NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:44 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If some A-Sun schools (at least the football-sponsoring ones) plan to defect to the Big South or the SoCon, what would be the future of the A-Sun?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:10 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
accseahawk wrote:
I think for the time being K State will stay in the ASun and when their football program is ready, the Big South will add them as an affiliate. K State is just not a likely SoCon addition at this point in time and the Big South does not need them for olympic sports, so just take them for the football. Win Win Win

So USCU for #12 all sports in the BSC

Ya but that could kill of the ASun, plus it could complicate the Big South Divisions (Campbell might not like being the only NC school in a 5 team SC division)

I think the Big South stays with 11 for the time being and takes K State as a football affiliate when they are ready. No need to kill the ASun. The Florida schools could provide to be some awesome football affiliates down the road, and they need a place to play Olympic sports. 1 Football conference that is held together by 2 Southern all sports conferences with their own distinct geographic areas.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

accseahawk wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
accseahawk wrote:
I think for the time being K State will stay in the ASun and when their football program is ready, the Big South will add them as an affiliate. K State is just not a likely SoCon addition at this point in time and the Big South does not need them for olympic sports, so just take them for the football. Win Win Win

So USCU for #12 all sports in the BSC

Ya but that could kill of the ASun, plus it could complicate the Big South Divisions (Campbell might not like being the only NC school in a 5 team SC division)

I think the Big South stays with 11 for the time being and takes K State as a football affiliate when they are ready. No need to kill the ASun. The Florida schools could provide to be some awesome football affiliates down the road, and they need a place to play Olympic sports. 1 Football conference that is held together by 2 Southern all sports conferences with their own distinct geographic areas.

I don't think they're worried about the A-Sun though, the last thing a conf. has is compassion for another conf. Plus A-Sun would still survive w/ a 2 year waiver NKU would be full in 2016 and between now and then add Columbus St., Georgia Regents, UNA if they can get fb in Big South. In fact BSC might do that so they can get UNA to move up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:55 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I just don't see the big south wanting to expand its footprint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

accseahawk wrote:
I just don't see the big south wanting to expand its footprint

It won't expand if they add USCU for all sports

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:28 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I don't think the big south will expand at this time outside of adding football affiliates to those willing and able

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:10 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

accseahawk wrote:
I don't think the big south will expand at this time outside of adding football affiliates to those willing and able

I believe that Kennesaw State would be a great option to the Big South as a football-affiliated member.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Macon discussing Atlantic Sun realignment situation at http://www.macon.com/2013/06/03/2503322 ... anges.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

accseahawk wrote:

They took Longwood when they didn't have to I don't think we should count out USCU or KSU for all sports. Atlanta market, does that matter to a smaller conf like the Big South? If it does then I think they'll add KSU for everything if no I still think they go to 12 w/ USCU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:42 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
accseahawk wrote:

They took Longwood when they didn't have to I don't think we should count out USCU or KSU for all sports. Atlanta market, does that matter to a smaller conf like the Big South? If it does then I think they'll add KSU for everything if no I still think they go to 12 w/ USCU

we will see.

IMO they took Longwood so they could get the divisions they wanted. 4 Va + 2 NC / 4 SC + 2 NC.

There is no good option right now to regain that balance because if you add a southern school Campbell become the only NC school in a SC or SC/GA division. They just got away with that from the ASun and they likely don't want to go back.

Big South is a poor conference so I think they are more focused on being super travel friendly. They also want to add football schools. So not killing the ASun off allows for both of those things to come to pass. They can add ASun football schools for football only while keeping their footprint tiny for non revenue sports. Its not so much the Big South cares about the Asun, its just in their benefit to keep them around. Taking USC Upstate or K state upsets that apple cart along with isolating Campell. No point in doing so when you are at a healthy 11 with only 2 real potential defectors (who both have proven unable to defect)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Then that Delaware St. to the BSC for all sports and KSU for fb only would really upset the apple cart. We'll see if my Albany friend can find more info on that. Sure wasn't on my radar. I know DSU wanted to be in the NEC.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:26 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Then that Delaware St. to the BSC for all sports and KSU for fb only would really upset the apple cart. We'll see if my Albany friend can find more info on that. Sure wasn't on my radar. I know DSU wanted to be in the NEC.

Delaware St huh? I guess I could see that. They would fit in the North and not extend the footprint that much. The southern members might not like it as that is as they are about 4 additional driving hours further North than VMI, but I could see it. MEAC would even out at 12 to with that pick up.

SO, Delaware St takes VMI's spot in the North division while KSU and other southern upgrades find a football home in the Big South and an all sports home in the ASun (UNA would be a good ASun fit)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Daytona Beach with comments from Stetson AD regarding A-Sun realignment situation prior to next week's A-Sun Presidents meetings at http://www.news-journalonline.com/artic ... conference

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

As Atlantic Sun Presidents meet this week,article out of Macon discussing A-Sun realignment situation at http://www.macon.com/2013/06/11/2513446 ... the-a.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:50 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

sounds good in theory, but who would they swap? the only place their footprints overlap is SC with USC Upstate in the Asun instead of the Big South? Would the Big South want to take on UNK and Lipscomb in exchange for the SC schools of the Big South. That would make it the Big South TN, NC, VA, and KY and the ASUN SC, GA, FL

Liberty, Radford, Longwood, UNCA, Gardner Webb, High Point, Campbell, Lipscomb, UNK

USC Upstate, Coastal Carolina, Winthrop, Presbyterian, Charleston Southern, K State, Jacksonville, North Florida, Florida GC, Stetson

It could work but I don't see much benefit out of it for the Big South at all

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next