NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:02 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:46 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Any chance the C7 Big East has both their men's and women's tournaments at MSG? If they still have the building for five days this could make a lot of sense:

Day 1 - Men's and Women's first round (2 games each)
Day 2 - women's quarterfinals
Day 3 - men's quarterfinals
Day 4 - men's and women's semifinals
Day 5 - men's and women's finals

If the conference expands to 12, either add an extra day or have a couple days with 6 games.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:22 pm 
Junior
Junior

wbyeager wrote:
Any chance the C7 Big East has both their men's and women's tournaments at MSG? If they still have the building for five days this could make a lot of sense:

If the conference expands to 12, either add an extra day or have a couple days with 6 games.

I don't think that it would happen, women's tournament's just don't have the cache the men's tournaments do. The Big 12 had theirs in the same city on the same general weekend as the men's tournament when the league started and it was a financial & resource drain on the conference.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mizzoufan1 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

I don't think that it would happen, women's tournament's just don't have the cache the men's tournaments do. The Big 12 had theirs in the same city on the same general weekend as the men's tournament when the league started and it was a financial & resource drain on the conference.

How about the women's tournaments play at either the Nassau Coliseum or the Barclays Center?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mizzoufan1 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

How about the women's tournaments play at either the Nassau Coliseum or the Barclays Center?
Women's fans don't travel so playing in a high cost off campus arena doesn't make sense.

Typically the women tournaments are either in the same center as the men's tourney (like the Big 12 had in OKC, KC or DFW) or at one the conference's schools home courts (both of which reduce costs.

Also the A10 has Barclays, and I swear I've seen another conference playing in Nassau but can't recall who...(CAA, NEC, MAAC).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mizzoufan1 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

Women's fans don't travel so playing in a high cost off campus arena doesn't make sense.

Typically the women tournaments are either in the same center as the men's tourney (like the Big 12 had in OKC, KC or DFW) or at one the conference's schools home courts (both of which reduce costs.

Also the A10 has Barclays, and I swear I've seen another conference playing in Nassau but can't recall who...(CAA, NEC, MAAC).

Then what suggestion for a venue that's like MSG-material do you believe that it should be ideal for the women's tournaments for the conference?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mizzoufan1 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

Then what suggestion for a venue that's like MSG-material do you believe that it should be ideal for the women's tournaments for the conference?

None, either they'll play it at MSG or at one of their schools.

The current Big East signed a deal to play in the XL Center in Hartford, CT but that's VERY rare and almost solely because they had some of the best women's bball in the country with UConn/ND/StJohn's/Nova/GTown/Lville/Rutgers/DePaul/Syracuse.

Now with out half of those schools not in the Catholic 7 Big East it becomes less of an event, so unless they had to take that contract to as part of the deal in keeping the name and MSG I bet they either put it in MSG in the morning (8am/11am) with the men in the afternoon (3pm/7pm), or make it at the home court of one of their schools rotating every year (obviously skipping St John's).

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

New Big East spring meetings set to begin with no commissioner

The sun will be warm, the drinks will be cool, the rooms at the 5-star resort in West Palm Beach will be plush.
Welcome to the world of the new Big East Conference, which will gather for the first time at the spring meetings this weekend, planning a future which will officially begin on July 1.
No commissioner is expected to be named during the meetings, but a decision is expected before the end of May.

* They have hired a stenographer to record the proceedings of the meeting.
* They have hired a New York publication firm, Rubenstein Associates, with a point person Alice McGillian.
* They have hired former Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe to guide them through the interim period.
* They are talking with some old American Athletic Conference officials about making the move to the Big East.
* They will have the conference office in New York City.
* They should pick and announce their new commissioner before the end of May.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=6860#more-6860

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:47 am 
Freshman
Freshman

From a month old article on temple-news.com:
In field hockey and women's lacrosse, the American AC schools will be part of the Big East Conference for 2013-14.
http://temple-news.com/sports/2013/04/3 ... -big-east/
I'm assuming that the AAC men's lax schools will be part of this arrangement as well. The article doesn't mention men's lax because Temple doesn't sponsor a men's team.

The field hockey members:
Old Dominion (affiliate)
Temple
Rutgers
Louisville
Georgetown
Connecticut
Providence
Villanova

Women's lacrosse members:
Temple
Marquette
Connecticut
Georgetown
Louisville
Rutgers
Cincinnati
Villanova

(cross posted on the Other College Sports forum)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

From Inside Lacrosse, sources saying Denver to join Big East for men's lacrosse, assuring the AQ.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Big East/AAC Interweb Separation
The new Big East keeps Brand name
The AAC gets the likes and followers

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/BIGEASTconference
https://www.facebook.com/AmericanConf

Twitter:
@BigEastConf
@BigEastChamps
@BigEastMBB
@BigEastWBB

@American_Conf
@American_FB
@American_MBB
@American_WBB
@American_Champs

PINTEREST
http://pinterest.com/bigeast/
http://pinterest.com/theamericanconf/

They will launch the two websites on 7/1/2013
a revised http://www.bigeast.org/
and
http://www.theamerican.org/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

CBSSports article with comments from Xavier AD regarding possible future BE expansion at http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... in-5-years

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Xavier's AD opens mouth and, apparently, a can of worms about Big East expansion/growth. The usual suspects (SLU, UD, VCU, and UR) included...

...good to know this might have finally put a fire under someone's butt to get the website up and running. It was really becoming a running joke.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Hell, just take all 4 they all deserve it. If 2, I guess St.Louis and Richmond.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:27 am 
Junior
Junior

As much as I would love to see VCU join the conference, I feel their public status is going to quickly put them as the odd man out. Especially when there are other viable schools including one in their same market (the Spiders).

FSA's suggestion of St. Louis and Richmond gives the Big East a nice and neat six-six East-West split.

East
Georgetown
Providence
Seton Hall
St. John's
Villanova
Richmond

West
Butler
Creighton
DePaul
Marquette
Xavier
St. Louis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

hickory_cornhusker wrote:
As much as I would love to see VCU join the conference, I feel their public status is going to quickly put them as the odd man out. Especially when there are other viable schools including one in their same market (the Spiders).

FSA's suggestion of St. Louis and Richmond gives the Big East a nice and neat six-six East-West split.

East
Georgetown
Providence
Seton Hall
St. John's
Villanova
Richmond

West
Butler
Creighton
DePaul
Marquette
Xavier
St. Louis

Love the preview. In case all 4 schools that were mentioned would join, the format should be the following:

Big East - East
Georgetown
Providence
Seton Hall
St. John's
Villanova
Richmond
VCU

Big East - West
Butler
Creighton
DePaul
Marquette
Xavier
St. Louis
Dayton

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next