NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:36 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: A10 Realignment
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
go back and look I said Stony Brook and also said they're a better option than Hofstra. It just sounds like Siena is the team. MAAC sitting at 11 probably figuring they'll lose Siena. Siena has a big arena and been to the tourney 6 times, last time in 2010. SBU 0 times, Northeastern 7 times, none since 1991, Hofstra 4 times, none since 2001.

Yeah, I'm reading a lot of Siena-talk, too. But, there was also Siena-C7 stuff, too, so who knows.

Where I think SB may leapfrog a Siena is how SB's spreading their resources around its entire AD. It's one thing to have good hoops, and Siena's got SB beat on that front in spades, but SB's probably going to represent the conference competently in other sports. Plus, it doesn't hurt SB any that they're so close to the city.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:46 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

CAA would be wise to push for Stony Brook to join a CAA northern division. They are a growing program

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

It will be interesting to see who the next school to join the A-10 will be after GMU. I think it might depend on whether it is Dayton or Richmond will be going to the nBE (alongside St Louis). Whether or not the A-10 wants to have a north and south division could also be a factor. I'm guessing that Duquesne and Dayton will be put in the South with the Virginia schools that gives the north 6 schools--URI, UMASS, Fordham, St Bona, LaSalle, and St Joe's. This probably means a NC or other southern school for #12. If JMU could get themselves the same deal UMass has with the MAC they could potentially fill the #12 spot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

St. Louis has been the outlier for so long that I don't think it's on the A10 to accommodate them with western programs who also aren't fussy about all the eastern travel. The same went for Charlotte. I think the A10 should reach out to WSU, Missouri State, UNI, and maybe the two ISU's of the MVC, but more practically...maybe St. Louis should just join the Missouri Valley.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
St. Louis has been the outlier for so long that I don't think it's on the A10 to accommodate them with western programs who also aren't fussy about all the eastern travel. The same went for Charlotte. I think the A10 should reach out to WSU, Missouri State, UNI, and maybe the two ISU's of the MVC, but more practically...maybe St. Louis should just join the Missouri Valley.

Creighton is gone. The MVC isn't such a great option with it's best program gone. Not when St. Louis can ride out the A10 with Dayton, VCU, as well as some other NIT caliber programs like Richmond, St. Joes, UMass, etc.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
Creighton is gone. The MVC isn't such a great option with it's best program gone. Not when St. Louis can ride out the A10 with Dayton, VCU, as well as some other NIT caliber programs like Richmond, St. Joes, UMass, etc.

As tough as it is to admit, I like the depth and parity of a Creighton-less MVC over an A10 minus Xavier, Temple, Butler, and Charlotte.

Being the western-most member of a conference that's lost its biggest guns doesn't make SLU a safe investment no matter how you slice it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:06 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
As tough as it is to admit, I like the depth and parity of a Creighton-less MVC over an A10 minus Xavier, Temple, Butler, and Charlotte.

Being the western-most member of a conference that's lost its biggest guns doesn't make SLU a safe investment no matter how you slice it.

depth and parity is kind of a detriment at times. There's a redundancy to conference play. Everyone's success in conference comes at someone else's expense.

So if the MVC is a free for all with teams all the same and you're going to have nine teams between 9-7 an 7-9 conference, everyone is playing to the middle.

Having some bad teams is actually a good thing: You want clear levels of teams: one-third Top 50 teams, one-third 51-100 teams, and one-third winning OOC games and getting stomped in conference.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I actually like the look of the A-10 right now.

You have the NE/NY 4--URI, UMass, Fordham, St. Bonaventure

the PA/OH 4--LaSalle, St Joeseph's, Duquesne, Dayton

And the VA 4--Geo. Washington, Geo. Mason, VCU, and Richmond

...and then odd ball St Louis who is likely to be gone in the next yr or two anyway. While losing them will suck due to their RPI and recent tournament runs their loss will mean getting rid of a giant albatross. Seems to me like there is no reason to change the A-10 until they know whether it will be Dayton or Richmond who goes with them to the Big East.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Why would St.Louis join the MVC for a year or 2 just to leave for the BE when they decide on 12, they said 12 is going to happen, just no time table for it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Why would St.Louis join the MVC for a year or 2 just to leave for the BE when they decide on 12, they said 12 is going to happen, just no time table for it.

Assuming SLU is chosen within a year or two, it wouldn't matter. If it doesn't happen in that period, I think they shortchange themselves. The MVC's practically the same conference depth-wise and it's closer to home.

By going to Creighton, the C7+/Big East have probably, I assume, laid their cards out as to where they're going. They're concentrated and numerous in the east, so I think that should rule out VCU and Richmond and balance the conference in the west, with either SLU, Dayton, or one of the other MVC'ers. Frankly, I think the C7+/Big East shouldn't focus on "weakening" the A10, which it is doing (probably purposely), because the A10 will easily be able to fill in their gaps with any number of schools, big or small, public or private, who want to play in a solid mid-major basketball conference. The C7+/Big East has a geography issue on its hands, and if it thinks a "Column A & B" of Richmond or VCU and St. Louis or Dayton makes it a more geographic-friendly conference, the joke's on them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:42 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

With the a10 looking to add Davidson would they be willing to take southern members uncw and Coc to pair with Davidson? It would work out well once st Louis and Dayton move on
Coc UNCW Davidson VCU Richmond GMU GWU
LaSalle St Joe's Duquesne St bony Fordham UMass Uri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:12 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

accseahawk wrote:
With the a10 looking to add Davidson would they be willing to take southern members uncw and Coc to pair with Davidson? It would work out well once st Louis and Dayton move on
Coc UNCW Davidson VCU Richmond GMU GWU
LaSalle St Joe's Duquesne St bony Fordham UMass Uri

My gut says not a chance. UNCW brings very little to the table across the board. Davidson is enough of a potential mistake, since they are such a small school with such low attendance and resources. But they have had much success over the past decade with so many NCAA trips, that they fall into the system the A10 likes of late via Butler, VCU...in other words, tourney share contributors.

Cof C is interesting since they do offer a few things. But with Davidson as #14, there is less need for CofC. If the A10 were to lose 2 schools the next round, maybe CofC makes the discussion. But Siena is right there as 1B for the spot after Davidson, they were close in previous years. So I'd think it would take something special by CofC to even be considered (say 4-5 tourney appearances, some tourney wins).

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

A10 adding Davidson tomorrow http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ource-says

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Atlantic 10 site release with official announcement that Davidson will be joining that league at http://www.atlantic10.com/genrel/050813aab.html

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:53 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

18 conference games? Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next