NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:06 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302 ... 344  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

FINALLY ! The sillinesss is over with ! The BE mess had to be disassembled before it could move forward.
I think we're there !

Next order of business - make ECU the 10th "all-sports" member.

Then - have Navy make known their intentions, and decide whether to go to:
12 all-sports members
12 + 2 football only, OR
10 + 2 football only.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Brett McMurphy article discussing BE FB membership for 2013-2014 at http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... 13-sources

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Muskogee Phoenix (recalls the Buck Owens tune "Okie From Muskogee") reporting that
negotiations between University of Tulsa and the Big East are heating up.

http://muskogeephoenix.com/sports/x1303 ... ast-invite

Following departures (or declined invitations) by Boise St. and SDSU, the Big East has:
9 full members
ECU (football only)
Navy (football only) - possibly hedging....

If Navy pulls out, Big East will likely invite ECU's other sports and 2 other all-sports members (Tulsa + ?) for a tidy 12.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tute79,thanks for the piost.
Here is link to Tulsa World article referenced in above Muskogee paper piece at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/T ... teri880016

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Mark Blaudschun blog article discussing BE realignment situation at http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4811

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tulsa World article with more on BE/Tulsa membership situation at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/T ... TLIN401120

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

They forgot ECU on their map.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Tulsa World column discussing TU/BE situation at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/a ... IVER237205

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Mark Blaudschun blog article(previously posted in another thread)reporting that BE is close to finalizing one year BB TV deal for 2013-2014.Link at http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4881

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

We are fast approaching page 300 for the BE thread !

I was wondering what is holding up the Tulsa invitation and ECU's invitation for other sports....

My conclusion - Areasco is waiting to determine the departure dates for the C7 / Notre Dame / Louisville / Rutgers.
Apparently there are issues if the BB conf. size exceeds 16, so that is why ECU has only receeived a FB invitation so far.
Once the C7 are gone (likely July 1, 2014), ECU can come in for all sports, I would suspect.

I think Tulsa will also come aboard in 2014.

Maybe soon the C7 will hire a Commisioner, negotiate their departure date, buy the BE name, grab the MSG tournament contract,
and come to a financial settlement on separation from the FB schools.

Then they can figure out what 5 teams to invite.

Then the FB schools can move on with their lives (and pick a new conference name).
The A-10 can re-stock, and the whole basketball conference realignment cascade can take place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:35 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

It would certainly be refreshing for the fans if the Big East football faction and the Catholic 7 would hurry up and start making some concrete decisions about how their split up will proceed. Conference's like C-USA, Sunbelt, Atlantic Ten, CAA, etc. would certainly appreciate some clarity as to what the future landscape is going to look like. It would also save some schools exit fees if they can announce before July 1, 2013 that they intend to go elsewhere for the 2014-2015 academic year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18 am 
Junior
Junior

OK, the BE adds Tulsa to replace Boise St., but who will be the add to replace San Diego St.? Rice? Any thoughts or ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

NorwichCat11 wrote:
OK, the BE adds Tulsa to replace Boise St., but who will be the add to replace San Diego St.? Rice? Any thoughts or ideas?

Probably no one. If the BE can keep Navy then Tulsa gives them 12 for football. Granted Navy has plenty of time to change their minds. UMass, which in my opinion is a bad add because they are so unproven, might get the nod if the Midshipmen bail.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
NorwichCat11 wrote:

Probably no one. If the BE can keep Navy then Tulsa gives them 12 for football. Granted Navy has plenty of time to change their minds. UMass, which in my opinion is a bad add because they are so unproven, might get the nod if the Midshipmen bail.

Obviously if Navy bails another all sports school will be added to give them 12 all sports members. They may still add another all sports member (like Rice or SoMiss) in the SW to go with Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane and Memphis so Cincy can stay with the Eastern schools in bball and the Florida school won't get split up, and another fb only in the East (like UMass or Army). This way if UConn and Cincy get ACC invites the New Big East will have a solid base and can choose to expand or stand pat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:07 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

fighting muskie wrote:
NorwichCat11 wrote:

Some thoughts:
1) There has been no indication that Navy intends to bail. I feel far more confident that they will be in the Big East in 2015 than some of the other schools. Navy operates with different objectives. They have seemed deliberate, decisive, patient, and dependable - in other words, entirely honorable - and I would expect nothing less.
2) I think it is the Big East that has "plenty of time" to act. There is no reason to add the 12th football school before 2015, so they don't need to make their decision for at least another year.
3) I agree that UMass would be a "bad add" at this time because their football program is unproven at the FBS level. They need time to achieve some FBS success, though everything else about UMass would make them a great addition to the Big East.
4) Adding Tulsa would be an even bigger mistake. Although Tulsa is very good across the board in academics and athletics, they have a tiny enrollment (about 4,000), which means a tiny alumni/fan base, in a modest-sized market. They have little media value, and little upside potential. Tulsa should be commended for maximizing their opportunity, but unless they can magically become like Notre Dame in the very near future, they are all they will ever be.
5) Big East expansion is being done with an eye on media value - just look at the markets they are in. We also know that football drives media value. So any Big East additions should have large media markets and good football.
6) Northern Illinois is by far the best available school for the Big East to add. Clearly, their football program is as good as any in the future Big East. Also, they have a large enrollment (about 25,000) and a large alumni base in a huge market (about 185,000 alumni in the Chicago area). I realize that Tulsa has the support of their former C-USA conference mates, and I also realize that the basketball schools might object because of NIU's crappy basketball program; however, I feel confident that if Aresco can show the existing Big East schools the difference in the value of the media contracts with NIU vs. Tulsa, then NIU will be the choice. NIU has enormous upside potential (and the basketball program can be fixed).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302 ... 344  Next