NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:09 am 
Junior
Junior

I am hearing rumor that the BE is looking to grab both Tulsa and Southern Miss as a package deal in their next move to add schools. Is there any truth to this? Can anyone come up with something on this topic?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 am 
Senior
Senior

NorwichCat11 wrote:
I am hearing rumor that the BE is looking to grab both Tulsa and Southern Miss as a package deal in their next move to add schools. Is there any truth to this? Can anyone come up with something on this topic?

Tulsa rumor has been out. Just some talk of USM here and there but nothing major.

If Big East only gets $2 million per team then lots of need to be considered before accepting. The Big East will still get more TV exposure on NBC or ESPN than MW or CUSA will get.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:

I've said this but as a theory not confirming any rumors but it makes sense if Navy is having cold feet.

The only untapped major media markets that the nBE is not represented in the Central Time Zone, South of the 37th parallel and West (or really close to) the Mississippi River are Austin/San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Little Rock, Shreveport, and Jackson (MS). And the only untapped states are Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Mississippi.

Tulsa gets them a solid all around program in the city of Tulsa and state of Oklahoma that adds another one of those major markets and also helps them tie into the markets of OKC (in combo with SMU) and some of Arkansas and Little Rock (along with Memphis).

Southern Miss adds a good fb power (something the nBE really needs more of) and add the state of Mississippi, city of Hattiesburg plus ties into the city of Jackson.

The only other addition nonAQs out there that could bring value to the new Big East in form of markets or solid fb in that area would be UTSA, LA Tech, and possibly Ark St and ULL though both are longshots.

New Big East West - Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Tulane, SoMiss, Memphis
New Big East East - UConn, Temple, Cincy, East Carolina, UCF, USF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:04 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
New Big East West - Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Tulane, SoMiss, Memphis
New Big East East - UConn, Temple, Cincy, East Carolina, UCF, USF

This is looking increasingly likely. But what bugs me the most is that way back when the BE was falling apart, I said the C-USA schools should just stick together and pick up the BE left overs. This is what it would probably be today (I'll put the differences in italics):

C-USA West - Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Tulane, SoMiss, Memphis, UTEP, Rice
C-USA East - UConn, Temple, Cincy, East Carolina, UCF, USF, UAB, Marshall

Can you imagine how much easier this would have been? The BE bball schools would be left with the name and the tournament (which they will likely end up with). The Sun Belt and C-USA wouldn't be scrambling to add a bunch of FCS call ups.

I guess the downside would be UConn, Cincy and USF will miss out on some of the tournament money and/or exit fees. But on the other side of the coin there would be one less conference in the Gang of 5 and probably about 10 less teams to split the money with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

CSNBBS MB thread discussing "unconfirmed" reports that CUSA has lined up WKU to replace Tulsa,if that school goes to the BE.Link at http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=621035

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
In one of these threads w/ both made predictions neither of us had the MWC getting anyone other than SDSU. We had Tulsa to the nBE(if navy is in do they stay at 12 or go to 14). He had WKU replacing Tulsa, I had Arkansas St. so if 2 go those will probably be the 2 coming in.

freaked4collegefb wrote:
CSNBBS MB thread discussing "unconfirmed" reports that CUSA has lined up WKU to replace Tulsa,if that school goes to the BE.Link at http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=621035

Just a reminder that I had WKU and FSA had AkSU. Let's see if these unconfirmed reports are true...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
In one of these threads w/ both made predictions neither of us had the MWC getting anyone other than SDSU. We had Tulsa to the nBE(if navy is in do they stay at 12 or go to 14). He had WKU replacing Tulsa, I had Arkansas St. so if 2 go those will probably be the 2 coming in.

freaked4collegefb wrote:

Just a reminder that I had WKU and FSA had AkSU. Let's see if these unconfirmed reports are true...

I already conceded that it will be WKU a couple weeks ago on the fcs board.....

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... 35&t=30125

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:37 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

So are we to assume that in either 2014 or 2015 Western Kentucky will be joining C-USA? Is there any chance that another school, perhaps Arkansas St, gets in over the Hilltoppers?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
So are we to assume that in either 2014 or 2015 Western Kentucky will be joining C-USA? Is there any chance that another school, perhaps Arkansas St, gets in over the Hilltoppers?

It seems all but certain just WKU is joining. I am disappointed, what happened to the Hydra expansion approach that C-USA had? Lose 1, get 3, lose 3, get 5.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll add two more so that UAB can stay in the east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

It seems all but certain just WKU is joining. I am disappointed, what happened to the Hydra expansion approach that C-USA had? Lose 1, get 3, lose 3, get 5.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll add two more so that UAB can stay in the east.

Same here, adding WKU, ULL, and Ark St would be a good plan
(I think GA St would be good too but they're new and would shift UAB or WKU to the West)

West - UTEP, UTSA, UNT, Rice, Ark St, LA Tech, ULL, So Miss
East - WKU, MTSU, UAB, FAU, FIU, UNCC, ODU, Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:20 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Tulsa World blog article discussing "inevitability" of Tulsa leaving C-USA at http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportsp ... A/15-19632

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Charleston discussing Tulsa eventually leaving C-USA and WKU taking it's place at http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/Marshall/201303270297

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

WKU to CUSA 2014
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ource-says

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Bowling Green reporting that WKU BOR will meet to vote on WKU to C-USA move at 11:30 am(local) this morning at http://wkyufm.org/post/wku-board-regent ... erence-usa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Updated article out of Bowling Green reporting that C-USA/WKU have officially announced today that WKU will be joining C-USA in 2014 at http://wkyufm.org/post/its-official-wku ... e-usa-2014

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 54  Next