Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:45 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: College baseball
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Now that Oregon State has won consecutive NCAA titles, Oregon is reinstating varsity baseball.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1184383524265840.xml&coll=7

Dropping wrestling, adding competitive cheer. Competitive cheer?

The theory at work here is that baseball has better revenue potential than wrestling. Putting theory into practice, eh...

Another thing... an article last month discussed this possibility in conjunction with U of O and the Eugene Emeralds (class A Northwest League) going in together on a new stadium or a substantial upgrade of Eugene Civic Stadium. It'll be interesting to see how that all comes out, though I know Nebraska and Penn State seem to have somewhat similar arrangements with pro teams (Penn State has three locker rooms due to some sort of incompatability between NCAA regs and minor league standards... Nebraska shares with an independent league team).

Post subject: Re: College baseball
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Lock Haven University (Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference) is to drop baseball:

http://www.lockhaven.com/page/content.d ... l?nav=5009

April 17, 2009
The Lock Haven Express
Article by Tom Fox

*The article also notes other athletic programs in the PA State Athletic Conference that were recently dropped:

Edinboro dropped baseball in 2002.
Kutztown dropped men's soccer & men's swimming this year.
Clarion dropped men's track & cross country program 2 year ago.
Mansfield dropped fb earlier & recently installed sprint football.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:41 pm 
Senior
Senior

AccSeahawk, I agree with you on almost every point, except for the hockey in the South comparison. That's a definite apples to oranges comparison right there. 1) most hockey conferences want the full compliment of 23 scholarships, in baseball all you need is 15, and they can be partial. This already makes baseball more favorable than hockey in the Title IX department. 2) Hockey, being an indoor sport, means you'd need a full arena or would have to design an arena to go back & forth between hockey and hoops. This is MUCH more expensive than putting together a baseball field and throwing up some bleachers. Most schools don't exactly have that kind of money lying around. Other than that, I'm in total agreement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Syracuse with comments from SU AD regarding "possibility" of Syracuse adding varsity Baseball sometime in the future at http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/06 ... all_p.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:18 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The ACC will then have scheduling issues for 15 schools in baseball-I doubt adding NYIT justifies going to 16 in baseball.

The next women's sport Syracuse adds in response to adding baseball should be gymnastics. The ACC would only have four (Pitt, Syracuse, UNC, NCSU) but that can still justify a late season schedule of dual meets and a conference championship meet. Louisville should be #5 for gymnastics if they add men's lacrosse. Florida State could be #6 as their women's sports acting as offsets for football don't even add up to 40 scholarships.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:23 pm 
Junior
Junior

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Syracuse with comments from SU AD regarding "possibility" of Syracuse adding varsity Baseball sometime in the future at http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/06 ... all_p.html

The interesting point I found was the fact that Syracuse (dropped baseball in 1972) is one of only four "BCS" level schools that does not have baseball. The others being Wisconsin (pretty obvious/did they ever have the sport?), Colorado (dropped baseball in 1980) and Iowa State (dropped baseball in 2001).

I remember when ISU dropped their program, and it was a real dark day for men's athletics overall. They dropped Men's Swimming and Diving that year as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:14 am 
Junior
Junior

mizzoufan1 wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

The interesting point I found was the fact that Syracuse (dropped baseball in 1972) is one of only four "BCS" level schools that does not have baseball. The others being Wisconsin (pretty obvious/did they ever have the sport?), Colorado (dropped baseball in 1980) and Iowa State (dropped baseball in 2001).

I remember when ISU dropped their program, and it was a real dark day for men's athletics overall. They dropped Men's Swimming and Diving that year as well.

Wisconsin dropped baseball in 1990 or 1991. Still a very sore subject for some people in the state.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:22 pm 
Junior
Junior

hickory_cornhusker wrote:
mizzoufan1 wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

Wisconsin dropped baseball in 1990 or 1991. Still a very sore subject for some people in the state.

I did not know that. I just never recall it happening, but I was in high school at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:36 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If those schools need to add Women's Sports to be able to add baseball:

Wisconsin - could add Field Hockey or Lacrosse - the Big 10 will sponsor both as of July 1, 2014.

Syracuse - The Orange are in a tougher spot because they already have Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Softball, and Volleyball to offset Football; Syracuse is one of the few schools with both Men's and Women's programs in Rowing and Soccer. It likely means Fencing, Bowling, Gymnastics, or Rifle on the Women's side.

Colorado - Since Colorado already fields women's lacrosse, field hockey would be the most likely. Unfortunately this would be in the NorPac, essentially two small collections of field hockey programs spanning coast-to-coast where the only cross-division play is in the conference tournament. Gymnastics could also be an option with plenty of regional opponents in the MPSF.

Iowa State - Either Field Hockey or Lacrosse would be the most likely. Field Hockey would certainly be welcome in the MAC. Lacrosse affiliation may not be so clear cut, but whatever banner the Big East/American conference is using would make the most sense for the Cyclones (Cincinnati, Connecticut, Temple, Iowa State, Marquette, Villanova, Georgetown)