NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:13 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 94  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
playa4life wrote:
Sam Houston averaged 8,000 per home game. Less than 1100 in MBB.

Haha, and what was Lamar's?

Sam sold out its portion of the FCS NCG in about an hour and has sold out Reliant with SFA 4 of the last five years. Attendance is directly tied to who you play as well as how you play. Give Sam some teams to get excited about playing like NE Louisiana(ULM)/SW Louisiana(ULL), Ark St, Troy, GA State/Southern, App St, and old rival Texas St plus UTA and that will be a non issue. Schools like Lamar, and directional Louisiana dont do anything for us in Texas (even in East Texas). Nicholls/McNeese/Central Ark are the only schools that are worth watching in the SLC outside Sam/SFA. And BTW Sam only had three home games this year, one of which was against a DII and the others were SELA and McNeese (all were blow outs).

:D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:07 am 
All-Star
All-Star

U jerk lol, I knew what I was saying.

Before this last year I would have agreed with you on ULaMo but they made a little name for themselves beating Arky.

Louisiana as the flagship University, should just be U of Louisiana not ULL but whatever. If they were simply Louisiana and Monroe was Louisiana A&M (I know LSU is technically A&M and I have no idea if they even have an Ag school but still) or just North Louisiana (way better than UL-Monroe or NELA). My point still stands, the lipstick on the pig that is directional/city U is still a step up from SELA (should just go with East LA) and NWSU (should just go with West LA).

I know where Monroe, Natchitoches, and Hammond are but most people outside of Louisiana, East Texas, Mississippi and Southern Arkansas don't so directional U is better than obscure city U. At least people can pretend to know where North Texas is even if they've never heard of Denton.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
playa4life wrote:
Sam Houston averaged 8,000 per home game. Less than 1100 in MBB.

Haha, and what was Lamar's?

Sam sold out its portion of the FCS NCG in about an hour and has sold out Reliant with SFA 4 of the last five years. Attendance is directly tied to who you play as well as how you play. Give Sam some teams to get excited about playing like ULM/ULL, Ark St, Troy, GA State/Southern, App St, and old rival Texas St plus UTA and that will be a non issue. Schools like Lamar, and directional Louisiana dont do anything for us in Texas (even in East Texas). Nicholls/McNeese/Central Ark are the only schools that are worth watching in the SLC outside Sam/SFA. And BTW Sam only had three home games this year, one of which was against a DII and the others were SELA and McNeese (all were blow outs).

A couple of years ago, Sam had 2,000 attend a football game. That is less than Lamar average at a MBB. However the point was to address North's point on attendance. Sam had 2 great FCS years yet average home attendance in those 2 years were under 9,000. Lamar football is awful, but improving, yet Lamar average attendance is far higher than Sam.

Lamar rivals is Ark st, ULL, North Texas, and especially La Tech. Lamar has a history with those teams Sam traditional rival is SFA, UTA, Mcneese, UL-Monroe, and SELA.

Check out Sam\'s fan site, Katfans, to see what they think of FBS., They do not like FBS and would oppose a move by Sam's administration.
Sam could win a national championship yet support for Sam is low. After this season, Fritz will take a job at a FBS, and Sam will go back to being an average FCS.
Sam is a good school with a good size, but they lack a community population base. Lamar has 400,000 ppl within 30 miles of the main campus and a tv deal coming in Houston,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:

Before this last year I would have agreed with you on ULaMo but they made a little name for themselves beating Arky.

Louisiana as the flagship University, should just be U of Louisiana not ULL but whatever. If they were simply Louisiana and Monroe was Louisiana A&M (I know LSU is technically A&M and I have no idea if they even have an Ag school but still) or just North Louisiana (way better than UL-Monroe or NELA). My point still stands, the lipstick on the pig that is directional/city U is still a step up from SELA (should just go with East LA) and NWSU (should just go with West LA).

I know where Monroe, Natchitoches, and Hammond are but most people outside of Louisiana, East Texas, Mississippi and Southern Arkansas don't so directional U is better than obscure city U. At least people can pretend to know where North Texas is even if they've never heard of Denton.

Will SHSU stay if SE La becomes UL-Hammond and Northwestern St. becomes UL-Nachos?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

Will SHSU stay if SE La becomes UL-Hammond and Northwestern St. becomes UL-Nachos?

No but trust me I work with a few Sam grads, and I ask them "who do yall play this weekend, and unless its Central Arky, SFA, McNeese, or a FBS team noone knows and "some Louisiana school is typically the answer."

I not conviced Sam is going anywhere (although I want them to), Sam was really interested in moving up before they were doing really well, now their main focus is on winning a national title, if that happens next month I could see the push to come sooner rather than later but they really want that trophy. I think Sam is the best candidate but I also agree that Lamar may get it since they have a slightly better DMA and are 100% committed to moving on up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:22 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:

Louisiana-Lafayette is NOT a FLAGSHIP - they pretend to be, but are the same standing as NELA, SELA, ULM, Nicholls, and McNeese.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

dbackjon wrote:
Louisiana-Lafayette is NOT a FLAGSHIP - they pretend to be, but are the same standing as NELA, SELA, ULM, Nicholls, and McNeese.

Really?

ULL is the 2nd largest school in the state and the FLAGSHIP of the UL system which is one of the top 20 largest systems in the nation that governs Grambling, LA Tech, New Orleans in addition to NELA, SELA, ULM, Nicholls, and McNeese.

The only D1 schools not under their control in the state are LSU (the main flagship of the state) and Southern both of which lead their own university systems, that without the FLAGSHIPS are a bunch of schools smaller than the ones in the UL system.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Sun Belt is hated more than any conf. in the FCS world. = to A&M for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:53 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

With the Sunbelt depleted down to 8 football programs and 10 programs total I wonder if its time to consider extended membership, either full or football only, to New Mexico St. It would mean additional travel for the league but the SBC is getting to the point where beggars can't be choosers. The Big East is probably going to have to pursue at least one C-USA school to fill their depleted ranks (maybe Tulsa), UTEP's name (as well as Tulsa's) has been thrown around in 16-Team MWC conversations. If 14 is indeed C-USA's new magic number they will cutting deeper into an already depleted SBC. The SBC could soon be in the same position the WAC found itself in not too long ago--depleted to the point that FCS schools won't take the risk of upgrading to join your league and then what few members that are left get picked off by other leagues slowly. That is unless of course a block of schools like Lamar, Sam Houston St, Georgia Southern, and Appalachian St decide to all upgrade all at once.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:26 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

fighting muskie wrote:
With the Sunbelt depleted down to 8 football programs and 10 programs total I wonder if its time to consider extended membership, either full or football only, to New Mexico St. It would mean additional travel for the league but the SBC is getting to the point where beggars can't be choosers. The Big East is probably going to have to pursue at least one C-USA school to fill their depleted ranks (maybe Tulsa), UTEP's name (as well as Tulsa's) has been thrown around in 16-Team MWC conversations. If 14 is indeed C-USA's new magic number they will cutting deeper into an already depleted SBC. The SBC could soon be in the same position the WAC found itself in not too long ago--depleted to the point that FCS schools won't take the risk of upgrading to join your league and then what few members that are left get picked off by other leagues slowly. That is unless of course a block of schools like Lamar, Sam Houston St, Georgia Southern, and Appalachian St decide to all upgrade all at once.

I don't think there is a rush. There are some FBS options out there (2 in Texas) for all-sports, as well as App St. and GA Southern. Maybe add Jax St. to the list. That's 5 schools there and the SB seems poised to lose what, 4 maximum?

You always have NMSU as an all-sports option or FB only...FB only for Idaho as well. So I think the SB is alright unless we see 18-20 school superconferences.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 pm 
Junior
Junior

I think Quinn is right on the mark here. There is no rush, and there are plenty of options to go with. I think that I would list the possible applicants in this order: Appalachian St., Georgia Southern, Lamar, New Mexico St., Florida A&M, Sam Houston St., Jacksonville St., and Missouri St.[b] All have things to offer as far as additions to the SBC. I added [b]Florida A&M[b] because I think that the SBC would want to get a footprint back into the state of Florida. Also, they were on the verge of trying to upgrade last year, and at the last minute decided not to make the move to FBS.
I do see the SBC loosing either [b]U. Louisiana - L.[b] or [b]U. Louisiana - M.[b] to CUSA to replace the [b]Tulane[b] loss of Louisiana in a future grab. Either would make a good travel partner for [b]Rice[b].
[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Lafayette with update on SBC expansion/realignment situation at http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... /301090324

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Lafayette with update on SBC expansion/realignment situation at http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... /301090324

Sounds like they think some schools might come back...which is dumb.

Boise St and SDSU went back tot he MWC because they didn't belong in an Eastern Conference, Houston, SMU, Tulane, East Carolina, and UCF aren't going back to CUSA and FAU, FIU, MTSU, and UNT are not coming back to the SBC.

They will lose more members eventually and need to make sure that what is left over can survive or risk Karl killing off another conference. Plus I see no reason they would stop at 10 and be the only mid major w/o a CCG that's revenue they need.

The talk about maintaining divisions has me thinking, they'll replace the schools they lost w/ GA So/App St but IF they go to 12/14 they either need to add 1 fb school to each side (Liberty/Lamar) and 2 Eastern bball school for a 12/16 split (Davidson and ????) which is unlikely or just find a school that can work in both divisions and play fb in the West and other sports in the East. The only school that fits that description is Western Kentucky.

Westfb- Texas St, Lamar, ULM, ULL, Ark St, WKU
East fb- Troy, USA, GASt, GASo, AppSt, Liberty

Westfb- Texas St, Lamar, UTA, ULM, ULL, Ark St, UALR
East fb- WKU, Troy, USA, GASt, GASo, AppSt, Liberty

But if we assume that at some point and time CUSA will be raided by the nBE for Tulsa and SoMiss, its highly likely that WKU, and Ark St (possibly ULL/GA St) will get called up, and then does it change the divisions?

I think a that point NMSU/Idaho as fb onlys come into play since the conference will have 7 new FBS members and only 3 established ones in ULL/ULM/Troy.

Westfb- Idaho, NMSU, Texas St, Lamar, ULM, ULL

Westfb- Texas St, Lamar, UTA, ULM, ULL, UALR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:41 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

Sounds like they think some schools might come back...which is dumb.

Boise St and SDSU went back tot he MWC because they didn't belong in an Eastern Conference, Houston, SMU, Tulane, East Carolina, and UCF aren't going back to CUSA and FAU, FIU, MTSU, and UNT are not coming back to the SBC.

They will lose more members eventually and need to make sure that what is left over can survive or risk Karl killing off another conference. Plus I see no reason they would stop at 10 and be the only mid major w/o a CCG that's revenue they need.

The talk about maintaining divisions has me thinking, they'll replace the schools they lost w/ GA So/App St but IF they go to 12/14 they either need to add 1 fb school to each side (Liberty/Lamar) and 2 Eastern bball school for a 12/16 split (Davidson and ????) which is unlikely or just find a school that can work in both divisions and play fb in the West and other sports in the East. The only school that fits that description is Western Kentucky.

Westfb- Texas St, Lamar, ULM, ULL, Ark St, WKU

Westfb- Texas St, Lamar, UTA, ULM, ULL, Ark St, UALR
East fb- WKU, Troy, USA, GASt, GASo, AppSt, Liberty

But if we assume that at some point and time CUSA will be raided by the nBE for Tulsa and SoMiss, its highly likely that WKU, and Ark St (possibly ULL/GA St) will get called up, and then does it change the divisions?

I think a that point NMSU/Idaho as fb onlys come into play since the conference will have 7 new FBS members and only 3 established ones in ULL/ULM/Troy.

Westfb- Idaho, NMSU, Texas St, Lamar, ULM, ULL

Westfb- Texas St, Lamar, UTA, ULM, ULL, UALR

I think the way around the 2 non football schools is to do a N-S split. Hard to tell who will be left/coming down the road but something along the lines of

North: App St, Liberty, Ga St, GaSo, Jax State, UALR
South: Tex St, ULL, ULM, Troy, S Alabama, UT-A

That's 10/12. I think there's a chance Texas State ends up in C-USA so Lamar is probably there as a replacement. If 12 is a must you have Sam Houston and maybe James Madison (especially if the CAA is raided by AEast and A10) or you can always go with Idaho FB only in the north and NMSU FB only in the south.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:34 pm 
Junior
Junior

I also think that U. Texas - Arlington[b] will start a football team by 2014, so that drops the SBC into a 13/1 pattern, unless ULAR leaves or is forced out.[/b]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 94  Next