NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 214  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

In case the Big 12 stays in 10 members, and then certain schools plan to join other conferences like the SEC or the Big TEN or the Pac-12, the conference would have no choice but to disintegrate. On another note, how about having New Mexico State and Idaho in the Big XII instead of the Sun Belt?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:24 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
lew240z wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
With those bylaws, will this prevent the conference of doing some future expansion?

No, they are only slightly modified from the bylaws in effect before losing NU and CU. Any new schools will have to agree to the bylaws, GoR, and the conference rules and a couple of other items.

Oh, ok. Just wondering. But I still believe that the Big XII can still revert back to 12 teams in the future.

Perhaps, I wasn't clear in my last response. There is nothing in the bylaws which prevents the conference from expanding.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Well, why not Idaho and NMSU? If any expansion only adds to the per-school payouts, then what's the big deal?

Ah...because according to the bylaws, that "land grab for cash" could be a violation of the ones furthering academic merit and revenue generation. So even if nine of the ten schools are fine with expanding with just anyone, the one sour-puss can, in theory, challenge the validity of the whole measure on the bylaws. Bylaws violated = GoR invalidated.

To an extent, one wonders if USF, UCF, or Cincy could ever get into the conference even if there was a super-majority wanting them there. And probably why there was such a chase for schools like FSU and Clemson: these were the only type of schools the Big XII would unanimously want.

...and by the way the GoR and bylaws read, it doesn't sound like there is as much of an issue regarding BYU and the Big XII and their respective media deals than it looks. So, is it *just* the Sunday thing, or can't they get the votes or the go-ahead without someone taking the conference hostage?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Well, why not Idaho and NMSU? If any expansion only adds to the per-school payouts, then what's the big deal?

Is my idea of putting Idaho and New Mexico St. in the Big XII a bad one? If so, explain.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

Is my idea of putting Idaho and New Mexico St. in the Big XII a bad one? If so, explain.

Well, I wouldn't say "bad" on the basis of potential revenue generation. They could take anyone and make more money.

The bylaws say:

Quote:
SECTION 1.3
MISSION AND INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSIBILITY

1.3.1 Mission. The mission of the Conference is to:

1.3.1.1 Advance standards of scholarship, sportsmanship and equity
consistent with the highest ideals of Conference membership.

1.3.1.2 Support the development of national-championship caliber intercollegiate
athletic programs.

1.3.1.3 Organize, promote and administer intercollegiate athletics among its
member institutions.

1.3.1.4 Optimize revenues and provide supporting services compatible
with both academic and competitive excellence.

1.3.1.5 Encourage collaboration in areas beyond athletics that builds good-will
between institutions and promotes the overall missions of the universities.

I think the sections in bold rule them out. These programs aren't bringing much other than themselves. They aren't big schools, and they aren't big programs. They don't bring much of a market. Both programs were said to be investigating potential reclassification for football depending on their current conference situation. Dog house to big house might be Rutgers' story, but at least they're a big, top-tier national university, AAU, and a quick trip from NYC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
On another note, how about having New Mexico State and Idaho in the Big XII instead of the Sun Belt?

Love to see the Sooners, Longhorns, and Jayhawks visit the Kibbie Dome. Also, while there, get some good 'taters & raft/fish the Snake River.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
On another note, how about having New Mexico State and Idaho in the Big XII instead of the Sun Belt?

Love to see the Sooners, Longhorns, and Jayhawks visit the Kibbie Dome. Also, while there, get some good 'taters & raft/fish the Snake River.

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Frank the Tank agreeing with my analysis of the Big12 GOR though still doubtful on it being challenged/overturned.
http://frankthetank.me/2013/08/08/summe ... agreement/

Still if the PAC takes Texas, TXTech, OU, OSU, KU, and K State and convinces the ACC to take WVU and 1 of Iowa St, TCU or Baylor; then they have enough votes to dissolve the conference.

The ACC could be secure as the clear cut #4, and try to lock up the Big 12's Sugar Bowl bid.

But how's this for a conspiracy theory...

The ACC likes WVU but doesn't want ISU/TCU/Baylor as they would look geographically funky in the conference and they would rather take UConn and Cincy from the AAC but then can't kill the Big 12...

Unless the Big 12 adds UConn and Cincy first. Then if you convince the future PAC18 schools UT/TT/OU/OSU/KU/KSU and ACC schools WVU/UConn/Cincy to all vote to dissolve the conference holding a super majority (75%) while Baylor, TCU, and ISU can do nothing to stop it but pray for the B1G/SEC to come calling.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:34 am 
Senior
Senior

I know that Iowa St, Baylor, and TCU seem like the odd-balls out. I agree. I would put TCU and Baylor into the Mountain West who might add Tulsa and Houston or some other 2-team combo. Iowa St is in a fit of a tough situation. The only 2 liferafts I see for them would be the MAC, who would roll out the red carpet for them or the B1G. The only way I see the B1G even considering them is if schools like Iowa and Nebraska, who have had strong ties to Iowa St throughout college football history, put up a strong fight for Iowa St and the ACC schools become off-limits for the B1G.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:47 am 
Senior
Senior

Whats left of the B12 if UT and OU for the B10 will likely merge with the AAC(UC,Houston,SMU,USF,UCF)

Possibly WVU could head to the ACC.

TT and Oklahoma St could head to the PAC12.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:23 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

@ctx48c: The problem for the Pac is that there is no "non-Texas" scenario that moves the needle enough financially for the Pac-12 to consider it. If the rumors are true, it's pretty revealing that the Pac rejected the Ok/Ok St. combo by themselves.

I think the Pac made a mistake by not acquiescing whatever the Big 12 exiles were demanding back when they could've(?) had Colo, Texas, A&M, Tech, and the Oklahomas. That would've been an amazing TV deal and a terrific 16-team conference. Instead, the Pac went conservative with their expansion instead of swinging for the fences and taking a big risk.

And now A&M is long gone and Utah might be problematic long-term, because it's another mouth to feed in revenue distribution, and they don't have AAU, a close travel partner, or national cache going for them.

I wish the Pac would solve the GOR riddle all by itself by taking on the necessary 8 members of the Big 12 to dissolve the conference. Leave out Iowa State and WVU, make the Pac-10 one division and put Utah and Colo in the other division, and play 12 conference games - nine in-division, 3 in the other division, so that each team is still guaranteed Texas/California access annually. Non-conference football would no longer exist in the Pac-12. But your television inventory for all sports would be incredible, and you'd have very good strength of schedule if all of your opponents came from those 20 schools. No more I-AA bodybag games, no more $1M payouts to a MAC team, etc. Just 20 good teams each playing six home games and six road.

And the Pac-20 championship game, played annually in either Cowboys Stadium or the Rose Bowl, would be incredible.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Notsellingjeans wrote:
@ctx48c: The problem for the Pac is that there is no "non-Texas" scenario that moves the needle enough financially for the Pac-12 to consider it. If the rumors are true, it's pretty revealing that the Pac rejected the Ok/Ok St. combo by themselves.

Yup. I've taken heat for saying the same thing elsewhere: without Texas, the PAC becomes the far distant third conference. Should Notre Dame ever fully park its entire AD into the ACC, the PAC could even become the fourth.

I never thought that highly of the Utah grab, and to hear of their issues with other eastern schools nibbling into the Utes' California access, it kind of makes them a big problem in these realignment sagas. The PAC didn't need them (they did need Colorado), and now with them, get a school who already asserts its power, which it only had at a minor scale before (big difference between stiffing UTEP and stiffing OU-oSu), upon programs much bigger than it. It's kind of like Utah is a the new Seton Hall. Not good for the PAC.

To an extent, I fear Rutgers will do the same thing once in the B1G (forget about it, Pitt, Syracuse, and UConn). And it sounds like WVU wants to make sure any Big XII movement bridges them back to the heart of the conference.

The political baggage the Big XII schools have attached to them hurt their chances in a lot of places. That these alternative, future homes have scorned ex'es within them (PAC, B1G, SEC), may make it even harder for anyone to move as freely. It may just keep things in the Big XII "as is" just because. Even a school like Kansas, who is said to not be tied to KSU the same as OU is to oSu and Texas is to TT (and what happens in the B1G were ISU invited), made for sure that Kansas City was involved as a major venue for conference doings. KC will not be of value to the B1G, PAC, or SEC.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:53 pm 
Senior
Senior

The two super conferences will be the SEC and B10.They will have a large number of members 16 to 20 each.The SEC and B10 will eat up some B12 and ACC.Whats left of the ACC and B12 will divide up the AAC.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The ACC hurt themselves for the long-term by not taking WVU, doing an old BE-style deal with ND, and losing charter member Maryland.

The B12 is Texas' conference and they run the show. Bowlsby is their new pitch man. Those that could escape, did. They'll decide to expand if and when Texas gives their blessing or leaves themselves.

Their GoRs' shall start to unravel at some point, but it will require certan key schools to force the issue. It may be several years from now and not immediate. GoRs' apparently diminish in value as time goes by unless new expiration dates are enacted every few years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:22 pm 
Senior
Senior

Could be early as the new B10 tv contract in 2016.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 214  Next