NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:57 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 343  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CSNBBS MB thread discussing report out of Providence that BE is still looking at future expansion and "could go to 16 in football" at http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=602662

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:22 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
CSNBBS MB thread discussing report out of Providence that BE is still looking at future expansion and "could go to 16 in football" at http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=602662

Tulsa, UNLV and (if UConn leaves, UMass)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:48 pm 
Junior
Junior

just make it end!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:
This BEGS the question - What about ECU's other sports ?

Perhaps they think CAA is an option ?
ECU would love to be an all-sports mmeber of BE.
Maybe ECU accepted this, and BE told them - "depending how this Uconn / Louisville / Navy thing all pans out, maybe you'll soon be upgraded to full member...."

IF ACC were to invite UConn / Louisville / Navy (FB only to balance out Notre Dame), ACC would be at 16 and done.

Big East would consist of 7 Cathoic BB schools, 8 full members (including Tulane, not including UConn & Louisville), and three FB only (ECU, BSU, SDSU)
At that point, would they elevate ECU to full member #9, and grab another school as a full member (UMass, Southern Miss, Marshall, Tulsa) ?

God only knows....

One problem with the CAA, will they want ECU if they could leave after a year for a big east spot created by a uconn/Louisville departure?

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:24 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

i'm curious as to who in the Big East is/was pulling for Tulane and ECU. UConn, Cincinnati, and Louisville all seem pretty desperate to get out. I'm guessing it was the incoming contingent of UCF/SMU/Houston/Memphis/Temple and perhaps USF partnering with the basketball schools, who see football as their only hope for tv dollars and relevancy, who pulled this off.

It's almost as if ESPN has taken a Bain Capital approach to the Big East--sell off all of its best assets to other conferences (i.e. their partner the ACC) and then build a bargain rate conference with what's left behind in order to save ESPN some money but still leave them with a substantial college sports inventory to air or stockpile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:54 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

dgreco wrote:
just make it end!

It doesn't end. Ever. It never has. We've had teams switching conferences since the formation of conferences. This is nothing new. And it will never stop.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:10 pm 
Junior
Junior

JPSchmack wrote:
dgreco wrote:
just make it end!

It doesn't end. Ever. It never has. We've had teams switching conferences since the formation of conferences. This is nothing new. And it will never stop.

I know that I am more annoyed with the BigEast hybrid. I get why it wants to stay around, but it is just ridiculous. How many members have come and gone officially/unofficially since this all started?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:52 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

dgreco wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
dgreco wrote:
just make it end!

I know that I am more annoyed with the BigEast hybrid. I get why it wants to stay around, but it is just ridiculous. How many members have come and gone officially/unofficially since this all started?

Agreed. Could they at least go to a division model or something so we dont get awkward match ups like Providence at Southern Methodist and Tulane vs Marquette? Throw Temple and UConn in with the 7 basketball schools for one division and everyone else in the other and play double roundrobin within the division.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 pm 
Junior
Junior

fighting muskie wrote:
dgreco wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
dgreco wrote:
just make it end!

Agreed. Could they at least go to a division model or something so we dont get awkward match ups like Providence at Southern Methodist and Tulane vs Marquette? Throw Temple and UConn in with the 7 basketball schools for one division and everyone else in the other and play double roundrobin within the division.

Well SMU v. PC would be a nice battle of Protestantism v. Catholicism, but I get the point. The two factions have zero in common (philosophically and geographically)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

East Carolina finally gets that invite to the messy BE, and with the slap of fb-only. Too bad ECU cannot say shove it where the sun doesn't shine. If only CUSA was not being further depleted. Rather than any real upgrade, ECU would be connecting with some old and current brethern not to lose further. ECU's non-fb sports may get devalued.

Concur, this conference shall continue to exist. And, they still refuse to split.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

csn board is saying ECU gets a full invite once UConn or UL are gone

I also got this off the WAC board

CFB Insider ‏ @ cfb_rumors
My sources have confirmed to me that # BYU, # AFA, and # Fresno all turned down # BigEast invites. # BigEast in damage control trying to keep BSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
Could they at least go to a division model or something so we dont get awkward match ups like Providence at Southern Methodist and Tulane vs Marquette?

Tulane and Marquette were in C-USA together for 11 seasons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:38 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

My sources have confirmed to me that # BYU, # AFA, and # Fresno all turned down # BigEast invites. # BigEast in damage control trying to keep BSU

Well, If Boise St (and per their clause, San Diego St) and either Louisville or UConn go too that leaves a BE of:

UConn/Louisville
Temple
Cincinnati
ECU (potentially for all sports)
USF
UCF
Memphis
Tulane
SMU
Houston
+7 hoops schools
maybe Navy football?

perhaps you throw in a Tulsa or an UTSA if you're feeling adventurous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
perhaps you throw in a Tulsa or an UTSA if you're feeling adventurous

Tulsa yes, UTSA no way too raw and SMU/Houston wouldn't allow it but if they leave and jump to the MWC w/ BSU/SDSU then yes prime target (along with Rice). However assuming they stay next in line are...

CUSA- Tulsa, Marshall, Southern Miss, UNCC, ODU
MAC- UMass, Buffalo, Ohio, Miami (OH), Northern Illinois, Ball St, Toledo
Independent- Army

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:09 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

BIG EAST HERE WE COME!!!!!!

In all seriousness I was expecting the BE to get to 16 like they said and the western 8 start with SMU, Houston, Boise, and SDSU. I figured the Texas two would get to pick two (Tulsa and UTEP who would get full membership) and Boise and SDSU would get to pick two (Fresno and UNR/UNLV as football only members that could join the Big West). I understand AFA saying no with Navy gone and not having a good non football home, but Fresno too? Western experiment has to be done now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 343  Next