NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: SoCon Realignment
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah. EXACTLY. Some of these conference commissioners and college Presidents ARE NOT VERY BRIGHT.
OR perhaps they are inattentive to the big picture of this realignment process and fail to stop and look at the big picture.

This dribble of colleges into depleted conferences just keeps feeding more and more instability.
The CAA is a frigging MESS (it's a spread out hybrid, and this disparate groups keep trying to save it by pulling in more disparate type schools).

The AE and Socon were tighter groupings, but their commissioners sit idly by, rather than doing their homework of how to enhance stability by striking when the iron is hot.
As though they ae powerless agains the might CAA which is being picked apart by A-10, CAA teams dropping FB, and CAA teams jumping to FBS conferneces.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 am 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
Yeah. EXACTLY. Some of these conference commissioners and college Presidents ARE NOT VERY BRIGHT.
OR perhaps they are inattentive to the big picture of this realignment process and fail to stop and look at the big picture.

This dribble of colleges into depleted conferences just keeps feeding more and more instability.
The CAA is a frigging MESS (it's a spread out hybrid, and this disparate groups keep trying to save it by pulling in more disparate type schools).

The AE and Socon were tighter groupings, but their commissioners sit idly by, rather than doing their homework of how to enhance stability by striking when the iron is hot.
As though they ae powerless agains the might CAA which is being picked apart by A-10, CAA teams dropping FB, and CAA teams jumping to FBS conferneces.

And the worst part is it's the central schools thinking of leaving. If it was the Northeasterns of the league it would be ok, but instead it's the middle of the league being carved out which only leads to further divides. I would in no way be surprised if JMU, Delaware, and Nova (FB only) joined the MAC.

I'm surprised the money is that good in the CAA to justify trips to the Northeast for Elon and Charleston. But if those two stayed put, JMU would leave soon, and the CAA disaster would be finished.

I guess divisions would help. 14 schools makes the most sense to me as long as there's going to be such a wide gap between the divisions (especially after JMU is gone).

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Chattanooga with comments from SoCon Commish and UTC Chancellor regarding SoCon realignment situation and next Thursday's expected SoCon expansion vote at http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013 ... ving-socon

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

So why exactly was Coastal Carolina never part of the rebuilding conversation? Seems like they would have been a no brainer--I'm guessing academics were an issue for the private schools.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SoCon's brass really threw Elon under the bus with their statement.

I suspect UNCG or CC are those brought under the umbrella of that "diversity" statement. Elon wanted more Furman and Davidson types, not directional or system schools.

I said it elsewhere, and I'll say it here: Elon getting everything into CAA ahead of Albany and Stony is bad news for the SUNY's. Might as well get that Fairfield-CAA announcement ready.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
SoCon's brass really threw Elon under the bus with their statement.

I suspect UNCG or CC are those brought under the umbrella of that "diversity" statement. Elon wanted more Furman and Davidson types, not directional or system schools.

I said it elsewhere, and I'll say it here: Elon getting everything into CAA ahead of Albany and Stony is bad news for the SUNY's. Might as well get that Fairfield-CAA announcement ready.

Fairfield and ???? If you're saying they won't be taking public schools then UNCG would be out too.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
I can't begin to understand how the AEast messed this up. It was teed up better than you could ever hope for and they screwed it up. Them and the SoCon deserve to be raided for this.

The problems seem to be Boston and Elon-types. Private schools that incessantly shove their "we should be with schools just like us" agenda down the throats of the conference. They play the little-man card and sit on public and system schools saying they can't compete with their big budgets, but really, it's a jab at the institution.

Boston sat on football because it knew its future would be with a system school like CCSU if it didn't. Elon was pissed because the future for the SoCon was very much a directional public system school.

What's the most annoying is that after all the damage is done, schools like Boston and Elon can critically damage the conference and walk right into new (and better) digs, standing accountable for nothing. I HATE IT.

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Fairfield and ???? If you're saying they won't be taking public schools then UNCG would be out too.

Monmouth. You watch.

Elon will sit on UNCG as Hofstra on Stony Brook.

SoCon's got options regardless, though. But if Furman or Wofford walk...

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:49 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

It's a darn shame that tiny private schools and their snoody sense of self importance prevents up-and-coming public schools with ambitious and growing athletic budgets from getting into better conferences. Albany and Stony Brook both deserve to be in better conferences. So does Central Connecticut St, Coastal Carolina, and UNC-Greensboro but their more affluent neighbors will stop at nothing to undermine their growth and stymie their potential.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Charlotte discussing SoCon realignment and this week's expected SoCon expansion vote at http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... thern.html

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Macon discussing Mercer to SoCon situation at http://www.macon.com/2013/05/26/2492679 ... uture.html

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:23 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
I can't begin to understand how the AEast messed this up. It was teed up better than you could ever hope for and they screwed it up. Them and the SoCon deserve to be raided for this.

The problems seem to be Boston and Elon-types. Private schools that incessantly shove their "we should be with schools just like us" agenda down the throats of the conference. They play the little-man card and sit on public and system schools saying they can't compete with their big budgets, but really, it's a jab at the institution.

Boston sat on football because it knew its future would be with a system school like CCSU if it didn't. Elon was pissed because the future for the SoCon was very much a directional public system school.

What's the most annoying is that after all the damage is done, schools like Boston and Elon can critically damage the conference and walk right into new (and better) digs, standing accountable for nothing. I HATE IT.

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Monmouth. You watch.

Elon will sit on UNCG as Hofstra on Stony Brook.

SoCon's got options regardless, though. But if Furman or Wofford walk...

what's with the Elon hate?

The SoCon will be anything but a directional public school league in the years to come. That is there past. Now there will only be 4 true public schools left: UNCG, UTC, ETSU, and WCU, 2 military schools: VMI and the Citadel, and 4 privates, Samford, Mercer, Wofford, Furman. Any future additions will likely be FCS playing Big South private schools like Presbyterian, Gardner Webb, or Charleston Southern. ETSU is being added because they want to keep UTC happy and they need an FCS school. Private FCS is the SoCon's future

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Charleston with comments from SoCon Commish regarding this week's expected SoCon expansion vote and the league's future at http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2 ... ources=RSS

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Chattanooga with comments from UTC AD regarding this week's expected SoCon expansion vote at http://www.wdef.com/content/sports/loca ... BwoAA.cspx

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

accseahawk wrote:

The SoCon will be anything but a directional public school league in the years to come. That is there past. Now there will only be 4 true public schools left: UNCG, UTC, ETSU, and WCU, 2 military schools: VMI and the Citadel, and 4 privates, Samford, Mercer, Wofford, Furman. Any future additions will likely be FCS playing Big South private schools like Presbyterian, Gardner Webb, or Charleston Southern. ETSU is being added because they want to keep UTC happy and they need an FCS school. Private FCS is the SoCon's future

It's not "hate." It's just what I expect them to do, based on how it appears Elon handled its business in SoCon the last few years. Based on the SoCon response, it sounds like Elon was sour grapes over something...whether they didn't like who was being suggested, or whether SoCon wasn't into going after schools Elon wanted, I don't know. But, yeah, it sounds like they were kind of unreasonable...well, now in the CAA, you know what they say about misery loving company...

SoCon's legacy is that of what became the SEC and ACC. Public and private. Big and small. It's becoming smaller, but it has a "core" of schools like Furman, Wofford, UTC, and The Citadel who enjoy the companionship of each other. I think they have what it takes to go into OVC and plunder it of a few schools...but, again, you had some in that defecting bloc who may have had a problem with that...

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:11 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
accseahawk wrote:

It's not "hate." It's just what I expect them to do, based on how it appears Elon handled its business in SoCon the last few years. Based on the SoCon response, it sounds like Elon was sour grapes over something...whether they didn't like who was being suggested, or whether SoCon wasn't into going after schools Elon wanted, I don't know. But, yeah, it sounds like they were kind of unreasonable...well, now in the CAA, you know what they say about misery loving company...

SoCon's legacy is that of what became the SEC and ACC. Public and private. Big and small. It's becoming smaller, but it has a "core" of schools like Furman, Wofford, UTC, and The Citadel who enjoy the companionship of each other. I think they have what it takes to go into OVC and plunder it of a few schools...but, again, you had some in that defecting bloc who may have had a problem with that...

I don't see it being unreasonable to move to a conference that wants to emphasize basketball as well as FCS football. I think it was just different visions and the SoCon no longer fit Elon's vision. No biggie that's life

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next