NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1966 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 132  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Good point about the ND factor. I've long thought the B1G is where they most belonged in terms of an all-sports set-up.
I try to separate the religious dimension of the university from the strategic decisions of it's leadership. That, though, is hard to do when the institution makes it a part of its justifications. Gee tied the aspects together in an unflattering way.

In many respects, I admire ND. Where I am critical, is the excessive enabling by others. What the B1G has done, is help feed ND carrots; and ND eats them, then seeks more, and extends little to nothing in return. Any Queen is going to feel entitled from bestowed gifts.

The ACC is now the biggest enabler of ND of them all--surpassing the old BE and BCS alliance. So the ACC got 5 fb games per year with ND. The real price tag shall show later.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:27 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Johns Hopkins lacrosse reportedly to announce intent to join Big Ten on Monday http://t.co/sysBFRffqs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:14 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I know this isn't an ECAC lacrosse board but wow, things just got dismal for the other schools left in that lacrosse league. Fairfield probably just starts playing MAAC lax--not sure why they don't already. Bellarmine might fit into the A-Sun/SoCon league but I have no idea what Hobart and Air Force will do

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I thought ECAC's only shot with JHU was the utter desperation that would have given the 'Jays everything they wanted. Fairfield will be pushing hard for CAA or Patriot now, and maybe the others go independent. Hobart and Bellarmine sound like Big East schools. Maybe AFA goes to the ACC with ND's blessing?

So, I guess it really was an easy decision.

As for ND and the B1G, I think it shows how the two really are made for each other. The B1G clearly talks only to presidents and maybe AD's and then put schools in tight spots with the rest being afterthoughts. Not classy. But I don't recall a more public relationship than the one with ND, and it doesn't tend to reflect well on the Irish when they say they keep their lines open and talk freely and often and then do something entirely else.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Men and Women's lax in the B1G begins 2015. JHU parking men's program there.

Edit: JHU will be contacting the CIC for inclusion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:36 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I'm kind of surprised no one remarked on this article.

Gee talked alot about expansion after he slurred Catholics and the SEC.

11:49: “I would see potentially Missouri and Kansas (for the B1G).
By the way it goes without saying this all has to be speculation that remains right here.
And I could also see a T that goes south all according to what happens with the ACC, but we need to be ready to move.”

I have never seen it mentioned, but I would love for the B1G to pick up Missouri. They are like a hole in their footprint map.

http://college-football.si.com/2013/05/ ... -comments/

He also says, "but I think we’re moving precipitously toward about three or four superconferences of about 16 to 20 teams."

Wow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

KJ -

Thanks for posting this. I as curious as to what all Gee said.

I live in Missouri, and have 2 Mizzou-ers at home.
When Delany announced expansion to 12, Missouri (including the Governor) were literally throwing themselves at the Big Ten.
They do seem like a great fit, contguous, land-grant, 2 big TV markets, AAU (or whatever it's called membership).
Did Delany disdain them for the republic lobbying ? Dunno
But there seems to be a "settling in" with the SEC. Mizzou was rather pissed at the Big Ten rejection.

I grew up in Pennsylvania. Paterno had this grudge against Pitt, dating back to the 1970s and Jackie Sherrill.
All the folks Paterno despised are long-gone, yet Paterno seemed to hold the grudge to his death.
Will that change with their new administration ? It's hard to keep up the hatred, when the rivalry has become a distant memory.

Could the Big Ten get KU without KSU ? Hmmm.....

Notre Dame - Notre Dame was courted heavily in 1998 and again about 5 years later.
I had thought an invitation was in place in 1998, but the alumni rebelled against losing FB independence, after the ND administration agreed to the move.
Maybe technically no FORMAL invitation was given, since that may actually happen only when the invitee has completed an application process and unequivocally agreed to join.

Gee's comment about the SEC seems rather childish. Gee was formerly president (?) at Vanderbilt.
So he contends that his former institution cranks out nit-wits ? Please....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:58 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

It's amazing what people will say when they think it's private.
My favorite quote might be when Gee said that Pitt will never be in the Big Ten because Penn State loathes Pitt.
Dishy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 am 
All-Star
All-Star

kjtalbot wrote:
It's amazing what people will say when they think it's private.
My favorite quote might be when Gee said that Pitt will never be in the Big Ten because Penn State loathes Pitt.
Dishy.

It's bull. I don't doubt guys like Jordan, Spanier, and Curly wanted no part of sharing PA with Pitt in the Big Ten, but PSU alone didn't block Pitt. Pitt fans will also throw in there that it was Paterno...I don't think so. The guy might have been a jerk at times, but he saw the value of an eastern cluster that revolved around his PSU and Pitt.

And honestly, since it never congealed up in these parts, he was right. The power of the northeast was shared by the likes of PSU, VT, Notre Dame, OSU, and Miami since the 80's and 90's. Only PSU resides in the territory...the others just used a conference or years of political in-fighting to steal the talent right from under them.

Gee hinted that the situation with Pitt was like Iowa State and Cincinnati. So, if the Big Ten did let Pitt in, Ohio politics would demand Cincinnati as Iowa would for Iowa State. Yeah, maybe PSU advocated for others ahead of Pitt...but it's going to take more than one school to not consider Pitt. So, to that extent...Gee was probably just as guilty as not plucking Pitt...he just wouldn't throw his own work under the bus. And I see you over there, Iowa.

With the idiots Gee and Spanier both gone, here's hoping if expansion does happen, it gets back to the core of picking up great schools no matter the geographic redundancy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Chicago discussing Big Ten fight to expand it's footprint in NYC at http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/07/06/ ... -big-apple

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I saw multiple articles ran last week by the Charleston Post & Courier (SC) about the ACC's fanfare in NYC over adding Pitt, 'Cuse, and ND (in part). What was most interesting was the analogy as to what happened with NASCAR.
Sure, NYC is the HQ for bigtime media, advertising, and masses of people.
Is it the BIG's PSU, Maryland, and Rutgers that is going to have the upper edge coupled with midwestern mega-campuses? Or shall it be the ACC, emphasizing bb, now that Pitt, 'Cuse, partial ND, BC, L'ville, along with the southern ACC schools, showcase the expanded ACC?

Maybe the B12 would be smart to get in on the act? Get Cincy, Temple, and, of course, the prized UCONN, if proximity to NYC is so coveted for the exposure, money, and oodles of fans? Toss in UMASS & perhaps SUNY-Buffalo while at it.

Gezz, I am already missing the old Big East; they were the real masters of northeast conference confusion and over-blown expectations going awry.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:55 pm 
Senior
Senior

sec03 wrote:
I saw multiple articles ran last week by the Charleston Post & Courier (SC) about the ACC's fanfare in NYC over adding Pitt, 'Cuse, and ND (in part). What was most interesting was the analogy as to what happened with NASCAR.
Sure, NYC is the HQ for bigtime media, advertising, and masses of people.
Is it the BIG's PSU, Maryland, and Rutgers that is going to have the upper edge coupled with midwestern mega-campuses? Or shall it be the ACC, emphasizing bb, now that Pitt, 'Cuse, partial ND, BC, L'ville, along with the southern ACC schools, showcase the expanded ACC?

Maybe the B12 would be smart to get in on the act? Get Cincy, Temple, and, of course, the prized UCONN, if proximity to NYC is so coveted for the exposure, money, and oodles of fans? Toss in UMASS & perhaps SUNY-Buffalo while at it.

Gezz, I am already missing the old Big East; they were the real masters of northeast conference confusion and over-blown expectations going awry.

You also have to add in the new big east for basketball. The AAC will have a smaller presence there.(more then the MAC though) I personally think the area would be overly saturated with teams to chose from(to follow) I figure the NEC is like the Big West in California and it's hard to find a game on here.(i live about a hour from uc riverside)

In short before it was primarily a Big East area and now the market will be at best split 2 ways for football and possibly 3 or more ways in basketball. While i think the conferences would gain more viewers and money it wouldn't be as much as they think.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Put simply, I think both the ACC and B1G lost and the region will become further alienated from college football because of the lack of any institutional cohesion.

It's just stupid...even while I'm excited that PSU gets its games with Rutgers and UMD, I know full well what two games drew the most interest there. It's the same with the ACC...Pitt and Syracuse really need WVU, PSU, and UMD to go with BC and VT in order for more people to care.

UConn, Temple, UMass, and Cincinnati might as well be New Mexico State in these parts...they don't have deep roots to the "power" schools of the region. Army and Navy do, but they'll never be anything to the Big Ten or ACC, and beyond their game together, the interest dips depending on the matchup.

Notre Dame adds nothing if they're beating up on some of the northern ACC members but not getting looks with Michigan and Penn State. It's the credibility factor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:46 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Put simply, I think both the ACC and B1G lost and the region will become further alienated from college football because of the lack of any institutional cohesion.

It's just stupid...even while I'm excited that PSU gets its games with Rutgers and UMD, I know full well what two games drew the most interest there. It's the same with the ACC...Pitt and Syracuse really need WVU, PSU, and UMD to go with BC and VT in order for more people to care.

UConn, Temple, UMass, and Cincinnati might as well be New Mexico State in these parts...they don't have deep roots to the "power" schools of the region. Army and Navy do, but they'll never be anything to the Big Ten or ACC, and beyond their game together, the interest dips depending on the matchup.

Notre Dame adds nothing if they're beating up on some of the northern ACC members but not getting looks with Michigan and Penn State. It's the credibility factor.

Agreed. It's too bad that in the early '90's no one had the foresight to see mega conferences were on the horizon. Ideally, all of these northeastern programs, Penn St included, would have partnered with let's say the ACC, and formed the northern division of a solid league spanning the whole eastern seaboard. This might have spurred a chain reaction and with the Big Ten absorbing most of the Big 8, the SEC absorbing the best of the SWC, and the PAC 10 taking programs like Colorado and the best of what was then the WAC. The end product could have been 4 regional conferences--north, south, east, and west.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Stirring the pot again, Dodd says the Big Ten isn't done expanding.

UMD's Loh said as much that his school was part of a big plan. I doubt it just meant them and Rutgers.

Can't help but think the B1G is tired of the PAC's waffling and isn't going to wait anymore for what they do out there. It wasn't the Big XII schools who walked from the PAC, and it wasn't the B1G who walked from B1G-PAC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1966 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 132  Next