NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:11 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

kjtalbot wrote:
46566 wrote:
I feel like the Big 12 will not have another Texas school. I feel that they have Texas covered. Someone mentioned getting USF and UCF to the conference which allows them to get into the Florida market. With that the AAC could go after Appalachian State(to get another school in North Carolina) maybe also raid the mac for UMass. They could try to go after the 2 Florida schools in C-USA.

I'd agree. The Longhorns themselves bring you enough of the Texas TV sets.

Realistically (assuming ACC off the table), the only Big XII expansion candidates would be:
BYU, Boise State
UTEP, San Diego State, Colorado State, USF, UCF
UNLV, UTSA

I disagree on UTEP and UTSA being candidates. I would add New Mexico. Bad football. Decent market.
Does anyone else think that the Big 12 must expand?[/quote]

Nice choices. I also believe that the Big 12 should expand sooner or later. Boise State and BYU are two of the possibilities. Rich football tradition schools, with BYU winning a national title for the WAC back in 1984-85, I think; and Boise State being the only unbeaten team to win a major bowl game (exluding the BCS national title game) back in 2006-07 against then-favorite Oklahoma, who could had been a national title game hopeful member.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Nice choices. I also believe that the Big 12 should expand sooner or later. Boise State and BYU are two of the possibilities. Rich football tradition schools, with BYU winning a national title for the WAC back in 1984-85, I think; and Boise State being the only unbeaten team to win a major bowl game (exluding the BCS national title game) back in 2006-07 against then-favorite Oklahoma, who could had been a national title game hopeful member.

Since the BCS was established:

2004 Auburn Sugar
2004 Utah Fiesta
2006 Boise Fiesta
2008 Utah Sugar
2009 Boise Fiesta (beating an undefeated TCU)
2010 TCU Rose

The argument could be made that they belong in an AQ conference with the rest of these teams however they were clearly not the only unbeaten team to win a major bowl game....

Also BSU have no chance of joining the Big 12 as a full member...if a CCG becomes a requirement I could see them possibly getting in along with BYU as fb only members which avoids adding the horrible academics of Boise, the Sunday issue with BYU, and the increase in travel in all sports from adding 2 Western members in addition to having WVU in the East.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I should have clarified earlier that when I meant the SBC was bound to lose a Texas school, it wasn't necessarily dependent on the Big XII expanding further into Texas. It was meant to mean that CUSA would probably take another TX school no matter who they eventually lost, be it a Texas school or someone else.

The likely domino effect would be Big XII taking at least one AAC school, AAC grabbing another CUSA school, and CUSA taking Texas State or UTA.

Regardless, UTEP's pretty much stuck. I don't know who they pissed off in the old WAC, but it wasn't just Utah and BYU, apparently. Were the AAC to lose Houston, while the smart decision would be to tap UTEP, they'll likely fill in with Rice. Darn shame for the Miners.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:09 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
kjtalbot wrote:
46566 wrote:
I feel like the Big 12 will not have another Texas school. I feel that they have Texas covered. Someone mentioned getting USF and UCF to the conference which allows them to get into the Florida market. With that the AAC could go after Appalachian State(to get another school in North Carolina) maybe also raid the mac for UMass. They could try to go after the 2 Florida schools in C-USA.

I'd agree. The Longhorns themselves bring you enough of the Texas TV sets.

Realistically (assuming ACC off the table), the only Big XII expansion candidates would be:
BYU, Boise State
UTEP, San Diego State, Colorado State, USF, UCF
UNLV, UTSA

I disagree on UTEP and UTSA being candidates. I would add New Mexico. Bad football. Decent market.
Does anyone else think that the Big 12 must expand?

Nice choices. I also believe that the Big 12 should expand sooner or later. Boise State and BYU are two of the possibilities. Rich football tradition schools, with BYU winning a national title for the WAC back in 1984-85, I think; and Boise State being the only unbeaten team to win a major bowl game (exluding the BCS national title game) back in 2006-07 against then-favorite Oklahoma, who could had been a national title game hopeful member.[/quote]

I actually like the idea of New Mexico being in the conference.While currently weak in football they could help the conference in basketball right away. this in turn might Get New Mexico state a all sports invite to the MWC(to replace New Mexico) I don't actually think they would go to California to expand. I think(might be only me) They would go for a Louisiana School(Tulane,Louisiana Tech) They might even go for Tulsa.(this could guarantee the Texas schools a trip to Oklahoma every year.)

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Well, the "smoke" is emulating from the programs dropping major coin on new infrastructure or improvements:

-Colorado State's OCS is a 9-digit job (but the basketball arena only updated its court and not seating)
-Tulane has spent $250m+ over the last seven years, which isn't as impressive as some schools, and includes some Katrina repairs, but it includes an indoor facility, the OCS, and work to the basketball arena
-Rice is fixing the football stadium at something like $40m, ripping down seats but building practice/gym space in the reno
-Houston's $210m new stadium/arena
-SMU's investments
-Cincinnati plans a $86m upgrade to its football stadium, with more seating and more luxury suites...no skirting past what their intentions are

So, those are some of your upgrade prospects. Who knows...but one can't deny the amount of improvements going on within Texas...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:40 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

UTEP needs a DFW and Houston area school to play in front of their alumni. C-USA best fits that description. The only other conferences that work for them are the American and Big 12. The Big 12 won't add anyone in the Mountain Time Zone with WVU in the fold unless if it is for football only.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
UTEP needs a DFW and Houston area school to play in front of their alumni. C-USA best fits that description.

Considering there's material on their school's official athletic page making mention that it wasn't up to UTEP that they didn't follow their old WAC brethern to the MWC, I think the guys in El Paso think otherwise.

They were a stud in the WAC. Then they got left behind. And they're still back there today.

This has got to be killing them that they're stuck in the same conference with UNT, UTSA, and Rice. And once UTSA slips by them, they might as well just drop the act and call it a career...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
wbyeager wrote:
UTEP needs a DFW and Houston area school to play in front of their alumni. C-USA best fits that description.

Considering there's material on their school's official athletic page making mention that it wasn't up to UTEP that they didn't follow their old WAC brethern to the MWC, I think the guys in El Paso think otherwise.

They were a stud in the WAC. Then they got left behind. And they're still back there today.

This has got to be killing them that they're stuck in the same conference with UNT, UTSA, and Rice. And once UTSA slips by them, they might as well just drop the act and call it a career...

Yeah, UTEP even came out and said they're interested in joining the MWC but we can't take them now b/c we'd be at 13. Basically UTEP was 1 year late letting us know and we settled for USU and SJSU.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

UTEP could join the MWC (for all sports), IF only Hawaii would not be the factor, regardless of being late with San Jose St. and Utah St. joining for the 2013-14 season.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, it sounded like UTEP hitched its wagon to schools like Tulsa and Tulane...who didn't think that much of UTEP in return.

I don't know if it's true, but I had heard that UNM wasn't fond of UTEP...and not just the proximity factor, but that UTEP wasn't high on NMSU, and that UNM kind of was.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:57 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

What is your guys thought on a school like Montana or a Dakota school as a choice for sun belt? For Idaho's sake

I know Montana said they where going to wait on Montana St, but it doesn't hurt to try.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:46 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Peter Hunt wrote:
What is your guys thought on a school like Montana or a Dakota school as a choice for sun belt? For Idaho's sake

I know Montana said they where going to wait on Montana St, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I don't even think the Sun Belt wants Idaho or NMSU at all. They basically had to take them to revamp from losing a good chunk of their schools to C-USA to the point where they couldn't lose any more football members.

The best option for the Sun Belt right now would be to find a school in or near their footprint that has made it clear that they want to upgrade, then find a way to help the school make it work financially. James Madison or Delaware would be good, and I'm surprised nothing has happened with them yet. Or they could try to get a school like Florida Gulf Coast to start football and fast-track up to FBS like how South Alabama did.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:41 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Yeah, I agree with you 100% about JMU and Deleware as number 1 choices...but want them or not NMSU and Idaho are in the Sunbelt, NMSU has Texas St and I think they are a great add. But You don't think Idaho should get a travel partner too?

I think Montana could bring a lot to sunbelt, if they even want to be in. But since they want to wait for Montana St. Maybe a Dakota school could help?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:01 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

For the Sunbelt to be successful and stable they need to maintain a regional footprint in the southeast and dump Idaho (and then New Mexico St) at the earliest convenience when geographically suitable FCS programs are ready and prepared to move. yes JMU and Delaware would be nice but right now there is only one opening and it would be a hard sell to bring one up without the other. There is also the possibility that the MAC could move into the region and establish an eastern flank.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:26 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If the Sunbelt is having trouble getting James Madison and squeamish about Liberty than why not consider an HBCU? Florida A&M and Tennessee St would both be suitable to the conference footprint and fill the need for a 6th eastern school. Tennessee St gives you the Nashville market back (lost when MTSU and WKU left) while FAMU would give the SBC access to Florida recruits again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 88  Next