NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 88  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:19 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1010
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Seriously, why is the need or the purpose for C-USA to expand upto 16 teams? It wouldn't mean a damn difference just because they're a non-AQ conference like those of the Top 5 (ACC, SEC, B1G, Big XII, Pac-12). C-USA should stay with 14 teams, giving the Sun Belt a second wind in terms of expansion.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:03 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
fighting muskie wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Does CUSA still want 16 even after the new Playoff money tops out at 12 mill per conf. for the No One Cares About Us 5?


I doubt it. It makes zero sense. No one out there will improve their television contract and no one is worth sharing the $12 million with. The Sunbelt is safe; in fact, C-USA could simply decide to not replace the next two schools that leave.


So really the only FCS hopes are 1 more for the SBC and 1 fb only in the MAC unless the B12 goes to 12. Then CUSA would either stay at 12 and kill off any more moves after the AAC to B12, CUSA to AAC moves. If 14 again then 2 more FCS(4 total), if no (2 total)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:25 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 658
Location: Columbus, OH
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Does CUSA still want 16 even after the new Playoff money tops out at 12 mill per conf. for the No One Cares About Us 5?


I doubt it. It makes zero sense. No one out there will improve their television contract and no one is worth sharing the $12 million with. The Sunbelt is safe; in fact, C-USA could simply decide to not replace the next two schools that leave.


So really the only FCS hopes are 1 more for the SBC and 1 fb only in the MAC unless the B12 goes to 12. Then CUSA would either stay at 12 and kill off any more moves after the AAC to B12, CUSA to AAC moves. If 14 again then 2 more FCS(4 total), if no (2 total)


It sure looks like this is they way things are about to go. Things might finally be static for a few seasons or for as long as the major players are comfortable with the size and composition of their conferences. These new rules for playoff money take away any incentive for the little guys to grow beyond 12. The MAC and SBC could even drop their affiliates, further shrinking the opportunities (or perhaps the SBC might swap out their affiliates for FCS upgrades within their footprint). Navy giving up it seat in the AAC might open up a spot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:35 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 9:02 pm
Posts: 1463
Location: Richmond, Virginia
New Sun Belt Conference logos For Each Member School
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:20 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1423
So does WKU have to pay to rebrand their fields/courts with the new SB logo for just 1 year and then pay again for the CUSA branding next year?

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:58 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:06 am
Posts: 154
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Does CUSA still want 16 even after the new Playoff money tops out at 12 mill per conf. for the No One Cares About Us 5?


I doubt it. It makes zero sense. No one out there will improve their television contract and no one is worth sharing the $12 million with. The Sunbelt is safe; in fact, C-USA could simply decide to not replace the next two schools that leave.


So really the only FCS hopes are 1 more for the SBC and 1 fb only in the MAC unless the B12 goes to 12. Then CUSA would either stay at 12 and kill off any more moves after the AAC to B12, CUSA to AAC moves. If 14 again then 2 more FCS(4 total), if no (2 total)


I actually think everything hinges on the big 12 and who they take if they expand to 12. I think it's a matter of when and not if. Right now there is no 2 must have schools for them to grab. I think that the big 12 will try to go into SEC territory by getting second rung schools in Louisiana(Tulane and Louisiana tech) they might go to Georgia and get states and southern from the sun belt. I think that the big 12 is in a wait and see approach and is letting other conferences make the intial investments in helping upgrade facilities and what not.

_________________
Fan of:
Sun Belt Conference
Summit League
Us National Soccer Team


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:35 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1423
PSA/FYI: New EA Sports NCAAfb'14 will have South Alabama (who was accidentally left out last year), GA St and Old Dominion (CUSA) but not GA Southern, App St or Charlotte (CUSA) all of which will debut in next years game so even with the conference realignment features this game will only be accurate for 1 year.

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1072
46566 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Does CUSA still want 16 even after the new Playoff money tops out at 12 mill per conf. for the No One Cares About Us 5?


I doubt it. It makes zero sense. No one out there will improve their television contract and no one is worth sharing the $12 million with. The Sunbelt is safe; in fact, C-USA could simply decide to not replace the next two schools that leave.


So really the only FCS hopes are 1 more for the SBC and 1 fb only in the MAC unless the B12 goes to 12. Then CUSA would either stay at 12 and kill off any more moves after the AAC to B12, CUSA to AAC moves. If 14 again then 2 more FCS(4 total), if no (2 total)


I actually think everything hinges on the big 12 and who they take if they expand to 12. I think it's a matter of when and not if. Right now there is no 2 must have schools for them to grab. I think that the big 12 will try to go into SEC territory by getting second rung schools in Louisiana(Tulane and Louisiana tech) they might go to Georgia and get states and southern from the sun belt. I think that the big 12 is in a wait and see approach and is letting other conferences make the intial investments in helping upgrade facilities and what not.


It depends on who's driving the bus in the Big XII. Their network partners aren't pests if they're telling the conference to expand because of the revenue flow. They need market reach. They need the CCG. Round-robin is useful to them only because it means all the teams get exposed throughout the entire conference footprint.

The question for the SBC is where the Big XII takes their inventory. They're bound to lose someone from Texas, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:39 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 7390
CBSSports blog article(previously posted in another thread)discussing SBC realignment situation at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... sion-pause


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:00 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:06 am
Posts: 154
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
46566 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Does CUSA still want 16 even after the new Playoff money tops out at 12 mill per conf. for the No One Cares About Us 5?


I doubt it. It makes zero sense. No one out there will improve their television contract and no one is worth sharing the $12 million with. The Sunbelt is safe; in fact, C-USA could simply decide to not replace the next two schools that leave.


So really the only FCS hopes are 1 more for the SBC and 1 fb only in the MAC unless the B12 goes to 12. Then CUSA would either stay at 12 and kill off any more moves after the AAC to B12, CUSA to AAC moves. If 14 again then 2 more FCS(4 total), if no (2 total)


I actually think everything hinges on the big 12 and who they take if they expand to 12. I think it's a matter of when and not if. Right now there is no 2 must have schools for them to grab. I think that the big 12 will try to go into SEC territory by getting second rung schools in Louisiana(Tulane and Louisiana tech) they might go to Georgia and get states and southern from the sun belt. I think that the big 12 is in a wait and see approach and is letting other conferences make the intial investments in helping upgrade facilities and what not.


It depends on who's driving the bus in the Big XII. Their network partners aren't pests if they're telling the conference to expand because of the revenue flow. They need market reach. They need the CCG. Round-robin is useful to them only because it means all the teams get exposed throughout the entire conference footprint.

The question for the SBC is where the Big XII takes their inventory. They're bound to lose someone from Texas, though.

I feel like the Big 12 will not have another Texas school. I feel that they have Texas covered. Someone mentioned getting USF and UCF to the conference which allows them to get into the Florida market. With that the AAC could go after Appalachian State(to get another school in North Carolina) maybe also raid the mac for UMass. They could try to go after the 2 Florida schools in C-USA.

_________________
Fan of:
Sun Belt Conference
Summit League
Us National Soccer Team


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:55 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1072
46566 wrote:
I feel like the Big 12 will not have another Texas school. I feel that they have Texas covered. Someone mentioned getting USF and UCF to the conference which allows them to get into the Florida market. With that the AAC could go after Appalachian State(to get another school in North Carolina) maybe also raid the mac for UMass. They could try to go after the 2 Florida schools in C-USA.


I don't think the Big XII has to take a Texas school for the SBC to lose TSU or UTA. It's who the Big XII takes from where, and what those conferences do to replenish their numbers where SBC loses its Texas properties.

What CUSA is doing to the SBC is almost as bad as what the Big East did to CUSA, and what the ACC did to the Big East. Even though CUSA is way too heavy with Texas inventory, if they lose UTEP or Rice, or even USM, they're coming for more Texas schools. It makes no sense, given how Arkansas State and either Georgia State or Georgia Southern put CUSA in states not represented but within the footprint, but CUSA isn't about logic anymore. It's all about FL and TX for these other schools to feed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:27 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:06 am
Posts: 154
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
46566 wrote:
I feel like the Big 12 will not have another Texas school. I feel that they have Texas covered. Someone mentioned getting USF and UCF to the conference which allows them to get into the Florida market. With that the AAC could go after Appalachian State(to get another school in North Carolina) maybe also raid the mac for UMass. They could try to go after the 2 Florida schools in C-USA.


I don't think the Big XII has to take a Texas school for the SBC to lose TSU or UTA. It's who the Big XII takes from where, and what those conferences do to replenish their numbers where SBC loses its Texas properties.

What CUSA is doing to the SBC is almost as bad as what the Big East did to CUSA, and what the ACC did to the Big East. Even though CUSA is way too heavy with Texas inventory, if they lose UTEP or Rice, or even USM, they're coming for more Texas schools. It makes no sense, given how Arkansas State and either Georgia State or Georgia Southern put CUSA in states not represented but within the footprint, but CUSA isn't about logic anymore. It's all about FL and TX for these other schools to feed.


Well they want the recruits and upgraded their conference a little bit.(having a guaranteed trip in the east in Florida is a plus)

I think the C-USA is done expanding unless poached again. Realignment is done for the next 2 seasons(this year and next year) at least. I have a feeling the next wave of realignment will start with the big 12. They have 2 golden tickets for upgrades to the playoffs. I'd like to think that the sun belt held off on expansion due to the commissioner not want to say no to new schools and trying to invite them 6 months later.

_________________
Fan of:
Sun Belt Conference
Summit League
Us National Soccer Team


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:02 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:21 pm
Posts: 881
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
It depends on who's driving the bus in the Big XII. Their network partners aren't pests if they're telling the conference to expand because of the revenue flow. They need market reach. They need the CCG. Round-robin is useful to them only because it means all the teams get exposed throughout the entire conference footprint.

The question for the SBC is where the Big XII takes their inventory. They're bound to lose someone from Texas, though.


46566 wrote:
I feel like the Big 12 will not have another Texas school. I feel that they have Texas covered. Someone mentioned getting USF and UCF to the conference which allows them to get into the Florida market. With that the AAC could go after Appalachian State(to get another school in North Carolina) maybe also raid the mac for UMass. They could try to go after the 2 Florida schools in C-USA.


I'd agree. The Longhorns themselves bring you enough of the Texas TV sets.

Realistically (assuming ACC off the table), the only Big XII expansion candidates would be:
BYU, Boise State
UTEP, San Diego State, Colorado State, USF, UCF
UNLV, UTSA

_________________
1897-1898 | 1900-06 | 1926-27 | 1929-30 | 1939 | 1942


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:20 am 
Offline
Freshman
Freshman

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 8
46566 wrote:
I feel like the Big 12 will not have another Texas school. I feel that they have Texas covered. Someone mentioned getting USF and UCF to the conference which allows them to get into the Florida market. With that the AAC could go after Appalachian State(to get another school in North Carolina) maybe also raid the mac for UMass. They could try to go after the 2 Florida schools in C-USA.


I'd agree. The Longhorns themselves bring you enough of the Texas TV sets.

Realistically (assuming ACC off the table), the only Big XII expansion candidates would be:
BYU, Boise State
UTEP, San Diego State, Colorado State, USF, UCF
UNLV, UTSA[/quote]

I disagree on UTEP and UTSA being candidates. I would add New Mexico. Bad football. Decent market.
Does anyone else think that the Big 12 must expand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:45 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am
Posts: 201
kjtalbot wrote:
I disagree on UTEP and UTSA being candidates. I would add New Mexico. Bad football. Decent market.
Does anyone else think that the Big 12 must expand?


The ONLY Texas school I could even fathom the XII expanding with would be Houston. Since Texas A&M left, the southeastern corridor of Texas is XII-less. I don't mean to say that the other 4 schools from Texas in the XII (Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU) don't draw from the Houston region of the state, I'm just saying that Texas A&M has a much stronger pull. Any other school in the state wouldn't be on my long list of candidates.

New Mexico would be okay if their football was a tad stronger. I think they could take Kansas out, but past that, I'm not too sure. Their basketball is very strong which helps.

As far as any other candidates: BYU/Boise St. seem to be a package deal. Even though I think they'd compete in the XII, I don't see how expanding that far west would benefit a conference who chose West Virginia over either of those schools. If they could somehow bridge Idaho to West Virginia (or even get close), it'd be plausible, but I just don't see it happening unfortunately. XII really dropped the ball with Louisville. Cincinnati is solid athletic institution and I wouldn't be surprised if they were the first invite if/when the XII expands. IF, however, the ACC happens to become available, I could see the XII going from 10 to 14 with invites to Florida St, Miami FL, Clemson, and Georgia Tech. Would any of those actually leave to join the XII? I have no idea.

As far as MUST expand? Right now, no. SHOULD they? Probably. I wouldn't bet against the Playoff Selection Committee favoring not only conference champions, but conference championship game champions. If they blatantly say that is not the case, then the XII doesn't have to expand. I think they would only benefit in the long run by adding at least 2 more programs.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 88  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group