NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:15 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:37 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
so why 11? Siena heading to the A10 after the Catholic dominoes fall?

Or maybe Central Connecticut St to America East or Robert Morris to the Horizon. Maybe there are a few more athletic facility improvements they want Wagner to make before inclusion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
so why 11? Siena heading to the A10 after the Catholic dominoes fall?

Or maybe Central Connecticut St to America East or Robert Morris to the Horizon. Maybe there are a few more athletic facility improvements they want Wagner to make before inclusion.

The article freaked posted sounded like they turned down the invite because they were worried the NEC would kick their football out of the conf.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Trenton with comments from MAAC Commish who indicates that his league is still interested in adding a 12th school but probably not until after the BE BB schools make their moves.He apparently is interested in adding a Philly area school if possible.Link at http://www.trentonian.com/article/20121 ... h-on-board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:10 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

well thats interesting. St. Joe's and LaSalle are not likely to leave the A10, but Drexel may very well want a new home should the CAA become undesireable after an A10 raid which they are not apart of

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:16 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Trenton with comments from MAAC Commish who indicates that his league is still interested in adding a 12th school but probably not until after the BE BB schools make their moves.He apparently is interested in adding a Philly area school if possible.Link at http://www.trentonian.com/article/20121 ... h-on-board

I thought the same...a Philly school would make the most sense. But with so few options, adding Robert Morris in Pitt seemed better (adding another western schools with Niagara and Canisius). But who can they get in Philly other than LaSalle (former MAAC member) or St. Joes? There is Drexel in the CAA and that's about it. I just dont' see a depleted A10, even if losing 5 schools, as being weak enough to warrant LaSalle or St. Joes leaving. Sure, one could argue that St. B or LaSalle could leave for the MAAC to improve their chance of doing well, but both have had up-seasons of late in the A10. If the A10 lost schools, they'd improve their chances and have a bigger TV payout in the A10 versus the MAAC.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

if a10 takes some top caa schools, Drexel may just say screw it and find stability in the MAAC. St Joe's or LaSalle would be ideal but like you said they are not likely to leave and could rebuild an A10 Fordham, St Bony, GWU and a Richmond school and still be alright.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

accseahawk wrote:
if a10 takes some top caa schools, Drexel may just say screw it and find stability in the MAAC. St Joe's or LaSalle would be ideal but like you said they are not likely to leave and could rebuild an A10 Fordham, St Bony, GWU and a Richmond school and still be alright.

Other than that, it's just wishful thinking on the MAAC's part.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of Albany with comments from Siena President who claims that he has not been contacted (yet?) by the A-10 but is currently very very happy in the MAAC.Link at http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesport ... c-10/15853

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article in Fairfield paper with comments from Fairfield AD and others regarding "possibility" that Fairfield will be leaving the MAAC in the future at http://fairfieldmirror.com/2013/04/24/s ... conference

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article in Fairfield paper with comments from Fairfield AD and others regarding "possibility" that Fairfield will be leaving the MAAC in the future at http://fairfieldmirror.com/2013/04/24/s ... conference

Nice find...I said on another thread that I think Fairfield may be a target for the Patriot if they grab W&M as #11.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

Nice find...I said on another thread that I think Fairfield may be a target for the Patriot if they grab W&M as #11.

Fairfield to the CAA but not CCSU that has football. What about Big South, SoCon schools? What about Stony Brook and Albany for all sport?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:29 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

am I the only one who takes pause and thinks "is the CAA necessarily BETTER than the MAAC in basketball?" Iona, Siena, Fairfield have been pretty respectable. Quinnipiac is on the way up.

The future CAA is 8-29 in the NCAA tourney.
The future MAAC is 17-44 in the NCAA tourney.

I'm almost at the point with trying to figure out the CAA, MAAC, Big South and SoCon, where I think they should just all get together in one big meeting and re-organize themselves into something that makes sense. Because right now, they're all "conference realignment losers" and no one is winning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:02 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

What I find strange is that the MAAC went to 11 - was Siena presumed to be off to the Atlantic 10 before George Mason or Davidson took their spot?

I would love to see the MAAC, America East, and SoCon team up and just kill the CAA. The MAAC can add Hofstra and Northeastern (Siena to A-10). America East then gets Delaware, Drexel, and Towson and sponsors football. The SoCon takes CofC back, and adds William & Mary, UNCW, and James Madison (if JMU doesn't go FBS)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
What I find strange is that the MAAC went to 11 - was Siena presumed to be off to the Atlantic 10 before George Mason or Davidson took their spot?

I think the MAAC knew it was losing one more, but I don't know if it was only Siena giving the departure vibes. Actually, I figured Fairfield to be more likely than Siena. CAA or Patriot-bait.

JPSchmack wrote:
am I the only one who takes pause and thinks "is the CAA necessarily BETTER than the MAAC in basketball?" Iona, Siena, Fairfield have been pretty respectable. Quinnipiac is on the way up.

The perception of the CAA is definitely not where or what it ought to be.

And if Fairfield gets in over Stony, Albany, or Vermont...good lord, just die already.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:39 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I think the football dynamic might be at play - if America East is wounded badly, Maine and New Hampshire, who play football in the CAA, will be upset. The other part of it is that America East isn't greatly outnumbered anymore on the football field:

America East - Albany, Stony Brook, UNH, Maine
CAA - Delaware, Towson, William & Mary, James Madison
Big East - Villanova
Atlantic 10 - Rhode Island, Richmond

Lose JMU and/or Delaware to FBS and CAA football becomes America East football.

The football-playing schools are actually the minority of the CAA next year now that College of Charleston is on board. Why would Charleston want to create a conference like the one they're leaving?

Last edited by wbyeager on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next