NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:15 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CBSSports blog article with comments from C-USA Commish who says league is thinking about a "possible" move to 16 schools at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... JFowlerCBS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:26 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
CBSSports blog article with comments from C-USA Commish who says league is thinking about a "possible" move to 16 schools at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... JFowlerCBS

hmm...I wonder who they could be looking at? UL Lafayette and Arkansas St are the most competitive and strongest attended programs out there but Georgia St has a tv market. Could James Madison be in the mix?--it seems as if they aren't going to the SBC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Should C-USA expand upto 16 schools, it would be the first conference since the WAC back in 96-97. I believe that it would momentarily lead to a split. And aside from that, so much for the previous plans of C-USA trying to merge with the Mountain West, which it was backed down, due to one of the reasons is that C-USA is geographically in the Southeast U.S. and the MW mostly on the Mountain Standard Time Zone of the Western U.S.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

hmm...I wonder who they could be looking at? UL Lafayette and Arkansas St are the most competitive and strongest attended programs out there but Georgia St has a tv market. Could James Madison be in the mix?--it seems as if they aren't going to the SBC

I've said this might happen they'll be at 16 in bb next year since they're keeping Tulane, ECU, Tulsa and adding UNCC, ODU, UNT, UTSA, MTSU, FIU, FAU. I think they're worried about falling behind the MAC so by going to 16 they hope to hit on one or two BCS busters that old CUSA was never able to get and by playing each other less, like the SEC just showed us, they have a better chance of avoiding each other and getting more teams in the rankings and ultimately bowl games.

The only real candidates are Ark St (virtual lock), ULL (will LA Tech block?), UMass (too North?) GA St and JMU (too new?) with TX St (not with 4 TX schools and so close to UTSA), NMSU (dup market w/ who may also block) and App St (longshot but steals SBC's new jewel) also under consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Lafayette with comments from UL AD regarding his school's interest in joining C-USA at http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... n-16-teams

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Lafayette with comments from UL AD regarding his school's interest in joining C-USA at http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... n-16-teams

If that would be the case, that would mean the definite end of the Louisiana-Lafayette vs. Louisiana-Monroe rivalry.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Idaho(previously posted in another thread)with comments from Idaho AD regarding how the new FB playoff revenue distribution model encourages conferences "like" C-USA and SBC to expand at http://www.cdapress.com/news/sports/art ... 0c37f.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 am 
Senior
Senior

freaked4collegefb wrote:

"We’ve modeled it at 16,” Banowsky told CBSSports.com, “and it does kind of create some divisions that are a little more geographically connected."

I would like to state for the record that while some were arguing over one school I said it would be three schools because of divisional purposes. Let's see if that plays out. Then I will rub it in their faces :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I don't get why the C-USA commissioner is pointing to geography as his reasoning for going to 16 when their geography with 14 is pretty cut and dry--

The West has the 4 Texas schools and the trio of LA Tech, S Miss, and UAB
The East has 5 schools East of the Mississippi and North of Tennessee's southern border and then the pair of FL schools

If C-USA does go to 16 I'd like to see them implement a quad system.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
I don't get why the C-USA commissioner is pointing to geography as his reasoning for going to 16 when their geography with 14 is pretty cut and dry--

The East has 5 schools East of the Mississippi and North of Tennessee's southern border and then the pair of FL schools

Like I said earlier. If C-USA plans to become a 16-team conference, it would be the first since the WAC from 1996-97 to 1998-99. Basically and logically, there will be a quad system. However, under that quad system, hope that the quads won't rotate. Instead, those quads should be known as "sections" (or divisions of divisions). For example:

C-USA West:

Section A: UTSA; North Texas; Rice; UTEP
Section B: Louisiana Tech; Southern Miss; UAB; ???

C-USA East:

Section A: Marshall; MTSU; WKU; ???
Section B: FIU; FAU; UNC-Charlotte; Old Dominion

And I also stated that when that would happen, eventually it would split, just like the WAC did after the 98-99 season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

This isn't like the WAC. The WAC took a bunch of schools in a broke up long standing rivalries which lead to the MWC split. These new schools (Sun Belt/FCS upgrades) aren't joining as a last resort they want to be there and the one's left behind (UAB, RICE, So Miss) have nowhere else to go but down unless the American comes calling except UTEP (MWC) and Marshall (back to the MAC) so they made the best conference they could.

They'll likely also not repeat the pod structure of the WAC as none of the Western members have much if any history as the East so they'll just divide straight up 8/8 and go to a 9 game conference schedule.

East- Marshall, ODU, WKU, MTSU, UNCC, FAU, FIU, UAB(or JMU/GA St)
West- UTEP, UTSA, UNT, RICE, Ark St, LA Tech, SoMiss, UAB (or ULL)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:13 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Like I said earlier. If C-USA plans to become a 16-team conference, it would be the first since the WAC from 1996-97 to 1998-99. Basically and logically, there will be a quad system. However, under that quad system, hope that the quads won't rotate. Instead, those quads should be known as "sections" (or divisions of divisions). For example:

C-USA West:

C-USA East:

And I also stated that when that would happen, eventually it would split, just like the WAC did after the 98-99 season.

You are exactly right about that eventual split. Just look at the projected C-USA West---those teams are far ahead of their eastern counterparts in terms of facilities, fan support, and on field performance. (If you look at avg home game attendance the West leads the East by 6,000 and UAB, the most un-western team in that bunch, drags down the West's avg) The West could easily break away and take their favorites from the East leaving the East no choice but to go to the SBC for replacements or a merger.

Personally, I think it would be advantageous for C-USA and the SBC to regionalize and create two geographically friendly leagues:

Western League
UTEP
UTSA
Texas St
North Texas
Rice
Arkansas St
LA Tech
LA Monroe
LA Lafayette
Southern Miss

Eastern League--North Division
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Charlotte
Appalachian St
Old Dominion
James Madison/Liberty?
Marshall
Eastern League--South Division
UAB
Troy
South Alabama
Georgia St
Georgia Southern
FAU
FIU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

C-USA West:

C-USA East:

like your divisions

UTSA, NT, Rice, UTEP

LT, USM, UAB, (Arkansas State)

Marshall, MTSU, WKU, ODU

FAU, FIU, Charlotte, (Georgia State)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:49 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Arkansas State and Georgia State would be excellent choices for expansion in this scenario ..two groups of eight with Championship game in Football .. And Tournaments in other sports should be a very marketable situation ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:29 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

BTW, the Atlantic 10 had 16 teams this season, and the Big East has had between 15-18 for a few years now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 55  Next