NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:41 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 71  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Navy sponsors sports fairly consistent with ACC sponsored sports. For men's sports, Navy does not sponsor baseball. In women's sports, Navy does not sponsor field hockey and softball. Navy does have some more unique sports such as rowing (H & L), rifle, sailing, men's gymnastics.

It's difficult to say how Navy would do across the board in a variety of ACC competition. Men's and women's basketball would be really tough for them in the ACC per all-sports.

In fb, some years they could hang in there running the option as long as they don't have to come deep from behind in most games.

The big issue for Navy are their recruiting parameters and the rigors of the academic and other military academy requirements.

It's sort of unrealistic to expect Navy in fb to keep up with the speed, depth, and the highly ranked recruiting classes of a place such as FSU. Navy has had competitive men's basketball in the past, but nothing like the ACC's power programs.

Location, with high quality name recognition and prestige, Navy would be great for the ACC. But, would Navy want to be committed to circumstances whereby they are at a consistent disadvantage in high profile sports? The current Patriot League with fb independence (or the nBE fb-only current plan) may be the more realistic approach.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
Navy sponsors sports fairly consistent with ACC sponsored sports. For men's sports, Navy does not sponsor baseball. In women's sports, Navy does not sponsor field hockey and softball. Navy does have some more unique sports such as rowing (H & L), rifle, sailing, men's gymnastics.

It's difficult to say how Navy would do across the board in a variety of ACC competition. Men's and women's basketball would be really tough for them in the ACC per all-sports.

In fb, some years they could hang in there running the option as long as they don't have to come deep from behind in most games.

The big issue for Navy are their recruiting parameters and the rigors of the academic and other military academy requirements.

It's sort of unrealistic to expect Navy in fb to keep up with the speed, depth, and the highly ranked recruiting classes of a place such as FSU. Navy has had competitive men's basketball in the past, but nothing like the ACC's power programs.

Location, with high quality name recognition and prestige, Navy would be great for the ACC. But, would Navy want to be committed to circumstances whereby they are at a consistent disadvantage in high profile sports? The current Patriot League with fb independence (or the nBE fb-only current plan) may be the more realistic approach.

THIS.
The only reason Navy is a candidate is because NDfb is still independent. If ND joins the ACC in fb tomorrow UConn or Cincy get the call to be #16 not Navy.

Navy fb would allow the ACC to take UConn or Cincy and give them 16 in both fb and bb.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:02 am 
Senior
Senior

Navy is still in consideration because the B10,SEC and B12 are after schools in the ACC.

When this happens the next sourse of replacement schools for the ACC is the America 12 conference.(Uconn,UC,USF,UCF,Navy and Temple)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:51 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
sec03 wrote:

THIS.
The only reason Navy is a candidate is because NDfb is still independent. If ND joins the ACC in fb tomorrow UConn or Cincy get the call to be #16 not Navy.

Navy fb would allow the ACC to take UConn or Cincy and give them 16 in both fb and bb.

The ACC can handle scheduling with ND 5 games. But the scenario would be the reverse. ND could make the inclusion of Navy as a condition for an enhanced fb commitment or the ACC sees it as prerequisite enticement.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Greensboro(previously posted in another thread)discussing how ACC tv revenue is gaining on league ticket sales revenue at http://www.news-record.com/home/873079- ... han-ticket

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN article(previously posted in another thread)reporting that BE/ND exit deal reached that will allow ND to join ACC 7-1-2013.Announcement expected this noon.Link at http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ource-says

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Greensboro with comments from ACC Commish and others regarding future college conference realignment situation at http://www.news-record.com/home/896954-96/story

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 am 
Senior
Senior

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Greensboro with comments from ACC Commish and others regarding future college conference realignment situation at http://www.news-record.com/home/896954-96/story

As noted, by 2014, the ACC shall have more former BE members than the original ACC members. I doubt all the adjustments to come will be thoroughly predictable.

The NCSU President may have extended the best perceptual and hopeful statement in behalf of the ACC, given his level of confidence that the recent and ongoing work for stability may pay off. He did go out on the limb a little bit with this call, implying he may know more on this than the vast majority of anxious fans.

In another part of the article, you hear of potential new vindictiveness, the suggestion that the ACC should punish Maryland by not scheduling them in lacrosse. One thing for sure, resentment and bitterness survives.

Freaked4cfb, good you shared because the ACC wasn't talking much specifically on this for several weeks or so. I suspect the ACC is responding this way, given the B1G has recently been communicating they are focusing on scheduling with '14' for the immediate future.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:29 am 
Senior
Senior

I suggest that the ACC will become the new old BE.

Swofford and the ACC will get raided by the B10,SEC and B12.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I get the vibe that the SEC would be OK with the status quo, for the next few years.
Big XII would love to add some choice ACC teams, but they might not be successful if they try to initiate this raid.
Big Ten (to satisfy Delany's ego) would probably like to tear ito the ACC at some point, but may need to spend some time first assimilating Maryland and Rutgers.

Fairly certain that nothing will happen on this front, until the ACC vs. U of Maryland makes its way through the courts.
If the $50 million exit fee holds up in court, that may serve as quite a deterent.
If I'm on the BOT of a college and sombody came to suggest switching conferences ("oh, by the way, there's a $50 million exit fee"), he/she better have really prepared
a definitive plan for how that money will be re-couped in rather short order.
And if I was on the U of Maryland BOT, and that clown of a President told me he'd agreed to jump to the Big Ten without a thorough discussion with the BOT,
I would immediately seek his resignation and void the Big Ten contract, as it lacked BOT ratification.

I mean, it cost Syracuse and Pitt $7.5 mill to jump from the dying BE to the ACC (and the ACC TV contract will let them rcover that fairly quickly).
I think WVU spent even more to jump ot the Big XII ($10 million ?). That's SERIOUS money even for some top 50 institutions.
$ FIFTY (50) million !!! Holy crap ! Did U of Maryland have some deal where the Big Ten promised to step in and help them if they lose in court ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

The tv money for B10 and SEC is far mor than that is found in the ACC.

GaTech,FSU and Miami are from happy in the ACC

Also the ACC championship game is not set up to be with winners of the top 4 conferences(SEC,B10,B12 and PAC 12)

Look at the ACC wake and duke have 30k stadiums.

BC has hardly been a winner in football in the acc.

Is syracuse a great football program?

Hardly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
I get the vibe that the SEC would be OK with the status quo, for the next few years.

Top officials from Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi State, and Alabama (those I have read about), certainly sound like the status quo is in order. I don't think this conference is seeking to expand anytime soon by their conservative messages on the subject. Slive has pretty tight control on the messaging and one does not see deviation on this. Adjusting to 14 (and that includes issues with ALL SEC sponsored sports) has had its complicated moments, and the SEC is very sensitive to trying to keep all schools integrated as best as possible in playing each other fairly timely. There's some east-west divisional rivalries they don't want to break which go beyond permanent cross-overs.

With launching a SEC-oriented network via ESPN, some thinking may change on this with big money offers and pressures. The SEC has emphasized they shall pay attention to what other major conferences may do, and would act as deem necessary to enhance their own interests.
The SEC has been a big initiator with the super-sizing stuff. But for a variety of reasons, there is no intent to move on the ACC at present.

I even believe the B1G has taken a pause on this, after some loose and speculative talk. Agree tute79, nothing is going to happen until the Maryland lawsuit is settled. I expect it shall be settled for much less than the 52 million or so the ACC demands. But the legal fees shall reach the million dollar levels as well as it may go on and on for awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Baltimore(previously posted in another thread)reporting that Big Ten has apparently promised to reimburse Maryland about $20-30 million in(exit fee money?) travel subsidies.Link at http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terp ... 7978.story

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
I even believe the B1G has taken a pause on this, after some loose and speculative talk. Agree tute79, nothing is going to happen until the Maryland lawsuit is settled. I expect it shall be settled for much less than the 52 million or so the ACC demands. But the legal fees shall reach the million dollar levels as well as it may go on and on for awhile.

It's not just how the lawsuit will result, but what happens thereafter with the relations between B1G members and potential ACC schools. The way UMD is hurting financially, an incoming ACC that has profited from the UMD suit need not apply. Considering the conference will subsidize travel, the cost for an ACC school to join the Big Ten now sits in that pool.

I sort of suspected GT and BC as potential defectors...apparently they will be ND's "perma-rivals" in hoops. That can't be cheap for all...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:16 pm 
Senior
Senior

I doubt BC will enter B10.
It is not an AAU school.

However Pitt is an AAU school.
The question is whether PSU wants them.

I agree that GATECH will join the B10

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 71  Next