NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:55 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: SoCon Realignment
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Posted this on the CAA board

IF
1. JMU goes Subelt and W&M to Patriot
AND
2. CAA abandons Southern presence

THEN

I would like to see the following 10-14 model adopted by the SoCon

Samford, Mercer, Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, CoC, UNCW,

Elon, UNCG, UTC, ETSU, WCU, Davidson, VMI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:15 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

accseahawk wrote:
Posted this on the CAA board

IF
1. JMU goes Subelt and W&M to Patriot
AND
2. CAA abandons Southern presence

THEN

I would like to see the following 10-14 model adopted by the SoCon

Samford, Mercer, Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, CoC, UNCW,

Elon, UNCG, UTC, ETSU, WCU, Davidson, VMI

Who do you think would fit the academic profile to be the 12th member of the Patriot if Wm & Mary become the 11th?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Who do you think would fit the academic profile to be the 12th member of the Patriot if Wm & Mary become the 11th?

Plenty of MAAC members like Fairfield, Manhattan, Marist, Quinpipiac and some longshots like Fordham (A10) or Richmond (A10) could work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Chattanooga with comments from UTC Chancellor regarding today's ScCon meeting where conference expansion is expected to be dicussed at http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013 ... of-urgency

Post subject: SoCon Realignment
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:46 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Davidson headed to the Atlantic 10:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... g-davidson

The SoCon will soon be down to eight:

Samford
Chattanooga
Western Carolina
Elon
UNC Greensboro (non-football)
The Citadel
Furman
Wofford

Unless if the SoCon holds at eight, I'm hard pressed to see all of the SoCon, CAA, Big South, and Atlantic Sun surviving. James Madison to FBS might be curtains for the CAA.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:57 pm 
Senior
Senior

wbyeager wrote:

Samford
Chattanooga
Western Carolina
Elon
The Citadel
Furman
Wofford

Unless if the SoCon holds at eight, I'm hard pressed to see all of the SoCon, CAA, Big South, and Atlantic Sun surviving. James Madison to FBS might be curtains for the CAA.

Well, well, well, I'll be the first to admit I got this one wrong. Thought for sure Davidson would rather be the big fish in a small pond.

So looks like they'll trade Butler, Xavier, St. Louis and Dayton (or potentially Richmond or VCU) for George Mason, Davidson and potentially Siena and one more. Not a bad trade. Thus far looks like UMass is in the A-10 to stay unless there's a big shakeup in the AAC.

And I agree with you, at least one of those conferences is in trouble. I'm really curious to see what happens with the Florida schools in the A-Sun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:

Samford
Chattanooga
Western Carolina
Elon
The Citadel
Furman
Wofford

SoCon had planned to take 3 of VMI, Kennesaw St., Mercer, ETSU. I see them just taking all 4 now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I love that the A10 keeps finding ways to pluck out basketball programs like they do. This is good for all involved, as the A10 gets a consistent basketball program, keeps a presence in Carolina, and the SoCon can recoup by finding football schools.

Sayonara, St. Louis?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Burlington discussing SoCon realignment situation at http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/elon ... n-1.126955

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:25 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I don't get why football isn't the SoCon's priority--lets look at the favorite candidates:

ETSU--literally just voted to revive football, needs time to get it up and going
Mercer--non-scholarship team has yet to play a down
Kennesaw St--has't played a down, not sure if they are committed to scholarships or not
VMI--has been lousy against Big South teams

If they were focused on football they should be looking at schools like these after CAA options are exhausted:

Liberty--if the SBC doesn't take them this is a no brainer
Jacksonville St--gives Samford an instate rival and travel partner, don't have to worry about them going to the SBC
Coastal Carolina--this makes perfect geographic sense
Gardner-Webb--not quite as good as the other options but they will fit in culturally with nearby Furman and Wofford

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
I don't get why football isn't the SoCon's priority--lets look at the favorite candidates:

ETSU--literally just voted to revive football, needs time to get it up and going
Kennesaw St--has't played a down, not sure if they are committed to scholarships or not

If they were focused on football they should be looking at schools like these after CAA options are exhausted:

Jacksonville St--gives Samford an instate rival and travel partner, don't have to worry about them going to the SBC
Gardner-Webb--not quite as good as the other options but they will fit in culturally with nearby Furman and Wofford

I actually agree with you.

I know the four above is what's been reported but adding JAX St, Liberty, and Coastal Carolina makes a lot of sense...the fourth could be just about any of the 4 rumored ones or Gardner-Webb but those first three seem like the best options...

Then again, since JAX St & Liberty have expressed interest in FBS, maybe that's the reason WHY they aren't being pursued...

Still, even if that's the case, Coastal Carolina seems like a solid all-around pick above the other 4 being mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:07 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Charlotte discussing SoCon realignment situation at http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... erest.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:55 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

fighting muskie wrote:

After GaSo and App leave, the SOCON doesn't offer much for football. If Davidson leaves an awful basketball conference becomes worse.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:29 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tkalmus wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

I actually agree with you.

I know the four above is what's been reported but adding JAX St, Liberty, and Coastal Carolina makes a lot of sense...the fourth could be just about any of the 4 rumored ones or Gardner-Webb but those first three seem like the best options...

Then again, since JAX St & Liberty have expressed interest in FBS, maybe that's the reason WHY they aren't being pursued...

Still, even if that's the case, Coastal Carolina seems like a solid all-around pick above the other 4 being mentioned.

I looked into Gardner-Webb more and the more I looked the less excited I was about them as a possible SoCon member.

I have to think that the SoCon could have as many as 6 openings to fill (if they lose Davidson to the A-10 & UNC-G & Elon to the CAA). Here's the order I place the phone calls:

1. Jacksonville St
2. Liberty
3. Coastal Carolina
4. Mercer--huge endowment, hurry up with your fb program
5. Kennesaw St
6. VMI

Backups
7. Presbyterian
8. ETSU
9. Gardner-Webb

Campbell is another school I wonder about--big endowment, bigger enrollment than a lot of these other private southern schools, but no scholarship football--of they added scholarships they might be someone to consider.

Things could get dicey if the OVC is interested in inviting UT-C and Samford--this expansion game becomes a completely different animal.

Post subject: SoCon Realignment
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:39 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I don't think Samford goes back-they were upset at the OVC about scheduling when they left. Even if the SoCon is down to 6, it can raid the Atlantic Sun as several of its schools are starting or are looking to start football programs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next