NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 78  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:28 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
fighting muskie wrote:
It would be nice if the Summit League commissioner could negotiate new homes for all the members of his shrinking conference:

NDSU, SDSU, USD, and Denver to the Big Sky
IUPUI and IPFW to the Horizon
WIU to either the Horizon or OVC
and poor UNO to the WAC with UMKC

I say this because, aside from raiding the WAC, NKU is the only D-1 school near the footprint who would consider the Summit a good home right now.

If I'm the Summit I offer Chicago St., UTPA, NJIT spots now. Travel would be closer for all of those in the Summit(NJIT is Indy) than the WAC. Then offer UMKC what the WAC offered, 3 Conf tourney's on their home city.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:56 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1016
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
fighting muskie wrote:
It would be nice if the Summit League commissioner could negotiate new homes for all the members of his shrinking conference:

NDSU, SDSU, USD, and Denver to the Big Sky
IUPUI and IPFW to the Horizon
WIU to either the Horizon or OVC
and poor UNO to the WAC with UMKC

I say this because, aside from raiding the WAC, NKU is the only D-1 school near the footprint who would consider the Summit a good home right now.


UNO would still be a great candidate to join the Big Sky if the school only still has its football program (unless otherwise re-instate or revive it). And for the rest of the schools, looks and sounds very fine and fair enough so far, according to this projection.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:55 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 687
Location: Columbus, OH
If no one else can get themselves out of the Summit then hopefully they can convince UMKC to stay and add Chicago St to get to 10 again and the following pairs:

IPFW/IUPUI
WIU/Chicago St
UNO/UMKC
USD/SDSU
NDSU/Denver

These travel arrangements would be far better than what those two schools would experience in the WAC. As far as getting UMKC back in the fold all they really need is for Chicago St to say yes because their loss drops the WAC below the NCAA minimum of 8 schools; naturally UMKC will want to go with the league that is still recognized by the NCAA. Fresno St Alum's suggestion of adding UTPA and NJIT would only further strengthen the Summit's position.

However, I think the Summit is bound to lose members, whether its to the Horizon, OVC, or Big Sky.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:41 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
fighting muskie wrote:
If no one else can get themselves out of the Summit then hopefully they can convince UMKC to stay and add Chicago St to get to 10 again and the following pairs:

IPFW/IUPUI
WIU/Chicago St
UNO/UMKC
USD/SDSU
NDSU/Denver

These travel arrangements would be far better than what those two schools would experience in the WAC. As far as getting UMKC back in the fold all they really need is for Chicago St to say yes because their loss drops the WAC below the NCAA minimum of 8 schools; naturally UMKC will want to go with the league that is still recognized by the NCAA. Fresno St Alum's suggestion of adding UTPA and NJIT would only further strengthen the Summit's position.

However, I think the Summit is bound to lose members, whether its to the Horizon, OVC, or Big Sky.

Yes, timing is key, who strikes and where, on the WAC vs Summit it's who strikes 1st. I'm sure the Summit would strike now if they could but maybe Chi St. and whoever else are waiting to see what else the Horizon does before committing. If they got those 10, I'm sure they could get NMSU and UTPA or UVU.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Summit League Expansion
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 am 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:05 am
Posts: 701
Location: Louisville, KY
UMKC doesn't help the Summit-they don't play baseball. Adding Chicago State and NJIT would work as that gets Summit baseball to six (not counting transitional Omaha), but not Chicago State and UMKC.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:53 am 
Offline
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:05 am
Posts: 3811
Indeed. Interesting times with the Summit and WAC. Chicago St. would have preferred the Summit, but only got a WAC invite. UMKC left the Summit seeing the WAC as an opportunity to succeed...right after Denver left the WAC for what they thought we a better spot, the Summit.

I think the Summit needs to look around for D2 schools in the region first...feel out some MN schools for example. Chicago St. is there for the numbers...for #9 (#8 until UNO finishes the transition)...if the Summit invited them back. The WAC has only Summit schools they can do after. Meanwhile, the Big Sky is sitting there and could give the final blow if they took the Dakota schools.

_________________
Image

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Image
Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:42 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:26 pm
Posts: 399
NJIT?

America East?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:01 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 7418
Article out of Sioux Falls with comments from Summit League Commish regarding league realignment and Oakland leaving at http://www.argusleader.com/article/2013 ... ng-members


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:23 am 
Offline
Junior
Junior

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 pm
Posts: 78
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Sioux Falls with comments from Summit League Commish regarding league realignment and Oakland leaving at http://www.argusleader.com/article/2013 ... ng-members


At least according to the article, it appears baseball is the most pressing issue for the league. If/when the summit expands the school needs to have a baseball team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:19 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1016
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
dgreco wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Sioux Falls with comments from Summit League Commish regarding league realignment and Oakland leaving at http://www.argusleader.com/article/2013 ... ng-members


At least according to the article, it appears baseball is the most pressing issue for the league. If/when the summit expands the school needs to have a baseball team.


That's IF the Summit finds an all-sports full member school with baseball in its athletic program. The contrary would be either dissolve the sport out of the conference or dissolve the conference as a whole by being absorbed with another conference from its nearby area or split some members to other closer area-like conferences (i.e.: Big Sky, in the Dakotas' case; Horizon or MVC).

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:53 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
ctx48c wrote:
NJIT?

America East?

Probably if the Albany to CAA for all sports happens, AEC either takes NJIT or digs into the NEC, then the NEC takes NJIT.

I still think the AEC should invite CCSU, Bryant, Sacred Heart and tell Stony Brook, Maine, UNH, Albany they're starting football. URI would probably join as affiliate. If Albany leaves then bring up Robert Morris or Wagner. At that point NEC can't support fb and the rest of NEC fb could join or go to the Pioneer.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:52 pm 
Offline
Freshman
Freshman

Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 6:42 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Orange County, CA
the summit should invite university of north dakota as a baseball affiliate as they park their baseball in the great west, while the big sky doesnt sponsor baseball.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:10 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 687
Location: Columbus, OH
Kim Jong Skillz wrote:
the summit should invite university of north dakota as a baseball affiliate as they park their baseball in the great west, while the big sky doesnt sponsor baseball.


Not a bad idea. I think Northern Colorado plays baseball too. They could also be an affiliate. Heck, maybe the Big Sky would be willing to "lend" the Summit UND and UNC for everything but football--it would mean more basketball money for the Big Sky schools and also a better season at making NCAA post-seasons in sports across the board.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:20 pm 
Online
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1446
fighting muskie wrote:
Kim Jong Skillz wrote:
the summit should invite university of north dakota as a baseball affiliate as they park their baseball in the great west, while the big sky doesnt sponsor baseball.


Not a bad idea. I think Northern Colorado plays baseball too. They could also be an affiliate. Heck, maybe the Big Sky would be willing to "lend" the Summit UND and UNC for everything but football--it would mean more basketball money for the Big Sky schools and also a better season at making NCAA post-seasons in sports across the board.


North Dakota and Northern Colorado along with Sac State are baseball affiliates in the WAC starting 2014.

2014 WAC Baseball - Seattle, Utah Valley, CSUB, GCU, NMSU, UTPA, Chicago St
Affiliates - Sac State, Northern Colorado, North Dakota

2014 Summit Baseball - NDSU, SDSU, UNOmaha, Western Illinois, IUPUFW and (need at least 1 more)

It makes sense for Chicago St, North Dakota, and UMKC to be in the Summit but that's way too logical...

Far too many factors/egos involved (UND getting shunned/ChiSt getting booted/UMKC leaving) for this to happen, seems obvious to us, but then again don't a lot of things...

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:52 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 7418
Article out of Fargo with comments from NDSU AD regarding Summit League realignment situation at http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/68328


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 78  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group