NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 68  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

seanbo wrote:
The ACC picking Louisville over Uconn is an admission by the ACC that they made a mistake by not taking WVU. So much for academics.

Mistake by Big 12, not taking Louisville.

Seanbo,
You said this right to the point. My identical reaction. Had WVU been picked by the ACC earlier, matters may have been much more stable and solid for the ACC.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Pressure will mount on ND to give up FB independence, but they've shown they are relatively immune to such pressure.

Yup. If the ACC played hardball with ND, and had gotten them to commit to FB, I'd wager anything that not only would the conference have kept UMD, but the ACC would have had their share of applicants for #16, rather than having to dumpster-dive for UL.

Now, they're out of the Beltway, have a trashy commuter college on the western front, and have a new associate member who's already expressing concerns about stability. Good job.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
tute79 wrote:
Pressure will mount on ND to give up FB independence, but they've shown they are relatively immune to such pressure.

Yup. If the ACC played hardball with ND, and had gotten them to commit to FB, I'd wager anything that not only would the conference have kept UMD, but the ACC would have had their share of applicants for #16, rather than having to dumpster-dive for UL.

Now, they're out of the Beltway, have a trashy commuter college on the western front, and have a new associate member who's already expressing concerns about stability. Good job.

Agree about ND. The ACC is left with begging ND to render a full fb commitment. However, the ACC gave to ND all the carrots ND wanted earlier. There's a reason the B1G previously told ND it must be "all in".

A larger concern is that ND does not have to negotiate through a real conference schedule or face a conference championship game. They still maintain the flexibility to stack home and neutral site games, and pick the majority of their opponents strategically for multiple reasons. The playoff format still provides them a special seat at the table with still unique and favorable criteria. The Orange Bowl/ACC assurances have provided them with additional post-season options. ND is still guaranteed delightful cuts from the distribution system, and they still don't have to share their bowl revenue distribution with anyone. Along with keeping their independent TV contract with NBC, they are a/the top media darling which certainly impacts in substaining lofty recruiting and exposure, even during their sub-par seasons.

I cannot blame Notre Dame for any of this other than say they take advantage, with greed, of the enabling by their peers throughout the system and the entities that feed on college sports.

ND has an outstanding fb defense this year, stayed undefeated, and had luck along with a few favorable calls (has happened to others at times). They are at the top with a string of SEC teams right behind. Being undefeated, I would go along with saying they are appropriate for this year's national championship game, given the system in place of which ND maintains a unique presence therein.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

sec03 wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
tute79 wrote:

Agree about ND. The ACC is left with begging ND to render a full fb commitment. However, the ACC gave to ND all the carrots ND wanted earlier. There's a reason the B1G previously told ND it must be "all in".

A larger concern is that ND does not have to negotiate through a real conference schedule or face a conference championship game. They still maintain the flexibility to stack home and neutral site games, and pick the majority of their opponents strategically for multiple reasons. The playoff format still provides them a special seat at the table with still unique and favorable criteria. The Orange Bowl/ACC assurances have provided them with additional post-season options. ND is still guaranteed delightful cuts from the distribution system, and they still don't have to share their bowl revenue distribution with anyone. Along with keeping their independent TV contract with NBC, they are a/the top media darling which certainly impacts in substaining lofty recruiting and exposure, even during their sub-par seasons.

I cannot blame Notre Dame for any of this other than say they take advantage, with greed, of the enabling by their peers throughout the system and the entities that feed on college sports.

ND has an outstanding fb defense this year, stayed undefeated, and had luck along with a few favorable calls (has happened to others at times). They are at the top with a string of SEC teams right behind. Being undefeated, I would go along with saying they are appropriate for this year's national championship game, given the system in place of which ND maintains a unique presence therein.

Very well put. A while back I put that Notre Dame would someday have to join a conference. I was wrong and have changed my mind, I think their in a comfortable spot now that their in the NC game,they are relevant again. ACC giving them all sports except football is the best thing that can happen to them. As long as NBC is happy with them, their happy. And I don't think there is any serious pressure for them to add football. Notre Dame has it made in the shade.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:31 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

For basketball scheduling purposes, should the ACC stay where they are now, the should go with a 3 pod system:

Pod 1 (North)--Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame
Pod 2 (Central)--Virginia, North Carolina, NC St, Duke, Wake Forest
Pod 3 (South)--Louisville, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida St, Miami

Play everyone is your pod twice (8 games) and everyone else once (10 games) for an 18 game conference schedule.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
For basketball scheduling purposes, should the ACC stay where they are now, the should go with a 3 pod system:

Play everyone is your pod twice (8 games) and everyone else once (10 games) for an 18 game conference schedule.

Why? What's the point of letting geography dictate who plays who instead of "most attractive draw" ? I understand that geography is often a factor in rivalries, but Louisville vs Clemson a second time instead of Syracuse a second time just because Va Tech is closer to the Carrier Dome? Forget that. Play everyone once (14) and then assign extra games based on more National TV draws. Let Va Tech and Clemson play each other twice the same nights SU-UL are on ESPN.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I have a feeling that everyone will be waiting on the Maryland exit fee lawsuit to see the next step.

If its the full 50 I think the Big 4 stand pat. The SEC/B10 will see how 14 works, the Big12 will enjoy 10, and the PAC12 will remain landlocked. The ACC could add UConn and Navy but besides that I think we are probably done in the new AQ conferences. Of course the BE/MWC/CUSA/SBC trickle will still be around.

If the fees are reduced to a more manageable 10-25 million I think we have conference Armageddon that could end up consolidating the power schools into the Big 4.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:47 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
I have a feeling that everyone will be waiting on the Maryland exit fee lawsuit to see the next step.

If its the full 50 I think the Big 4 stand pat. The SEC/B10 will see how 14 works, the Big12 will enjoy 10, and the PAC12 will remain landlocked. The ACC could add UConn and Navy but besides that I think we are probably done in the new AQ conferences. Of course the BE/MWC/CUSA/SBC trickle will still be around.

If the fees are reduced to a more manageable 10-25 million I think we have conference Armageddon that could end up consolidating the power schools into the Big 4.

I feel like Maryland (and Florida St) could get it negotiated down because they didn't vote for the increase. They could claim they're being unfairly punished by the others. Schools that voted for the increase have no right to complain about paying the full 50 should they leave.

But I do think you make a good point. If we find the full 50 isn't enforceable then schools may leave.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:51 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I agree SJS. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out. Thing is, the ACC can claim that if UM and FSU didn't want the fee rise they should have opted to leave the conference then. But even in that case, the $50 million fee, being a majority passed item, would still stick. So it seems that the schools voting against the fee had no choice.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:17 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:

Posted September 13 on ACC thread, page 33 Switch Louisville for Maryland and the same applies as long as no more schools leave which I do not believe will be the case.

There is also no need for the ACC to add a 16th non football school for scheduling purposes. Let's examine what an 18 game basketball schedule could look like with only 15 teams. FRESNO is right on with the 3 divisions of 5 idea.

I'd would split into 3 divisions of 5 for scheduling only. No need for 3 divisions for standings. Divisions are split geographically (helps travel wise). Virginia would rather be tied with UNC than Virginia Tech for basketball but may have to switch Virginia and Clemson for other sports.

Atlantic- Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Maryland
Coastal- UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake, Virginia (Clemson)
Football- FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Clemson (Virginia)

Here's your 18 game schedule. Play everyone in your division home and home, play one of the 2 divisions on the road, the other division at home. Rotate divisions every other year.

The only reason to add a 16th team would be when the Irish joins for football. If the the ACC changes their plans of a 9 game conference schedule to an 8 game conference schedule then they don't even have to add the 16 team. An 8 game conference schedule would be Notre Dame's preference. I believe that the Irish's new contract with NBC will expire the same time as the ACC's, then the Irish will join for football.

For football, take the same 3 divisions as above. You play everyone in your division annually and then play 2 teams from the other 2 divisions. ACC championship game would be played by the 2 highest ranked division champions.

Don't get me wrong, my preference would be to add a 16th team if and only when Notre Dame joins for football. I think Rutgers and the NJ market would make the ACC the most money at that point.

Guess the B1G agreed with me on Rutgers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Orlando Sentinel
Mike Bianchi
11/28/2012
ACC: Commentary
Vision for Future is Impaired by 'Basketball boneheads'
"Mr. Magoo has more long range vision than ACC administrators do"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... 545.column

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ACC MB thread discussing various ACC realignment RUMORS at http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=603575

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CUSA title game, GT, UVa rumors yada yada on csn

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=604020

UNC better have lined themselves up w/ the SEC. I don't know how either of those 2 outrank UNC in the B1G eyes. Plus what ever happened to the states having to touch each other rule? GT kills that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Plus what ever happened to the states having to touch each other rule? GT kills that.

A rule they made and can change at any time?
You want them to vote to change the rule before they vote to add GT?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

AJC blog article(previously posted in another thread)with comments from GT President who says that his school has no plans to leave the ACC.Link at
http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sport ... ech_sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 68  Next