NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:33 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Will it be possible for either Sacramento State or Northern Colorado (or both) to join the WAC as all-sports full members within the future, despite of currently being affiliate members on their respective specific sponsored sports in the upcoming academic season? If so, then it would be open for the Dakota schools (NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD), Nebraska-Omaha (with football to be restored) and Southern Utah as possible candidates to join. Unless the WAC plans to continue to search for fresh ones from the west side of the South Central and Midwest areas within D-I FCS, D-I NF and/or D-II.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Article out of the Kansas City Star providing some insight as to why the 'roos made the jump to the WAC. Some of the points include hosting of the WAC bball championship tourney, waiver of entrance fees, and full payment by the WAC of UMKC's Summit League exit fees.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/14/40 ... tball.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:19 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

richmole wrote:
Article out of the Kansas City Star providing some insight as to why the 'roos made the jump to the WAC. Some of the points include hosting of the WAC bball championship tourney, waiver of entrance fees, and full payment by the WAC of UMKC's Summit League exit fees.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/14/40 ... tball.html

But here's the real reason near the end of the article, from their AD: “Competitive success matters,” Hall said. “We need to put ourselves in a position to win more frequently, sooner . . . "

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 am 
Junior
Junior

Ncaa,
I like your take on that move with the Dakota schools. If you grab them, then that also opens the door for the Montana schools (Montana, Montana St.) plus Portland St. and Northern Arizona U. too! That would give the WAC a good core of what? - 10 or 12 football schools?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:04 am 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:
Ncaa,
I like your take on that move with the Dakota schools. If you grab them, then that also opens the door for the Montana schools (Montana, Montana St.) plus Portland St. and Northern Arizona U. too! That would give the WAC a good core of what? - 10 or 12 football schools?

If it were to occur, then yes, it would be possible for other West region schools, like the Montanas and Northern Arizona, to join up the WAC, to re-instate football, but as an FCS conference. Unless these other schools plan to upgrade their stadiums' capacity to at least 30k-40k to make it FBS material. However, the Dakota schools (UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU) might be great candidates for the MVC if the MVFC should be absorbed by it.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:25 pm 
Senior
Senior

I understand that Idaho is going Big Sky for all non-football sports and the Sun Belt for football-only. New Mexico St seems to be staying in the WAC for all non-football sports going to the Sun Belt for football-only. Would it be more likely that NMSU get an all-sport invite by the Sun Belt or a non-football invite to another conference like the Big Sky (which I think would be the best option)?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
I understand that Idaho is going Big Sky for all non-football sports and the Sun Belt for football-only. New Mexico St seems to be staying in the WAC for all non-football sports going to the Sun Belt for football-only. Would it be more likely that NMSU get an all-sport invite by the Sun Belt or a non-football invite to another conference like the Big Sky (which I think would be the best option)?

I believe that within a few years to come, New Mexico State should leave the WAC to either join the C-USA or re-join the Sun Belt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:49 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Idaho is a short bus trip for several schools in the Big Sky. NMSU is not.

The Big Sky being at 14 schools counting Idaho also means there really isn't room for NMSU.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:34 am 
Senior
Senior

BePcr07 wrote:

I assumed(nothing to back it) that NMSU will get a all sports invite when/if Western Kentucky leaves to the c-usa.(or what ever team leaves if it's a sun belt school.)

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:05 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

With the MVC taking Loyola from the Horizon League, the WAC could be in a position to feast on the remains of the Summit League. For example:

Horizon adds Oakland and IPFW to get back to 10 schools, leaving the Summit at 7 (DU, IUPUI, UNO, NDSU, SDSU, USD, and WIU). Since IUPUI, Denver, and South Dakota do not play baseball, and UNO is still transitioning, this leaves the Summit short 3 baseball programs and puts the conference's status in danger. Chicago State and SIU-Edwardsville both decline, and NJIT isn't willing to accept unless if they are guaranteed that the conference would have enough with them.

The WAC moves in and takes South Dakota, South Dakota State, and North Dakota State to get to 11 for 2014. All three begin working on recruiting North Dakota from the Big Sky. The WAC tells UNO and Denver to hang tight.

North Dakota agrees to leave the Big Sky for the WAC on the condition the WAC sponsors FCS football. The WAC then adds Cal Poly SLO and UC Davis for football only. Utah Valley announces plans to begin playing football and women's lacrosse, with the latter to join the MPSF.

The Big Sky then adds Denver, who avoids the awkward situation of returing to the WAC, and provides a travel partner for Northern Colorado.

Either the WAC or Missouri Valley Conference adds Western Illinois and UNO. The WAC allows the Missouri Valley Conference the right of first refusal in exchange for the MVFC's support of the WAC getting an automatic bid to the FCS Playoffs.

Big Sky (*non-football member)

North - Eastern Washington, Portland State, Idaho*, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State
South - Sacramento State, Weber State, Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, Denver*

WAC (# plays FCS football, $ plays men's soccer) [without UNO and WIU]

Western - Seattle$, CSU-Bakersfield$, Utah Valley#$, Grand Canyon$, New Mexico State, UTPA$
Central - Chicago State$, UMKC$, North Dakota#, North Dakota State#, South Dakota#, South Dakota State#
Football/Soccer Only - Cal Poly SLO#, UC Davis#, UNLV$, Houston Baptist$, San Jose State$, Air Force$, Oral Roberts$, Denver$

Eastern Illinois moves men's soccer fromt the Summit to the MVC.

WAC (# plays FCS football) [with UNO and WIU]

Western - Seattle$, CSU-Bakersfield$, Utah Valley#$, Grand Canyon$, New Mexico State
South - UTPA$, UMKC$, UNO$, Chicago State$, WIU$#
North - North Dakota#, North Dakota State#, South Dakota#, South Dakota State#
Football Only - Cal Poly SLO#, UC Davis#

MPSF Men's Soccer reforms with UNLV, Houston Baptist, San Jose State, Air Force, Denver, and Oral Roberts. Eastern Illnois moves Men's Soccer from Summit to the MVC.
(Oral Roberts Men to MVC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
With the MVC taking Loyola from the Horizon League, the WAC could be in a position to feast on the remains of the Summit League. For example:

Horizon adds Oakland and IPFW to get back to 10 schools, leaving the Summit at 7 (DU, IUPUI, UNO, NDSU, SDSU, USD, and WIU). Since IUPUI, Denver, and South Dakota do not play baseball, and UNO is still transitioning, this leaves the Summit short 3 baseball programs and puts the conference's status in danger. Chicago State and SIU-Edwardsville both decline, and NJIT isn't willing to accept unless if they are guaranteed that the conference would have enough with them.

The WAC moves in and takes South Dakota, South Dakota State, and North Dakota State to get to 11 for 2014. All three begin working on recruiting North Dakota from the Big Sky. The WAC tells UNO and Denver to hang tight.

North Dakota agrees to leave the Big Sky for the WAC on the condition the WAC sponsors FCS football. The WAC then adds Cal Poly SLO and UC Davis for football only. Utah Valley announces plans to begin playing football and women's lacrosse, with the latter to join the MPSF.

The Big Sky then adds Denver, who avoids the awkward situation of returing to the WAC, and provides a travel partner for Northern Colorado.

Either the WAC or Missouri Valley Conference adds Western Illinois and UNO. The WAC allows the Missouri Valley Conference the right of first refusal in exchange for the MVFC's support of the WAC getting an automatic bid to the FCS Playoffs.

Big Sky (*non-football member)

North - Eastern Washington, Portland State, Idaho*, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State
South - Sacramento State, Weber State, Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, Denver*

WAC (# plays FCS football, $ plays men's soccer) [without UNO and WIU]

Western - Seattle$, CSU-Bakersfield$, Utah Valley#$, Grand Canyon$, New Mexico State, UTPA$
Central - Chicago State$, UMKC$, North Dakota#, North Dakota State#, South Dakota#, South Dakota State#
Football/Soccer Only - Cal Poly SLO#, UC Davis#, UNLV$, Houston Baptist$, San Jose State$, Air Force$, Oral Roberts$, Denver$

Eastern Illinois moves men's soccer fromt the Summit to the MVC.

WAC (# plays FCS football) [with UNO and WIU]

Western - Seattle$, CSU-Bakersfield$, Utah Valley#$, Grand Canyon$, New Mexico State
South - UTPA$, UMKC$, UNO$, Chicago State$, WIU$#
North - North Dakota#, North Dakota State#, South Dakota#, South Dakota State#
Football Only - Cal Poly SLO#, UC Davis#

MPSF Men's Soccer reforms with UNLV, Houston Baptist, San Jose State, Air Force, Denver, and Oral Roberts. Eastern Illnois moves Men's Soccer from Summit to the MVC.
(Oral Roberts Men to MVC

Love the preview you just made. But I think that the Horizon should also take IUPUI so that IPFW could have a traveling partner along with Oakland. And the Big Sky should invite the remaining Dakota schools (or North Dakota to the WAC from the Big Sky if the Dakotas go to the WAC), along with Nebraska-Omaha (but not as a non-football member, suspecting that it should re-instate football). Maybe the Big Sky (because of Idaho) could try upgrade to FBS status if its members plan to do so, as long as each school has the FBS football stadium minimum requirements (i.e.: 30,000 seats) and inviting New Mexico State for all sports. As far as Western Illinois goes, they should join either in the MVC or the OVC.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Just wondering. Shouldn't the WAC now be planning to make a new identity as a non-football conference? Besides, I doubt that Seattle and New Mexico State would last long, which eventually these two will find new conferences (like Seattle re-joining the WCC and New Mexico St. re-joining either the Big West or the Sun Belt (full membership) or joining C-USA).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:49 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Well, the WAC already is a non-football conference. NMSU is stuck in conference affiliation purgatory as long as James Madison and Missouri State are even a possibility for the Sun Belt. Seattle will be added over Gonzaga's dead body.

The Summit League is short teams in baseball-something must happen before July 1 to correct that. Unless if the OVC coughs up multiple schools, the Summit League goes away because it will no longer be a multi-sport conference in the eyes of the NCAA on July 1, 2014.

The Summit League has two other outs: have two of its own members add baseball (looking at you South Dakota and IUPUI), or get legislative help from the NCAA. I'd expect the Summit to try o save itself up until about April 2014, at which point if no help is coming you will see the WAC gain several new members. Other conferences may also divvy up the Summit League's remains.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
Well, the WAC already is a non-football conference. NMSU is stuck in conference affiliation purgatory as long as James Madison and Missouri State are even a possibility for the Sun Belt. Seattle will be added over Gonzaga's dead body.

The Summit League is short teams in baseball-something must happen before July 1 to correct that. Unless if the OVC coughs up multiple schools, the Summit League goes away because it will no longer be a multi-sport conference in the eyes of the NCAA on July 1, 2014.

The Summit League has two other outs: have two of its own members add baseball (looking at you South Dakota and IUPUI), or get legislative help from the NCAA. I'd expect the Summit to try o save itself up until about April 2014, at which point if no help is coming you will see the WAC gain several new members. Other conferences may also divvy up the Summit League's remains.

I see your point. But I just feel bad that the WAC is no longer a football-sponsoring conference. What's worse is that there are no more FBS schools within the Western U.S. to check out (most are FCS or D-II). Most of the former ones are currently in the Pac-12 and the Mountain West. And the Summit should be deceased by next season, as long as most members merged with the WAC (which sponsors baseball).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:52 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I wonder if it would be possible for a WAC football conference to be revived down the road with the majority of the members being football only members keeping their Olympic sports in more geographically friendly leagues. You might have a group that looks something like this:

Idaho
New Mexico St
Montana
Montana St
ND St
SD St
UC Davis
Sacramento St
Cal Poly

UND, USD, and some of the other big sky schools could also be in consideration. I guess the big question is whether or not the NCAA has any legislation that would prevent they formation of a new FBS league and/or prevents a league that discontinued FBS football to bring it back?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 99  Next