NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:19 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:06 pm 
Junior
Junior

I know MAAC may be a stepup in basketball but I dont get the move. Bryant had the chance to join the MAAC or NEC and decided on the NEC, with wishful hopes for the PL.

I sort of get Quinnipiac since they do not have football, but Monmouth doesn't make sense... Unless it could mean a football change for MU.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

FSA,thanks for the post.Here is
blog article out of Albany also discussing "unconfirmed" report of Monmouth and Quinnipiac to the MAAC at http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesport ... maac/14510

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

New Haven Register article also discussing reports that Quinnipiac and Monmouth are discussing moves to the MAAC.MAAC Presidents are scheduled to meet on December 14.Link at http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012 ... 080813.txt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:35 pm 
Senior
Senior

dgreco wrote:
I know MAAC may be a stepup in basketball but I dont get the move. Bryant had the chance to join the MAAC or NEC and decided on the NEC, with wishful hopes for the PL.

I sort of get Quinnipiac since they do not have football, but Monmouth doesn't make sense... Unless it could mean a football change for MU.

Well the Big South was willing to take Stony Brook at one point and Monmouth is further south than them. Plus after some trickle down the Big South will probably lose a school or two to the SoCon. I suppose that could be a home for them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

But why 11? scheduling is harder that way and the MAAC always has 10. Is Siena leaving to CAA? How about Niagara to the Horizon?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:12 pm 
Junior
Junior

I am also hearing possibly the PL if Monmouth does end up going to the MAAC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Wagner is a possible 12th member

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/So ... z2E2XkqESA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quinnipiac to the MAAC is a great move for both.

I interviewed for a gig in their athletic department back in 2006 and those guys "get it." While touring their then-under-construction, really visionary designed hockey/basketball arena (W-shaped with the middle part being suite/donor lounge area overlooking both playing surfaces); they told me their goal was to build themselves up and get into the Atlantic 10 as soon as they possibly could.

That being said, another school that's seemingly along those lines -- and one I can't believe hasn't been invited somewhere, but would be perfect for the #12 spot in either the MAAC or the CAA would be Stony Brook.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:09 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

All solid options for the MAAC. I'd much rather see Robert Morris in the mix as #12, give the MAAC some Pitt market exposure, give some western mates to Niagara and Canisius.

Quinnipiac is a great addition for the reasons JP mentioned...they get it, they are ambitious, and they fit the current footprint in providing low cost travel for the current members. Despite his moderate baggage, I always liked Tom Moore and thought he could have gotten a bigger gig elsewhere...but QU showed how appealing it was.

Monmouth is another great pick. Gives the MAAC some more NJ coverage, a stones throw from NYC for travel with the Monmouth county shore culture.

Wagner makes a ton of sense if Monmouth is in, since driving to Staten Island means having to go through NJ...30 minute drive from Wagner to Monmouth.

For Monmouth football, nothing would need to change. The NEC has no problem with Duquesne (A10) being a football member. There's no reason to think they wouldn't want to keep Monmouth to keep their numbers up. If they booted Monmouth and any other NEC schools left, the NEC would be out of options for football membership.

Either way, all the schools in the mix for 3 spots seem like they would be good MAAC fits. And the NEC has enough members that they will be alright for the time being. If they want security by 1 member, they always have NJIT sitting there ready for a spot. In the future, they'll have D2 schools seeking upgrades to consider, since Bryant has shown the transition into the NEC is rather seemless.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:02 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

MAAC replaces loss of Loyola with Quinnipiac, Monmouth and Wagner:

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/12/12 ... nd-wagner/

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Bridgeport reporting that MAAC Presidents will be meeting tomorrow to vote on probable league expansion.Link at http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/A- ... 113112.php

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NYDailyNews article also discussing Friday/tomorrow's MAAC Presidents expansion vote at http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... -1.1219614

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of Albany reporting that MAAC Presidents have approved membership today for Monmouth and Quinnipiac at http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesport ... 3-14/14684

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Staten Island(previously posted in another thread)reporting that reported MAAC expansion finalist Wagner College will apparently remain in the NEC.Link at http://www.silive.com/colleges/index.ss ... rogra.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

so why 11? Siena heading to the A10 after the Catholic dominoes fall?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next