NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:39 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297 ... 346  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Blog article out of Boise(previously posted in another thread)with more details regarding BSU deal with MWC that allowed BSU to avoid future BE membership.Deal also gives SDSU an exclusive MWC membership option window until 31 January.Link at http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2013/0 ... _exit_fees

"— The Mountain West will extend an option to San Diego State to join the league before offering membership to any other institution. The right of first option to San Diego State shall expire on Jan. 31."

Interesting. Glad they will all be back. Now what about Houston?

So did that make it sound like they're going to 14 and SDSU has until Jan 31 to be #12. Or you can be 12 if you say no(they won't) then someone else will be 12.

To me it sounds like they're going to 14.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Dennis Dodd blog article(previously posted in another thread)discussing SDSU/MWC membership situation at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ntain-west

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

As soon as the SEC gets va tech and nc state the ACC will call cincy, uconn , temple and umass.
UCONN-ACC
Cincy-ACC
USF
UCF
Temple-ACC
Memphis
Tulane
ECU
SMU-MWC
UH-MWC
Navy-No telling
Army-No telling

Big CUSA Lite is left with 5 schools do they fold and rejoin cusa or stay and wait for others to join

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I believe the current Big East leadership made a very good decision in not providing Boise State special treatments. We all know what type of issues this has caused in the past with Notre Dame. Implosion comes to mind.

Boise State is the most overrated school not currently in one of the new five power leagues.

Maybe Boise State officials making these demands of the Big East just assumes the school is going to be representing the group of five by getting the access bowl bid every year. In fact Boise State would not have got the bid during the last three years if the new BCS would have been in place. Cincinnati would have got the access bid in 2010, Houston would have in 2011, and of course the MAC got the BCS bid this year with Northern Illinois.

Additionally UCF and USF have never lived up their potential of being in one of the largest and best requiting high school football states in the nation and Boise State will have to continue to rely on farming California for requits which worked in the past and may not going forward.

Boise State had a few good runs and played in a couple BCS bowls which can be somewhat contributed by the media hype of trying to destroy the Big East BCS automatic bid. Less see if the media continues to push Boise State in the new system.

I do not see any real advantages for Houston and SMU going to the MWC over a reconfigured Big East as well. The MWC is a second thought in major western markets including Phoenix and neither the new Big East or MWC is going to demand a great TV contact.

To me it comes down to which conference has the best chance of getting the group of five access bowl bid. Based on the above, I see the new Big East having as good or better chance of getting the access bid over a MWC that keeps Boise State. It has not helped either the MWC or WAC getting BCS access with Boise State over the last three years.

And in years the Big East is able to get the new BCS access bid they will not have to share half of the money with one particular school that is way overrated.

Good luck MWC on creating a mini Notre Dame and congrats Big East for avoiding a second run at a Pre Madonna school that does not contribute its weight in value.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Mark Blaudschun blog article discussing attempt by BE to keep SDSU by trying to add another western school "like" FSU.Also discusses tomorrow's Catholic 7 meeting.Link at http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4602

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:25 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

San Diego St's affinity, according to the Jersey Guy, article doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why pass on the opportunity to be in a geographically friendly league with BCS buster Boise St for playing similar calibre teams on the other side of the country in football and the Big West for everything else?

If Fresno St wasn't sold on going to the BE when the BE had Boise why would they want to join a BE w/o Boise?

If Mark is right then either there is some really bad blood between SDSU and the MWC or the folks running SDSU are out of their minds. The bad blood theory doesnt make a whole lot of sense b/c SDSU was very cordial and professional in their MWC withdraw and did so in a timely manner while Boise St's withdraw was like a bull in a china shop. If the bad blood is on the MWC's part that doesnt make a lot of sense either since San Diego is one of the league's biggest markets and the Aztecs athletic program is solid, particularly in basketball--in this case the MWC is being downright childish and spiteful, deciding to hurt their own league by leaving SDSU out in the cold simply to prove a point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I expect that SDS just has to grovel a bit more, then they'll be accepted. Only BYU's willingness to go back to the MWC is likely to keep them out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 pm 
Senior
Senior

footballgod wrote:
As soon as the SEC gets va tech and nc state the ACC will call cincy, uconn , temple and umass.
UCONN-ACC
Cincy-ACC
USF
UCF
Temple-ACC
Memphis
Tulane
ECU
SMU-MWC
UH-MWC
Navy-No telling
Army-No telling

Big CUSA Lite is left with 5 schools do they fold and rejoin cusa or stay and wait for others to join

Don't be surprised if the SEC ends up with Virginia and Duke, 2 more AAU schools. Might end up with Virginia, Duke, UNC along with a 4th from Virginia Tech, NC State and FSU, probably the Hokies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie -

BINGO - there IS bad blood right now. I'm looking for this Sterk guy to be urged to "resign", prior to SDSU's re-admission to MWC.

An analogy might be Jim Calhoun at Connecticut, who was a bit too vociferous with comments about ACC and Boston College back in the 2003-2004 time frame.
UConn is STILL not in the ACC, although I suspect they will be team #16 at some point.

At this point, Aresco is probably quietly hoping SDSU heads back to MWC, Navy goes back to being independent,
and he can piece together a 12-team league with a footprint of East Coast to Texas.
(what Dip-sh** Marinatto SHOULD have done, instead of creating this monstrosity).
At that point, everyone can stand down and get back to business of actually playing sports.

Aresco came in to preside over "Marinatto's Mess", and has had to focus entirely on it being dismantled.
But in the final analysis, it will be the best thing that could happen for all concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tute79 wrote:
fighting muskie -

BINGO - there IS bad blood right now. I'm looking for this Sterk guy to be urged to "resign", prior to SDSU's re-admission to MWC.

Refresh my memory--what was it that Sterk said that has the MWC in such a tizzy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't know exactly, so I tried to google it, and a bunch of things referred to posts on MWC message board which have been since "taken donw".

However, in various commentaries on the situation, I have seen 3 independent messages about his "inappropriate comments."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

He didn't say anything so bad, mostly he just kept making public statements that drew attention confirming and reconfirming SDSU's commitment to the Big East, I think once he said with or w/o BSU, and kept saying how the Big East was a big improvement for his school.

Separately they seem harmless, but timing wise they did come right after various stages of the reports about BSU possibly returning, and bascially was making the MWC appear less desirable in the media in addition to adding more negative noise to any possible BSU/MWC deal. And most likely he should have just stayed quiet since SDSU isn't really in a position to demand anything from anyone but they were acting and talking like they were.

I think it all just rubbed some people the wrong way and now that the MWC has the leverage they are returning the favor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
He didn't say anything so bad, mostly he just kept making public statements that drew attention confirming and reconfirming SDSU's commitment to the Big East, I think once he said with or w/o BSU, and kept saying how the Big East was a big improvement for his school.

Separately they seem harmless, but timing wise they did come right after various stages of the reports about BSU possibly returning, and bascially was making the MWC appear less desirable in the media in addition to adding more negative noise to any possible BSU/MWC deal. And most likely he should have just stayed quiet since SDSU isn't really in a position to demand anything from anyone but they were acting and talking like they were.

I think it all just rubbed some people the wrong way and now that the MWC has the leverage they are returning the favor.

He said that they outgrew the MWC and the nBE was a National conf that was better for their school.

So if they outgrew us, why do they want to come back? He needed to STFU his school aint that important and the 3rd favorite school in their own city.

Fresno and SDSU may be CSUs but we are a hell of a lot more tight w/ Hawaii and BSU than SDSU.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:

I don't think the MWC has the leverage without BYU. And if BYU is talking with schools like Houston, SMU, and SDSU, it will be easy as anything to pluck CSU, Wyo, and AFA right out of it and "get the band back together." Who gets to be #8 will be the doozie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

I don't think the MWC has the leverage without BYU. And if BYU is talking with schools like Houston, SMU, and SDSU, it will be easy as anything to pluck CSU, Wyo, and AFA right out of it and "get the band back together." Who gets to be #8 will be the doozie.

Once again, BYU is staying independent...for now they aren't going gvie up that dream for nothing. And the Big East has no leverage over any MWC school. AFA, FSU, UNLV, and now BSU have all said we're good in the MWC. So yeah BYU has a trump card that can change a lot of things but for now the MWC has ALL the leverage on SDSU.

"Hey SDSU, play bball in a tiny 1 bid bus league and fb in a broken down Eastern/Southern yet to be named league that may not even have Houston/SMU where nobody wants you and your horrible travel for the same money and same BCS spot as the MWC gets, or begged Daddy Hair for the 12th spot and hope they go easy on you for being such a little snot."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297 ... 346  Next