NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:31 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Not sure if this forum has a topic related with people sharing some ideas or concepts of jerseys of certain sports. For instance, I like this pic of the Florida State Seminoles, specifically the 2009 Nike Pro Combat Uniforms version:

One of those reasons is because of the number font it had, which I don't know what's the name of that font yet. All I know it's similar to the letter font being used on the endzones at Doak Campbell Stadium. The other of those reasons is the feather stripes on the pants. Currently, I'm on the process of trying to make my similar concept design. Eventually, I'll post it once it'll be done.

Actually, there are several concepts that impressed me, like the letter font of the Florida Gators (whose numbers should be the same as well), the letter font of the LSU Tigers (same thing as I mentioned on Florida).

Anyways, lemme know your ideas or concepts or suggestions or thoughts. Everyone is feeling free to welcome any of them if necessary.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:29 pm 
Senior
Senior

I've often wondered where different schools get their fonts for their fields and uniforms. Eventually, I gave up the thought and assumed it was customized. Helmet and uniform design is a very hot topic these days, especially in college football. Personally, I like classic looks like Penn St, Texas, and Alabama. However, if a school can pull off design, like Oregon, they should definitely do so. I do tend to gravitate towards the helmets of the uniform more than the jersey/pants. I don't think a school should EVER put their entire school name on a helmet. A simple logo, initials, letter, number, or plain color is easy on the eyes and so much classier. For example, Temple's "line-T" design is better, in my opinion, than their helmets that read "TEMPLE." On the same note, Missouri's "gold-M" design was better, in my opinion, than their current design with the Tiger in the oval. Even Oregon, who has the ability create a crazy helmet design, and probably make it look decent, has stuck with either the "O" helmet or the "wings" helmet design.

I guess I got off track for what this thread is for. My point is, I would redesign those uniforms which are out of control, beginning with the helmet which can make or break a uniform. Again, all in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
I've often wondered where different schools get their fonts for their fields and uniforms. Eventually, I gave up the thought and assumed it was customized. Helmet and uniform design is a very hot topic these days, especially in college football. Personally, I like classic looks like Penn St, Texas, and Alabama. However, if a school can pull off design, like Oregon, they should definitely do so. I do tend to gravitate towards the helmets of the uniform more than the jersey/pants. I don't think a school should EVER put their entire school name on a helmet. A simple logo, initials, letter, number, or plain color is easy on the eyes and so much classier. For example, Temple's "line-T" design is better, in my opinion, than their helmets that read "TEMPLE." On the same note, Missouri's "gold-M" design was better, in my opinion, than their current design with the Tiger in the oval. Even Oregon, who has the ability create a crazy helmet design, and probably make it look decent, has stuck with either the "O" helmet or the "wings" helmet design.

I guess I got off track for what this thread is for. My point is, I would redesign those uniforms which are out of control, beginning with the helmet which can make or break a uniform. Again, all in my opinion.

I like the way you think, when it comes to re-design uniforms. And if you want to, you can try making these designs and show them in pics one day. And I do agree on the fact that most schools with "pure traditional" classic styles like Alabama, Texas, Penn State, etc.; these elite schools should re-brand themselves. In Penn State's case for example, their letter font on the men's basketball jersey looks unique. It should be also applied to the football version, in lettering and numbering.

P.S.: In terms of jersey quality, you like skill-cut wide-spread half-sleeved jerseys, like most quarterbacks wear (i.e.: John Elway, Peyton Manning, Kyle Orton, etc.); or the tight-sleeved line-cut jerseys, like most linemen wear?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:27 pm 
Senior
Senior

I think the jersey should definitely match the position, much like the safety equipment. The face mask for a kicker would be different than that of a running back or a lineman. The shoulder for a quarterback would be different than that of a linebacker. I know there's more, and probably better, examples. What I don't like is when players cut or make personal-preference changes to the uniforms, but I'm also am not crazy about uniform designers creating uniforms for the main purpose of aesthetics rather than usefulness. The sleeves should definitely be position-oriented when designed, like face masks, shoulder pads, etc. One thing I will never agree with is players deciding which padding they will wear. That is not an area of personal preference, but one of necessity. It might be uncomfortable, but discomfort is way better than a broken femur.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
I think the jersey should definitely match the position, much like the safety equipment. The face mask for a kicker would be different than that of a running back or a lineman. The shoulder for a quarterback would be different than that of a linebacker. I know there's more, and probably better, examples. What I don't like is when players cut or make personal-preference changes to the uniforms, but I'm also am not crazy about uniform designers creating uniforms for the main purpose of aesthetics rather than usefulness. The sleeves should definitely be position-oriented when designed, like face masks, shoulder pads, etc. One thing I will never agree with is players deciding which padding they will wear. That is not an area of personal preference, but one of necessity. It might be uncomfortable, but discomfort is way better than a broken femur.

You have a logic point. But I personally like to see quarterbacks (and some other offensive skill players) on jerseys with skill-cut wide-spreaded sleeves that reach upto almost the elbows. Call me crazy, but that's my opinion.