NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:05 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/art ... ck_check=1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Green Bay with comments from Horizon League Commish and Oakland University official regarding "current"Horizon league realignment situation at http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/c ... zon-league

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Obviously a long expected move but this just replaces the loss of IC, they still haven't replaced Butler.

I know the fans hate this idea, but taking Chicago St gives them another school in Chicago and makes up for the loss of IC, and IUPU-Indy helps make up for losing Butler and that market too.

At that point taking IUPU-Fort Wayne seems like an obvious and easy way to get to 12.

West- W-GB, W-M, Loyola, Chi St, Valpo, IUPU-Indy
East- IUPU-FW, Wright St, YSU, Clev St, Detroit, Oakland

or geographically

West- 2 in Wisconsin, 2 in Chicago, and 2 in West Indiana
East- 1 in East Indiana, 1 in West Ohio, 2 in East Ohio, and 2 in Detroit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Obviously a long expected move but this just replaces the loss of IC, they still haven't replaced Butler.

I know the fans hate this idea, but taking Chicago St gives them another school in Chicago and makes up for the loss of IC, and IUPU-Indy helps make up for losing Butler and that market too.

At that point taking IUPU-Fort Wayne seems like an obvious and easy way to get to 12.

West- W-GB, W-M, Loyola, Chi St, Valpo, IUPU-Indy
East- IUPU-FW, Wright St, YSU, Clev St, Detroit, Oakland

or geographically

West- 2 in Wisconsin, 2 in Chicago, and 2 in West Indiana
East- 1 in East Indiana, 1 in West Ohio, 2 in East Ohio, and 2 in Detroit

I like it but what about WIU instead of Chicago St since Chicago St is a somewhat disreputable program? The other thing I like about the Horizon preemptively expanding is that if the MVC ever comes back after Valpo and Loyola they'll still have 10 members.

For Divisions I might swap IUPUI with IPFW since IUPUI is close to Wright St and the Horzon is going to want to utilize travel partners.

Post subject: Horizon League Expansion
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Horizon still needs a 6th member for baseball. That would disqualify IUPUI. Chicago State, WIU, SIUE, and IPFW would be candidates who all play baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:47 pm 
Senior
Senior

Looks like Horizon commish nailed it. He said s*** was going down before the final four and he was right. Not surprised the MVC wanted to get into Chicago. I wonder if we should read anything into the fact that they took a public over a private? I doubt it but who knows.

As for the Horizon, gotta think they want to get back to 10 at the very least. IUPUI would replace Butler nicely. I would like to see them give Robert Morris some consideration as well. IUPFW and W. Illinois should only be options if they lose more in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So we have a difference of opinion on what s REALLY happeneing.

A blogger stating his "source" that UIC and Oakland are moving, and Freaked's official statement from Oakland denying the whole thing.

Is this a blogger running amok, or did the info leak before the press releases ? I don't know....

Oakland makes a ton of sense for the Horizon. UIC to the MVC is a bit of a surprise to me, but they were scheduled for a campus visit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Carbondale(previously posted in another thread) with comments from SIU officials denying unconfirmed reports that the MVC has invited any Horizon League members-YET.Link at http://thesouthern.com/sports/college/v ... 963f4.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:04 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Looks like Horizon commish nailed it. He said s*** was going down before the final four and he was right. Not surprised the MVC wanted to get into Chicago. I wonder if we should read anything into the fact that they took a public over a private? I doubt it but who knows.

As for the Horizon, gotta think they want to get back to 10 at the very least. IUPUI would replace Butler nicely. I would like to see them give Robert Morris some consideration as well. IUPFW and W. Illinois should only be options if they lose more in my opinion.

Personally I think Robert Morris in the Horizon would be awesome but the Colonials have a football problem--they don't have anywhere to put their football team if they go to the Horizon. I don't see them making any conference moves until the CAA situation shakes out and they know what the FCS conferences look like first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
Personally I think Robert Morris in the Horizon would be awesome but the Colonials have a football problem--they don't have anywhere to put their football team if they go to the Horizon.

Same place Monmouth puts theirs. I doubt the NEC is going to say "you can't play football with us." Because there's so many various scholarship levels within FCS football, that you want to play as many teams as possible with the same number of schollies you do.

They don't WANT Monmouth and Robert Morris being forced into adding 23 more scholarships by joining the CAA. That's hurts the NEC.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Actually, when Monmouth left the NEC, the NEC boted them outof the NEC football league as punishment (or a deterrent to others).

So Monmouth recently signed a deal to play football in the Big South (as an affiliate, like Stony Book used to be).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Actually, when Monmouth left the NEC, the NEC boted them outof the NEC football league as punishment (or a deterrent to others).

So Monmouth recently signed a deal to play football in the Big South (as an affiliate, like Stony Book used to be).

Yup and Bryant and CCSU declined their AEC invites b/c of the fb likely getting kicked out of the NEC.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:52 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Egads that's stupid.

There's various levels of scholarships in FCS, ranging from 63 to 0. If you're not at 63, kicking someone out of your league for football only is just about the worst idea possible. You're daring them to increase their scholarship levels to join a new football league, which makes them better than you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:
Egads that's stupid.

There's various levels of scholarships in FCS, ranging from 63 to 0. If you're not at 63, kicking someone out of your league for football only is just about the worst idea possible. You're daring them to increase their scholarship levels to join a new football league, which makes them better than you.

Think about what the Patriot did to Fordham...or rather, what Fordham let the Patriot do to them.

It's deeper than sports. Look on the map where these schools are. This is good old parochial snobbery.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fox Sports KC article(previously posted in another thread)with comments from MVC Commish who says no league expansion votes are planned until later this month at the earliest.Article says MVC officials have denounced recent UIC invite rumors as "conjecture".Link at http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/stor ... eedID=5089

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next