NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 128  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:03 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

sec03 wrote:
I agree, schools such as BYU, Cincy, UConn, etc., may be the real expansion pool for the major conferences right now.

I think UConn's screwed. They are literally at the mercy of BC and UMass.

And I like both BC and UMass's chances in the B1G than UConn. ACC won't touch UConn until BC isn't a part of it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

A lot of that bad blood between BC and UConn had to do with comments and stuff between Jim Calhoun at UConn (I think he was AD then) and Gene DeFillipo at BC,
in the wake of the ACC raid of 2003.
Both guys have had bouts with cancer. Both have retired (DeFillipo in 2012). So I suspect much of that animosity will fade or has faded.

BC could still want to protect their New England turf.
However, after Maryland moved to the B1G last year, UConn was seriously considered as their replacement.
Louisville won out, perhaps based on their success in football (BE champ, winning Orange Bowl, a BCS game, BE basketball champ, en route to repeating and at some point, a #1 ranking).

I was really surprised that once Louisville was in play, the Big XII didn't jump in and invite them. I think they screwed up.
Had they done so, I think UConn would have their ACC invitation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Why would the B1G possibly interested in UMass?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:02 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

westwolf wrote:

Bigger than UConn (not just UMass system, but Amherst alone), fields more sports than UConn (that differential being men's lacrosse), supposedly close to AAU (if that even means anything), and a better market access. If the Big Ten needs to go into the Northeast, UMass gives the Big Ten that region's biggest school.

I'll put it out there: UMass is the new and next Rutgers. If they figure it out up there, it's going to create fits for BC and UConn.

BC isn't the only way to Boston.

tute79 wrote:
A lot of that bad blood between BC and UConn had to do with comments and stuff between Jim Calhoun at UConn (I think he was AD then) and Gene DeFillipo at BC,
in the wake of the ACC raid of 2003.
Both guys have had bouts with cancer. Both have retired (DeFillipo in 2012). So I suspect much of that animosity will fade or has faded.

BC could still want to protect their New England turf.
However, after Maryland moved to the B1G last year, UConn was seriously considered as their replacement.
Louisville won out, perhaps based on their success in football (BE champ, winning Orange Bowl, a BCS game, BE basketball champ, en route to repeating and at some point, a #1 ranking).

I was really surprised that once Louisville was in play, the Big XII didn't jump in and invite them. I think they screwed up.
Had they done so, I think UConn would have their ACC invitation.

UConn football needs to win consistently and compete nationally if it ever hopes to get back to the top. I don't like their chances, and they have to look out for Cincy, who is way ahead of them in football.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:58 pm 
Junior
Junior

OK Bishin, I'll bite on U. Mass, but if they get in who is 16? Does the B1G then raid the SEC for Missouri? No exit fee and no Grant-of-Rights. Outside of them, who else? U. Mass and Missouri make the most sense in an east-west add to keep balance in the conference.
How about a SEC raid for Missouri and Vanderbilt? Or Vanderbilt and U. Mass?
What do you guys think? Which makes the most sense?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:04 pm 
Senior
Senior

NorwichCat11 wrote:
OK Bishin, I'll bite on U. Mass, but if they get in who is 16? Does the B1G then raid the SEC for Missouri? No exit fee and no Grant-of-Rights. Outside of them, who else? U. Mass and Missouri make the most sense in an east-west add to keep balance in the conference.

If I had a vote that mattered at all, I would vote for Missouri and Vanderbilt. While UMass has the Boston market and a large alumni following, I'd rather see Missouri because they just fit, and Vanderbilt because the SEC treats them like a doormat. Missouri belongs in the B1G and Vanderbilt deserves a fresh start.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

No one is leaving the SEC.
Not having the GoR & exit fee when it comes to the SEC is not a matter of protectionism or disagreement.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:06 pm 
Senior
Senior

Vanderbilt is unlike any other school in the SEC.
It is the only private school in the SEC.
Its student body and alumni are unlike any other school in the SEC.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:22 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

westwolf wrote:

Maybe if there were some sort of rapture and there weren't AAC, Big 12, MWC schools that could be added.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:12 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quinn wrote:
westwolf wrote:

Maybe if there were some sort of rapture and there weren't AAC, Big 12, MWC schools that could be added.

They said this of Rutgers, too, don't forget. And that's where some of this comes from, but I also realize UMass has a ****-ton of work to get themselves "in shape," and it's not just athletics, which is the easier component to address.

UConn is never going to get the B1G into Boston, and Buffalo's got a SUNY problem where they'll never get flagship designation or deep state support without schools like Albany, Stony Brook, and Binghamton also getting a share. UB2020 was supposed to be this big revitalization effort to propel UB and Buffalo in general back into the modern era and into the top academic echelon. The brainchild retired, and NY state politics steered a lot of these efforts into the ground, including the stadium renovation, which would have been H-U-G-E.

But UMass Amherst is the flagship, and UMass is a huge system, and they've clearly been trying to get to that land-grant AAU model for decades. And while their football had an abysmal start, look at who they are playing the next few years in the non-conference. When it would be easier to take drives down the coast with other ACC school, these guys are going into the interior of the country. Their football is attempting to peg itself to other midwest schools outside of the MAC. They want to start something there.

It all assumes a lot of other factors, including UConn's whereabouts, but if this "detente" among the majors does come to be, yeah...I think UMass can make a giant leap upward. It could be a very good 10-12 years up in Amherst. If they can survive the Gillette Stadium stint, with UConn's predicament and the MAC GoR therein, yeah...they're in decent shape.

If it goes to 16...Kansas becomes #15 and UMass #16 (with the hope that the B1G can catch a much bigger fish). I think they'll give Nebraska and Iowa a plaything that will get the conference into the remaining "unclaimed" markets of the Midwest. Personally, I think they're missing the boat with Pitt, but if UMass is anywhere in this, no way in heck does Pitt ever resurface.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

CBSSports blog article with comments from Big Ten Commish regarding past league expansion talks at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -expansion

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Personally, I think they're missing the boat with Pitt, but if UMass is anywhere in this, no way in heck does Pitt ever resurface.

Pitt's glory days sort of went downhill when scholarship limits were enacted. I recall, though now long ago, Johnny Majors saying something to the effect that he find more top quality players in the City of Pittsburgh & its 'burbs, than the whole State of Tennessee.

Pitt will be playing another short series with Penn State, but losing that regular series, I believe, was not good for the Pitt program. Also, ending the series with WVU is really dumb. They put money on ND who will now be in ACC rotation with Pitt. Pitt has not been a great draw anyway, and diminishing close-by rivalry games, the detrimental impact shall continue to show. Pitt shall get security and more money in the ACC, and it will be great for bb perhaps, but I would not be suprised to see sustained fb mediocrity at Pitt in the ACC. While the B1G could be the best of all worlds for Pitt, given their location, Pitt is just not a serious B1G candidate.

That said, I think conferences are really missing out on certain value when they outright dismiss in-footprint additions. 'Rival intensity' keeps interest high. Short distances for travel for fans and teams helps in multiple ways, though it's more concentrated TV, the thought goes. But national audiences & sponsors also like huge in-state and competitive, neighbor rivalry games, and large, enthusiastic stadium crowds.

Efforts to break apart Kansas-KSU; OU-OSU, etc. in the name of mega-conferences, is really shameful. Bitterness, envy, and retaliation, have, for now, cost Mizzou-Kansas, Texas-Texas A&M, Pitt-WVU, etc. Strange so many of them involve some association with the Big 12. Changing conferences, in itself, does not have to end great rivalry games. There are four SEC-ACC in-state rivalry games that have survived. But even then, it does impact conference scheduling.

I just think it is the Big 12, even with the forced GoR, where the feeling of being tight bonded, is most fragile.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:30 am 
Senior
Senior

freaked4collegefb wrote:
CBSSports blog article with comments from Big Ten Commish regarding past league expansion talks at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -expansion

More or less 6....?

Signing secret agreements to talk? It really was not so secret. I expect the ACC had a good idea of what Maryland & the B1G were up to, well before the news broke.

Maybe Delany should try to come across as not being so coy, and for a lack of a better phrase,---'on the sneaky side' with whom they are pursuing. It could have been a dash of assumed arrogance as well. Another approach would have been better than the ambiguity that went on.
I understand, the schools that are under discussion, don't want to burn certain bridges either, and set in motion out-of-control reactions.

When Gee suggested there could be "18", later disavowed by others, it helped accelerate activity (such as the ACC's new GoR) elsewhere, that, for the B1G, could run counter to their expansion objectives, whatever that specifically may have been. That's what happened. I'd rather the B1G have said, "this is whom we shall take a serious look at if that school decides to apply". If attempted secrecy was to enhance the possibilities, it somewhat back-fired. Results could not have been any worse, maybe even better, had the B1G been open and forthright about it all.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:18 pm 
Junior
Junior

BePcr07 wrote:
NorwichCat11 wrote:

If I had a vote that mattered at all, I would vote for Missouri and Vanderbilt. While UMass has the Boston market and a large alumni following, I'd rather see Missouri because they just fit, and Vanderbilt because the SEC treats them like a doormat. Missouri belongs in the B1G and Vanderbilt deserves a fresh start.

I've stated it once and I'll say it again, Missouri is NOT going to leave the SEC for the B1G. The B1G had 3 opportunities to get the Tigers in the fold (the 60's, the early 90's and 2010). They decided against it in the 60's and the 90's and took NU in 2010. Three strikes and we're out. The Alumni base has embraced the SEC and is content with the decision. Now all Mizzou has got to do is start actually winning...

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:04 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Somehow we missed this -

Big Ten had a vote and approved new names for divisions (no more "Legends" and "Leaders", it'll be "East" and "West"), and the 14-team alignment will have both Michigan schools + Indiana in the East, both Illinois schools + Purdue in the West.....

this had been tentatively stated earlier, but it has now been officially approved by Big Ten Presidents.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... e/2119055/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 128  Next