NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:30 am 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
seanbo wrote:
At this point, am I the only one who would just like to see CUSA and the Sun Belt merge? After Tulsa leaves, is there really that much of a difference between the 2?

East- Appalachian, Charlotte, FAU, FIU, Marshall, Old Dominion
South- UAB, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, MTSU, South Alabama, Troy
Central- Arkansas State, Louisiana, La. Tech, Monroe, Southern Miss, WKU
West- NMSU, North Texas, Rice, UTEP, UTSA, Texas State

Despite the easier travel C-USA and the Sunbelt won't ever merge. Sure it makes perfect sense to many of us but not to them. C-USA, as the older more established football conference feels innately superior to the younger Sunbelt. C-USA also has the better media markets, and up until the most recent conference shifts programs that clearly outspent and outperformed their Sunbelt counterparts. C-USA also has a far better tv contract and merging with the SBC would dilute that pool of money.

Some of that distinction has eroded recently with C-USA adding some nascent programs purely for their markets and potential. It would be hard to argue that the bottom of half of C-USA is better than lets say Arkansas St, UL Monroe, and UL Lafayette but Tulane and now LA Tech would never allow them into C-USA

Tulane's in the Big Whatever now, right? and I don't believe La Tech has that much pull yet.

I suggested the merger only half-heartily. ;) I think it makes sense but don't believe anyone that counts does, meaning C-USA.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:28 pm 
Junior
Junior

Welcome aboard Appalachian State and Georgia Southern! These are good additions. The addition of New Mexico State is okay, but I too disagree with the addition of Idaho. I think a better #4 would have been either Lamar, Sam Houston State, or Missouri State. I think Idaho is too far away. Do you guys think that U. Tennessee - C. will be up next if Western Kentucky or one of the others bolts for CUSA? What about adding another 4 to get to 16? Whom would you add?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:
Welcome aboard Appalachian State and Georgia Southern! These are good additions. The addition of New Mexico State is okay, but I too disagree with the addition of Idaho. I think a better #4 would have been either Lamar, Sam Houston State, or Missouri State. I think Idaho is too far away. Do you guys think that U. Tennessee - C. will be up next if Western Kentucky or one of the others bolts for CUSA? What about adding another 4 to get to 16? Whom would you add?

I would expect to add, if I was the Sun Belt commish, UTC (Chattanooga) and Florida A&M; along with UT-Arlington and UALR to add football.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
NorwichCat11 wrote:

I would expect to add, if I was the Sun Belt commish, UTC (Chattanooga) and Florida A&M; along with UT-Arlington and UALR to add football.

FAMU is far from going FBS now. Ever since their 110 ncaa violations. Plus that would be 15 for fb and and 15 all sports.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
NorwichCat11 wrote:

FAMU is far from going FBS now. Ever since their 110 ncaa violations. Plus that would be 15 for fb and and 15 all sports.

In all seriousness, FCGU may actually be a good add for the Sun Belt if they are serious about adding football. Getting back into Florida should be a goal for the conference. The Sun Belt can stick with two football only members until FGCU is ready for FBS football at which point they could decide to bring on NMSU full time or drop both football only members in favor of a full member. Ideally UT-Arlington is also going to add football and will try to be ready at the same time. That way they could stay at 14 all sport, 12 football from here on out.

That said, I have no idea who should join with FGCU.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
NorwichCat11 wrote:

In all seriousness, FCGU may actually be a good add for the Sun Belt if they are serious about adding football. Getting back into Florida should be a goal for the conference. The Sun Belt can stick with two football only members until FGCU is ready for FBS football at which point they could decide to bring on NMSU full time or drop both football only members in favor of a full member. Ideally UT-Arlington is also going to add football and will try to be ready at the same time. That way they could stay at 14 all sport, 12 football from here on out.

Love the way you express about UT-Arlington. But what about your opinion for UALR and their chances to add football? Plus, in case FGCU plans to add football, it should be paired (for joining) with Mercer or Stetson or Jacksonville (all from the A-Sun in non-football sports).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:18 am 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
NorwichCat11 wrote:

Love the way you express about UT-Arlington. But what about your opinion for UALR and their chances to add football? Plus, in case FGCU plans to add football, it should be paired (for joining) with Mercer or Stetson or Jacksonville (all from the A-Sun in non-football sports).

I know a lot of us want to see UT-A and UALR add football at the same time which could kick out the football only schools down the road. That said, I haven't really seen anything solid/credible on UALR adding football, but UT-A did say they were going to add it when they joined the WAC.

If that's the case, the Sun Belt could just get to 11 all sports members and kick out one football only member (and stay at 12/12) or have someone else ready to join with UT-A and kick both Idaho and NMSU out. At that point you would have 12/13 and would need another non football member. I do like the idea of Jacksonville, big city with no major team.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If you are thinking Jacksonville St., I believe that is Jacksonville, Alabama (big town ?) and not Jacksonville, Florida.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
If you are thinking Jacksonville St., I believe that is Jacksonville, Alabama (big town ?) and not Jacksonville, Florida.

No Jacksonville U in the Atlantic Sun. It's not a big school by any stretch and probably shouldn't get in, but it is in Jacksonville and would give the Sun Belt a second Florida school. They did reach the NIT in 2009 and 2010 so they aren't terrible. And they have good baseball. They'd make a decent non football school for the eastern division to offset UALR in the west.

Downside, they're a private school and SB is all public.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
tute79 wrote:

No Jacksonville U in the Atlantic Sun. It's not a big school by any stretch and probably shouldn't get in, but it is in Jacksonville and would give the Sun Belt a second Florida school. They did reach the NIT in 2009 and 2010 so they aren't terrible. And they have good baseball. They'd make a decent non football school for the eastern division to offset UALR in the west.

Downside, they're a private school and SB is all public.

Yup, it's Jacksonville U of the A-Sun, Tute. And I agree with SJSUFan about it being the right non-football school to offset with UALR (unless it plans to re-add football).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:36 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

UT - Lite will not be adding football anytime soon ... There is NO fan support for the sports they have now ... Right in the middle of Big 12 Country with a very successful Big 12 Football program just a few miles away .... I think the Sunbelt would Bo better to recruit Abilene Christian ... They are now D-1 .. And maybe Oral Roberts for Non football ... Also Dallas Baptist for Baseball ... They are rated higher than ANY Sunbelt team .....!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
NorwichCat11 wrote:

From the SoCon thread
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Chattanooga discussing SoCon realignment situation at http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013 ... o-move-now

UTC was approached by the Sun Belt but said no thank you as they were worried about how much it would the cost to upgrade.

And like FSA said FL A&M is focusing on getting into the SWAC now, no longer interested in FBS.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

WKU to CUSA in 2014
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ource-says

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JMU and Liberty seem to be the top 2 candidates to replace WKU. Man they must have had everyone else say no for Liberty to get a look.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JMU to the SBC soon

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -c-usa-jmu

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 88  Next