Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: NBA realignment
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:05 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Looks like, for better or worse, the Kings will be staying in Sacramento. If I'm Chris Hansen and the Seattle ownership group I would be setting my eyes on the Milwaukee Bucks since they play in an aging arena. If the Bucks relocate then they can swap spots with the Timberwolves who would appreciate playing Midwestern teams and cutting down on the West Coast travel.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Looks like, for better or worse, the Kings will be staying in Sacramento. If I'm Chris Hansen and the Seattle ownership group I would be setting my eyes on the Milwaukee Bucks since they play in an aging arena. If the Bucks relocate then they can swap spots with the Timberwolves who would appreciate playing Midwestern teams and cutting down on the West Coast travel.

The rumor in the Northwest is that Hansen has a promise for expansion... IF the next TV rights negotiation increases enough so that other league teams don't lose money in the process.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

In honor of the 30 for 30 'Free Spirit' and the ABA I was thinking about NBA expansion.

Look at the former ABA/NBA team locations w/o NBA current representation:

San Diego Conquistadors/Sails/Clippers
Pittsburgh Ironmen/Pipers/Pioneers/Condors
Virginia Squires (all over VA but mainly Norfolk)
Kansas City Larks/Royals/Kings (also in Omaha)
Kentucky Colonels (also Cincinnati Royals)
St Louis Hawks/Bombers/Spirit
Seattle SuperSonics
Vancouver Grizzlies

Many of these are real possibilities for expansion teams (Seattle and Virginia especially) and the only area, that has never had a team that could, would be Montreal or Las Vegas.

32 (2 conferences of 4 divisions w/ 4 teams) is the next expansion which we could see soon if TV dollars keep increasing and after that it could be 36 (2 conferences of 3 divisions w/ 6 teams).

Eastern Conference:
Atlantic: Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets, New York Knicks, Montreal Matrix, Philly 76ers, Toronto Raptors
Central: Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves
Southeast: Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Bobcats, Miami Heat, Orlando Magic, Virginia Squires, Washington Wizards

Western Conference:
Southwest: Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets, Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Pelicans, OKC Thunder, San Antonio Spurs
Northwest: Denver Nuggets, Las Vegas Defenders, Portland Trail Blazers, Utah Jazz, Seattle SuperSonics, Vancouver Grizzlies
Pacific: Golden State Warriors, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Phoenix Suns, Sacramento Kings, San Diego Conquistadors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

That 30 for 30 was funny - "the Spirits of St. Louis."

About the ABA - and it showed how the Will Ferrell movie about the Flint (Michigan) Tropics, although fictional was VERY CLOSE TO THE ACTUAL HISOTRY OF WHAT TRANSPIRED !!!

htey had a little interview with the "team drug dealer" and talked about how he would meet the guys when the team plane landed in new York or elsewhere....

Lots of Afros !!! Bob Costas - it was his first gig out of college at Syracuse - provided some very funny commentary.
The job was rather goofy.... games were played in fornt of maybe 500 people in an 18,000 seat arena.

One of my firends lived in an apartment complex near Marvin Barnes.
After the Spirits folded, and Marvin moved out of his apartment, Ma Bell send a van out to retrieve Marvin's telephones.
Those of you alive back then may recall that AT&T owned all phone equipment, cutstomers only rented / leased it...
The phone company guys retrieved thirteen (Count 'em - 13 !!!) telephones from inside of Barnes' two-bedroom apartment unit !