NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Big West realignment
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Damn SJ, you're up there, you should know that BW has all the UCD sports and the Sky only has a few of them. It won't happen. longest BW trip minus Hawaii is around 7 hrs, In the sky all but Sac St. are a lot further.

Yeah I know it's increased travel but with divisions it could be do-able. In a divisional split you'd have UCD, Sac St, E Wash, Port St, N. Arizona, Idaho, and Idaho St.

If you combine trips to E Wash and Idaho that makes that a little easier. Plus they gain Sac St which you and I know is a big rival of theirs while dropping the Hawaii trips (though those are subsidized). It is a bit of a step down in prestige I guess.

Anyway just throwing it out there. I was surprised that I hadn't noticed the Big West is almost completely a So Cal conference.

I get you but UCD has lots of CA, BW sports that the Sky doesn't offer like Surfing, Hackysack, tanning, H2O Polo, yachting, etc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Damn SJ, you're up there, you should know that BW has all the UCD sports and the Sky only has a few of them. It won't happen. longest BW trip minus Hawaii is around 7 hrs, In the sky all but Sac St. are a lot further.

Yeah I know it's increased travel but with divisions it could be do-able. In a divisional split you'd have UCD, Sac St, E Wash, Port St, N. Arizona, Idaho, and Idaho St.

If you combine trips to E Wash and Idaho that makes that a little easier. Plus they gain Sac St which you and I know is a big rival of theirs while dropping the Hawaii trips (though those are subsidized). It is a bit of a step down in prestige I guess.

Anyway just throwing it out there. I was surprised that I hadn't noticed the Big West is almost completely a So Cal conference.

I get you but UCD has lots of CA, BW sports that the Sky doesn't offer like Surfing, Hackysack, tanning, H2O Polo, yachting, etc

Ahahaha, fair point sir!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:39 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

With Pacific gone, it's probably going to be Davis and Hawaii as travel partners. Makes sense to make ONE plane trip for the SoCal schools. Fly to Sacramento, fly to Honolulu, fly to LA (Or Honolulu, Sac, LA).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

A year (or season) has passed by since charter member Pacific has returned back to the West Coast Conference (WCC), when it comes to conference realignment. But with 9 schools in the conference's membership, I was wondering if the Big West will ever have plans on re-stabilizing itself with expansion, either to make it an all-California-based conference + Hawaii or go back as a regional conference (having schools in Nevada or Idaho or New Mexico or Utah or even Texas, as it historically once had happened). If the conference does plan to expand, then it shall focus from D-II conferences such as the CCAA, the GNAC, and possibly either the PacWest and/or the RMAC. For instance, shouldn't Cal State-Bakersfield be on the discussion of becoming a member of the Big West (despite that the Roadrunners are currently in the WAC as full members)? If not CSUB, then how about UC-San Diego or San Francisco St. or Cal St.-Monterey Bay or former PCAA member Cal State-Los Angeles (all from the CCAA); or Dixie State or Dominican (Cal.) or Notre Dame de Namur (all from the PacWest); or Western Washington or Western Oregon or the Alaska schools (all from the GNAC)? Any thoughts or ideas?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:29 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
A year (or season) has passed by since charter member Pacific has returned back to the West Coast Conference (WCC), when it comes to conference realignment. But with 9 schools in the conference's membership, I was wondering if the Big West will ever have plans on re-stabilizing itself with expansion, either to make it an all-California-based conference + Hawaii or go back as a regional conference (having schools in Nevada or Idaho or New Mexico or Utah or even Texas, as it historically once had happened). If the conference does plan to expand, then it shall focus from D-II conferences such as the CCAA, the GNAC, and possibly either the PacWest and/or the RMAC. For instance, shouldn't Cal State-Bakersfield be on the discussion of becoming a member of the Big West (despite that the Roadrunners are currently in the WAC as full members)? If not CSUB, then how about UC-San Diego or San Francisco St. or Cal St.-Monterey Bay or former PCAA member Cal State-Los Angeles (all from the CCAA); or Dixie State or Dominican (Cal.) or Notre Dame de Namur (all from the PacWest); or Western Washington or Western Oregon or the Alaska schools (all from the GNAC)? Any thoughts or ideas?

Well, first off, the Big West is totally stable. Hawai'i may have some options, but where are a bunch Cal State _______ and UC ________ that don't have the budgets to add football going to go?

The Big West keeps travel expenses lower than the Big Sky or WAC; and the Big Sky and WAC couldn't offer any more revenue. Adding teams outside California won't increase revenue at all, it would just increase travel costs.

Bakersfield and UCSD would be considered by the Big West (and where before Pacific left but when UCSD's upgrade vote was shot down, Bakersfield was left without an invite). I wouldn't expect the BWC to expand unless Hawai'i leaves. Because the BWC wants to maintain an equal number of UC/CS schools for harmony reasons. If they added CSUB and UCSD, that's 11 teams; and there's really no one to add who's not a UC/CS school.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

Well, first off, the Big West is totally stable. Hawai'i may have some options, but where are a bunch Cal State _______ and UC ________ that don't have the budgets to add football going to go?

The Big West keeps travel expenses lower than the Big Sky or WAC; and the Big Sky and WAC couldn't offer any more revenue. Adding teams outside California won't increase revenue at all, it would just increase travel costs.

Bakersfield and UCSD would be considered by the Big West (and where before Pacific left but when UCSD's upgrade vote was shot down, Bakersfield was left without an invite). I wouldn't expect the BWC to expand unless Hawai'i leaves. Because the BWC wants to maintain an equal number of UC/CS schools for harmony reasons. If they added CSUB and UCSD, that's 11 teams; and there's really no one to add who's not a UC/CS school.

You have your points JP. But lemme clarify to each one a bit:

ONLY the Big West would be stable IF Hawaii leaves the Big West and join the Mountain West for all sports (joining football). Sadly, the Big West no longer sponsors football after the 2000-01 season because most of the current members (UCSB, Long Beach St. & CSUF after 1991-92, CSUN after leaving the Big Sky in 2000-01) had dropped that sport in the early 90's (including former longtime member Pacific after 1995-96)

You're right. It would be best for the Big West to be a one-state regional conference. But it need more schools that are either Cal State-________ or UC-________ and Hawaii must NOT be in the conference. Ironically, the Rainbow Warriors are in the Big West because they had no choice to find a home for Olympic sports after leaving the WAC.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:30 am 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

ONLY the Big West would be stable IF Hawaii leaves the Big West and join the Mountain West for all sports (joining football).

You're right. It would be best for the Big West to be a one-state regional conference. But it need more schools that are either Cal State-________ or UC-________ and Hawaii must NOT be in the conference. Ironically, the Rainbow Warriors are in the Big West because they had no choice to find a home for Olympic sports after leaving the WAC.

How does a conference become 'more stable' by losing a school? Losing schools is usually a sign of weakness.

If Hawaii and/or the MWC wanted to be together for Oly sports....they would be. One or both....couldn't make things work out...so, this is where they are at. Saying, they must NOT be there(BWC)...is to ignore reality.
They are there.
And why shouldn't they be there? If that's where Hawaii feels they can make things work best....or, this is where their road has taken them....so be it.

Who is making these rules where a school 'must not' do something?
I mean...where is Hawaii a perfect fit? There are no conferences in the middle of the Pacific.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:14 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

You have your points JP. But lemme clarify to each one a bit:

ONLY the Big West would be stable IF Hawaii leaves the Big West and join the Mountain West for all sports ...

One school that might leave doesn't make a conference "unstable." A conference is stable if they have no real concern of NEEDING to go out and add new members in order to protect their place in the national landscape.

The BWC can't be unstable WITH Hawaii and STABLE without Hawaii. They're stable either way. When Hawai'i HAS to join a FBS conference for all sports, they will. The BWC and MWC both know it. And the BWC is totally stable because they have EIGHT members with NO WHERE ELSE TO GO.

Poly and Davis can't afford to upgrade their football programs to FBS. They have a FCS home in the Big Sky;
The Big Sky has 12 full members and the markets of Davis (covered by Sac State) and San Luis Obispo (#167) are not factors.
Adding UCD & CP / Joining the Big Sky only adds travel expenses to all 14 schools; and doesn't increase revenue at all.

The other six have even less options.

You seem like a really bright guy, but in reading your posts in threads I think you're taking a "looking down" or "outsider" approach to conference realignment. Looking down at all the schools/conferences on a map, it's really easy to shuffle schools around and re-draw affiliations for symmetry, rivalries, geography, etc. (with probably awesome results).

Looking down, CSU Bakersfield and Sacramento State "belong" in the Big West more than they "belong" in the Big Sky or WAC.

You have to look at these situations from street-level or within each school and conference. Each party is going to make decisions based on their own self-interest. Geography and symmetry always lose to revenue added and expenses saved. Bakersfield doesn't give the Big West anything, hence no invite. They MIGHT if they came with UC San Diego, but that's on hold. I'm sure the BWC would love to add Sac State and UC San Diego for 12, but Sac State isn't interested.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16