NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 930 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 62  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:23 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
MWC w/ UH/SMU would be the clear #1
Line up

MWC - nBE
BSU - Cincy
AFA - ?Navy? (if they join)
Houston - ECU
Nevada - Temple
SMU - UCF
Hawaii - ?Tulsa?
Utah St - ?So Miss?
SJSU - ?Rice?
CSU - Tulane
WYO - Memphis
UNM - ?Marshall?UAB?ODU?LA Tech?
UNLV - ?UTSA?UNCC?GA St?UMass?

You forgot 2 of the 3 MWC tri champs Fresno and SDSU

But he didn't forget the only victorious CSU in a bowl!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tk, csn board, SMU fan response to your post on here about SMU :D

I enjoy your posts but find this ridiculous. Your "source" obviously doesn't know SMU. We are about to start a 6 year series with UNT (yes we give them grief but it is fun and will be a good local rivalry) and nobody complained about UTEP.

If you were as old as me you would know why we made fun of Tech and will continue to do so. Right now Houston and SMU are working in tandem. We are shopping the Houston/Dallas markets together and the MWC or BE is not our endgame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

I enjoy your posts but find this ridiculous. Your "source" obviously doesn't know SMU. We are about to start a 6 year series with UNT (yes we give them grief but it is fun and will be a good local rivalry) and nobody complained about UTEP.

If you were as old as me you would know why we made fun of Tech and will continue to do so. Right now Houston and SMU are working in tandem. We are shopping the Houston/Dallas markets together and the MWC or BE is not our endgame

LOVE IT. I said this...

tkalmus wrote:
First I don't see UTSA as a nBE candidate. They've only grabbed schools that have been around so far. And I'm telling yall SMU is snobby, they freaked out when UTEP got a CUSA invite and were real snobs about anything to do w/ UNT. Until the SWC split, SMU refused to recognize Tech and UH as real SWC schools (at least their alums did) because they joined in the 50's and 70's instead of the 10-20's.

So I'm over reacting to UNT (but not wrong), wrong about UTEP, right on Tech, and they are working with UH (never said they weren't).

On UNT - I wish we had links for these memories but I've seen and heard (I lived 2 miles away from SMU for years and currently live just 12 miles away) all that "grief" about UNT first hand and it wasn't in "good fun", then how they'd never let them join CUSA. They'll play them now that they feel more superior/secure with themselves but complained about the last series in 06-07 when they lost to them 24-6 in 2006. I guess that a perspective thing but whatever.

On UTEP- The UTEP thing was just them wanting LA Tech over UTEP in CUSA but I remember some heated arguments about that so I guess they just like to gamble in Shreveport more than party in the Sun Bowl. Still perhaps I'm overstating it with "freaked out" but they didn't want UTEP.

And I know all about Tech. SMU hasn't always loved UH but yeah they've hitched their ride to them in this realignment saga but last time they went with TCU/Rice to the WAC but UH to CUSA...I wonder why?

SMU fans will never think they are stuck up and ignorant about sports but I used to get free tickets just by walking down the street and the stadium would be half empty while the street tailgates were full. The football game was just a big street party but few of them actually went to the games and don't get me started on bball. I know its a little better but when my friend's wife was getting her Masters there two years ago we went to a game and it was pretty much the same thing. I know they can show up for a game or two but still, its pretty weak.

Another thing that's always bugged me is that rich ass SMU in talent laden DFW doesn't have baseball/softball team but Dallas Baptist does and makes the freaking CWS. Way to commit yourself to sports Ponies. As you can tell I'm not a big SMU fan, but I do respect their school and appeal in conference realignment. Still I'm hoping that they don't join the MWC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

LOVE IT. I said this...

tkalmus wrote:
First I don't see UTSA as a nBE candidate. They've only grabbed schools that have been around so far. And I'm telling yall SMU is snobby, they freaked out when UTEP got a CUSA invite and were real snobs about anything to do w/ UNT. Until the SWC split, SMU refused to recognize Tech and UH as real SWC schools (at least their alums did) because they joined in the 50's and 70's instead of the 10-20's.

So I'm over reacting to UNT (but not wrong), wrong about UTEP, right on Tech, and they are working with UH (never said they weren't).

On UNT - I wish we had links for these memories but I've seen and heard (I lived 2 miles away from SMU for years and currently live just 12 miles away) all that "grief" about UNT first hand and it wasn't in "good fun", then how they'd never let them join CUSA. They'll play them now that they feel more superior/secure with themselves but complained about the last series in 06-07 when they lost to them 24-6 in 2006. I guess that a perspective thing but whatever.

On UTEP- The UTEP thing was just them wanting LA Tech over UTEP in CUSA but I remember some heated arguments about that so I guess they just like to gamble in Shreveport more than party in the Sun Bowl. Still perhaps I'm overstating it with "freaked out" but they didn't want UTEP.

And I know all about Tech. SMU hasn't always loved UH but yeah they've hitched their ride to them in this realignment saga but last time they went with TCU/Rice to the WAC but UH to CUSA...I wonder why?

SMU fans will never think they are stuck up and ignorant about sports but I used to get free tickets just by walking down the street and the stadium would be half empty while the street tailgates were full. The football game was just a big street party but few of them actually went to the games and don't get me started on bball. I know its a little better but when my friend's wife was getting her Masters there two years ago we went to a game and it was pretty much the same thing. I know they can show up for a game or two but still, its pretty weak.

Another thing that's always bugged me is that rich ass SMU in talent laden DFW doesn't have baseball/softball team but Dallas Baptist does and makes the freaking CWS. Way to commit yourself to sports Ponies. As you can tell I'm not a big SMU fan, but I do respect their school and appeal in conference realignment. Still I'm hoping that they don't join the MWC.

nBE school have gone loony w/ conspiracy theories now that they've lost BSU and everyone else you ever remember playing sports in that league. They think SDSU is going to lure Fresno, SJSU, UNLV to go to the BE now that BSU is back in the MWC. An uneducated Fresno fan started one of these on the csn nbe board. MWC board uses his name and a couple of SDSU guys as the butt of all the jokes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:

Because TCU screwed them all (including UTEP)?

I really do see a sequel coming in the MWC like the WAC had not so long ago, and I'd bet on it if BYU does come back. Build an "uber" MWC that is unsustainable and watch "the core" split. Only this time, instead of TCU, it's UH and SMU (and I, too, would rather not see SMU in the MWC, but I think they are viewed better than schools more deserving, like UTEP and Tulsa) taking a walk, leaving behind the likes of SJSU, UNR, FS, and maybe even Boise.

That aside, there's stuff out there that the MWC wants Boise and not SDSU. Is it April already? Let's not forget how the two schools handled their departures over the spring and summer...SDSU was all business and very good with their timing and communication, whereas Boise was (and really still is) a hot mess. If there is any genuine distrust for SDSU in the MWC, then it's because SDSU is in talks with one of the major players. Seriously...there is absolutely no way these schools want to do business and hitch themselves to a program like Boise instead of SDSU.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:25 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

The Boise St. agreement is likely a way for the MWC to bring BYU back without having to beg. Since BYU would get the same deal as Boise St., which is something bYU would want, and they'd get access to the BCS bid...I could see BYU making the return. Prior to the Boise St. agreement...not a chance BYU comes back. But now, things have changed.

But even if BYU were willing to join...which I think we can still call a mid-to-long shot...there is still the SDSU issue. If they are next to get invited, the MWC would need to make the offer so awful for SDSU that they'd turn it down if they wanted BYU for #12.

Sure, there is always the 14 option of BYU, SDSU and UTEP.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
The Boise St. agreement is likely a way for the MWC to bring BYU back without having to beg. Since BYU would get the same deal as Boise St., which is something bYU would want, and they'd get access to the BCS bid...I could see BYU making the return. Prior to the Boise St. agreement...not a chance BYU comes back. But now, things have changed.

But even if BYU were willing to join...which I think we can still call a mid-to-long shot...there is still the SDSU issue. If they are next to get invited, the MWC would need to make the offer so awful for SDSU that they'd turn it down if they wanted BYU for #12.

Sure, there is always the 14 option of BYU, SDSU and UTEP.

BYU's biggest thing was keeping their replay rights and getting national exposure, and if they can sell their own games to ESPN and keep most of that money and most of their replay rights then you'd got to think the MWC just became more attractive to them when you consider the no access to the BCS thing.

Durring its time in the MWC, BYU won the MWC fb title 3 times and split it once tieing Utah for the most (TCU won it 3 times during and once after BYU/Utah left), and would have been a BCS team under the new system in 2002, 2007, and would have played Boise for the bid in 2006. Compared to how they are doing now, you'd think they'd use this as an excuse to save face and get back into the MWC.

I think there is no way that BYU will come next year but 2014 and 2015 their schedule is mostly MWC/CUSA/BE teams so I think if it happens soon it would be 2014 at the earliest.

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
SMU hasn't always loved UH but yeah they've hitched their ride to them in this realignment saga but last time they went with TCU/Rice to the WAC but UH to CUSA...I wonder why?

That was a rhetorical question about why UH didn't joined the WAC with SMU/Rice/TCU and instead join CUSA by there lonesome. We all know TCU was looking out for themselves but my point was that UH and SMU don't share this tight bond of hitorical significance, UH was willing to part with SMU before and I doubt they'd have any trouble doing it again. SMU may have decided its best for them to go with UH but the poster FSA told me about acts like they've been attached at the hip forever and its simply not true.

TCU/SMU/Rice and Baylor always had a gentleman's agreement as the private bloc of the SWC and could stand up together against Texas, Tech, A&M, and Arky but when Houston joined the bloc was less powerful and they didn't treat UH very well because of it. So when the Arky left for the SEC and UT/TT/A&M/Baylor left for the SWC, UH wasn't really feeling all that attached to the private SWC bloc and decided to go their own way and join CUSA while TCU/Rice/SMU joined the WAC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

It appears SDSU AD (Sterk) pissed off a number of MWC members with some denigrating comments over the past year, and the MWC is now letting SDSU know about it....

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2013/1/2/3 ... ack-to-mwc

Thompson inists that MWC and SDSU are working through the issues.... wonder if firing Sterk may be part of the price of the "re-entry fee" ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
It appears SDSU AD (Sterk) pissed off a number of MWC members with some denigrating comments over the past year, and the MWC is now letting SDSU know about it....

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2013/1/2/3 ... ack-to-mwc

Thompson inists that MWC and SDSU are working through the issues.... wonder if firing Sterk may be part of the price of the "re-entry fee" ?

I don't and won't buy it. SDSU is in by nothing more than their word. That's what's legit. If some school rep goes rogue to take a dig at Sterk's "forward not backward" line and his love for the word "national" when talking about the Big East, let them have their tantrum.

Honestly, I'm ashamed McMurphy indulged the "source" by printing it. He never would have done this in CBS. Makes me wonder if it's one of the BYU people. At some point it's going to come out that the brass in Provo seethe over Thompson with their glasses of milk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm 
Senior
Senior

I believe SDSU is in. The question is where does SMU and Houston end up.

I would think the MWC would be very attractive to TV if they could get the above even better if they get BYU and Tulsa.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:27 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

We've seen the game of chicken before with both the WAC and the MWC. The WAC thought it could poach MWC schools when BYU was set to join as a non-FB member...they didn't think Nevada and Fresno St. would walk. For the MWC, they never expected schools liek Boise St. and SDSU to walk since they were so far away from any conferences that would expand (since the Pac-12 was not interested and the Big 12 passed on them).

But this time, if you're the MWC, I think you might have SDSU in a barrel. I mean, if SDSU has only ONE option (to join the Big East for FB), the MWC hold the cards. They can agree to let SDSU in, but at an increased entrance fee, reduced rev share as a "new" member. SDSU offers much less than Boise St. does and they have no other options. Anyone think is Wyoming had left that the conference would let them back in?

I think the plan would be:
1) talk to BYU and make them an offer. The plan would be to give them a deal similar to Boise St. and let them know that the plan would be to add them as #14 with SDSU and UTEP (or Houston or SMU for #13 instead of UTEP) IFFFF the conference can come to terms with a pair from that group (SDSU as "first" offer).
2) Then, when BYU agrees in principle, the MWC offers SDSU with a bad offer...higher entry fee, staggered rev share over time (like Rutgers has in the B10).
3) If SDSU says "yes", then you bring them in, BYU and a 14th.
4) If SDSU says "no", then BYU is the lone #12.

For MWC expansion, based on the TV situation, I only see BYU, Houston, SMU and then SDSU as positive additions. They need big markets to get any positive revenue out of a revamped TV deal.

BYU is the "get". If the MWC can't get them or if they do, Houston and SMU top the list. SDSU is a positive for sure. But I dont see UTEP as a gain, but merely a 14th if BYU and SDSU are both brought in...and neither Houston or SMU opt for the #14 spot. Being the lone Texas school worked for TCU...dont' see why SMU wouldnt' give it a shot.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

I really do see a sequel coming in the MWC like the WAC had not so long ago, and I'd bet on it if BYU does come back. Build an "uber" MWC that is unsustainable and watch "the core" split. Only this time, instead of TCU, it's UH and SMU (and I, too, would rather not see SMU in the MWC, but I think they are viewed better than schools more deserving, like UTEP and Tulsa) taking a walk, leaving behind the likes of SJSU, UNR, FS, and maybe even Boise.

That aside, there's stuff out there that the MWC wants Boise and not SDSU. Is it April already? Let's not forget how the two schools handled their departures over the spring and summer...SDSU was all business and very good with their timing and communication, whereas Boise was (and really still is) a hot mess. If there is any genuine distrust for SDSU in the MWC, then it's because SDSU is in talks with one of the major players. Seriously...there is absolutely no way these schools want to do business and hitch themselves to a program like Boise instead of SDSU.

You must have missed the 10 threads on the mwc and csn board where they have quotes and radio interviews of the SDSU AD talking sh*t about the MWC while sucking nBE co*k at the same time.
He said that they outgrew the MWC and the nBE was a National conf that was better for their school.

So if they outgrew us, why do they want to come back? He needed to STFU his school aint that important and the 3rd favorite school in their own city.

Fresno and SDSU may be CSUs but we are a hell of a lot more tight w/ Hawaii and BSU than SDSU.

Do you realize how petty the MWC is, they f*cked over Fresno, Hawaii, and UTEP and took UNLV when they began.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Do you realize how petty the MWC is, they f*cked over Fresno, Hawaii, and UTEP and took UNLV when they began.

Very much so, although I think the biggest stinker of the conference no longer walks amongst them (BYU). But I don't get all of the fervor over the "we're national" speak when, for a brief period, the Big East was, and how taking SJSU and USU was forward, not backward when it isn't. Not flattering by any means, but not worthy of this ire. Because he was correct.

And the remark about good business had to do with how swiftly and smoothly SDSU made the move to the Big East, put its ollies into the Big West, and didn't make either Big East or the MWC wait on what they would do when things got dicey (the Boise State deadline thing). SDSU stuck to their guns, swiftly declining the MWC counter-offers and aligning with the Big East. Boise played the clock and didn't do a thing until the literal last minute, and done without any regard to its other sports. One is how you are to do business, and the other is amateur hour.

To me, any MWC fan getting happy over the return of Boise State redeems Sterk's comments. If the MWC was serious in this matter, it should have made BYU the top priority, then SDSU, then Boise well after and in no other matter of priority than just that. As is, good luck getting anyone other than SDSU back, if even they "take the bait."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Very much so, although I think the biggest stinker of the conference no longer walks amongst them (BYU). But I don't get all of the fervor over the "we're national" speak when, for a brief period, the Big East was, and how taking SJSU and USU was forward, not backward when it isn't. Not flattering by any means, but not worthy of this ire. Because he was correct.

And the remark about good business had to do with how swiftly and smoothly SDSU made the move to the Big East, put its ollies into the Big West, and didn't make either Big East or the MWC wait on what they would do when things got dicey (the Boise State deadline thing). SDSU stuck to their guns, swiftly declining the MWC counter-offers and aligning with the Big East. Boise played the clock and didn't do a thing until the literal last minute, and done without any regard to its other sports. One is how you are to do business, and the other is amateur hour.

SDSU thinks they're high and mighty and I don't even understand why. Their football was an absolute joke not even 5 years ago. I started at SJSU, we beat them. I just finished and guess what, we beat them this year too. So why they think they're hot s**t is beyond me because in 5 years they've improved as much as SJSU. FSAlum even said it, they're the third favorite team in San Diego.

All I know is it makes me laugh that after all their big talk (both Boise and SDSU) they're gonna be right where they started with the same teams they've always been around.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

To me it seems like leaving out San Diego St only serves to hurt the MWC. They give up a good tv market and a solid basketball team and in exchange they get a disgruntled, loose cannon, rogue athletic program in their backyard that will be actively recruiting members of the MWC to join them in the BE at any sign that there is any sort of dissent within the MWC ranks.

I don't see the point of leaving them out in hopes that BYU wants in. Take them now, avoid the fuss, and if BYU wants in then admit them along with a UTEP, Tulsa, SMU, or Houston for 14 or if they are feeling ambitious take 3 of the 4 and go with 16. Why create unnecessary bad blood or exasperate a situation where bad blood is already in the water over a few comments by an AD? If its a matter of financially bleeding SDSU in order for them to get their invite that is actually counter-productive because that is money that SDSU could spend improving their program and improving the MWC brand. As a Cal St school they are are never getting into the Pac 12 so there is no where that SDSU is going to go once they are back in---they are MWC for life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 930 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 62  Next