NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:04 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311 ... 345  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If it was a straight-up divorce free of external inteference, the remaining BE schools should have the legal pluses on their side in terms of the settlement. You are right, TV played a role in this which has benefited the C-7. Even before the C-7 announced they were leaving the others, I expect the C-7 had certain discussions and assurances from TV executives and MSG. They C-7 would not have declared they were leaving without those discussions beforehand and having powerful backup to declare certain demands.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Mconner1201 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I am so bothered by the thought of the A10 getting gutted so that these a-holes get a new lease on life. All throughout the Butler and VCU game, the one guy was talking about what was said to be happening with the new league. It made me want to curl into a ball and cry...you mean to tell me that these seven irrelevant schools can walk away from the conference, pretty much without any financial consequence, get the name AND pretty much take their MSG contract with them while gutting their primary competition, which has this nifty new deal in Brooklyn?

This has the networks' work written all over it.

Who is your team?

Why is that even relevant (your team)? Realignment sucks. The A10 is a pretty good conference this year, it's a shame this is happening. Oh well, such is the way college sports go these days. Television is completely ruining the game - costs to go to a game continue to rise and rise making it impossible for even college athletics to be something you can bring the whole family to.

I wasn't asking you, go troll somewhere else THIS IS A REALIGNMENT BOARD IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT, LEAVE! You must be from the csn board hiding under a different name here?

Last edited by Fresno St. Alum on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I am so bothered by the thought of the A10 getting gutted so that these a-holes get a new lease on life. All throughout the Butler and VCU game, the one guy was talking about what was said to be happening with the new league. It made me want to curl into a ball and cry...you mean to tell me that these seven irrelevant schools can walk away from the conference, pretty much without any financial consequence, get the name AND pretty much take their MSG contract with them while gutting their primary competition, which has this nifty new deal in Brooklyn?

This has the networks' work written all over it.

Who is your team?

In basketball, it's any of the PA ones, though I usually follow St. Joe's and Temple. The A10 is just what I know the most, though. It's always been this great league of mismatched programs that still field great basketball. It didn't hurt that PSU was a part of it (and won the A10 tourney when I was at an impressionable age, going even further by beating UCLA in that year's tournament), back when PSU actually played other good PA teams.

I remember that PSU team, lost to EMU who also had an upset in their first round game. Even St.Francis(PA) made their 1 and only tourney that year. La Salle was pretty good back then too. I was 13 during the 1991 tourney.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
If it was a straight-up divorce free of external inteference, the remaining BE schools should have the legal pluses on their side in terms of the settlement. You are right, TV played a role in this which has benefited the C-7. Even before the C-7 announced they were leaving the others, I expect the C-7 had certain discussions and assurances from TV executives and MSG. They C-7 would not have declared they were leaving without those discussions beforehand and having powerful backup to declare certain demands.

I'm almost certain it's a work; almost as certain the networks are extorting the remnant conference. Hearing that the $10m for next year is dependent on whether the C7 are in the conference? Come on...

The only thing left in this screw job is seeing the football schools getting sued by the others en-masse under some fabrication of "unpaid revenue."

The Catholics are just going to get everything they want...

...maybe now even including Notre Dame?

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I remember that PSU team, lost to EMU who also had an upset in their first round game. Even St.Francis(PA) made their 1 and only tourney that year. La Salle was pretty good back then too. I was 13 during the 1991 tourney.

Bruce Parkhill was the best coach that program ever had. I know other PSU teams made it deeper in the tournament, but he was able to get to the tournament in the A10 AND Big Ten...he's missed.

'91 was a crazy year. The Richmond upset over Syracuse, the only Sweet Sixteen with a 10, 11, and 12 seed...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
sec03 wrote:

I'm almost certain it's a work; almost as certain the networks are extorting the remnant conference. Hearing that the $10m for next year is dependent on whether the C7 are in the conference? Come on...

The only thing left in this screw job is seeing the football schools getting sued by the others en-masse under some fabrication of "unpaid revenue."

The Catholics are just going to get everything they want...

...maybe now even including Notre Dame?

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Bruce Parkhill was the best coach that program ever had. I know other PSU teams made it deeper in the tournament, but he was able to get to the tournament in the A10 AND Big Ten...he's missed.

'91 was a crazy year. The Richmond upset over Syracuse, the only Sweet Sixteen with a 10, 11, and 12 seed...

I have the newspaper cut outs of all the correctly filled brackets from 1991-now on a wall in my room, I'm amazed my wife doesn't mind(that much)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Mark Blaudschun blog article discussing ongoing BE divorce settlement fight over $100 million pot at http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5423

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I have the newspaper cut outs of all the correctly filled brackets from 1991-now on a wall in my room, I'm amazed my wife doesn't mind(that much)

I still do cut out the first bracket I find in the paper and fill one out for fun. I'm pretty sure if I ever put serious money on it, I'd have never gotten to my mid-20's. Something about picking the ridiculous upsets...

Where it concerns what's to become of these Big East basketball programs, I think the C7 becomes a 2-3 bid league and that's it. I don't see good things happening to Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette without the Syracuse's, Pitt's, Louisville's, and UConn's lurking throughout the schedule.

I'd be mourning the basketball of the Big East were it not for the ACC becoming so much better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:56 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

I still do cut out the first bracket I find in the paper and fill one out for fun. I'm pretty sure if I ever put serious money on it, I'd have never gotten to my mid-20's. Something about picking the ridiculous upsets...

Where it concerns what's to become of these Big East basketball programs, I think the C7 becomes a 2-3 bid league and that's it. I don't see good things happening to Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette without the Syracuse's, Pitt's, Louisville's, and UConn's lurking throughout the schedule.

I'd be mourning the basketball of the Big East were it not for the ACC becoming so much better.

Your probably right. To start with they will be beating up on each other in conference with double round robin play, and the conference will only have 3 bottom feeders in Seton Hall, Providence and DePaul. There will be 1 to 3 teams with winning records, a bunch in the middle with 50/50 records, and the 3 bottom feeders with loosing records.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Mark Blaudschun with USAToday article reporting that BE divorce settlement agreement announcement expected later this week at http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... ns/1963671

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

It appears that news just broke of a settlement -

the Catholic 7 will take the "Big East" name, the MSG tourney, and $10,000,000.

leaving roughly $100,000,000 in fees & units for UConn, USF, and Cincy and whomever they choose of Temple, UCF, SMU, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, ECU, Navy ?, Tulsa ?

If this is truly a done deal, I would expect announcements on new conf. NAME + expansion (ECU for ALL sports + Tulsa).
Also Big east (formerly C7) conf. commissoner + expansion teams and what yar they will join.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/0 ... keep-name/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Now that it's official, the former Catholic-7 group that's keeping the Big East name will mean that the "Big East" will "drop football" as a sport after being apart from the football-sponsoring all-sports full members of the "former Big East".

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Technically (from the NCAA's point of view) and legally, the Big East (the C7 + friends) will be a NEW CONFERENCE.
They will be immediately eligible for automatic bids, etc., as they meet all criteria for "whatever" (7 teams that have been together since 2004).

The [conference in search of a name] with UConn, USF, Cincy and friends is the legal continuation of the Big East.
I think the NCAA has probably told them they will be able to continue wiht all automaic bids - they are bringing in perhaps 7 CUSA schools that have been together since 2004 -
UCF, Houston, SMU, Memphis, Tulate, and I suspect ECU and Tulsa (both for all sports), so they should meet continuity criteria.
Even though the Big East name went to the C7, the exit fees and NCAA units for departing schools (up through the departure date) will be coming to the {conf, in need of a name].

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Technically (from the NCAA's point of view) and legally, the Big East (the C7 + friends) will be a NEW CONFERENCE.
They will be immediately eligible for automatic bids, etc., as they meet all criteria for "whatever" (7 teams that have been together since 2004).

The [conference in search of a name] with UConn, USF, Cincy and friends is the legal continuation of the Big East.
I think the NCAA has probably told them they will be able to continue wiht all automaic bids - they are bringing in perhaps 7 CUSA schools that have been together since 2004 -
UCF, Houston, SMU, Memphis, Tulate, and I suspect ECU and Tulsa (both for all sports), so they should meet continuity criteria.
Even though the Big East name went to the C7, the exit fees and NCAA units for departing schools (up through the departure date) will be coming to the {conf, in need of a name].

May sound fair enough, for now. But eventually, the "Catholic-7" group, one way or the other, would eventually must search a new, different and unique name to reflect its mission, vision and purpose as a conference of mostly Catholic schools because it won't keep the Big East name forever after what has happened. Like these samples: "Great Catholic" or "Catholic East" or "American Catholic", depending on the now-soon-to-be departing former Big East non-football all-sports full membership-like schools (DePaul, Marquette, Providence, etc.)

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NO !!! The Catholic 7 just paid milliions for the name "Big East".

It means a lot to them.
Providence, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Villanova, Georgetown (at least 4 of those 5) were charter members of the Big East.
the 5th team came in only a year or two later.
DePaul and Marquette in 2004.

It's a PROUD basketball name ! No other conference has had 3 of the Final Four in one year (1985 ?).
No other conference has had 11 schools in the 65-team bracket (two ? years ago).
They wanted the name "Big East" !!!! That and the MSG tournament. That's why they agreed on a settlement that leaves $100 million behind iwht the FB schools.

Butler is NOT catholic. VCU isn't. Pretty sure Richmond is not. So the Catholic religious naming idea is problematic if they are considering inviting one or more of those schools...

The football conference is not East at all anymore (east of the Pecos, I suppose !) It's "the former CUSA Conference" - THOSE GUYS could use a new name and an image make-over.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
NO !!! The Catholic 7 just paid milliions for the name "Big East".

It means a lot to them.
Providence, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Villanova, Georgetown (at least 4 of those 5) were charter members of the Big East.
the 5th team came in only a year or two later.
DePaul and Marquette in 2004.

It's a PROUD basketball name ! No other conference has had 3 of the Final Four in one year (1985 ?).
No other conference has had 11 schools in the 65-team bracket (two ? years ago).
They wanted the name "Big East" !!!! That and the MSG tournament. That's why they agreed on a settlement that leaves $100 million behind iwht the FB schools.

Butler is NOT catholic. VCU isn't. Pretty sure Richmond is not. So the Catholic religious naming idea is problematic if they are considering inviting one or more of those schools...

The football conference is not East at all anymore (east of the Pecos, I suppose !) It's "the former CUSA Conference" - THOSE GUYS could use a new name and an image make-over.

If that's the way it's going to be, then so be it. Hopefully they (the Big East effectively as of 2013-14) would find a way of explaining how they would drop football to be a non-football basketball-specific all-sports-sponsoring conference while the former Big East with the football schools (UConn, South Florida, Cincinnati and company) would begin their new chapter as an all-sports conference, but with football to sponsor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311 ... 345  Next