NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:25 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 62  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BSU had to wait because the BW didn't want them and their original plan to join the WAC died in seconds. There are still 3 of that gang of 5 there that are petty.

I'll take USU and SJSU any day over Tulane. So SDSU should quit pretending the BE is any better. Whoever has BSU is better. The best BE team Cincy will be gone along w/ UConn to the ACC as soon as the B1G or SEC go to 16. Which could be in a year or 2. Slive doesn't like scheduling for 14 and the B1G will probably take 2 more to get more BTN on the main package in whatever cities make them the most money when they redo their contract in 2017.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

here's the BSU deal they get 300 to 500K bonus, home or away if their game is on ABC/ESPN. Read my questions in the thread and let me know if any of you tv guys can answer them.

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?showtopic=45164

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:40 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I'll take USU and SJSU any day over Tulane. So SDSU should quit pretending the BE is any better.

For the MWC? USU and SJSU over Tulane, yes.

But in general, who'd be the more valuable property? Tulane, by far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I'll take USU and SJSU any day over Tulane. So SDSU should quit pretending the BE is any better.

For the MWC? USU and SJSU over Tulane, yes.

But in general, who'd be the more valuable property? Tulane, by far.

Not according to the nBE guys. Anyone is better than Tulane. We are talking football. Tulane hasn't been worth 2 sh*ts since 1998. At least SJSU and USU have shown signs of life. Tulane does nothing to help the nBE rank higher in the gang of 5. SJSU, USU can as long as they are anywhere close to what they did this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I don't want to diminish what Utah St and San Jose St accomplished this season but the WAC was a diminished league this year and next year in the MWC they are going to be back with a lot of the teams that once dominated them. I have to think they'd probably be middle of the pack teams in the MWC this season.

With that being said, it seems silly to have them around while not including San Diego St just out of spite.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
I don't want to diminish what Utah St and San Jose St accomplished this season but the WAC was a diminished league this year and next year in the MWC they are going to be back with a lot of the teams that once dominated them. I have to think they'd probably be middle of the pack teams in the MWC this season.

With that being said, it seems silly to have them around while not including San Diego St just out of spite.

I agree on where they finish, while Tulane will finish last in the nBE or battle Memphis for last. SJSU and USU do more for conf depth and strength than Tulane.

You're welcome SJSUfan, I've never defended your sorry ass school this much ever. There I feel better I called them a name.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

I agree on where they finish, while Tulane will finish last in the nBE or battle Memphis for last. SJSU and USU do more for conf depth and strength than Tulane.

You're welcome SJSUfan, I've never defended your sorry ass school this much ever. There I feel better I called them a name.

You are spot on. San Jose St and Utah St are additions that add depth to their conference. Tulane and Memphis offer little more than a dubious claim to a television market in which most people could care less about them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJS had average attendance of 9,000 this season.

Most high schools around the country did better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:

:lol:

I said they were good, I didn't say anyone cared. Everyone was at the Stanford game and the Cal game. The rest of the fans were distributed evenly among UC Davis, Sac St., SJSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:39 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
westwolf wrote:

:lol:

I said they were good, I didn't say anyone cared. Everyone was at the Stanford game and the Cal game. The rest of the fans were distributed evenly among UC Davis, Sac St., SJSU

I admit it, I skipped an SJSU game for the Stanford-USC game...

Most HS? Most? Come on now.

Oh and I had a question for you guys on attendance numbers. I know 9,000 is on wiki so maybe that's where you're getting it from. But it also says in 2011 we had 18k per game. Now there is no way in hell the stadium was half as empty as it was last season, not a chance! So did the NCAA change the way attendance is counted (paid vs bodies in the stands?). Or can I chalk that up to wiki isn't always right (blasphemy!)

And thanks for the defense FSA. Your school isn't so bad either. You guys are helping us build our nursing program I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

My bad, sort of. The site did say 10,800 not 9,000. Many high schools would have been more accurate than most.
They do have a good team and potentially a great TV market.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:
My bad, sort of. The site did say 10,800 not 9,000. Many high schools would have been more accurate than most.
They do have a good team and potentially a great TV market.

I just went to the NCAA website and no attendence numbers have been officially released (I think they wait until after the bowl games). But...when you consider that they were good this year and had good home matchups with Utah St, BYU, and LA Tech I don't think it would be below 12.5K (2005 total). But I'll double check the numbers when the NCAA releases them.

SJSU 2005 - 12,506
SJSU 2006 - 18,854
SJSU 2007 - 15,465
SJSU 2008 - 20,952
SJSU 2009 - 15,344
SJSU 2010 - 14,474
SJSU 2011 - 18,214

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Here's my source. You're right to challenge but it's the only one I've seen for 2012. Maybe a typically SEC-skewed source.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/college_football_regular-seaso.html

Last edited by westwolf on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

There are plenty of ways that schools can skew their attendance numbers for the NCAA. For instance if San Jose St wanted to improve their numbers they could host a Band Night. Ohio University did that this against NMSU---they invited a ton of high school bands to come and learn a song with their marching band in the morning and then that night all of those bands went out on the field to play the star spangled banner and then at halftime played the song the rehearsed that morning.

The result was about 20-25% of the stadium's capacity being filled with these kid's bodies and another huge chunk of the stands filled with their parents who all paid admission to be there and otherwise wouldn't have cared about OU football.--I'm pretty sure they set an attendance record that night.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
...because the BW didn't want them

...which is what Boise State should have written in their politefully worded letter of rejection to the Big East, instead of sending the mother of all messages to their non-fb student athletes that they didn't matter, weren't wanted, and weren't going to impede the football program as if it was THEIR fault they weren't wanted and not because Boise's athletic department is run from a trailer park.

The sad thing is, people at Boise seriously believe they will some day call the PAC their conference. You don't score points with them by treating your students like a cow pie because of your stupid football team.

That aside, there's all sorts of stuff popping up over the WCC's commissioner tweet about looking out for one's best interest. People are linking it to a BYU-to-MWC story. I think it could be about them OR Gonzaga.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 62  Next