NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:38 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 211  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CSNBBS MB thread discussing article out of Lafayette(previously posted in this thread)regarding "unconfirmed" report that when the BCS announces their new playoff scheme next month it will include provisions to in effect financially penalize conferences "like" the Big 12 that currently do not have FB Champ games.This should be an interesting story to follow this spring.Link at http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=624869

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 am 
Senior
Senior

More silly time with rumors stuff? It is April fools day!
Rumors from Baylor-land.
Better take 'em Bears seriously, or they may sue.
Let' see- UNC heading for the SEC for 2014? Have not decided on #16. ???
Miami heading to the B12-- a done deal?
Some new Fla. axis of Miami, UCF, & USF heading to the B12? FSU said no.

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

http://tuxedoyoda.blogspot.com/2013/03/done-deal.html

And more entertainment from WVU fan rumors:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=11412104

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I really don't get it. Why most conferences that have 12 teams are getting greedy with having like over 14 teams as a minimum? Like having 12 as the maximum is NOT good enough? No wonder this decade's conference realignment is washed up. And because of that, the WAC no longer will sponsor football, and the Big 12 couldn't find any worthy pair to have 12 of their own yet.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:51 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
I really don't get it. Why most conferences that have 12 teams are getting greedy with having like over 14 teams as a minimum? Like having 12 as the maximum is NOT good enough? No wonder this decade's conference realignment is washed up. And because of that, the WAC no longer will sponsor football, and the Big 12 couldn't find any worthy pair to have 12 of their own yet.

In football, the rotation is already pretty much ruined after 10. Even at 12, if a conference is divided, a good rivalry is jeopardized, so if it's protected, some teams are seen more than others. Of course, if all parties are willing, 11+ can be fine, but once the cord is severed, why not expand and bloat?

I'm not much of a Big XII fan, but what I do admire about their sticking to ten is that it at least appears that they value playing each other every season. Once the Big 8 and sWc "merged," it set things adrift, and suddenly schools who had each other as a commonality didn't even have that. So, Colorado saw its place on a map, and Nebraska realized it wasn't as far from the Big Ten it thought it was.

I don't believe Texas and Oklahoma pose the greatest flight risk. I think it's Kansas. The value of KC is a big one, and if expansion does happen, it puts the eyes back into Texas (Dallas). And in those "best case scenarios" where the Big XII gets its Florida State and other ACC school, I think KC gets the boot. And that will pretty much end the "pax" between them and the conference.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:07 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

In football, the rotation is already pretty much ruined after 10. Even at 12, if a conference is divided, a good rivalry is jeopardized, so if it's protected, some teams are seen more than others. Of course, if all parties are willing, 11+ can be fine, but once the cord is severed, why not expand and bloat?

I'm not much of a Big XII fan, but what I do admire about their sticking to ten is that it at least appears that they value playing each other every season. Once the Big 8 and sWc "merged," it set things adrift, and suddenly schools who had each other as a commonality didn't even have that. So, Colorado saw its place on a map, and Nebraska realized it wasn't as far from the Big Ten it thought it was.

I don't believe Texas and Oklahoma pose the greatest flight risk. I think it's Kansas. The value of KC is a big one, and if expansion does happen, it puts the eyes back into Texas (Dallas). And in those "best case scenarios" where the Big XII gets its Florida State and other ACC school, I think KC gets the boot. And that will pretty much end the "pax" between them and the conference.

They should pick any other Southeast school BUT Florida State! The Noles will always be ACC-bound! I believe that it could had been Houston (won't happen because the Cougars will be in the fb-old Big East) or Rice or UTEP to join and prove something, just like TCU has done this season after leaving the WAC, C-USA and the MW within the past decade and a half; just for the sake of bringing old sWC conference rivalries. And having West Virginia is like "hurting" the Big XII because it's not anywhere deeply South (except that they're in the South Atlantic/Appalachia area). West Virginia should have joined the ACC.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:11 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

They should pick any other Southeast school BUT Florida State! The Noles will always be ACC-bound! I believe that it could had been Houston (won't happen because the Cougars will be in the fb-old Big East) or Rice or UTEP to join and prove something, just like TCU has done this season after leaving the WAC, C-USA and the MW within the past decade and a half; just for the sake of bringing old sWC conference rivalries. And having West Virginia is like "hurting" the Big XII because it's not anywhere deeply South (except that they're in the South Atlantic/Appalachia area). West Virginia should have joined the ACC.

That's the "rock and a hard place" thing, then. Because schools like Tulane, Rice, or Air Force meet the academic standards and general contentment with the conference that the Big XII would want in a prospective member, but they offer nothing in terms of athletics or feel awkward in the space. You could shove the schools into the conference, divide the divisions into something other than "Texas and Oklahoma vs. all" and maybe keep the northern schools happy and a bit more "giving" geographically.

Doing business with FSU, Miami, or even BYU is going to mean some pretty divisive demands that will not favor the northern members.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:05 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

That's the "rock and a hard place" thing, then. Because schools like Tulane, Rice, or Air Force meet the academic standards and general contentment with the conference that the Big XII would want in a prospective member, but they offer nothing in terms of athletics or feel awkward in the space. You could shove the schools into the conference, divide the divisions into something other than "Texas and Oklahoma vs. all" and maybe keep the northern schools happy and a bit more "giving" geographically.

Doing business with FSU, Miami, or even BYU is going to mean some pretty divisive demands that will not favor the northern members.

Both of you are making some good points.
To get specific on schools, agree with you Ncaa--a, I don't think FSU is going anywhere.
With this GoR in the B12, could Kansas really leave before it expires? I don't know the fine print or who shall test it, but doubt it would be Kansas unless the B10 is willing to carry UK through it.
There's growing rumblings that WVU is getting more uncomfortable within the B12. Geography does matter. Aside from all this academic charade, WVU belongs in the ACC. That should have been an ACC priority over taking ND for limited fb games-plus.
As to the SEC, they are not currently in the mood to further expand. They are seeing what size does to scheduling & frequent rivalries. However, they would be receptive to hear from a couple of "aces" (UF Pres.) if a major conference breaks, and the B10 goes adding again and so forth.
I agree about 10, that's a good number if a CCG is not sought. But with the playoff picture coming, and the financial impact, the B12 may decide to relent on the issue.

I'd like to see the B1G and the SEC take a break on expansion. But within five years from now, I expect both may have 16 members. Hope not, but it could be more with the way re-alignment may go.
Some point to the B12 having Texas and Oklahoma as the attraction to join. That's certainly true, but it is largely limited to schools seeking to move "upward" in conference affiliation, and are receptive to the B12's structure and domain.
If the B12 is hoping on the ACC to break apart, that could be a very long while. Even if the ACC lost another school or two, that may not mean a bunch will then head to the B12. It depends on "who" would leave and when.

I have had issues with the ACC for years. It's been too politically and operationally controlled in North Carolina. Some of their expansion choices could have been better. However, it's awesome conference bb; and they do have a few schools strong in fb. I don't see a need to dismantle their east coast (north to south) footprint, depicting that it is not worthy, and their more desirable schools need to go elsewhere. Even if there are 4 superconferences for the playoffs, major bowls, etc., and each is at 12 to 16, there would still be an appreciable number of quality schools left out due to geography and influence.
The four super conferences advocates may want to assure each gets a fb playoff spot. The SEC may not be totally keen on this, because as is, they could often land multiple placements in the playoffs. The motive is also to further limit access to grand bowls, contain full power over revenue, and enhance their respective developing networks; but such shall have much frustration in trying to reach, and proven to be too exclusionary. Colleges and Universities do have changes among them over time; and to lock-in structures that narrow flexibility shall keep such unsettled. That noted, conferences are just one party to controlling all this, so the thinking is 'it's better to be an included school', than on the oustside looking and begging to get in'.

Last edited by sec03 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:20 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Well Sec, thanks for agreeing with me of my Noles not leaving the ACC. Noles For Life! The Big XII can check out either Miami or Georgia Tech.

But about a conference with 10 teams having a CCG, I believe that it should be necessary. Plus, also that conference type must divide into 2 5-team divisions for a CCG to sponsor like if it was a 12-team+ (2 6-team division format) conference.

And for the SEC, just in case the Big XII is looking at the SEC, should have LSU and Arkansas; leaving Missouri to replace them in the Western Division.

SEC w/o LSU and Arkansas:

SEC Eastern: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
SEC Western: Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi (Ole Miss), Mississippi State (Hail State), Missouri, Texas A&M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Well Sec, thanks for agreeing with me of my Noles not leaving the ACC. Noles For Life! The Big XII can check out either Miami or Georgia Tech.

But about a conference with 10 teams having a CCG, I believe that it should be necessary. Plus, also that conference type must divide into 2 5-team divisions for a CCG to sponsor like if it was a 12-team+ (2 6-team division format) conference.

And for the SEC, just in case the Big XII is looking at the SEC, should have LSU and Arkansas; leaving Missouri to replace them in the Western Division.

SEC Western: Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi (Ole Miss), Mississippi State (Hail State), Missouri, Texas A&M

I see your point, but doubt the NCAA shall change the rule. Such would always be a re-match. Some re-match games are good, others are awful.

As to the SEC, just give 'em Auburn & Ole Miss. :o .

Appreciate you saying "Hail State"! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

I see your point, but doubt the NCAA shall change the rule. Such would always be a re-match. Some re-match games are good, others are awful.

Then it should be the following for the SEC w/o Auburn and Ole Miss:

SEC Western: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana State (LSU), Mississippi State (Hail State), Missouri, Texas A&M

And since the minimum number for a conference (all-sports-like or football-like) to sponsor is 8 teams; it should be the minimum for a conference to sponsor a CCG for football; and for division format, 2 4-team divisions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:16 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Does anybody think it is possible in the next 5 years that maybe OU, Texas and Kansas end up in the Big 10?

There were rumors that Texas and the Big 10 were flirting with each other in the past year or so. There is a lot of speculation that Kansas is a target of Big 10 expansion.
Would Texas and OU be able to make a move like that, or any other move, without taking their little brothers (texas tech and okie state)?

My gut tells me that if Texas and OU were to move, it would be to the Pac 12, but I think Jim Delanney is a pretty smart guy.
If he could get the Big 10 Network into Texas and have the flagship program of the state a member of the Big 10, that would
be major bucks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
sec03 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

SEC Western: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana State (LSU), Mississippi State (Hail State), Missouri, Texas A&M

And since the minimum number for a conference (all-sports-like or football-like) to sponsor is 8 teams; it should be the minimum for a conference to sponsor a CCG for football; and for division format, 2 4-team divisions.

What I would like to see happen is a "cap" on the number of schools allowed for conferences. 16 comes to mind. If they can declare a minimum number for a recognized conference and to stage a CCG, why not a maximum?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
sec03 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

What I would like to see happen is a "cap" on the number of schools allowed for conferences. 16 comes to mind. If they can declare a minimum number for a recognized conference and to stage a CCG, why not a maximum?

Why upto 16 as the cap? No wonder the other conferences are "member-looking hungry". Because of that, the WAC has forced to stop sponsoring football due to the conference realigment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of San Antonio with comments from Big12 Commish who still says that his league plans to stay at 10 schools for the time being.Link at http://blog.mysanantonio.com/longhorns/ ... sby-big-12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Blog article out of San Antonio with comments from Big12 Commish who still says that his league plans to stay at 10 schools for the time being.Link at http://blog.mysanantonio.com/longhorns/ ... sby-big-12

In other words, the Big 12 will have no interest on expansion whatsoever. Just hope that it won't mean that it'll be the last of the Big 12. Eventually in the future, there will be 2 schools more for the conference to have division alignment format and the revival of its CCG. And I bet that Florida State (my Noles) won't be on the list to be considered as an expansion candidate. They should have like Arkansas or LSU or Miami or Tulsa (won't happen because they will be in the old Big East, I mean, AAC).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 211  Next