NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:50 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:47 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

With the speculation that someday their will be only 4 mega conferences consisting of the SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12, and the best elements of the ACC and Big 12 I wonder if we should revive the old idea of a Magnolia Conference. I want to say it was the 1950's when there was an attempt to create an athletic conference of all of the south's elite academic institutions, most of whom were private. With the small private schools now being largely marginalized in effort to create conferences built for television with large markets and large alumni bases it is very likely that many of these same private schools will be left on the outside looking in and that they might want to band together and thumb their nose at the system by creating a league based on academic profile. Your membership could look something like this:

Duke
Wake Forest
Tulane
Rice
Baylor
Southern Methodist
Texas Christian
Tulsa

If Vanderbilt ever decided to sever ties with the SEC they would be welcome to join as would any southern state school with AAU membership that was left out of the power conferences (Georgia Tech?). Boston College could even be considered if they were left out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:48 am 
Freshman
Freshman

using my b10 homerism and since i grew up in syracuse and go to school at colorado, my dream conference is for those 2 schools plus the b10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:19 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I posted on this in the SEC forum but I"ll post it here too.

I'd like to see the SEC get inventive with expansion. I'd like to see them kill off both the Big 12 and ACC in one foul swoop by adding Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Virginia Tech, NC St, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida St, and Miami and then divide into 2 conferences the Southeastern Conference and the Southwestern Conference:

SEC Tradition Division: Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Vanderbilt
SEC Pride Division: VA Tech, NC State, Clemson, GA Tech, Florida St, Miami

SWC East Division: Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Arkansas
SWC West Division: Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Further explanation and my reasoning can be found on my blog:
http://conferencecraziness.blogspot.com/2013/02/an-sec-super-conference.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:58 am 
Junior
Junior

Okay, here is my 'dream conference'!
South West Conference -
Utah St., Boise St., Air Force, BYU, Nevada, San Diego St., Portland St., Montana - WEST DIV
U. Texas E.P., U Texas S.A., Texas State, U. North Texas, Tulsa, Louisiana Tech, Arkansas St., Houston - SOUTH DIV

This combines a crazy mix of mid, and lower tier schools for a fun, exciting 16 team conference.
The South division would cover Texas (5), Arkansas (1), Oklahoma (1), and Louisiana (1).
The West division would cover Utah (2), Idaho (1), Colorado (1), California (1), Oregon (1), and Montana (1).
I think this conference would be competitive and spunky!
Any comments or complaints! Both are welcome, just don't be too harsh! HAHAHA!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

How about this dream conference, filled with only schools from Missouri (the regional state universities and those within the University of Missouri system, except Mizzou)?

Missouri State (formerly Southwest Missouri State)
Southeast Missouri State
Central Missouri State
Northwest Missouri State
Truman State (formerly Northeast Missouri State)
Missouri Western State
Missouri Southern State
Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL)
Missouri S&T (formerly Missouri-Rolla)
Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC)

Interesting, huh?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

Last edited by ncaanopaawaa2000 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Rolla is now Missouri S & T (Science & Technology)

S & M !!!! I think that was my best laugh all day ! Thanks !!!
Actually some Rolla grads would probably say you've got it right (lot's of complaints about the harsh male : female ratio there...)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Rolla is now Missouri S & T (Science & Technology)

S & M !!!! I think that was my best laugh all day ! Thanks !!!
Actually some Rolla grads would probably say you've got it right (lot's of complaints about the harsh male : female ratio there...)

I know. I just messed up a bit. :P lol So I re-edited that mini-error. Anyways, what are your thoughts for this all-Mizzou school dream conference?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

It is a dream conference. However, actually, the D-2 Missouri schools are all concentrated in 2 conferences - 7 in the MIAA and 7 in the GLVC.

Those conferences include all but:

Mizzou - SEC
Missouri State - MVC
SEMo ("Cape" Girardeau) - OVC
SLU - A-10 (maybe Big East in 2014)
UMKC - moving from Summit to WAC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
It is a dream conference. However, actually, the D-2 Missouri schools are all concentrated in 2 conferences - 7 in the MIAA and 7 in the GLVC.

Those conferences include all but:

Mizzou - SEC
Missouri State - MVC
SEMo ("Cape" Girardeau) - OVC
SLU - A-10 (maybe Big East in 2014)
UMKC - moving from Summit to WAC

I know. But it was worth a try to idealize. And like I said, EXCEPT Mizzou, meaning that I exclude that one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:11 pm 
Senior
Senior

Here's one I think would be interesting. The Dakotas get turned down by the MVC and are in a crumbling Summit. So they form and alliance with not just the Big Sky but also the WAC.

Big Sky (6/7) (North)
Montana, Montana St, Idaho St, Idaho, E Wash, Portland St, Seattle

Summit (6/9) (East)
UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, N Colorado, N. Iowa, Drake, Denver, UN-O

WAC (6/7) (South)
Weber State, Southern Utah, N Arizona, Sac St, Cal Poly*, UC Davis*, Utah Valley, CSU-B, Grand Canyon

So if I've counted right that leaves out:
IPFW, IUPUI, Oakland, NMSU (those 4 will probably have new conference homes soon), UTPA (hopefully Southland), Chicago St and UM-KC. The last two probably don't have many options or chances to get into a conference. I really don't want to include them so since it's a dream scenario I won't.

Compared to the status quo not too many advantages, 3 conferences, 3 AQs in basketball. The football side gets enough at large bids to where another AQ doesn't help. But this does give the Dakotas a stable home and it balances out the BBall powers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
So if I've counted right that leaves out:
IPFW, IUPUI, Oakland, NMSU (those 4 will probably have new conference homes soon), UTPA (hopefully Southland), Chicago St and UM-KC. The last two probably don't have many options or chances to get into a conference. I really don't want to include them so since it's a dream scenario I won't.

Compared to the status quo not too many advantages, 3 conferences, 3 AQs in basketball. The football side gets enough at large bids to where another AQ doesn't help. But this does give the Dakotas a stable home and it balances out the BBall powers.

Let's just say that it might occur, but putting IPFW, IUPUI and Oakland to the Horizon, along with Chicago St. and UMKC; while NMSU should join the Mountain West or Sun Belt for all sports, or re-join the Big West for all of its non-football sports while being an FBS Independent. UTPA could be a great candidate to join the Southland, or possibly re-joining the Sun Belt to pair up with UT-Arlington as its non-football members.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:05 pm 
Senior
Senior

Dream Conferences - using current alignment, breaking some "rules," and hitting the trends of super-conferences

PAC-18
Northwest Division: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, California
Southwest Division: USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Colorado
Central Division: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Kansas St, Iowa St, Colorado St

*I know I'll probably get some heat for Iowa St and Colorado St
*Only adds 2 more AAU schools in Texas and Iowa St

BIG "TEN"
Great Plains Division: Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Kansas
Midwest Division: Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St
Eastern Division: Maryland, North Carolina, Rutgers, Ohio St, Penn St, Virginia

*Adds 4 more AAU schools in Missouri, Kansas, North Carolina, and Virginia
*I hate splitting Mich and tOSU, but see scheduling section after conferences

SEC
Southwest Division: Arkansas, LSU, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
South Division: Ole Miss, Mississippi St, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky
Atlantic Division: Virginia Tech, North Carolina St, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Miami FL

*I understand U of Florida blocks all other schools from their state, but I feel in order for this to work, Florida must allow at least 1 in and Miami FL brings a strong history and is on the opposite side of the state from U of Florida
*Putting Vandy in the Southwest Division was the only option I saw unless you split up the Mississippi schools which I felt would not happen

ACC
North Division: Boston College, Connecticut, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Temple, West Virginia
South Division: Louisville, Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Clemson, Florida St, Memphis, South Florida

*This conference is a little bit of a mess, but is solid in basketball and would fare decently in football
*Obviously this means ND would give up independence

Mountain West
Pacific Division: Hawaii, Fresno St, San Jose St, San Diego St, Nevada, UNLV
Mountain Division: Idaho, Boise St, Utah St, BYU, Air Force, Wyoming
West Division: UTEP, SMU, Houston, Baylor, New Mexico, Tulsa

*Using Mountain and West as division names seems corny, but it works-ish
*Baylor was "dropped" to a "lower" conference, but I feel they fit in better football and basketball-wise

MAC
Southwest Division: Ball St, Marshall, Miami OH, Middle Tennessee St, Northern Illinois, Western Kentucky
Midwest Division: Bowling Green St, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Toledo, Ohio
Northeast Division: Buffalo, Army, Navy, Massachusetts, Akron, Kent St

*Army and Navy must drop independence, but I feel they would fare well in the MAC
*Southwest Division is a little more spread out than I would like

"Unnamed Regional Conference A"
Arkansas St, UL Lafayette, UL Monroe, Louisiana Tech, Tulane, North Texas, Rice, UTSA, Texas St, New Mexico St

"Unnamed Regional Conference B"
Southern Miss, UAB, Troy, South Alabama, Georgia St, FIU, FAU, UCF, Old Dominion, Charlotte, East Carolina

*I struggled with creating "Regional Unnamed Conferences," because not all the teams are sub-par
*I didn't know if these conferences should be 1 "mega-conference" or 2 "regional conferences" or 1 stronger/1 weaker conference, but I went with regional

Scheduling
Conferences with 3 divisions of 6:
Play every team in your division, plus 2 teams from each of the other 2 divisions in your conference (9 games)
Split rivalries (ex. Michigan and Ohio St) may either choose to add a 10th conference game and play each other or the league may protect that rivalry as 1 of the 2 cross-division games (ex. Michigan plays Ohio St every year plus 1 other team from Ohio St's division)
Conferences with 2 divisions of 8:
Play every team in your division, plus 2 teams from the other division in your conference (9 games)
Conferences with 10 teams:
Play every team in your conference (9 games)
Conferences with 11 teams:
Play 9 of the other 10 teams in your conference (9 games)

All teams play 3 nonconference games (FBS only) unless protected rivalry game is counted as "nonconference" (see Michigan/Ohio St example)

Conference Championships (only for conferences with divisions)
Conferences with 2 divisions of 8:
Winner from each division
Conferences with 3 divisions of 6:
Winner of the division with best total record against non-division conference opponents + next best division winner
^reasoning: rewards the toughest division within a conference

Thoughts, criticisms, changes are all welcome! I had a lot of fun making this and I love this website

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:33 pm 
Senior
Senior

Just wanted to throw out my idea for 18 scheduling. Every school will be be given a rival school. For football, you will play 8 schools one year and the other 8 the next year. Both years you play your rival (9 conference games). Highest two in the BCS standings play in the conference championship game (seems to be the best thing for the conference if you're trying to reach the 4 school playoff or, if you're a non Big 5 conference, good to try to make a BCS game). So in 4 seasons you will play at and host every school except your rival which you played at and hosted twice. In basketball, you play all 17 schools one time except your rival who you play home and away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:52 am 
Junior
Junior

BePcr07 wrote:

There is a problem with this. In conference scheduling you must have an even number of results. A winner and a loser for each game. Having 11 teams play 9 games each causes 99 results. Someone will have to play a conference rival, count it as conference for them and non-conference for their opponent in order for this to work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:35 am 
Senior
Senior

hickory_cornhusker wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:

There is a problem with this. In conference scheduling you must have an even number of results. A winner and a loser for each game. Having 11 teams play 9 games each causes 99 results. Someone will have to play a conference rival, count it as conference for them and non-conference for their opponent in order for this to work.

I didn't think about that. How did the BIG TEN do it when they only had 11?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next