NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

You could very well be correct with your assessment of how this turns out going forward.

My point is that Temple paid some exit fees to secure their release from the A-10, and moved on to the AAC (thinking that was an upward move, but admittedly predicated on the "football is king" mentality).
Whether you are in the MAC or AAC, the schools you mention are in leagues now that are moving toward 9-game schedules and only have so much room for OOC games.
Since the Big Ten issued an edict of no more FCS OOC games, that may make it more likkly that Temple can schedule them for one of their 3 OOC games in future years.
I would think Pitt and Syracuse would schedule them. I'm not sure they get into that many "turf wars" over recruiting to shun Temple.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Mark Blaudschun blog article(scroll down)mentioning "possibility"that MAC "may" try to force UMass to join that league for allsports at http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=6948

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:09 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Mark Blaudschun blog article(scroll down)mentioning "possibility"that MAC "may" try to force UMass to join that league for allsports at http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=6948

I'm curious as to where Mark got this information. If its true than I think the logical place to go for the Minutemen is to seek affiliate membership with the Sunbelt. They need a 12th school and they seem o be having trouble getting one from the FCS ranks. Unless the Minutemen have really, REALLY good friends in Storrs and Philadelphia prepared to whine, cry, kick, and scream on their behalf the Minutemen will not be joining the AAC unless Navy backs out and the Midshipmen haven't given any indication that this is the case.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

I'm curious as to where Mark got this information. If its true than I think the logical place to go for the Minutemen is to seek affiliate membership with the Sunbelt. They need a 12th school and they seem o be having trouble getting one from the FCS ranks. Unless the Minutemen have really, REALLY good friends in Storrs and Philadelphia prepared to whine, cry, kick, and scream on their behalf the Minutemen will not be joining the AAC unless Navy backs out and the Midshipmen haven't given any indication that this is the case.

Just a thought but would it be worth it for all sports since they haven't made the tourney since 1998? They'd have an easier path to the tourney and house their fb in a conf. that is more suitable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:33 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If the MAC's all-or-nothing demand on UMass rumor is true it must mean they are interested in 1-3 other teams. If the goal is 16 then Delaware and James Madison would be logical moves. Hard to say who the 16th pick would be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:26 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

fighting muskie wrote:
If the MAC's all-or-nothing demand on UMass rumor is true it must mean they are interested in 1-3 other teams. If the goal is 16 then Delaware and James Madison would be logical moves. Hard to say who the 16th pick would be.

Or perhaps the MAC just wants to get rid of UMass football because:
1) CFP revenue per school is maximized with 12 schools
2) UMass is a drag on MAC strength of schedule

If the MAC does want UMass as a full member, then they should wait until after the Sun Belt adds another football school to issue their ultimatum. With no other FBS positions available, UMass would likely accept full membership, because moving back down to FCS seems like the kind of decision that gets university presidents and/or athletic directors fired. (Not that moving olympic sports from the A10 to the MAC would be without risks, but probably much less.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:

Illinois St. has been brought up

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I always thought that Youngstown State belonged in the MAC, but have no idea if they ever discuss that.

With regard to waiting for the Sun-Belt to foreclose UMass's options, there may be a contractual deadline prior to June 30th (the NCAA conf. switching deadline) that the MAC has to abide by.
Not sure, just a guess on my part....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I've thought for awhile James Madison Univ. (Harrisonburg, Va.) would fit fine in the MAC with an upgrade. They have a nice, recently expanded stadium and prior FCS championship.

Youngstown State is right there among the core of the MAC, but another Ohio school whereby there is already six, and Akron and Kent are so close? Maybe, if the MAC was indeed all about Ohio and Michigan members. But the MAC wants to look 'expanded', and more tight concentration does little for that or more national/greater regional exposure. It's sorta like in the days when ECU wanted so bad in the ACC before they gave up on the thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:20 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The new guy Dennis has an excellent point--the MAC's ultimatum would have a lot more teeth if the Sunbelt had 12 members. They could very well be using this as a ploy to cut UMass out of their share of the playoff revenue. Either that, or they aren't completely ruthless but want them gone and don't want to leave UMass high and dry without a football home so they are acting before the SBC's window of opportunity closes.

SEC03 I agree about Youngstown St. They definitely fit the MAC mold and would be a better fit in the MAC than in the MVFC/Horizon. Heck, their average home game attendance is better than some MAC schools. The problem is that I suspect hat Akron and Kent St are blocking them due to proximity.

Illinois St isn't a terrible idea--they have relatively solid attendance and aren't all the way out in the Dakotas.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, the upgrades include the likes of Delaware, Illinois St., Missouri St., JMU, UNI, Towson, Stony Brook, and the Dakota State schools; likelihood spans the gamut.

They do want UMass, and it makes sense to take them: institutionally very similar to the MAC schools. Football takes a little hit until UMass improves, but the hoops gets back onto solid ground, and into the east where they aren't under the thumb of the Big Ten.

Two schools I watch with interest are James Madison and Old Dominion. I think these two were supposed to move together, but got separated in the flurry of expansion politics (CUSA is still way too TX heavy). I wonder if one pulls the other...JMU to CUSA, or eventually both JMU and ODU to the MAC? Same goes for Charlotte...that's not the CUSA they signed up for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:17 pm 
Senior
Senior

As mentioned in the Sun Belt realignment thread, while Army doesn't have to join a conference, the best fit seems to be the MAC. Their stint in CUSA was weird. They're in the MAC's geographical footprint and their recent level of play would fit them well in the MAC. Personally, I know it wouldn't happen, but I'd love to see Navy jump in the MAC. That way their divisional game against Army wouldn't waste an OOC game slot. So the MAC would be:
West - Northern Illinois, Ball St, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Toledo, Bowling Green, Miami (OH)
East - Akron, Kent St, Ohio, Buffalo, Massachusetts (if they stay), Army, Navy, ***8th member (JMU? Marshall? Western Kentucky (go West, move Miami (OH) East))***

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
As mentioned in the Sun Belt realignment thread, while Army doesn't have to join a conference, the best fit seems to be the MAC. Their stint in CUSA was weird. They're in the MAC's geographical footprint and their recent level of play would fit them well in the MAC. Personally, I know it wouldn't happen, but I'd love to see Navy jump in the MAC. That way their divisional game against Army wouldn't waste an OOC game slot. So the MAC would be:
West - Northern Illinois, Ball St, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Toledo, Bowling Green, Miami (OH)
East - Akron, Kent St, Ohio, Buffalo, Massachusetts (if they stay), Army, Navy, ***8th member (JMU? Marshall? Western Kentucky (go West, move Miami (OH) East))***

The service academies don't care about travel cost. They only care about #1 what will help them recruit (for the Army not the fb team) and #2 not getting slaughtered (thus looking bad).

Old CUSA (basically current AAC) solved #1 but not #2 (they got hammered)
Joining the MAC would solve #2 but not #1 (basically just Ohio/Michigan w/ an occasional game in either Ill/Ind)
Neither solve(d) both.

The new CUSA would be good but they would have to expand to 16 and most likely force a 9 game schedule on them which when you add in the Navy/AFA games they'd only have 1 true OOC game so that's not a real option.

Army wants a game in the West, SW, South, and Midwest just about every year.

The SBC could give them a game in the South and Southwest every year and with an 8 game schedule they could still schedule Navy, AFA, a school in Cali, and a school in the Midwest to keep their national recruiting on track and it also happens to be the easiest conference in all of FBS who only has a core of 4 tested schools in Ark St, ULL, ULM, and Troy, everyone else is a recent upgrades with the exception of the fb only doormats of the West.

Alabama, Texas, North Carolina and Georgia are all in the top 12 of Army recruitment penetration and when you add in their neighbors Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina they can touch base with half of their top 12 regularly in just conference play.
http://www.dailyyonder.com/largest-shar ... 03/02/1962

Army doesn't want to be in a dying rust belt conference that primarily confines them to Ohio/Michigan. In addition to hurting their non-colligate recruiting for the service by limiting them to the Midwest, it would also most likely be a repeat of what happened in CUSA. Army has only really beaten 5 MAC teams in the past 5 years: Kent St in 2010 and Ball St in 2009, and EMU in '08, '09, '10; and racked up a total of 15 losses over that same time frame giving them an average W-L record of 1-3 which if we double that it would give Army an average conference record of 2-6 over the last 5 years which if we multiply by 6 we get 12-36 which is only slightly better (1/2 game a year better) than their 6 year total in CUSA from 98-04 which was 9-41.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:06 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

As I said over in the Sunbelt thread, the solution for Army and Navy to accomplish the goal of 1-National Exposure and 2-Not getting slaughtered is to make contracts with each of the other excluded conferences (MAC, SBC, C-USA, AAC, and MWC) for 2 games a piece each season. It gives both academies a variety of opponents across the nation and schedules that would regularly produce winning seasons and bowl trips.

I have genuine concerns about Navy's success in the AAC. I think UConn, ECU, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Tulsa, SMU, and Houston will all typically field teams that are better than Navy's. The schools I think Navy would be at the same competitive level at are Temple, Tulane, and Memphis and the later two will both be playing in the west and Navy will only see them each every other year. To me it seems like Navy is setting themselves for a lot of 1-7, 2-6, and 3-5 conference records. Unlike other schools who can pad their OOC schedule Navy's OOC schedule is going to be two fierce OOC rivalry games against the other two academies, a loss to Navy per tradition, and a win against a FCS opponent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Buffalo Bulls continue to push a
New York State of mind

The University at Buffalo has been re-branding everything this summer. The school is not officially changing anything but the Athletics Department, under the guidance of new director Danny White, is doing everything he can within the confines of the State University system.

First it was the basketball court and now it seems the football jerseys are getting a subtle upgrade. The change is in the form of a new patch above the numbers clearly accentuates NEW YORK, which is different from previous jerseys that just said BUFFALO.

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2013/7/23/4548982/buffalo-bulls-continue-to-push-a-new-york-state-of-mind

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next