NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: SoCon Realignment
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:45 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The long awaited App St. and Ga Southern to Sunbelt announcements are supposedly Wednesday

www.mynews4.com%2Fnews%2Fstory%2FAppala ... 1_gRg.cspx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I hear 3 of Mercer, ETSU, Kennesaw St., VMI will get invited to the SoCon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:25 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Instead of going for A-Sun and Big South teams the SoCon should try to grab the southern wing of the CAA--hold on to Charleston and grab William & Mary, Towson, James Madison, and Delaware. 11/14 might be an awkward set up but it would keep the quality of the SoCon up but maybe Villanova would be interested in being football school #12.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Instead of going for A-Sun and Big South teams the SoCon should try to grab the southern wing of the CAA--hold on to Charleston and grab William & Mary, Towson, James Madison, and Delaware. 11/14 might be an awkward set up but it would keep the quality of the SoCon up but maybe Villanova would be interested in being football school #12.

CAA has a tv deal SoCon doesn't so they won't steal from the CAA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Which is why we think Davidson will be bouncing out soon.

BE/FBS raids A10
A10/FBS raids CAA
CAA raids SoCon
SoCon raids Big South
Big South raids ASun
ASun raids D2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Which is why we think Davidson will be bouncing out soon.

BE/FBS raids A10
A10/FBS raids CAA
CAA raids SoCon
SoCon raids Big South
Big South raids ASun
ASun raids D2

this is the perfect example of what I call climbing the ladder. Rarely do you see a double jump like ODU from CAA to CUSA w/o a stop in the SBC or MAC 1st.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Charleston(previously posted in another thread)with comments from SOCON Commish regarding league realignment.League AD's are expected to meet next month to discuss expansion.Link at http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2 ... ources=RSS

Post subject: SoCon Realignment
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

How fast can Mercer go scholarship, or can Kennesaw State ramp up? I personally think the SoCon should fill the Georgia-shaped hole in the footprint and call it a day.

Samford
Chattanooga
Mercer or Kennesaw State
The Citadel
Furman
Wofford
Western Carolina
Elon
Davidson
UNC Greensboro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
How fast can Mercer go scholarship, or can Kennesaw State ramp up? I personally think the SoCon should fill the Georgia-shaped hole in the footprint and call it a day.

Samford
Chattanooga
Mercer or Kennesaw State
The Citadel
Furman
Wofford
Western Carolina
Elon
Davidson
UNC Greensboro

According to what I read earlier they were looking at 3 of Mercer, ETSU(restarting fb), Kennesaw St., VMI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ETSU restarting football is great i still think if you want to be division 1 you have a have football. Football is the driving force nowadays.
not basketball. But the socon might lose elon, davidson and samford to the big south and unc greensboro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:56 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Over on the CAA page I posted a scenario that keeps the CAA afloat by gutting the SoCon and taking Davidson, Elon, and UNC Greensboro to build a southern division but I thought I should play out what I think that means for the SoCon---

I think the next thing that happens is that Samford and UT Chattanooga jump for the more stable OVC. UT Chattanooga might even make it all the way to the Sunbelt, who knows. Either way I think those two are probably gone. That leaves:

W Carolina
Elon
Furman
The Citadel

To keep the SoCon going they could add all 6 Big South football schools to get to a 10-member all-sports league where everyone plays football. They could even go for 12 and get into Georgia by taking the new Mercer and Kennesaw St programs. Whether they go with 10 or 12 I think its a good league--2 schools in VA, 2 in NC, 6 in SC, maybe 2 more in GA. Easy travel and obvious travel partners.

That leaves 6 schools in the Big South and 8-10 in the Atlantic Sun. One of those leagues raids the other and the rest probably become orphans or look for DII transitioning programs.

Thoughts guys?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Over on the CAA page I posted a scenario that keeps the CAA afloat by gutting the SoCon and taking Davidson, Elon, and UNC Greensboro to build a southern division but I thought I should play out what I think that means for the SoCon---

I think the next thing that happens is that Samford and UT Chattanooga jump for the more stable OVC. UT Chattanooga might even make it all the way to the Sunbelt, who knows. Either way I think those two are probably gone. That leaves:

W Carolina
Elon
Furman
The Citadel

To keep the SoCon going they could add all 6 Big South football schools to get to a 10-member all-sports league where everyone plays football. They could even go for 12 and get into Georgia by taking the new Mercer and Kennesaw St programs. Whether they go with 10 or 12 I think its a good league--2 schools in VA, 2 in NC, 6 in SC, maybe 2 more in GA. Easy travel and obvious travel partners.

That leaves 6 schools in the Big South and 8-10 in the Atlantic Sun. One of those leagues raids the other and the rest probably become orphans or look for DII transitioning programs.

Thoughts guys?

It depends on timing and if the SoCon moves fast, that means KSU, Mercer, ETSU join before the CAA or OVC adds anyone. Then they all reevaluate. CAA makes its moves depending who they take, UTC and Samford may go to the OVC. I'm saying they'll probably get back to 12 before they fall to 4. But after 12, CAA could cut them down to 9.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Charleston with comments from Socon Commish and others regarding league realignment at http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2 ... source=RSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Chattanooga discussing SoCon realignment situation at http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013 ... o-move-now

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Winston Salem with comments from SoCon Commish regarding league realignment at http://www.journalnow.com/sports/colleg ... 0f31a.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next