NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:33 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 62  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:50 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't see basketball-only membership happening, especially with NMSU hanging out there. I think we're only weeks away from hearing about a Big East/WCC cross-over series. And really, I don't know what Gonzaga's incentive is...they climbed the mountain in that conference. They could do it again, without having to compete against some of these MWC schools who WILL try to beat GU at their game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:54 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I don't see basketball-only membership happening, especially with NMSU hanging out there. I think we're only weeks away from hearing about a Big East/WCC cross-over series. And really, I don't know what Gonzaga's incentive is...they climbed the mountain in that conference. They could do it again, without having to compete against some of these MWC schools who WILL try to beat GU at their game.

Honestly, in a perfect world, I would love to see BYU be added as a full member in the MWC, along with maybe UH, SMU, and maybe UTEP or Tulsa with Gonzaga and St. Mary's as non-football members to get to 18. HOWEVER, after the Big East debacle with football and non-football programs, I would like to keep the football and non-football programs separated. I would hate to see the MWC go the way of the Big East.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:42 pm 
Junior
Junior

BeP, I would not like to see BYU in the MWC! They have left and are happy where they are at. The MWC needs to go after schools that they can get. The grab for UTEP would be a good move. I also think that New Mexico St. would be a good addition for travel and partnership with both UTEP, and New Mexico. To get further into Texas, the addition of Houston and UTSA would get two additional good schools. If you are going north, I would grab both UNT and SMU to cover Dallas. Of these six schools, I cannot see SMU or UNT going to the MWC. The others are probables, and UTEP and New Mexico St. are almost slam dunks to go in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:
BeP, I would not like to see BYU in the MWC! They have left and are happy where they are at. The MWC needs to go after schools that they can get. The grab for UTEP would be a good move. I also think that New Mexico St. would be a good addition for travel and partnership with both UTEP, and New Mexico. To get further into Texas, the addition of Houston and UTSA would get two additional good schools. If you are going north, I would grab both UNT and SMU to cover Dallas. Of these six schools, I cannot see SMU or UNT going to the MWC. The others are probables, and UTEP and New Mexico St. are almost slam dunks to go in.

UTEP never wants to be in a conf. w/ NMSU and NMSU sucks! We don't need or want them. SBC or bust for them.

We won't take the Zags and I doubt they want to come. So short of BYU coming back for all sports(doubt it) we stay at 12 or add UTEP and UTSA down the road.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't see what UTEP and (particularly) UTSA would add to the MWC at this point. 12 is a good number.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
Honestly, in a perfect world, I would love to see BYU be added as a full member in the MWC, along with maybe UH, SMU, and maybe UTEP or Tulsa with Gonzaga and St. Mary's as non-football members to get to 18. HOWEVER, after the Big East debacle with football and non-football programs, I would like to keep the football and non-football programs separated. I would hate to see the MWC go the way of the Big East.

They kind of already run this model considering Hawaii's situation. And that the conference won't be making tons of money off its media deals, who knows what they do...split or issue additional associate member cards?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:07 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
They kind of already run this model considering Hawaii's situation. And that the conference won't be making tons of money off its media deals, who knows what they do...split or issue additional associate member cards?

I don't like that Hawaii does that. It seems a little weak, be full-time or don't (unless the situation is otherwise like a school without football). That being said, Hawaii would get destroyed in MW basketball.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:53 pm 
Junior
Junior

Fresno St. Alum:
I agree that the New Mexico St. football team sucks, however is still a good travel partner for UTEP and New Mexico. I also hear that the New Mexico St. basketball team is good so that may offset the hurt of bringing them in some. (maybe?) I think the magic number is 16. to get there you need to get 4 more. 12 is good and stable, but 16 is the charm. This is also assuming that the PAC12 does not come calling in desperation to get to 16 themselves! This would give a buffer for that kind of raid, and add additional territory to get into the Texas market. (great for recruiting) However I do recall somewhere that in the agreement to bring in Hawaii, there would be no going east into Texas or further east than New Mexico. If this is the case, then going to 16, or being able to save the CCG after a PAC12 raid would be near impossible without bringing in some FCS schools or Idaho, and New Mexico St. - My thoughts.
P.S. - I love discussing these things with you, as you really get me to think hard on my reply's! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum:
I agree that the New Mexico St. football team sucks, however is still a good travel partner for UTEP and New Mexico. I also hear that the New Mexico St. basketball team is good so that may offset the hurt of bringing them in some. (maybe?) I think the magic number is 16. to get there you need to get 4 more. 12 is good and stable, but 16 is the charm. This is also assuming that the PAC12 does not come calling in desperation to get to 16 themselves! This would give a buffer for that kind of raid, and add additional territory to get into the Texas market. (great for recruiting) However I do recall somewhere that in the agreement to bring in Hawaii, there would be no going east into Texas or further east than New Mexico. If this is the case, then going to 16, or being able to save the CCG after a PAC12 raid would be near impossible without bringing in some FCS schools or Idaho, and New Mexico St. - My thoughts.
P.S. - I love discussing these things with you, as you really get me to think hard on my reply's! Thanks!

If only we cared about travel partners, Commish Hair told NMSU they won't be invited and to move on to plan B. I don't know how much more of a no he could give. Pac like you said would go to Texas none of us are worth it b/c none of us bring in $$$ to raise their per school amount. Only school would be BSU but they'll never cave on academics for a Truck Driver JUCO move up(probably never). If anything maybe one day B12 adds BSU & BYU but even that would be stretching the conf. pretty far e/w. They kind of made it clear they'll need to fill the WVU gap w/ at least 1 of their next 2 members.

Like Westwolf said 12 is the right # for us for now. When the contract opens up again maybe the networks tell us to get into tx maybe not. If we go to 14 one day I'd put my money of a combo of BYU/UTEP or UTEP/UTSA. Right now only BYU would raise our bottom line and they're not coming. Adding 4 would just eat into our weak 1.5 mill per school avg. I don't know if that Hawaii rule is true but UTEP and NMSU are right on top of each other so I'm sure Hawaii is okay w/ UTEP.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

CBSSports blog article reporting that MWC wants to start a scheduling alliance with the PAC 12 at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... artnership

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:11 am 
Senior
Senior

freaked4collegefb wrote:
CBSSports blog article reporting that MWC wants to start a scheduling alliance with the PAC 12 at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... artnership

This would be a great move for the MW. No one expects you to win so you don't lose anything but if you do win then the MW gets more credibility. Not sure if the PAC would want to risk propping up their neighbor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:20 pm 
Junior
Junior

I like it! The PAC gets some decent mid teams to get wins on and the MWC get exposure playing the big guys. The problem is the 4 team playoffs coming. A harder schedule can get you one of the 4 coveted positions in the playoffs. Does the PAC really want to jeopardize this by playing MWC games?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:53 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:

I am curious as to how this will be different from their current arrangement. Most Pac 12 teams already play a MWC team each year and vice versa. Perhaps the MWC is going to use a formal scheduling agreement to put the squeeze on BYU because if each Pac 12 team has 9 conference games and a 10th against a MWC foe spoken they are less likely to schedule the Cougars.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:11 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

I am curious as to how this will be different from their current arrangement. Most Pac 12 teams already play a MWC team each year and vice versa. Perhaps the MWC is going to use a formal scheduling agreement to put the squeeze on BYU because if each Pac 12 team has 9 conference games and a 10th against a MWC foe spoken they are less likely to schedule the Cougars.

I know we already play Oregon, Washington, Cal, Oregon St., Colorado over that last few years. We had CU and UO last year. CU this year, USC and Utah in 2014, 2 Pac games is enough. Maybe UNM and CSU need to play more games vs them?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

With only a few weeks ahead, the first season of the MWC will have division play (along with its first CCG) will start. But looks very awkward to see a conference with 11 full members (one additional football-only member in Hawaii, who should had join as a full member in the MW in my opinion). I believe that the MW should have time in the future to find a suitable non-football member for all sports. Sadly, neither Idaho nor New Mexico State are "qualified" under the MWC staff's minds.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 62  Next