NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:25 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 70  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I really don't think that the SEC schools want any more cold venues (Pitt, WV, Va Tech) in the league. MO and KY are cool enough for their likes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:34 pm 
Senior
Senior

The is basically none for its athletic success not its academic success.
The B10 is known for both.

When comes to geography the sec is purely southern.
Although its new addition Missouri and Kentucky boarder the B10.

The B10 is interested in AAU schools such as GaTech,UVA and UNC as well Pitt and in non AAU school ND.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SEC blog article discussing future league realignment arms race at http://www.mrsec.com/2013/02/which-conf ... ion-of-win

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
SEC blog article discussing future league realignment arms race at http://www.mrsec.com/2013/02/which-conf ... ion-of-win

A good blog to post here, Freaked. Enjoy reading these perspectives.

Ironically, I was re-reading last night John's Big Bang Theories entry from 12/19/2012. Phase III segment of 12/27/2012 is titled The countdown to Super-Conferences. The above directly relates to the ongoing theme. Clarity should be noted that this is not an official SEC website of the conference or its member institutions (Tennessee-oriented initially??), though it is evident that sources for certain input may exist at an appreciable level. John articles can be provocative and maybe seen as a bit stereotypic depending on the reader, and perhaps contradictory at times. However, he usually provides good details and often cites information that supports his point of view. What I much like about his posts, is that he dives right in there on a topic of big interest. Also in prior posts, he has not been silent on the topic of the 'network works' and how they have played into all this--not what one would directly hear from ESPN, for example, who can drop forth controversial rumors supporting their own agenda.

As to the B1G, they recently proposed dropping scheduling games with FCS schools (in USAToday 2/15/2013). The matter directly relates to the sought assurance of placement in the forthcoming national championship playoffs. Expansion activity could be an integral part of it. It's another step/attempt in further widening the distance away from the "have-nots", even though this particular move pertains to FCS. It also may suggest that the B1G may increase their number of conference or potential affliliate games. Motives can be multiple and not all stated at once.

Last edited by sec03 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:

While the tone of the site is so pro SEC that I typically have a hard time forcing myself to read, I really enjoyed this post.

Basically I agree with the writer that should the SEC put emphasis on aquiring the last 2 truely Southern states that VPI will be at the top of their list and not UVA, however disagree on them by-passing UNC for NCSU.

UNC is the prize for both the Big Ten and SEC they are up there in the elite of the non Big 3 schools along with Texas ND and possibly FSU and Oklahoma. The SEC will and should pull every string they can to get them to come along and if that includes Duke then so be it. Take VPI, UNC, Duke, and double down in FL on FSU and that would be a great expansion plan.

Then just hold at 18 unless Texas and OU want to come over...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:19 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

While the tone of the site is so pro SEC that I typically have a hard time forcing myself to read, I really enjoyed this post.

Basically I agree with the writer that should the SEC put emphasis on aquiring the last 2 truely Southern states that VPI will be at the top of their list and not UVA, however disagree on them by-passing UNC for NCSU.

UNC is the prize for both the Big Ten and SEC they are up there in the elite of the non Big 3 schools along with Texas ND and possibly FSU and Oklahoma. The SEC will and should pull every string they can to get them to come along and if that includes Duke then so be it. Take VPI, UNC, Duke, and double down in FL on FSU and that would be a great expansion plan.

Then just hold at 18 unless Texas and OU want to come over...

Agree 100% T. Mentioned that exact scenario on Mr SEC comments.

Dream scenario for the SEC is to grab those 4 and stay at 18 until Big 12 GOR expires then go to 20 with either (a) Texas and Oklahoma, (b) Texas and West Virginia, (c) Oklahoma and West Virginia, (d) stay at 18, or (e) West Virginia and Clemson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

sec03 wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

A good blog to post here, Freaked. Enjoy reading these perspectives.

Ironically, I was re-reading last night John's Big Bang Theories entry from 12/19/2012. Phase III segment of 12/27/2012 is titled The countdown to Super-Conferences. The above directly relates to the ongoing theme. Clarity should be noted that this is not an official SEC website of the conference or its member institutions (Tennessee-oriented initially??), though it is evident that sources for certain input may exist at an appreciable level. John articles can be provocative and maybe seen as a bit stereotypic depending on the reader, and perhaps contradictory at times. However, he usually provides good details and often cites information that supports his point of view. What I much like about his posts, is that he dives right in there on a topic of big interest. Also in prior posts, he has not been silent on the topic of the 'network works' and how they have played into all this--not what one would directly hear from ESPN, for example, who can drop forth controversial rumors supporting their own agenda.

As to the B1G, they recently proposed dropping scheduling games with FCS schools (in USAToday 2/15/2013). The matter directly relates to the sought assurance of placement in the forthcoming national championship playoffs. Expansion activity could be an integral part of it. It's another step/attempt in further widening the distance away from the "have-nots", even though this particular move pertains to FCS. It also may suggest that the B1G may increase their number of conference or potential affliliate games. Motives can be multiple and not all stated at once.

Yeah, fun to read certain blogs. An equipment provider with a contract to UVA or wherever engages a few assistant coaches with shop talk. At least it is some sort of source to reference. Frankly, only a select number of high level conference and school officials really know where decisions stand, and it is not clear what specific decisions
are to be made. Leaks can happen, some intentionally for agendas or see the reactions. Most prove to be simply false. For example, posters had FSU and Clemson already packed for the Big12 last year and earlier. Even at the highest levels, decisions can turn on a dime.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:33 pm 
Senior
Senior

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -mid-april

SEC will make announcement in mid-April after the tourney and the anticipated date to begin remains August 2014 after third tier rights end.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. The Pac-12, SEC, and Big 10 will have a network are will make big bucks. The Big 12 and ACC do not as of now. I know the Big 12 has the GoR for 13 years blah blah blah. When the Big 12 was on the verge of collapse they went all out for big TV dollars. Do they have anything left for a network? And is the Longhorn network (and probably soon the Sooner Network) one of the reasons they can't do it? In which case, isn't this a reason no ACC school will be hesitant to go to the Big 12?

I know the ACC has talked about starting a network and being a coastal conference they would probably be in a lot of homes. Are their third tier games locked up like the SEC's right now?

EDIT: Here's the answer if anyone is interested:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... s/ACC.aspx

"The outlier among the big five conferences is the Big 12. Commissioner Bob Bowlsby confirmed last week that the Big 12 will not be launching its own channel since all of the conference’s game inventory is tied up in deals with ESPN and Fox. Most of the 10 schools in the Big 12 have sold their third-tier TV games to Fox as part of separate deals, while Texas partnered with ESPN on the Longhorn Network."

Sounds to me like the SEC is due an increase, but the Big 10, Pac 12, and Big 12 have maxed out. The ACC however...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21877578/slive-sec-network-announcement-coming-in-mid-april

SEC will make announcement in mid-April after the tourney and the anticipated date to begin remains August 2014 after third tier rights end.

SJSUFan2010, something of real substance you posted here and on a topic that shall have a big impact to come.

While the network will be a mutual endeavor with ESPN with shared costs and profits, one advantage with this method is that ESPN is ready-made for marketing, and will not have to lobby and beg cable and satellite companies to carry it. Also, overhead costs, including personnel, may be comparatively less than trying for an independent start-up. There could be somewhat better "live" broadcasts, and "filler" programming in the off-season could be comparatively much better. The down-side, perhaps, is the control issue; but it is a contracted enterprise, and will be focused on the cutting edge to maximize profits for both the conference and the network powers.

Maybe ESPN has learned from the joint LHN endeavor, not to be too narrow with one product in a concentrated region/area.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
While the network will be a mutual endeavor with ESPN with shared costs and profits, one advantage with this method is that ESPN is ready-made for marketing, and will not have to lobby and beg cable and satellite companies to carry it. Also, overhead costs, including personnel, may be comparatively less than trying for an independent start-up. There could be somewhat better "live" broadcasts, and "filler" programming in the off-season could be comparatively much better. The down-side, perhaps, is the control issue; but it is a contracted enterprise, and will be focused on the cutting edge to maximize profits for both the conference and the network powers.

Maybe ESPN has learned from the joint LHN endeavor, not to be too narrow with one product in a concentrated region/area.

Yes I'm a UT alum/fan but hear me out...

So here's the deal, people seem to miss when discussing the LHN and other networks. First ALL networks have had problems getting picked up year 1, BTN, P12N, LHN, and even NFLN, MLBN. The main reason is not lack off content or narrow viewing audience (LHN has some carriers in Denver/NYC/KC/LA/FL) though those are concern, but the main overarching reason is primarily its price/cost.

ESPN was charging an outragious fee for the LHN once it started dropping the price more carriers signed up. That why TWC finally sign on with the NFL network, people have been wanting it for year, but the NFLN finally gave them a good discount which was the main reason for the hold out.

The SEC network will be a good product, but just because people want it doesn't mean it will be immediately avaliable everywhere. ESPN is going to pay the SEC a lot of extra money for it and thus will charge the carriers a lot for it.

In addition, when trying to sell the LHN to carriers, ESPN was also pushing for and trying to package the LHN with its other products like ESPN Classic, ESPNU, ESPNnews, ESPN 3, ESPN 3D, ESPN Plus, ESPN Desportes, Watch ESPN app, and ESPN Game Plan/Full Court.

I'm not saying the LHN doesn't have problems but its not as simple as people didn't want it.

By now the LHN is on all major carriers outside of the Big 3 (TWC/Dish/Direct) who ESPN is refusing to lower their price and is trying to force more of the above products into the discussions as a packaged deal. When the SEC network launches expect many of the same problems to start to arise. And if they do get it on one of the Big 3 carriers you can bet that they'll package (or at least try to package) the LHN in there right along with them. Either way these issues are far more complex than they seem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tk -
Agree with most of your comments.

However LHN seems to be the only network dedicated to a single school
(it's been pointed out that BYU-TV airs a lot of faith-based programming and is not primarily dedicated to showing Cougar sports).

So correct me if I'm wrong, but does LHN suffer from the following:

1. limted content available (since they are drawing on U of Texas athletics, and not a 10/12/14 team conference), AND
2. limited potential subcriber base (U of T graduates, Longhorn fans - admittedly this numbers in the millions, but pales in comparison to alumni / fans of ALL of the Big Ten schools) ?

I must clarify that subscribership is not done on the basis of individual viewers, its' done in terms of shoving it down the throat of everyone subscribing to specific tiers of service
on various cable / satellite providers. So I could see LHN ultimately distributed through out the state of Texas, but can't imagine that ESPN would think it would fly outside the borders of Texas...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
tk -
Agree with most of your comments.

However LHN seems to be the only network dedicated to a single school
(it's been pointed out that BYU-TV airs a lot of faith-based programming and is not primarily dedicated to showing Cougar sports).

So correct me if I'm wrong, but does LHN suffer from the following:

1. limted content available (since they are drawing on U of Texas athletics, and not a 10/12/14 team conference), AND
2. limited potential subcriber base (U of T graduates, Longhorn fans - admittedly this numbers in the millions, but pales in comparison to alumni / fans of ALL of the Big Ten schools) ?

I must clarify that subscribership is not done on the basis of individual viewers, its' done in terms of shoving it down the throat of everyone subscribing to specific tiers of service
on various cable / satellite providers. So I could see LHN ultimately distributed through out the state of Texas, but can't imagine that ESPN would think it would fly outside the borders of Texas...

I'll hit these one by one.

I have BYUtv and the majority of its programming is faith based so its not a good comparison.

1. Content: The Longhorn Network does regular shows, but does fill quite a few hours with new/original programming and live events which I can break down into a few categories.

Longhorn Extra- 30min Sport Center all about UT and UT players (I like this but don't record it, its the LHN's main filler show that just replays probably about 6 times a day)
Big time events/replays - 2/3 fb games, 12 bb games, 20 baseball games and late night replays/quickplays (like game film with new/original commentary).
Lesser events - women's bb, softball, volley ball, soccer, and tennis/track/swim/dive/rowing
Coach's corner (pre/post) - fb/bb/baseball all do a weekly pregame show called "Game Plan with..." and a post game "Rewind with..."
Press Conferences - self explanatory after game and the weekly
All Access - Edited practice content/behind the scenes
Texas Gameday - Pre/Post gameday events for the big 3 sports
Documentaries - Run Ricky Run, Earl Campbell, DKR, Traditions, etc.
Specials - After national signing day, banquets, roundtable with ex-players, ex-player mini documentaries (did one on Roy Williams when he retired)
Seasons replay/recaps - mostly fb/bb but baseball national titles '02/'05 had one done, 2012 men's golf had one done called "Unmatched" (very well I might add) and I literally just watch 2012 women's volleyball title run last night call "Point".
Classics - Replays of classic games from the big 3 and national/conference title game's from some select others sports
Academic stuff - Alcalde (campus updates) Cactus Cafe (Poetry/Local Music) Film Showcase (student films) Game Changers (Special guest lecture's) Speakers @ UT (Obama/Dalai Lama/Bill Gates) An Hour with...(President/Dean interviews)
Friday Night Lights (TV show) they bought the replay right to this show to fill time when the network first launched but its doesn't play much any more (or at least I don't see it).

So...I don't think content is huge hindrance, and I love the variety of programming (all really well done BTW when you combine all access to your favorite programs and the quality of ESPN production), but yes I could see them sharing the 24/7 network with 1 other school (like the Lone Star Network they tried to get A&M to start with them) but not with 9 schools because its would water down the product too much. I also have the Big Ten network and there is no comparison between the two, the LHN is much higher quality/quantity of programming, and we can assume that the SEC will receive the same treatment so if you like the SEC that's something to look forward to.

2. Subscribers: This is a fair point, and I agree that this is probably the 2nd biggest hindrance to the LHN after ESPN's greed...but people want this in Texas, Time Warner knew it and tried to get in on the ground floor but ESPN said that they wanted too big of a stake and a discount rate for their subscribers. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... WC-UT.aspx .

Basically the LHN has now made its way onto nearly every non-Big 3 service provider including Charter, Cox, AT&T, Verizon, Grande, Cablevision, Google Fiber, AppleTV and many small distributors in Houston/Gulf Coast, DFW/North Texas, Central Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Waco), and East Texas (Lufkin, Tyler, Longview, Texarkana), and because of this ESPN is playing chicken with the big providers hoping one will crack first and a rush of customers in Texas will switch to it so they haven't lowered their fees which is frustrating many Longhorn fans who don't have it.

As far as nationally, I think it will get put on the sports packages of most providers eventually but this was just a test for ESPN. They really wanted to see if they could make this successful over the next decade and then would try to see if other big programs like USC, tOSU, Mich, Neb, PSU, OU, LSU, Bama, UGA, FL, FSU, UNC, ND would be interested in breaking away from their conference TV deals and trying out this system.

Once the SEC network kicks off expect a similar tactic. That's really all I was saying, I wasn't arguing whether or not the LHN is successful (though it is for UT but could be better and it isn't yet for ESPN).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:09 pm 
Senior
Senior

So who's an "Ace Jewel"?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -to-expand

My opinion is North Carolina, Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame are "Ace Jewels".

The next group which I'll call "Back-up Jewels" include Virginia Tech and NC State.

"Hey, I need a team Jewels" include, need Duke to get UNC, need FSU to break-up the ACC, need Clemson as an 18th team, need West Virginia as a 20th.

I can't imagine that the SEC would be interested in anyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

seanbo wrote:
So who's an "Ace Jewel"?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -to-expand

My opinion is North Carolina, Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame are "Ace Jewels".

The next group which I'll call "Back-up Jewels" include Virginia Tech and NC State.

"Hey, I need a team Jewels" include, need Duke to get UNC, need FSU to break-up the ACC, need Clemson as an 18th team, need West Virginia as a 20th.

I can't imagine that the SEC would be interested in anyone else.

Good question, Seanbo.

I agree with you on the "Ace Jewels" list per the SEC. Those you listed are contiguous to the SEC.
Doubt though, ND in the heat of an early season, in the early afternoon, would want to be playing bulldogs in Starksville, MS or Athens, GA.
Given Texas A&M's nice transition to the SEC, would Texas ever follow? While Texas looks near ideal in so many ways, seems too much to relent on anytime soon.
Virginia is not Maryland, and would assume they would not march right into the B1G without hearing all options. There's the VPI factor as well.
UNC will not break from the ACC unless the conference is gutted beforefand. They have in-state company and the governing board controls NCSU as well.

FSU is certainly a "jewel", and Clemson also to a certain degree. But for the SEC, I'd call them "backups"---they don't add much in new marketing territory, but have dandy fan support and could hold their own in the revenue department.

NCSU &/or VPI are probably acceptable under certain circumstances, but may not be the "Aces'" the UF President was referring to.

Duke is interesting. Duke could be a "must take" school with UNC. However, Duke fb, with their smaller stadium and less frequent wins in later decades, would be even more struggling in the SEC. Whether their academics & bb would get them there, would be a big question.

It's hard to see the SEC be willing to take both UNC & NCSU (two from the same new state), and having by-passed on FSU & Clemson. I doubt Miami is viewed as an ACE for the SEC.

The B1G may have their best luck in adding, by going after GT, FSU, (and maybe Pitt) if they seek to try that first. But I don't see the B1G, or the SEC, reaching for 20 to get a couple of ACEs' in the mix. And, the B12 isn't going to break the ACC unless they have a lot of help beforehand.

Contrary to my own preference, I do think "16" for the SEC & B1G is a potential reality within the next 5 years are so. But further breaking the ACC (or the B12 for that matter) may not be near as easy as some assume. There are some deep bonds in a long-established conference with a developed identity. With media/broadcasting driving all this, the turns all this takes are really unpredictable. If a conference reaches beyond 16, what does that do for network programming? Schools already in the conference would start to receive diminishing exposure. The networks shall start focusing even more on the superstars of the conference, and contracts that include given each school in the conference a "fair shake" in coverage regardless, may start to show signs of retraction on certain inclusionary variables in the pursuit of greater profits. Thus, certain exisiting schools in a conference could be hurt by ever larger expansion.

For the ACC to survive, nearly as is, they need ESPN to come through bigtime with the next negotiations. Also, they need Notre Dame to make a full commitment. And, the ACC needs to take care of their own outside Tobacco Road.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:03 pm 
Senior
Senior

GT in the east and Kansas in the west.Thats a way to 16.

It may happen pieces not all at once for the B10.

And The B12 needs 12 for national championship.FSU and Miami are the two Florida schools that Fox wants for the B12.Then B12 needs an extra school .Then its Clemson or Louisville.

Then the SEC goes for its two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 70  Next