NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:36 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3070 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 205  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Blog article out of San Antonio with comments from Big12 Commish who still says that his league plans to stay at 10 schools for the time being.Link at http://blog.mysanantonio.com/longhorns/ ... sby-big-12

In other words, the Big 12 will have no interest on expansion whatsoever. Just hope that it won't mean that it'll be the last of the Big 12. Eventually in the future, there will be 2 schools more for the conference to have division alignment format and the revival of its CCG. And I bet that Florida State (my Noles) won't be on the list to be considered as an expansion candidate. They should have like Arkansas or LSU or Miami or Tulsa (won't happen because they will be in the old Big East, I mean, AAC).

I like Bowlsby's idea of the stipend for all student athletes. I just hope, though, if such is enacted, it does not become a slippery slope, ever mounting pressure to increase the disbursements, or fb & bb participants end up receiving larger amounts proportionally.

Bowlsby continues to speak very conservatively on expansion. Actually, acting Commish Neimus, I believe, was the one who brought in TCU & WVU. I agree with what Bowlsby says, but the questions about renewing the CCG, & how size may impact the playoffs, still lingers.
I think it comes down to not having very desirable teams to add at this point in time. Still, the B12 passed on Louisville, which would have connected to WVU, and L'ville is having good success in their prime sports.

I also like what Bowlsby said about poaching schools. I don't think any school should be extracted based on gutting their rivals and some sort of financial blackmail. On the other hand, if someone desperately wants to leave, and another conference of desirability and not extreme size, wants the school,
then let it happen with 'reasonable' exit criteria and costs.

The BIG (and top others) has paused for the moment, for several reasons, on beginning a new expansion extravaganza. Being labeled too much of a predator conference shall get some blow-back.

While conferences vary in revenue disbursements, and the ones with stronger and better schools certainly produce and deserve more than those with less output, there should be some level and measure of compatibility and consistency for like-kind. Too great of a divide shall yield certain negative consequences for the sports & schools involved across the board.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:58 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Blog article out of San Antonio with comments from Big12 Commish who still says that his league plans to stay at 10 schools for the time being.Link at http://blog.mysanantonio.com/longhorns/ ... sby-big-12

In other words, the Big 12 will have no interest on expansion whatsoever. Just hope that it won't mean that it'll be the last of the Big 12. Eventually in the future, there will be 2 schools more for the conference to have division alignment format and the revival of its CCG. And I bet that Florida State (my Noles) won't be on the list to be considered as an expansion candidate. They should have like Arkansas or LSU or Miami or Tulsa (won't happen because they will be in the old Big East, I mean, AAC).

I can't see any reason why the Big 12 would have either LSU or Arkansas on their list of expansion candidates. Neither one of the schools would be very likely to move. They are happy where they are and will make a ton of money when the SEC Network starts.
The Big 12 should focus on teams that they have a reasonable shot at, teams like FSU, Louisville, Clemson, Georgia Tech and maybe Miami. That is if the Big 12 decides to expand. I don't think BYU would be a bad candidate either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hendu1976fl wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

I can't see any reason why the Big 12 would have either LSU or Arkansas on their list of expansion candidates. Neither one of the schools would be very likely to move. They are happy where they are and will make a ton of money when the SEC Network starts.
The Big 12 should focus on teams that they have a reasonable shot at, teams like FSU, Louisville, Clemson, Georgia Tech and maybe Miami. That is if the Big 12 decides to expand. I don't think BYU would be a bad candidate either.

That's your opinion, and I respect that. But please, keep FSU out of this! The Noles will stay as ACC-bound, no matter what! If only the early stages of this decade's conference realignment, the Big 12 would never cancelled their CCG and the Big TEN and the Pac-12 would never have a CCG of their own, including the WAC being forced to drop football.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

FSU is not leaving for the B12. Neither is Clemson (very tied to the ACC) or any other current ACC school is planning to head out there. Look deeper at Bowlsby message---the B12 is really unable to get any of them right now, so you portray how wonderful "10" is. However, the sentiment to remain at '10", for now, appears genuine. Really, the ACC would have to break apart or get gutted by the B1G w/ the SEC first, and then the B12 pursues certain remnants among the remainder. The SEC doesn't seek to further expand right now nor has a known agenda to dissolve the ACC in some conspiracy; and the B1G is finding bumps, making them at least to take a long pause, in any agenda to head deeper south.

Maybe FSU's situation in the ACC is not ideal. But why make it worse? That's not a bad rap on the B12. Schools have to consider travel, locations, logistics, net enticements, costs, traditional rivalries, loyalties, terms, recruiting, compatibilities, accesses, etc. for such changes.

FSU would fit fine in the SEC. But that scenario is not on the table for the time being.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:18 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

SEC03- I wasn't saying that I think Clemson or FSU or any of the other schools were likely to move at this point. But I think they are more likely to move than LSU or Arkansas. However, that being said, IF Maryland wins their case and has their exit fee greatly reduced, then I believe the Big 10 will make moves for other teams, most likely from the ACC. I could be wrong and I am willing to admit that. But if the Big 10 did make more moves, then I believe the SEC would also make a move or two as well. There is no guarantee that any of the ACC teams would make the move, but if they wanted to make more money off TV contracts, UNC indicated they want to make a lot more money, then their best bet would be to move to either the Big 10 or the SEC. If, and I know that is a big if right now, but if 4 or 5 members of the ACC left, would the schools that were left behind not take an offer to join the Big 12?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hendu1976fl wrote:
SEC03- I wasn't saying that I think Clemson or FSU or any of the other schools were likely to move at this point. But I think they are more likely to move than LSU or Arkansas. However, that being said, IF Maryland wins their case and has their exit fee greatly reduced, then I believe the Big 10 will make moves for other teams, most likely from the ACC. I could be wrong and I am willing to admit that. But if the Big 10 did make more moves, then I believe the SEC would also make a move or two as well. There is no guarantee that any of the ACC teams would make the move, but if they wanted to make more money off TV contracts, UNC indicated they want to make a lot more money, then their best bet would be to move to either the Big 10 or the SEC. If, and I know that is a big if right now, but if 4 or 5 members of the ACC left, would the schools that were left behind not take an offer to join the Big 12?

I understand your point and basically agree. What is unsure, who moves first. The B1G could start it again, but they may have to lure a couple (GT?) to really get to whom they really want. I'm not sure the B1G wants to take that risk unless they become more sure of the outcome.

If the ACC breaks, which I am not convinced shall happen anytime soon, but know the ACC is still a bit shaky, FSU could bind with the B12 if it's the best option for them. They would probably want others to come along and add to some sort of eastern-type division. FSU, alone at this time, I doubt it.

I did see the UNC article about finances. I can see the implication that they could move to gain a lot more. But that was not specifically stated. UNC has long been the politicall and operational core of the ACC and they will not want to reliquish that so easily. But, I don't believe conferences have the full control of their destinies anymore, so change with all this would be no suprise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:51 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

sec03 wrote:
hendu1976fl wrote:

I understand your point and basically agree. What is unsure, who moves first. The B1G could start it again, but they may have to lure a couple (GT?) to really get to whom they really want. I'm not sure the B1G wants to take that risk unless they become more sure of the outcome.

If the ACC breaks, which I am not convinced shall happen anytime soon, but know the ACC is still a bit shaky, FSU could bind with the B12 if it's the best option for them. They would probably want others to come along and add to some sort of eastern-type division. FSU, alone at this time, I doubt it.

I did see the UNC article about finances. I can see the implication that they could move to gain a lot more. But that was not specifically stated. UNC has long been the politicall and operational core of the ACC and they will not want to reliquish that so easily. But, I don't believe conferences have the full control of their destinies anymore, so change with all this would be no suprise.

I don't believe I articulated my point very well in the beginning. I think FSU would move to the Big 12 if the money was right, in other words better than in the ACC, as well as they must have travel partners. I can't see FSU joining the Big 12 if they only expand to 12 teams. Travel for football would be bad enough, but for the non-revenue sports that would put the 'Noles in a similar position to West Virginia. If the Big 12 were to step up and add maybe 4 schools such as FSU, Louisville, Clemson, and Georgia Tech then the Noles might be more interested. Especially, and this is key, if the ACC were to start to crumble. Without the league falling apart I don't know if the 'Noles would be interested in leaving even if they had travel partners. I know they weren't thrilled with the TV deal they signed. If the Maryland case goes the way of Maryland, then I think there may be a free for all for the best teams in the ACC.

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned the Big 10 might have to lure somebody, like GT, to get to whom they really want. Who are you suggesting they really want? FSU?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

UNC & UVA would be prime targets for the B1G. They could keep trying for Notre Dame. Getting them is another matter. B1G is setting up their new divisions with 14, so the expectation is they shall fall into that format for awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:49 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

sec03 wrote:
UNC & UVA would be prime targets for the B1G. They could keep trying for Notre Dame. Getting them is another matter. B1G is setting up their new divisions with 14, so the expectation is they shall fall into that format for awhile.

From what I have read, the SEC also has strong interest in UNC. Do you think it is UNC and Duke or nothing at all at this point in the realignment game?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:56 pm 
Senior
Senior

and just like that, the ACC is now more secure than the Big 12.

Big 12 GOR thru 2024-2025
ACC GOR thru 2026-2027

looks like the B1g 12 is the next to be picked apart but first a 12 year nap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article in Washington Post with comments from Big 12 Commish regarding possible changes to his league's bowl lineup at http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co ... story.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:14 pm 
Senior
Senior

Now that the ACC is pretty much off limits, does the XII even consider expanding? I wouldn't think so unless they desperately want a CCG and the NCAA refuses to allow one with a 10-team conference. If that's the case, I absolutely do not see the XII going past 12 teams because of the lack of quality left. I would pick Cincinnati first, then it gets dicey. Who's left? Houston, BYU, Boise St, UCONN, Temple, USF, UCF? I don't see the XII heading in a western direction, especially with WVU already in the conference. So probably a Florida school like USF, but then they're so far away from almost everyone else. That would leave either Temple or UConn. They could grab Houston, but I don't think they want a 5th Texas team. Any guesses?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:10 am 
All-Star
All-Star

seanbo wrote:
looks like the B1g 12 is the next to be picked apart but first a 12 year nap

Depends on their GoR agreement and if the efforts of the PAC, SEC, B1G, and ACC can convince the majority of the conference to dissolve it. I'll believe we're in detente when they expand to 12+, not just because of the proactiveness of the conference, but because how desperate members 11+ will be to join and stay.

The PAC's still lurking around there, too. Miffing the B1G-PAC and still having their network access issues isn't going to make for a quiet decade on that coast.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:44 pm 
Senior
Senior

The way the GoR may work is that it is money the school will never see if the school leaves for elsewhere. It'll be revenue, the school cannot collect, detained and controlled by the former conference for the defined terms of time. On the hand, the exit fee is money the school has (or will have or borrow to disburse), and thus can rebel and/or challenge the fee demanded. So, it makes sense the GoR looks to be more powerful, comparatively. But what are the details and fine print? Are there any outlets that denote exceptions? A conference could dissolve or modify the agreement by whatever vote would be required. But they would not do it for one school. Thus, near all members would need to have certain guarantees for something better. Hypothetically, a school such as WVU could challenge it if they were offered membership elsewhere in a preferred conference. It could be court-tested, just like several have done, or still doing, as to exit fees. The legal haggling that would be involved, in itself, may be almost enough to deter some from thinking about leaving.

It would seem the B12 is the next conference to make a move. If they were waiting for the ACC to break by new raids from more eastern conferences, that could now be off the table. The B12 still has the question if they are willing to find at least two more for a CCG.

The ACC had passed on WVU and the B12 passed on Louisville. Had these decisions been more thoughtful, strategic, and less petty for the long-term, better designs may have happened. Well, it helped Louisville at least.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Big 12's bowls are going to suck...

Lose the Fiesta bowl for nothing...one less bowl (I know the Big 12 will likely always seed a team in the playoffs but if they miss its unlikely anyone but TX/OU will get picked as an at large in the one of the possible two non playoff at large spots.
Lose the Cotton for the Sugar still against SEC...no complaints but loved the Cotton
Alamo now #2 against PAC12 which is okay but it's no Cotton.
Keep Wild Wings Bowl but swap Big Ten for another PAC12...used to not like having 2 bowls in PHX so keeping this one while losing the Fiesta is good but swapping BT for P12 is less than ideal.
Lose the Holiday vs P12 for the Russell(old Champs) vs ACC...really liked Holiday and was only annual Cali bowl but is still good they got a FL bowl though would have liked both.
Keeping Meineke Car Whatever Houston bowl though no idea against who yet...yawn nobody from Big12 country likes going to Houston.
Lose the Pinstripe in NYC (great travel location) for the Liberty in Memphis (yuk) likely against the new American conference.
And uncertain on what the 7th bowl will be but with the Cotton Bowl gone they'd likely keep the old Cotton Bowl aka the Heart of Dallas Bowl which seemed dumb to have both just a ways down I-30 but now I guess it makes sense.

So...
Fiesta>Nothing
Cotton=Sugar
Alamo is fine but awkard at #2
BWW is better w/o Fiesta but BT>P12
Holiday>Russell
Houston is still blah (hopefully stays against BT)
Pinstripe>Liberty
Heart of Dallas at 7 is sad but at least it's a DFW bowl.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3070 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 205  Next