NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:34 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:53 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If SMU and Houston decide to go to the MWC instead of the Big East and they take Tulsa and UTEP with them C-USA will be getting hit hard. Not only will they be losing two solid western programs but the Big East will no doubt need to find replacements for their losses. This probably means losing 4 of the 14 members who are committed to the league. This probably means calling up 2-4 teams from the Sunbelt. I think WKU should be the first call up. Arkansas St and UL-Lafayette are also solid pick ups. I'm not sure who the 4th school would be though. Texas St, Georgia St, and South Alabama are recent start ups and FCS upgrades while Troy and ULM have tiny markets.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
If SMU and Houston decide to go to the MWC instead of the Big East and they take Tulsa and UTEP with them C-USA will be getting hit hard. Not only will they be losing two solid western programs but the Big East will no doubt need to find replacements for their losses. This probably means losing 4 of the 14 members who are committed to the league. This probably means calling up 2-4 teams from the Sunbelt. I think WKU should be the first call up. Arkansas St and UL-Lafayette are also solid pick ups. I'm not sure who the 4th school would be though. Texas St, Georgia St, and South Alabama are recent start ups and FCS upgrades while Troy and ULM have tiny markets.

I gotta think they'll need to reload out west first. However, I would think La Tech would want to block any Louisiana schools (and UAB any Alabama schools out east). Dunno if La Tech has that much pull but I think C-USA knew the Louisiana situation when they took La Tech. I would think Rice would get into the BE if Houston leaves. I think C-USA will need Texas State and Arkansas State to help rebuild the west especially for recruiting purposes.

So you have Tx St, N. Texas, UTSA, Ark St, La Tech, USM as a west division

My east would be UAB, FIU, FAU, MTSU, WKU, Marshall (I have Charlotte and ODU to the BE but swap schools in this division depending on who you think would leave).

Regardless I think it's safe to assume Tulsa and UTEP will be gone, the only question is where they end up. UTSA is a bit of a flight risk depending on the MWC/BYU/UH/SMU situation. If Houston and SMU stay in the BE and bring in Tulsa then keep Rice in C-USA and add Ga St out east.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If Houston and SMU stay, they'll add Tulsa(wants to be w/ SMU and Tulane) probably along w/ S.Miss. MWC would add UTEP and UTSA.

If Houston joins the MWC then UTEP would come w/ them. BE would add Rice, Tulsa, S.Miss or UTSA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
I gotta think they'll need to reload out west first. However, I would think La Tech would want to block any Louisiana schools (and UAB any Alabama schools out east). Dunno if La Tech has that much pull but I think C-USA knew the Louisiana situation when they took La Tech. I would think Rice would get into the BE if Houston leaves. I think C-USA will need Texas State and Arkansas State to help rebuild the west especially for recruiting purposes.

So you have Tx St, N. Texas, UTSA, Ark St, La Tech, USM as a west division

My east would be UAB, FIU, FAU, MTSU, WKU, Marshall (I have Charlotte and ODU to the BE but swap schools in this division depending on who you think would leave).

Regardless I think it's safe to assume Tulsa and UTEP will be gone, the only question is where they end up. UTSA is a bit of a flight risk depending on the MWC/BYU/UH/SMU situation. If Houston and SMU stay in the BE and bring in Tulsa then keep Rice in C-USA and add Ga St out east.

Not sure Texas State makes it in...if they are going for markets UTSA/Texas St have lots of overlap.

Also LA Tech hates ULM (their neighbor in North LA on I-20, and feels that they're not worthy to be in a conference w/ them) not so much ULL (they are all in the same system but ULL is the flagship and has some pull over LA Tech they could use). Still Tulane/LA Tech have the state pretty well covered so I think Arky St and WKU are the replacements for Tulsa and the other non-Texas TBA school (assuming UH/SMU stay) with GA State on deck.

West - UTEP, UTSA, Rice, UNT, Arky St, La Tech, USM
UAB (could go East or West depending who they lose, but let's say its UNCC/ODU)
East - UAB, FIU, FAU, MTSU, WKU, Marshall, Charlotte/ODU

Now if UTEP (MWC) and Rice (nBE) leave I think Georgia St is next in line and am split between Texas St/NMSU for 14.

West - NMSU/Texas St, UTSA, UNT, Arky St, La Tech, USM, UAB
East - FIU, FAU, GSU, MTSU, WKU, Marshall, Charlotte/ODU

If more defections happen ULL/Troy are on deck followed by more upgrades Liberty/UDel/AppSt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
If Houston and SMU stay, they'll add Tulsa(wants to be w/ SMU and Tulane) probably along w/ S.Miss. MWC would add UTEP and UTSA.

If Houston joins the MWC then UTEP would come w/ them. BE would add Rice, Tulsa, S.Miss or UTSA.

First I don't see UTSA as a nBE candidate. They've only grabbed schools that have been around so far. And I'm telling yall SMU is snobby, they freaked out when UTEP got a CUSA invite and were real snobs about anything to do w/ UNT. Until the SWC split, SMU refused to recognize Tech and UH as real SWC schools (at least their alums did) because they joined in the 50's and 70's instead of the 10-20's.

The more I think about it the more I'm certain that SMU wants to stay in the nBE and UH wants to leave. Rice and Tulsa would be welcomed in and UTEP/NMSU and UH would go to the MWC and best of all it puts all the SWC schools (ok so it was only Rice) in the best situation outside of the Big 5.

I've been thinking that MWC might eventually add UTSA/UTEP (if no UH) but figured it wouldn't be anytime soon. Wait until they see what the next TV contract pays and then float that idea to the networks. Those school aren't the slam dunk that UH is nor have the history of $MU but still large/largish markets with no direct fb school in the immediate area (yeah UT still owns SA but still).

MWC will stay at 12, and work on BYU while keeping tabs on UTEP (and NMSU to a lesser extent) and if they pass the UTEP/UTSA combo may make them some money when the time comes. San Antonio feels more like a Western city than most of the cities in the Texas Triangle (DFW>I-45>Houston>I-10>Austin/SanAntonio>I-35>DFW) and the pairing of UT system schools make it look like it was meant to be (sorry UTA/UTPA). Hell, Rice and UNT may want to come to depending on how CUSA 3.0 is working out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 pm 
Junior
Junior

TKALMUS - Thanks for the advice on the other thread about the bold lettering! I see Houston and UTEP to MWC and Tulsa to BE to replace Houston. This leaves two spots open in CUSA to be filled. What do you think of Western Kentucky and Arkansas St.? I know La Tech hates ULM and ULL, so they will be blocked from coming up, also UNT does not want another Texas school in the conference. I think they had to agree on UTSA because UTEP probably supported that move, but they will not want Texas St. in. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:
TKALMUS - Thanks for the advice on the other thread about the bold lettering! I see Houston and UTEP to MWC and Tulsa to BE to replace Houston. This leaves two spots open in CUSA to be filled. What do you think of Western Kentucky and Arkansas St.? I know La Tech hates ULM and ULL, so they will be blocked from coming up, also UNT does not want another Texas school in the conference. I think they had to agree on UTSA because UTEP probably supported that move, but they will not want Texas St. in. What do you guys think?

In one of these threads w/ both made predictions neither of us had the MWC getting anyone other than SDSU. We had Tulsa to the nBE(if navy is in do they stay at 12 or go to 14). He had WKU replacing Tulsa, I had Arkansas St. so if 2 go those will probably be the 2 coming in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:

No problem buddy, also preview will let you see how your post will look before you post it.

If Houston joins the MWC, Rice will replace them (they would keep the nBE in the Houston market and they go great with Tulane/SMU also small private academic universities)

Assuming SDSU returns to the MWC and Navy opt not to join, and that the Big East want a conference championship game and needs to get to 12 they will still need 2 more schools.

Tulsa is the obvious choice to bond Houston/SMU/Tulane/Memphis together and I think they need another SW schools like So Miss to come up with a rounded East/West 12 team conference.

Like FSA said I think WKU is next up for CUSA and he thinks its Arky St, but also in the conversation is Louisiana Lafayette, Troy and Georgia State.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:37 pm 
Junior
Junior

Thanks TKALMUS and FSA, you guys are great reads on these threads! I have to agree with your assessment here. Rice will replace Houston. - Not a good team, but market trumps playability nowadays huh? I also agree that Western Kentucky is in too. I still don't see LaTech letting any of the other (ULL, ULM) Louisiana schools in. So, I think that I would go with Arkansas St., but what about reloading with Texas schools? If CUSA looses Houston (MWC), Rice (BE), U. Texas- E.P. (MWC), and lets say Tulsa (BE) - would you not want to loose that much territory in the south central portion of the states and not want an additional school for replacement. I know they will still have U. North Texas (Denton, TX), and U. Texas - S.A. (San Antonio, TX) - but would not another Texas school like Texas St. or Lamar be an option?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

UTSA has had no contact with the MWC nor nBE and is happy in CUSA

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/coll ... 189872.php

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:
Thanks TKALMUS and FSA, you guys are great reads on these threads! I have to agree with your assessment here. Rice will replace Houston. - Not a good team, but market trumps playability nowadays huh? I also agree that Western Kentucky is in too. I still don't see LaTech letting any of the other (ULL, ULM) Louisiana schools in. So, I think that I would go with Arkansas St., but what about reloading with Texas schools? If CUSA looses Houston (MWC), Rice (BE), U. Texas- E.P. (MWC), and lets say Tulsa (BE) - would you not want to loose that much territory in the south central portion of the states and not want an additional school for replacement. I know they will still have U. North Texas (Denton, TX), and U. Texas - S.A. (San Antonio, TX) - but would not another Texas school like Texas St. or Lamar be an option?

Not sure Texas State brings much to CUSA right now as its less than an hour from UTSA (if they leave then yes), Lamar might be a target if Rice leaves, Arky State is a good replacement for Tulsa, NMSU would be good replacements for UTEP, Louisiana Lafayette is a solid replacement for Southern Miss and reclaim some of Tulane's market, Troy could replace UAB and App St could East Carolina.

Also new markets could be Western Kentucky, Georgia State, Liberty and UDel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Would it affect the division format within C-USA with Tulane (to Big East for all-sports) and East Carolina (to Big East for football, uncertain conference for all other sports) out; and Middle Tennessee State and Florida Atlantic (for all sports; both from the Sun Belt) when the 2014-15 starts?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Would it affect the division format within C-USA with Tulane (to Big East for all-sports) and East Carolina (to Big East for football, uncertain conference for all other sports) out; and Middle Tennessee State and Florida Atlantic (for all sports; both from the Sun Belt) when the 2014-15 starts?

C-USA hasn't made any comments regarding division alignment for 2013-2014 or 2014-2015 but I imagine 2013-2014 will be treated like a transition year and 1 LA school will be in the East and the other in the West. For 2014-2015 onward i think they would tentatively look like this:

East--FAU, FIU, UAB, Mid Tenn, Charlotte, ODU, Marshall
West--Southern Miss, LA Tech, Rice, UTSA, North Texas, Tulsa, UTEP

Considering the fluidity of the MWC/BE situation though I doubt all of those schools will still be there for 2014-2015

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

C-USA hasn't made any comments regarding division alignment for 2013-2014 or 2014-2015 but I imagine 2013-2014 will be treated like a transition year and 1 LA school will be in the East and the other in the West. For 2014-2015 onward i think they would tentatively look like this:

East--FAU, FIU, UAB, Mid Tenn, Charlotte, ODU, Marshall
West--Southern Miss, LA Tech, Rice, UTSA, North Texas, Tulsa, UTEP

Considering the fluidity of the MWC/BE situation though I doubt all of those schools will still be there for 2014-2015

I see your point. Thanks.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Lafayette discussing C-USA realignment situation at http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... n-MTSU-FAU

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 55  Next