NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:28 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: A10 Realignment
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

accseahawk wrote:
I wonder if the Big East will fall in love with the 10 team model and decide to stay put. That would be nice

I was thinking that might happen, until they verified the $40 million TV deal. FOX wants inventory, no reason to pay them an extra $10 mil (from the 30 orginally reported a month ago) when their were no more reported bidders, I think that was a bit on incentive money to tell then to go to 12.

However, by not annoucing who the 12 are, I think we might see a Virginia team (Richmond/VCU) slide in as number 12 instead of Dayton to make clear E/W divisions along with STL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

VCU would be the common sense pick at this point if they wanted 12. They could be the UConn of the new Big east. Would allow for common sense divisions too. But in basketball divisions are not as crucial as they are in football. Smart scheduling is just as good as divisions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:47 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Ha. I just want to point this out (and ______ my own ________; tis the season after all)...

On an A-10 forum last May, when UMass' FBS rumors were circulating and them joining the Big East with Temple was out there as a possiblity, I said:

Quote:
My order would be:
#1 - Creighton
#2 - Florida Gulf Coast
#3 - George Mason
#4 - Boston U
#5 - Davidson

And when I was called crazy:

Quote:
I'm glad you were reading the FGCU thing, though. They don't have the pedigree. They have the potential. They have infrastructure. They have a president hell-bent on making FGCU a big time school.

They've won more regular conference titles than anyone else in the Atlantic Sun in the last four years, and they weren't eligible for the post-season until this year. Their WBB team made the WNIT their FIRST YEAR in Division I, and the NCAA Tourney the first year they were eligible for that. Their MBB team hasn't been doing so well, but 15-17 with that recruiting pitch is pretty solid.

They are GOING TO BE GOOD. They are going to be moving up the conference ladder.

Both USF and UCF have gone from A-Sun to Big East in the span of 10 years. FGCU is next. They GET IT. They are committed to athletics. If the A-10 says "You need to spend X on basketball" they are going to spend X+ on basketball, if they aren't already.

It adds a new market, new recruiting territory (Hey, no one wants to go to Bona in Feb, what about sunny Florida?). They'd probably leave us in 10 years after adding football, but so be it. You find the next one.

We can look at schools that have been in DI for a while and haven't done much with the exception of Creighton (who fits but is far away), or George Mason (who've done it ONCE but not often). Or we can look for a program that while far away is still a nice getaway trip, and on the rise.

It's not that crazy. Why did C-USA go with UCF over La Tech? Potential and infrastructure. Why did the Big East go with USF and UCF over ECU? Neither had won diddle compared to ECU. Because of potential and infrastructure.

They took a pretty big step today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:06 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I just don't think they should go to Florida unless they're going to fill in the gaps between a FL school and VCU first, assuming VCU is in the A-10 for some considerable time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:45 pm 
Senior
Senior

JPSchmack wrote:
Basketball wise, Creighton.

Market wise, Detroit. But Boston U might make sense if UMass goes to the MAC.

I'd rank the A-10's list as:

1. Butler (11 NCAA bids, Last 2011. Two Final Fours)
2. VCU (11 NCAA bids, Last 2012. One Final Four)
3. Creighton (16 NCAA bids, last 2012. 0 FF)
4. George Mason (6 NCAA bids, last 2011, One Final Four)
5. Boston U (7 NCAA bids, last 2011. 0 FF)
6. Detroit (5 NCAA bids. last 2012. 0 FF)
7. Davidson (10 NCAA bids, last 2012. 0 FF)

Dark Horse: Long Island-Brooklyn

I don't see FGCU!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:20 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

List one was mine (with FGCU second behind Creighton). List 2 was my guess on the A-10's expansion candidates. Two separate things.

Also, the A-10 ballooned to 16 teams becuase they knew they'd lose at least 4. There's no reason for them to add someone until SLU and or UD get invites from the Big East, or UMass from the America 12.

My point is that people are focused on NCAA bids as their prime measure of "Who should we take?" People are taking about Mason like they have their 2006 team coming back. Or Siena (who was 8-24 this season) because of their NCAA bids.

People look for the WINNING, they don't look for the CAUSE of the winning. You win because you invest in it. Because you're committed to what you CAN CONTROL. You can't control 18-22 year old kids, officials, the other team or where your school is located. You can control your facilities, your recruiting budget, your image, who you hire and your committment to winning.

FGCU, Stony Brook, Quinnipiac are teams that are going to be successful because they are doing an excellent job at controling what they can control. Look for those things in schools (I call it "Infrastructure"). The schools that have it are the schools that are going to be the next Creighton.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:39 pm 
Senior
Senior

JPSchmack wrote:
List one was mine (with FGCU second behind Creighton). List 2 was my guess on the A-10's expansion candidates. Two separate things.

Also, the A-10 ballooned to 16 teams becuase they knew they'd lose at least 4. There's no reason for them to add someone until SLU and or UD get invites from the Big East, or UMass from the America 12.

My point is that people are focused on NCAA bids as their prime measure of "Who should we take?" People are taking about Mason like they have their 2006 team coming back. Or Siena (who was 8-24 this season) because of their NCAA bids.

People look for the WINNING, they don't look for the CAUSE of the winning. You win because you invest in it. Because you're committed to what you CAN CONTROL. You can't control 18-22 year old kids, officials, the other team or where your school is located. You can control your facilities, your recruiting budget, your image, who you hire and your committment to winning.

FGCU, Stony Brook, Quinnipiac are teams that are going to be successful because they are doing an excellent job at controling what they can control. Look for those things in schools (I call it "Infrastructure"). The schools that have it are the schools that are going to be the next Creighton.

Was it a different site? Cause I don't see it.

I did just search the site for them. Fresno Alum posted back in 2010 they were thinking of adding football. I was thinking the Sun Belt should add them as they need a Florida presence again and if they're going to add football even better.

You're definitely right though, they're going about it the right way. Founded in 1991 and already on the map. Good for them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:33 pm 
Junior
Junior

I am hearing George Mason to announce tomorrow that they will be joining the A-10.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:40 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

dgreco wrote:
I am hearing George Mason to announce tomorrow that they will be joining the A-10.

Is there any way you can get a source for that? It sounds somewhat logical, and I've heard rumors of that before; but I don't think the A-10 would want 13 schools. And they already have DC/Virginia with GW, Richmond and VCU right now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

@DavidTeelatDP: Another hit for #CAA. MT @GMUWashPost: George Mason and Atlantic 10 both making major announcements Monday. Not a coincidence.

@DavidTeelatDP: Hmmm. RT @DavidWoods007: Atlantic 10 announces Monday news conference for "major announcement" about its future.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

dgreco wrote:

your right here it is:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ource-says

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:

If I'm the A10, I'm going after the Missouri Valley or creeping into Carolina (UNCW), but I think Stony Brook is a slam dunk after those. They're doing all the right things over at SUNY SB...complete opposite of Hofstra, who is sadly in a seat of some power.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Massslive article also discussing report that A-10 will invite George Mason.Article reports A-10 has scheduled presser for this afternoon at 1:45 PM to make the announcement.Link at http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... in_at.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:43 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:

If I'm the A10, I'm going after the Missouri Valley or creeping into Carolina (UNCW), but I think Stony Brook is a slam dunk after those. They're doing all the right things over at SUNY SB...complete opposite of Hofstra, who is sadly in a seat of some power.

this. I don't know why people are not talking about Stony Brook to the A10. Makes complete sense to complement the Northern Side of the A10 once Dayton and St. Louis leave.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

go back and look I said Stony Brook and also said they're a better option than Hofstra. It just sounds like Siena is the team. MAAC sitting at 11 probably figuring they'll lose Siena. Siena has a big arena and been to the tourney 6 times, last time in 2010. SBU 0 times, Northeastern 7 times, none since 1991, Hofstra 4 times, none since 2001.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 37  Next