NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:38 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 930 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 62  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Yes, but I'm telling you they'd change that rule to let BYU back in over Gonzaga, Denver or St.Mary's(their arena is a joke, you guys make me laugh by putting them in) joining.

You saw my order BYU, UTEP all sports, then nothing. Then I had a whole after the 4 options thing saying they won't go bball school and if they ever did, which they won't it would be BYU over them.

But since when was that rule changed? Even so, it's too late for BYU to return back to the MW, unless the two could plan an agreement meeting.

The rule isn't set forever they can change it if they want. If the MWC felt BYU other sports was worth it, they'd change it and let them in tomorrow. It's not too late for them to return BYU could say we're coming back w/ football to the MWC if you'll have us. Then at the next meeting BYU and UTEP would be announced as new MWC members

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I really don't get what BYU is trying to accomplish as an indie. Unless they think the Big 12 is a viable option, they better go back to the MWC hat in hand. The conference would take them in a heartbeat. Then how do you excuse Hawaii graciously?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't see how BYU gets into the B12 without becoming more flexible. BYU's demands and conditions are the exception, rather than the norm. They are certainly entitled to their theological practices and legal revenue enhancement means; but accomodations do have limits, particularly moving outside the region. If the MWC, as they did before, continues to be willing to adjust to, or compromise with, BYU's stances, then that's the most plausible option for BYU.
Hawaii, for fb only, may make a lot of sense as one stated earlier. Normally, partial memberships look to have an incomplete dimension to it. But Hawaii's location, with the travel involved, is a formidable factor; and for them to have split-conference associations, can be more practical for all concerned.

The not-giving-a-conference-your-all, is what Notre Dame is so cleverly adept to doing. BYU may think they can achieve something similar if they not incorporated into a top power conference. But those are fb issues. Hawaii is just trying to find a design that works for them without regressing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:20 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If UTSA ends up being the sleeping giant I think they will be the Roadunners and UTEP would be a good add for the MWC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Who is UTSA, and do they even play FBS football?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:57 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

westwolf wrote:
Who is UTSA, and do they even play FBS football?

The University of Texas San Antonio. They were fbs last season in the WAC and this season will be C- USA. They averaged 35,000 fans per game last season and are in a large media market without NFL football. They will quickly surpass the rest of the C-USA. They alSo play in the 65,000 seat Alamo Dome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:20 am 
Junior
Junior

Muskie,
UTSA had 8 wins last year, of which half were against 1AA (FCS) programs. They could not beat an established FBS program outside of New Mexico State, and Idaho. If they get more than 2 wins this year, I will be impressed. They start off at New Mexico (loss), then host Oklahoma State (loss), then at Arizona (loss), followed by at UTEP (loss), host Houston (loss), at Marshall (loss), host Rice (possible win), by week, then host UAB (possible win), at Tulsa (loss), host Tulane (should win), by week, at North Texas (winnable?), and finally host Louisiana Tech (loss). This will be their first year of a real BCS schedule and I don't see too many possible wins. If they play extremely well, they might get 4 wins (might!).

Anyone else have any thoughts on UTSA's 2013 season?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Case in point, UTSA was a former member of the Southland Conference (a former D-I FBS until the early 80's, and currently a D-I FCS ever since), and also originally a non-football all-sports school before adding football in the 2010's, which led the Roadrunners to join the WAC (who was endangered at the time) last season, along with Texas State (football-sponsoring) and UT-Arlington (non-football). If the MW plans to expand through the South Central U.S., then UTSA and/or UTEP would be a great addition in the future.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:40 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

NorwichCat11 wrote:
Muskie,
UTSA had 8 wins last year, of which half were against 1AA (FCS) programs. They could not beat an established FBS program outside of New Mexico State, and Idaho. If they get more than 2 wins this year, I will be impressed. They start off at New Mexico (loss), then host Oklahoma State (loss), then at Arizona (loss), followed by at UTEP (loss), host Houston (loss), at Marshall (loss), host Rice (possible win), by week, then host UAB (possible win), at Tulsa (loss), host Tulane (should win), by week, at North Texas (winnable?), and finally host Louisiana Tech (loss). This will be their first year of a real BCS schedule and I don't see too many possible wins. If they play extremely well, they might get 4 wins (might!).

Anyone else have any thoughts on UTSA's 2013 season?

UTSA did have an inflated record last year since it was a transitional season and they had lots of sub-fbs teams on that schedule but what makes me think UTSA is a promising program is their fan support and television market. I agree that their first few seasons at the fbs level are going to be rocky but once they adjust to the level of competition they could be a tour de force. Their location makes them not only a potential candidate for the MWC but also the AAC.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks for the info, I must admit not being aware of UTSA. I'm surprised that they're in CUSA, but then that poor conference has been raided badly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:20 am 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:
Thanks for the info, I must admit not being aware of UTSA. I'm surprised that they're in CUSA, but then that poor conference has been raided badly.

Same here, after only one season in the WAC (the final season of WAC football). Looked like that this decade's conference realignment had literally shook things.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:05 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Like muskie said we'd all refuse to play them to help force them to make a move to some conf. if we really hated them.

It's only UNLV from the old core who's giving BYU anything, though. The WAC'ers might be willing to deal, but the old gang isn't really yet. BYU's got to find two more games for 2015, and they'll likely have to be body-bag'ers; only four home games thus far. The indie life isn't exactly as idyllic, even if Mendenhall thinks his team could win 10-11 games were the Cougs cruising in the MWC.

If it isn't hostility, it's certainly something more emphatic and consistent about the resolve in not giving BYU any room to leapfrog the body of the MWC without putting in something equitable for all. It looks like some schools are just not going to help BYU make money their way.

I only wonder is all. I've thought for some time that with the AAC and MWC getting the money they are, there was room for a newer conference to emerge from the three bodies (AAC, MWC, and BYU). Still think it will happen, but maybe it's schools like UNR, USU, and UNLV and no longer a school like Wyoming, CSU, or New Mexico...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:29 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

For the old gang of 5 core BYU walking out on them certainly cut a lot deeper than it do for some of the newer MWC teams. UNLV wasn't part of the gang of 5 and had only been with that group since 1996 so that might explain why they are willing to work with the Cougars. If you look at those front range schools BYU doesn't really fit into their scheduling philosophy--

Air Force only has 2 free OOC games to work with and one is FCS, they want to play that last game somewhere east of the Mississippi
New Mexico plays UTEP and New Mexico St on a regular basis and need room for an FCS school and a paycheck from a BCS school
Colorado St has an annual game with Colorado and in recent years has taken a lot of pay day games
Wyoming also seems apt to schedule pay day games and then schedules C-USA/MAC/SBC types in hopes of getting wins and bowl eligibility.

The way things are shaping up I think there might be some reconciliation down the road--in 2015 BYU plays 5 MWC schools: Boise St, @San Jose St, @UNLV, Fresno St, and @Utah St. If access to the big bowls matters to BYU they could rejoin the MWC in 2015 and would only have to drop one of the 5 other games they have lined up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
If access to the big bowls matters to BYU they could rejoin the MWC in 2015 and would only have to drop one of the 5 other games they have lined up.

So you're saying that BYU should follow Notre Dame's footsteps?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Like muskie said we'd all refuse to play them to help force them to make a move to some conf. if we really hated them.

It's only UNLV from the old core who's giving BYU anything, though. The WAC'ers might be willing to deal, but the old gang isn't really yet. BYU's got to find two more games for 2015, and they'll likely have to be body-bag'ers; only four home games thus far. The indie life isn't exactly as idyllic, even if Mendenhall thinks his team could win 10-11 games were the Cougs cruising in the MWC.

If it isn't hostility, it's certainly something more emphatic and consistent about the resolve in not giving BYU any room to leapfrog the body of the MWC without putting in something equitable for all. It looks like some schools are just not going to help BYU make money their way.

I only wonder is all. I've thought for some time that with the AAC and MWC getting the money they are, there was room for a newer conference to emerge from the three bodies (AAC, MWC, and BYU). Still think it will happen, but maybe it's schools like UNR, USU, and UNLV and no longer a school like Wyoming, CSU, or New Mexico...

Fresno playing them says a lot, it was BYU and Utah that said we had to fire Tark asap if we wanted to be in the MWC when it started, knowing Fresno wouldn't do that b/c he had all the farmers putting in a lot of money to pay for the Savemart Center. BYU guys said if they would have fired Tark, they would have probably thought of something else to keep us out b/c they didn't like that Prez Welty was pro WAC 16.

Now look we will be playing them again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 930 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 62  Next