NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:33 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Not that many good choices.

If you stay in Louisiana, you have Louisiana Tech or Lafayette.
If you skip Louisiana and go into Texas, you have Houston, SMU, UTEP and North Texas.
Or, you could move North and claim Marshall.

Not sure which is the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

courtjester wrote:

If you skip Louisiana and go into Texas, you have Houston, SMU, UTEP and North Texas.

Oh! Lafayette in Louisiana (a.k.a. ULM or Louisiana-Lafayette) from the Sun Belt? I thought it was Lafayette of the Patriot League, which lead me to doubt. LOL! Speaking of North, it should be either Marshall or VCU (if VCU plans to have a football team, and the Rams were a former member of the old Metro). However if it's based on South, it has to be Louisiana Tech of UL-Lafayette, or possibly UL-Monroe. Otherwise, Tulane should stay.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:52 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Those in the bayou don't refer to it as University of Louisiana-Lafayette...they call it University of Lafayette or Lafayette for short.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:54 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I don't think VCU would get invited without a football team. La. Tech issue is with Metro size. Most of the schools we named have a pretty sizable city/metro population. Lafayette, maybe Marshall, are the only ones that might apply that also carry football.

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
courtjester wrote:

Oh! Lafayette in Louisiana (a.k.a. ULM or Louisiana-Lafayette) from the Sun Belt? I thought it was Lafayette of the Patriot League, which lead me to doubt. LOL! Speaking of North, it should be either Marshall or VCU (if VCU plans to have a football team, and the Rams were a former member of the old Metro). However if it's based on South, it has to be Louisiana Tech of UL-Lafayette, or possibly UL-Monroe. Otherwise, Tulane should stay.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:12 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

This idea isn't so much dream conferences in terms of shear awesomeness but dream conferences in terms of practicality--I think C-USA and the Sunbelt should call a truce and reform into two geographically pragmatic conferences.

Conference 1
West Division: New Mexico St, UTEP, UTSA, Texas St, North Texas, (UT Arlington/ no fb), Rice
East Division: LA Tech, UL Lafayette, UL Monroe, Arkansas St, (UALR/ no fb), Southern Miss, UAB

Conference 2
North Division: Marshall, Old Dominion, Appalachian St, Charlotte, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee
South Division: South Alabama, Troy, Georgia St, Georgia Southern, FAU, FIU

This could be easily tweaked (i.e. leaving out NMSU or the non-football schools or adding schools like JMU and Delaware). It made sense for the 2005-2012 C-USA to be geographically spread out when they were the best non-BCS conference in the region but now they aren't--the American is; so why maintain the big footprint and large travel budgets? Conference 1, with the additions of the UL schools and Arkansas St, is arguably stronger on the football field than the 2014 and 2015 C-USA with all of its untried upgrades and the weak FL programs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:15 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

fighting muskie wrote:
This idea isn't so much dream conferences in terms of shear awesomeness but dream conferences in terms of practicality--I think C-USA and the Sunbelt should call a truce and reform into two geographically pragmatic conferences.

Conference 1
West Division: New Mexico St, UTEP, UTSA, Texas St, North Texas, (UT Arlington/ no fb), Rice
East Division: LA Tech, UL Lafayette, UL Monroe, Arkansas St, (UALR/ no fb), Southern Miss, UAB

Conference 2
North Division: Marshall, Old Dominion, Appalachian St, Charlotte, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee

This could be easily tweaked (i.e. leaving out NMSU or the non-football schools or adding schools like JMU and Delaware). It made sense for the 2005-2012 C-USA to be geographically spread out when they were the best non-BCS conference in the region but now they aren't--the American is; so why maintain the big footprint and large travel budgets? Conference 1, with the additions of the UL schools and Arkansas St, is arguably stronger on the football field than the 2014 and 2015 C-USA with all of its untried upgrades and the weak FL programs.

I like it! It would be great if the Tier 2B conferences like that would ever consider forming a better regional conference setup. But with TV money factor, alas, it's a dream.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Conference 1

Conference 2

I like it! It would be great if the Tier 2B conferences like that would ever consider forming a better regional conference setup. But with TV money factor, alas, it's a dream.

It has to be related with a regional background. Both the Sun Belt and C-USA are technically in the Southeast, like the SEC.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:37 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
It has to be related with a regional background. Both the Sun Belt and C-USA are technically in the Southeast, like the SEC.

That's using the term Southeast very liberally. UTEP and Old Dominion in the same league doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Hacking off the 7 Eastern members of C-USA and swapping them for schools in Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana makes for a lot more compact league with far more regional rivalries. I like the idea of an all-Texas division (with New Mexico St which is like diet Texas) and there is already plenty of animosity between the Louisiana schools and Arkansas St; Southern Miss and UAB have had a rivalry essentially since the start of UAB's program.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

That's using the term Southeast very liberally. UTEP and Old Dominion in the same league doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Hacking off the 7 Eastern members of C-USA and swapping them for schools in Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana makes for a lot more compact league with far more regional rivalries. I like the idea of an all-Texas division (with New Mexico St which is like diet Texas) and there is already plenty of animosity between the Louisiana schools and Arkansas St; Southern Miss and UAB have had a rivalry essentially since the start of UAB's program.

I also believe that UAB and South Alabama should start a rivalry because they're intra-state rivals also.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:42 pm 
Senior
Senior

I've always been a fan of the relegation system in sports. The relegation process would still need to be determined. May use the bowls or just switch the top 2 of a lower tier with the bottom 2 of the upper tier above. While I believe it fits professional athletics far easier than collegiate, I wanted to play around with the idea. One of the things I like about smaller-sized confererences, more specifically 10, is that the conferences can schedule 9 conference games, so each team plays every conference member. So I combined the two ideas for current FBS schools and schools making the move in the coming years. I came up with a 3-tiered system with kind of a "glitch," but nothing that couldn't be fixed with strong minds. I split the teams in to four "zones," trying to balance them out regionally and talent-wise. Also, some schools, may not be in their "regional" fit, like Notre Dame, but those differences were because of variables like preference and what not. Its obviously not going to be perfect. Some overlap was inevitable. Here goes:

WEST ZONE
Tier 1: Boise St, BYU, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, TCU, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, Washington
Tier 2: Air Force, Arizona, Arizona St, California, Colorado St, Fresno St, Nevada, San Diego St, Utah, Utah St
Tier 3: Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, New Mexico St, San Jose St, UNLV, UTEP, Washington St, Wyoming

SOUTH ZONE
Tier 1: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Mississippi St, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M
Tier 2: Arkansas St, Auburn, Baylor, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi, Rice, SMU, UCF, Vanderbilt
Tier 3: FAU, FIU, Memphis, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Southern Miss, Troy, UAB, UL Lafayette, UL Monroe

MIDWEST ZONE
Tier 1: Arkansas, Kansas St, Michigan, Michigan St, Missouri, Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Ohio St, Wisconsin
Tier 2: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa St, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, Purdue, Toledo, Tulsa
Tier 3: Akron, Ball St, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kansas, Kent St, Miami OH, Western Kentucky, Western Michigan

EAST REGION
Tier 1: Cincinnati, Clemson, Florida St, Louisville, Miami FL, Notre Dame, Penn St, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, West Virginia
Tier 2: East Carolina, Georgia Tech, Navy, NC St, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, UNC, USF, Virginia
Tier 3: Army, Boston College, Buffalo, Connecticut, Duke, Marshall, Maryland, Massachusetts, Temple, Wake Forest

That leaves the "glitch" I mentioned earlier...

Group: Appalachian St, Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Georgia St, Old Dominion, South Alabama, Texas St, Tulane, UTSA

Scheduling: play everyone in your tier (9 games), plus a team in each of the other "Zones" from the same level tier as you (3 games). Total regular season: 12 games. The champion from each zone would go into the College Football Playoffs.

Bowls: It seems as if we're going to have a bowl game for every team eventually because conferences keep wanting to create bowls. It's ridiculous, but it is what it is. Assuming so, use bowl games to match up teams that haven't played each other from the other zones in the same tier (trying to match regular season performance of course). However, the bottom two teams from an upper tier would play the top two teams from the tier just below it in bowl games (Tier 1 Team #9 v Tier 2 Team #2, Tier 1 Team #10 v Tier 2 Team #1). These would be some pretty awesome matchups with a lot at stake.

Any comments/ideas/praises/extremely harsh criticisms?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

BePcr07---I gotta admire the effort behind your relegation scheme. The tricky theme with coming up with these great "what if" scenarios is that that they are purely speculative. Another way they can get tricky is that some regions are truly top heavy in terms of quality and quantity of programs as I'm sure you discovered. Something you might want to consider is relegation/promotion within existing conferences---i.e. Which Big 12 program is the weakest and merits a downgrade and which program within their footprint has earned he right to ascend into a major league?

If I had to pick he weakest program in each of the Power 5 conferences I'd have to say Washington St, Kansas, Indiana, Boston College, and Kentucky.

As for replacements I'd go--
Pac 12---Boise St
Big 12---Tulsa
Big 10---Cincinnati
ACC---UConn
SEC---Central Florida

You also have to consider that with the 10 Conferences in FBS their is a hierarchy within the hierarchy too. Ask any ACC school--they would much rather have the money and prestige of being a Big 10 or SEC member.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:58 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Disagree. UNC, FSU, and Clemson had opportunities to go to the SEC...they turned it down.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:51 am 
All-Star
All-Star

courtjester wrote:
Disagree. UNC, FSU, and Clemson had opportunities to go to the SEC...they turned it down.

No disrespect, but I personally don't want FSU to go to any other conference, nor the Big 12 of the SEC. Unless there would be a proposal of reviving the Metro Conference, bringing back almost all the members (who at least have football in their current athletics list, like UNC-Charlotte, the recent one to sponsor the sport), and FSU (along with Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech) would join with some of those ex-C-USA/American schools (L'Ville, Cincy, Memphis, UAB, USF, etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:15 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Since we're talking dream conferences, what if the eastern independents would have partnered with the ACC to create the first super league and started a chain reaction that led to super conferences across the board?:

ACC--Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, WF, NC St, UNC, Duke, UVA, VT, Maryland, WVU, Pitt, Penn St, Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers?, Temple?

The Big Ten in turns goes after most of the Big 8 and Notre Dame---Ohio St, Michigan, Mich St, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas St?, Oklahoma St?

The SEC goes after the best of the SWC---UK, Tenn, Vandy, SC, UGA, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, Arkansas, LSU, Texas, A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor

The PAC 10 has to follow suit and adds Colorado and 5 members of the old WAC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Since we're talking dream conferences, what if the eastern independents would have partnered with the ACC to create the first super league and started a chain reaction that led to super conferences across the board?:

ACC--Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, WF, NC St, UNC, Duke, UVA, VT, Maryland, WVU, Pitt, Penn St, Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers?, Temple?

The Big Ten in turns goes after most of the Big 8 and Notre Dame---Ohio St, Michigan, Mich St, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas St?, Oklahoma St?

The SEC goes after the best of the SWC---UK, Tenn, Vandy, SC, UGA, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, Arkansas, LSU, Texas, A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor

The PAC 10 has to follow suit and adds Colorado and 5 members of the old WAC

Lovely plan. But which 5 of the old WAC would be in the Pac-10, according to you? And I would see UMass in the ACC. The "Big 8" side of the Big 12 would be very fit for the Big TEN. And the rest of the Big 12 (making the former SWC crew + TCU) would fit well for the SEC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next