-tier program in the Big South.

Winthrop would be another possible target.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:02 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

To me it seems prudent to go ahead and grab a football school now and go to 10/12. The basketball schools will still be there to pick from in the event that Georgia Southern and/or App St leaves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next