NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:08 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
JMU and Liberty seem to be the top 2 candidates to replace WKU. Man they must have had everyone else say no for Liberty to get a look.

I think it's more of a case of needing one eastern school. Texas State, and possibly the Louisiana schools, also don't want any more members from its former home, the Southland. Lamar wants to go FBS, possibly Sam Houston State as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Bowling Green(previously posted in another thread)reporting that WKU BOR will meet this morning at 11:30am(local)to vote on leaving SBC for C-USA at http://wkyufm.org/post/wku-board-regent ... erence-usa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:20 am 
Senior
Senior

Putting aside my bias, I am still having a hard time seeing JMU in the belt. JMU vs UL-monroe in all sports, JMU vs Idaho, JMU vs Troy MBB. I would bet JMU is talking to the MAC for that 14th spot. I don't see JMU a happy camper in the SBC outside playing App st and eastern sbc vs playing in a much better MAC.

Putting my bias back in.
Lamar, not in Houston media market, but still only 1 hour drive away. SBC is not in or near Houston.
Lamar has it's own media market which is bigger than Texas Tech Lubbock media market.
Lamar is within the SBC footprint. A bus trip for, ULL, ULM, Texas st, Ark st, USA, and maybe Troy, a tight belt conference.
Lamar would have the largest endowment at $277 million in the SBC.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:06 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

playa4life wrote:
Putting aside my bias, I am still having a hard time seeing JMU in the belt. JMU vs UL-monroe in all sports, JMU vs Idaho, JMU vs Troy MBB. I would bet JMU is talking to the MAC for that 14th spot. I don't see JMU a happy camper in the SBC outside playing App st and eastern sbc vs playing in a much better MAC.

Putting my bias back in.
Lamar, not in Houston media market, but still only 1 hour drive away. SBC is not in or near Houston.
Lamar has it's own media market which is bigger than Texas Tech Lubbock media market.
Lamar is within the SBC footprint. A bus trip for, ULL, ULM, Texas st, Ark st, USA, and maybe Troy, a tight belt conference.

I would have thought JMU would have been a better fit for CUSA than WKU since they'd help push the footprint north, a good match with Marshall and ODU.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:

Putting my bias back in.

JMU to Monroe = ~950miles
JMU to Troy = ~700 miles
JMU to Idaho = who the hell cares they'll fly and only travel their in fb once every 4 years

Here's what Lamar would be traveling to the other division...
Lamar to App St = ~1000 miles
Lamar to GA Southern = ~950 miles
Lamar to GA State = ~700 miles
Lamar to Troy = ~550 miles
Lamar to SoBama = ~400miles

But none of that matters as this is not a bus league, its an airline league for 75% of their games.

It boils down to this...

West - Idaho/UTA, NMSU/UALR, Texas St, Ark St, ULL, ULM
East - Troy, SoBama, GA St, GA So, App St, ????

If you add Lamar or SHSU or Missouri St or any other school West of the Mississippi you'd disrupt the geographical divisions that the Sun Belt in multiple reports has stated that it cares about.

At this point and time the ONLY options for #12 are JMU, Liberty, and Jacksonville St as they plug into the league the Sun Belt has established. Lamar or any Western schools best hope is that either ULL or Ark St get poached and they need a Western replacement, or that the Belt decides to jump to 14 and adds another member in both the East and Western divisions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Why JMU ?

Look how the Sun-Belt lays out...

2 in Texas
2 in Louisiana
2 in Arkansas

2 in Alabama
2 in Georgia
2 (Carolinas / Virginia - need someone to pair with Appy State).

So logically they are looking at FCS wannabe move-up football schools in VA/NC/SC area (just my opinion but I think JMU is a MUCH stronger candidate than Liberty...)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Updated article out of Bowling Green(previously posted in another thread)reporting that WKU has officially announced today that they are leaving the SBC for C-USA in 2014 at http://wkyufm.org/post/its-official-wku ... e-usa-2014

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If James Madison and Liberty would be the next candidate schools to join the Sun Belt, I say that the next school to leave the Sun Belt alongside Western Kentucky to join C-USA should be South Alabama (a charter and longtime member of the Sun Belt since its inception on the 76-77 season) while the TBD conference (or fb-nBE) takes another one from C-USA to accompany alongside Tulsa for the 2014-15 season.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
Why JMU ?

Look how the Sun-Belt lays out...

2 in Texas
2 in Louisiana
2 in Arkansas

2 in Alabama
2 in Georgia
2 (Carolinas / Virginia - need someone to pair with Appy State).

So logically they are looking at FCS wannabe move-up football schools in VA/NC/SC area (just my opinion but I think JMU is a MUCH stronger candidate than Liberty...)

The logic could be in Texas is bigger in population than Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, and Georgia combined would require another Texas school.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
The logic could be in Texas is bigger in population than Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, and Georgia combined would require another Texas school.

Texas is ~26mil and has 12 FBS schools so adding a 13th, 26mil/13 schools= ~2 mil in market penetration.

Virginia is ~8mil and has 3 FBS schools so adding a 4th, 8mil/4= ~2mil in market penetration.

So the difference is negligible at best...and keep in mind that I'm a huge fan of the Lone Star State.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

CA 38 million, 7 FBS, 5.4 mill in penetration. RIP Long Beach St., CS Fullerton, Pacific

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
CA 38 million, 7 FBS, 5.4 mill in penetration. RIP Long Beach St., CS Fullerton, Pacific

It may be a bit off-topic, but yeah, RIP to those schools who once sponsored D-I FBS football in California. That's how the Big West Conference lost football as a sponsored sport after 2000-01, shades of the WAC losing football this past fall. If only Long Beach State, Cal State-Fullerton and Pacific, revive their football programs, along with Cal State-Northridge, UC-Irvine, UC-Riverside and UC-Santa Barbara adding football, and UC-Davis and Cal Poly to join by from the Big Sky, then the Big West would revive football as a sponsoring sport, but as an FCS conference, and eventually as an FBS conference.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
playa4life wrote:

Texas is ~26mil and has 12 FBS schools so adding a 13th, 26mil/13 schools= ~2 mil in market penetration.

Virginia is ~8mil and has 3 FBS schools so adding a 4th, 8mil/4= ~2mil in market penetration.

So the difference is negligible at best...and keep in mind that I'm a huge fan of the Lone Star State.

Texas is growing at 670,000 per year. So in less than 3 years Texas will have that extra 2 million. FCS transition is 2 years, excellent timing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
playa4life wrote:

Texas is growing at 670,000 per year. So in less than 3 years Texas will have that extra 2 million. FCS transition is 2 years, excellent timing.

So in about 6 years when the Big Ten or Big 12 or SEC or ACC or conference formerly called the Big East or MWC or MAC or CUSA expands and the trickle down hits the Sun Belt they'll be ready to grab the power packed combo of SHSU and SFA :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:03 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
playa4life wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
playa4life wrote:

So in about 6 years when the Big Ten or Big 12 or SEC or ACC or conference formerly called the Big East or MWC or MAC or CUSA expands and the trickle down hits the Sun Belt they'll be ready to grab the power packed combo of SHSU and SFA :mrgreen:

Maybe.... SHSU, for sure because metro Houston is still growing north. Not as fast as the eastward growth. Houston Suburb is reaching the Trinity River. Beaumont suburb is about mid-way to Winnie. 30 miles apart.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 88  Next