NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:01 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

BE MB thread(previously posted in another thread)discussing report that the Catholic 7 schools are currently negotiating an early departure and conference name agreement with the BE.Such a deal will then allow the breakaway league to officially add new members.Link at http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=607800

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Mark Blaudschun blog article(previously posted in another thread)reporting that the BE plans to sell the Big East name to the BB schools and let them leave in 2014 for a "modest" exit fee.The announcements could/should occur over the next few weeks and allow the BB schools to then officially add new members.Link at http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4420

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:28 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

As far as the future membership of the Catholic 7's new conference (which will be called the Big East even though at least half the schools will be midwestern) this is what I perceive to be going on:

1. There is a consensus on Xavier and Butler---those two are in

2. DePaul and Marquette want to see Dayton, St Louis, and Creighton (or at a minimum 2 of the 3) all included and are willing to have a 14 team league to make that happen or go with a division-less set up with 12 schools. They'd like to see at least one more eastern school to accommodate this

3. The 5 schools along the Eastern coast want to see either a 10 team league (1st choice) or a 12 team league with divided into a midwestern and east coast divisions. They want to keep the league small to maximize tv money that G'town, 'Nova, and St John's bring the conference

3A. The East coast schools are pushing for Dayton as member #10 and sticking with 10.

4. Georgetown is vetoing Richmond (or any VA school) while Villanova is vetoing St Joe's

5. Marquette for some reason really, really likes Creighton and wants them included which is drawing out this whole process

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:50 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
As far as the future membership of the Catholic 7's new conference (which will be called the Big East even though at least half the schools will be midwestern) this is what I perceive to be going on:

2. DePaul and Marquette want to see Dayton, St Louis, and Creighton (or at a minimum 2 of the 3) all included and are willing to have a 14 team league to make that happen or go with a division-less set up with 12 schools. They'd like to see at least one more eastern school to accommodate this

3. The 5 schools along the Eastern coast want to see either a 10 team league (1st choice) or a 12 team league with divided into a midwestern and east coast divisions. They want to keep the league small to maximize tv money that G'town, 'Nova, and St John's bring the conference

3A. The East coast schools are pushing for Dayton as member #10 and sticking with 10.

4. Georgetown is vetoing Richmond (or any VA school) while Villanova is vetoing St Joe's

5. Marquette for some reason really, really likes Creighton and wants them included which is drawing out this whole process

These are all facts? If so how did you get this juicy tidbit?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:42 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

I think it's just opinion. Good ones, but opinion. Because I would find it strange that Georgetown woul dbe "vetoing" Richmond when they were the biggest proponent of adding Richmond when the BE7 had their first meeting on the topic in 2004.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:00 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

We should probably rank the schools based upon location as well since more midwestern schools are needed over eastern schools.

Once they settle on a number we can likely guess who will get in.

Xavier, Butler for sure
One, Two, or Three of Dayton, Creighton, and St. Louis (Depending on 10, 12, or 14)

Zero, One, or Two of Richmond, VCU, Duquesne (Depedning on 10, 12, 14)

Anyone candidates missing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 am 
All-Star
All-Star

accseahawk wrote:
We should probably rank the schools based upon location as well since more midwestern schools are needed over eastern schools.

Xavier, Butler for sure
One, Two, or Three of Dayton, Creighton, and St. Louis (Depending on 10, 12, or 14)

Just a few candidates if they decide to go to 16 like Detroit, Witchita St, Davidson but you got the main ones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:46 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quinn wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

I think it's just opinion. Good ones, but opinion. Because I would find it strange that Georgetown woul dbe "vetoing" Richmond when they were the biggest proponent of adding Richmond when the BE7 had their first meeting on the topic in 2004.

You guys are right; this is just my opinion but I think its a fairly well educated guess. Have you noticed that Richmond hasn't been discussed in any of the articles speculating on the membership of the new league? This makes me think that someone doesn't want them to be part of the conversation. I know Georgetown wanted them in before but perhaps the Hoyas are more mindful of preserving television dollars and are firm in that they only want 10 schools and thus no Spiders. Perhaps they are concerned that elevating Richmond would hurt their own local recruiting.

I also think its revealing that a Milwaukee newspaper reported that Xavier and Butler in and then proceeded to name a bunch of other midwestern schools that would make for a solid midwestern division. To me this is a telling sign that Marquette leaked the information and is trying to steer public opinion towards a 12 or maybe even a 14 team league.

I could be completely wrong but i think i'm on the right track

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:01 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tkalmus wrote:
accseahawk wrote:

Xavier, Butler for sure

Just a few candidates if they decide to go to 16 like Detroit, Witchita St, Davidson but you got the main ones

I think acc has them all covered. I dont' see 14 being an option since it's just more mouths to feed for a 1st time TV contract...which is going to be lower than a TV contract for a proven contract. Just look at the MWC history as an example.

That said, I dont' see 16 ever happening unless there are high quality schools. OR, if the goal was to have an 8 school western division and an 8 school eastern (meaning Gonzaga, St. Mary's, LMU and say BYU or Denver as #8 in the west with 4 midwest schools like Creighton, St. Louis, DePaul and Marquette).

10 would be the ideal number for a starter conference for basketball. Would allow for home-and-home scheduling to build the necessary rivalries to drive ratings in the 2 participating cities.

I could see 12 being another option is the goal was to create divisions of east and west. So with DePaul, Marquette, Butler and Xavier, you could add another 2 from Creighton, St. Louis and Dayton for a 6 school western division. In the east, you'd have 6 with Providence, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown and a 6th school. For that group, it would be interesting since there are a number of options. You'd probably see a new market added, which is why Richmond or VCU would likely take that spot IF the conference went to 12 members. It's close enough to DC, spreads the footprint a bit south in the process.

So I do think that all the candidates get covered in those 2 primary scenarios:

10 schools: add Xavier, Butler and either St. Louis or Dayton. Creighton might be too far west for 10 schools since the gap would be Omaha to Chicago

12 schools: Xavier, Butler, St. Louis, and 2 more from Creighton, Dayton, VCU/Richmond.

14 schools: I don't see this happening for $$$ reasons: Xavier, Butler, St. Louis, Creighton, Dayton, VCU/Richmond, Duquesne

16 schools: top 6 from above combined with 3 from the west with Gonzaga plus a pair from the group of Denver, BYU, LMU, St. Marys.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN article (previously posted in another thread)discussing Catholic 7 tv deal negotiations with Fox Sports in anticipation of also adding other BB members.Link at http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:37 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
ESPN article (previously posted in another thread)discussing Catholic 7 tv deal negotiations with Fox Sports in anticipation of also adding other BB members.Link at http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball

I read this article late last night too. I'm curious as to what else Fox intends to air on this Fox Sports 1. Are they simply going to move the sports content from FX over to this new channel or does is this indicative that FOX intends to go out and buy up some more television rights for live college sporting events?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Pete Thamel article discussing today's Catholic 7/Fox meeting at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... holic-7-tv

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

thanks for the update freaked. things should pick up once they make their moves

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN article(previously posted in another thread)discussing yesterday's Catholic 7/Fox meeting at http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... rs-sources

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Seven Catholic schools that plan to leave the Big East to form their own basketball conference expect to double their money off a television deal, according to sources.

Sources say that Fox, whose Fox Sports 1 channel is set to launch in August, has an initial high offer on the table of more than $500 million for a 12-year deal. Fox Sports 1 will replace the network's motorsports channel Speed, already in 81 million homes. Sources say officials with Fox are scheduled to meet with those representing the interest of the "Catholic 7" in New York City on Wednesday. A Fox spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment. A high-ranking source at NBC Sports Network, which has so far engaged in preliminary discussions with the "Catholic 7," declined comment. ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz also declined comment on the network's interest in the "Catholic 7" games.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8817624/fleeing-big-east-schools-working-lucrative-tv-deal-basketball

Edit:REMINDER:before you post articles please check that thread to see if it has been previously posted.This is a duplicate article posting.Please be more careful in the future.

Thanks
Freaked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next