NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, for years the original Big East was:

Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Seton hall, and Providence (Catholic non-FB)
BC, Uconn, Syracuse, and Pitt (schools that also played FB).

With Rutgers departing, and UConn increasingly likely to depart, the latter group is GONE.
What is the glue that holds the Catholic schools to the FB schools - nothing more than money at this point.
If the Catholic schools can pull down equal money as a separate entitiy, why on earth do they maintain the linkage with SMU, Boise, San Diego State, etc ?
It's just weird....

Hence the split may be just around the corner.
If Boise and SDSU weren't uneasy right now, their powers-that-be are asleep at the wheel.
BYU needs a FB conference to take advantage of the provision made for "the little 5".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:51 pm 
Junior
Junior

If I were Mountain West Commish, my phone would be BURNING up the lines to every influential person at BSU and SDSU trying to get them to back out of the Big East and returning "home" to the Mountain West.

The MWC is in PRIME position to become THE premier conference outside of the SEC, Big Ten, Big XII, PAC 12, and ACC. All my champion has to do is be better than the Big East (C-USA 2.0), C-USA (3.0), MAC and Sun Belt. I'd like my odds almost every year in that scenario with BSU & SDSU in my league...

BYU is NOT as important as people think and NMSU is there to round out numbers (plus it would seal the Albuquerque market permanently).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:51 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

It's kind of funny to me how everyone talks about "The best conference."

The Mountain West can be in a great position because it can be top-heavy.

Who wants depth? Depth leads to Baylor beating K-State and Stanford beating Oregon and knocking your league out of a BCS payday.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. MWC Champs! 1st conference title since 1999 :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:31 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Nice work fellow Cal State school! Next year it'll be Fresno vs San Jose for the MWC title!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Why are they declared champs? BSU is 6-1, has beaten FSU and has one game left. SDS is 7-1, lost to FSU but beat BSU. Looks like a 3 way tie after BSU wins next weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:16 pm 
Junior
Junior

westwolf wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Why are they declared champs? BSU is 6-1, has beaten FSU and has one game left. SDS is 7-1, lost to FSU but beat BSU. Looks like a 3 way tie after BSU wins next weekend.

Most conferences won't break the tie for purposes of declaring a champion so Fresno State will still be considered conference champions as will San Diego State and possibly Boise State. However, for determining who will get the bowl spot reserved for the conference champion is a different matter and will be broken. I don't know the Mountain West tie breaking procedures so I don't know who would get it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

In any non bcs league that's a tri champ. If Nevada beats BSU than we'll be co-champs even though we beat SDSU head to head since there is no tie breaker in the MWC
Fresno 7-1 beat SDSU lost BSU
SDSU 7-1 beat BSU lost Fresno
BSU 6-1 beat Fresno lost SDSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:31 pm 
Senior
Senior

So would a Boise co-champ meet BCS criteria for being conference champ, top 16, and ahead of AQ champ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:39 pm 
Senior
Senior

dbackjon wrote:
So would a Boise co-champ meet BCS criteria for being conference champ, top 16, and ahead of AQ champ?

I believe they do but it appears that the MAC Champ will be ranked higher than them. Possibly top 16 and ahead of Big East Champ. Not sure why no one is talking about them in a BCS bid. They'll get crushed in the Orange Bowl though (Orange Bowl has last pick this year).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:54 am 
Senior
Senior

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

I believe they do but it appears that the MAC Champ will be ranked higher than them. Possibly top 16 and ahead of Big East Champ. Not sure why no one is talking about them in a BCS bid. They'll get crushed in the Orange Bowl though (Orange Bowl has last pick this year).

Plenty of talk about it on the MACbbs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:04 pm 
Senior
Senior

dbackjon wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Plenty of talk about it on the MACbbs.

Yeah now that they're one spot away everyone seems to have noticed. My buddy is a big Boise fan and he was saying for weeks his Broncos would be the team. I told him the computers would favor the northern teams out east before northern teams out west.

I feel like Utah State is the only non BCS school that may have a chance in a BCS game against the ACC Champ. Them and of course my Spartans!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:10 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of Reno with comments from UNR President regarding conference realignment and this weekend's MWC President's meeting at http://blogs.rgj.com/packblog/2012/12/0 ... ealignment

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:10 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Tulsa World article(scroll down)discussing "unconfirmed" report that MWC is considering the addition of two more members with the likely group of candidates including schools "like"Tulsa, Rice and UTEP.Link at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/T ... TLIN788994

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I would think ultimately MWC wants to expand beyond 9/10, however, they may want to sit tight until the Big East settles down.

They could have Boise, SDSU, and even BYU clamoring to "come home" in rather short order, if this BE TV contract is as puny as some suspect it will be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 61  Next