NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284 ... 345  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:30 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'd be a fan of reviving the old Metro Conference name at this point, especially if there is indeed a split.

I wish ESPN could get there act together and give us all the facts about what is going on right now in the Big East.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm 
Senior
Senior

westwolf wrote:
And ECU?:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... a78913c52a
Why don't they just rename it CUSA2?

Edit:Fixed your link,Freaked

How does ECU only get a football only invite in this mess?! Someone must have pissed someone else off years ago or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BE MB thread discussing report that BYU has recently turned down another BE membership invite at http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=602527

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BE MB thread discussing reports that BE has invited Tulane for allsports and ECU for FB only at http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=602506

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:19 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Call me crazy but I could see where today's moves were done with two potential outcomes in mind:

A) the loss of one more member, either Louisville or UConn, to the ACC. The Big East would probably still be salvageable at that point

B) Conference Armeggedon--Big 12 raids the BE and/or ACC. Louisville, UConn, and perhaps others would be gone. The Big East could either go on as a pieced together league containing a Catholic basketball school faction and a southern football school faction consisting of former C-USA schools or they could finally call for that split. The again, a split has seemed inevitable for 7 years ago and still hasn't happened. The Big East simply refuses to die.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

This BEGS the question - What about ECU's other sports ?

Perhaps they think CAA is an option ?
ECU would love to be an all-sports mmeber of BE.
Maybe ECU accepted this, and BE told them - "depending how this Uconn / Louisville / Navy thing all pans out, maybe you'll soon be upgraded to full member...."

IF ACC were to invite UConn / Louisville / Navy (FB only to balance out Notre Dame), ACC would be at 16 and done.

Big East would consist of 7 Cathoic BB schools, 8 full members (including Tulane, not including UConn & Louisville), and three FB only (ECU, BSU, SDSU)
At that point, would they elevate ECU to full member #9, and grab another school as a full member (UMass, Southern Miss, Marshall, Tulsa) ?

God only knows....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:29 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
How does ECU only get a football only invite in this mess?! Someone must have pissed someone else off years ago or something.

Two reasons: Greenville & Facilities.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:33 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
BE MB thread discussing report that BYU has recently turned down another BE membership invite at http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=602527

I love the guys trashing the commissioner. As if it was the commissioner who had the pre-existing relationships with the old C-USA.

Shocker, the EIGHT former C-USA schools are going to call two old C-USA schools when they need someone!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
I'd be a fan of reviving the old Metro Conference name at this point, especially if there is indeed a split.

I wish ESPN could get there act together and give us all the facts about what is going on right now in the Big East.

Please allow me to channel crazed Boise State fan right now...

"ESPN has been driving the conference down so they can keep it for cheap."

Now, I believe the reality is they've been reporting accurately on the subject, that the ACC is trying to shore up numbers to defend raids from possibly everyone at this point, and very few really see value in the Big East. I'm not sure ESPN is the source for inside leaks (look to local papers for that), but they get that the shell game kind of demands Big East just rename to C-USA.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:44 pm 
Senior
Senior

JPSchmack wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:

I'm with Tute's post above. ECU will become full time soon enough. Maybe that's why we haven't heard about a non football home. I'm sure the CAA would like them if the BE never comes through.

Too bad C-USA didn't hold tight like I said they should. They'd just need to bring on Cincy and USF and this whole mess would be finished. Maybe Temple and UMass for 16 and that would have been a solid conference. Guess the same was true out west. If the WAC held together the MWC schools would have had to come to them and it would be Wyoming on the outside looking in. Fun how the order of conference realignment can change the results so much.

Oh and if BYU said no, Navy is leaving, AFA will probably say no. Looks like there aren't many options to join Boise and SDSU. FSA may get his wish. Or maybe they'll be calling my Spartans soon :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:

That's UL's stance at least. What's happening to ECU in the Big East now is pretty much exactly what UL wanted them to endure in C-USA those years back. Whether there's justification in feeling nasty toward ECU for its football-first issue will play out when the Pirates shop for a "temporary" home for its ollies. If these guys go back to CAA, I hope ECU never gets that full-invite. No student athlete outside of football, especially those kids in baseball where ECU really does shine, should have to endure the kind of conference politics that exist at the mid-major level, especially the CAA's.

Go big and try the A-10, or help out your buds in the SoCon. My money is on SoCon.

Tulane's climbing, folks.

I suspect BYU and AFA are probably in talks with the B12 and for AFA, maybe even the PAC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:57 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'm guessing that ECU's destination for Olympic sports is the CAA--then again, depending on how things shake out they could get bumped up to a BE full sports member. Since it seems an old grudge on the part of Louisville is the main thing keeping the Pirates out of the Big East (and C-USA before that) perhaps if the Cardinals leave the opposition to ECU will dissipate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:27 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
I'm guessing that ECU's destination for Olympic sports is the CAA--then again, depending on how things shake out they could get bumped up to a BE full sports member. Since it seems an old grudge on the part of Louisville is the main thing keeping the Pirates out of the Big East (and C-USA before that) perhaps if the Cardinals leave the opposition to ECU will dissipate.

The internet is so up to the second on East Carolina to the CAA rumors that googling "East Carolina CAA" gives you a news report from 1999.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:

I'm with Tute's post above. ECU will become full time soon enough. Maybe that's why we haven't heard about a non football home. I'm sure the CAA would like them if the BE never comes through.

Too bad C-USA didn't hold tight like I said they should. They'd just need to bring on Cincy and USF and this whole mess would be finished. Maybe Temple and UMass for 16 and that would have been a solid conference. Guess the same was true out west. If the WAC held together the MWC schools would have had to come to them and it would be Wyoming on the outside looking in. Fun how the order of conference realignment can change the results so much.

Oh and if BYU said no, Navy is leaving, AFA will probably say no. Looks like there aren't many options to join Boise and SDSU. FSA may get his wish. Or maybe they'll be calling my Spartans soon :lol:

My wish is that SDSU and BSU come back and Hawaii becomes all sports. If 14 then SMU and Houston come w/ or Tulsa and UTEP. If they all stay, I guess that would have to do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

There are quotes from BYU and AFA saying they're not going to the BE. What is the $ amount BSU and SDSU need to stay in the BE?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284 ... 345  Next